Anonymous
Years ago

A-league sign new TV deal with foxtel - 350m 6 yrs

How does that compare to what the NBL is going to be looking at for its next deal. I think the structures are slightly different though as it appears NBL have more control over their product and can sell NBL TV etc

Topic #40524 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL controls the product. Foxtel just cues it up.

Reply #614295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No comparison in the slightest.

Reply #614300 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Foxtel betting on itself to still be around in 6 years?

Reply #614305 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Foxtel is still the place to go for live sport and I don't see that changing. A lot of these streaming packages don't give you true HD, and who wants to watch sport with anything less than the absolute best possible picture?

Reply #614314 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

A-League is big time now, and it's cashed up.

It's not just Lowy's $$$ anymore.

It has Fox giving it $56+ mil per year including contra, an extra $10+mil per year expected from FTA and big time sponsors Hyandai, Qantas, Harvey Norman, NAB etc.

To add to that it has loaded owners City Football Group/Dep Prime Minister of UAE putting $$$ into Melbourne City.

Ofcourse you've then got Western Sydney Wanderers with 26,000+ members.

It's just staggering considering the figures the NBL gets to play with... I'm curious as to how much they have to play with and what they're getting from sponsors. Even with LK's $7 odd million (per year?) it's still small coin in comparison.

Even getting say...$1,2,5 or 10 million per year from Fox Sports or any major sponsor would just be huge for the NBL.

Reply #614329 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

What the hell. I swear anytime I see footage of A League the stadiums are damn near empty still.

Reply #614350 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Same as NRL

Reply #614351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey the thing is they are very popular in Sydney and Melbourne. These are the markets that matter

Reply #614358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rugby league gets more MSM coverage in Sydney than any other winter sport for so few spectators, how many people were at test cricket in Brisbane last week, bugger all. Basketball is a reasonably popular sport considering how much MSM it gets.

Reply #614365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Msm?

Reply #614372 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Mainstream media

Reply #614373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A-League is seriously overrated. It gets way too much $$$ for the product that it produces. Its crowds outside of Melbourne Sydney and Brisbane are not great. Theyre fortunate that they are the 3 most important markets and thats all that matters.

Apart from Melbourne, the crowds are usually no better than half full around the league. The stadiums they play in are far too big for the demand. Yet MSM seem to think they deserve top billing when its clear they arent as popular as they think they are.

They are bigger than the NBL for sure, but take away the 3 big markets and they are comparable to the NBL. And the NBL gets FA coverage and $$$ in comparison.

Overrated.

Reply #614379 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Well...I mean at the end of the day they are the three markets that matter though.

11,036,000 of Australia's population in those three capital city markets alone.

The rest of the capital cities make up roughly 4,592,000.

Reply #614381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It relies too much on the Melbourne, Sydney and a lesser extent Brisbane market. Its still only a 10 team competition, and some of its matches draw equal to or less than some NBL games.

Not saying its not bigger than the NBL, but i think its overrated as a whole. Its no where near as big as NRL or AFL, and thats where they want to be. Right now there are NBL clubs that can hold their own against the A-League. Its just the media dont recognise it.

Reply #614387 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I think the financial backing of Australias richest man has given the A league clubs financial stability which is exactly what we hope LK will do for NBL clubs.
With the stability comes credibility and reliability.
Then NBL might have a chance at getting "free" media attention which will help pull sponsors etc.

Reply #614423 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:00 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754