Indominos-Rex
Years ago

Sydney Kings Sign Garrett Jackson

The Sydney Kings have today announced the signing of 6'7 SF/PF Garrett Jackson. He most recently played in Tasmania. He also briefly played for Melbourne United last year as an injury replacement for Warrick.

What are everyone's thoughts of the signing? Personally I find it odd. The Kings clearly have no guard depth and this certainly doesn't help. With that being said he should be a solid player off the bench.

Gaze also said in a twitter video, that he plans on playing Greg Whittington at the guard spot, that's even more bizarre IMO.

http://www.sydneykings.com/news/kings-sign-garrett-jackson/

Topic #40529 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Odd signing.

Jackson's alright, but I wouldn't have thought he'd be good enough to get ahead of Garlepp in the rotation.

Not sure if Whittington at the 2 gives them enough ball handling and penetration. Could be good on the defensive end, but don't think it's a great move offensively.

Reply #614402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's here, known and trying to naturalise.
There's guy in the Dleaugue playing, Oh wait....

Reply #614403 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's odd is that this isn't really a rushed move by one person but presumably a considered move by three coaches and a GM. And they've specifically ignored what I would've thought was a stronger need at guard.

The current top two sides each have a squadron of guards. Sydney has Lisch, Cadee and then?

Reply #614404 | Report this post

Juwan Howard  
Years ago

Underwhelming

Reply #614405 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If I'm an opposing coach and I get into a playoff series vs the Kings, I'd try to apply full court pressure to force turnovers and to wear Lisch and Cadee out.

Reply #614408 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

It certainly is a bizarre looking move. He's 6'7", and they list him as a forward. Is there any likelihood the Kings are looking at him as a 2 guard? @Indominos-Rex, I'm not on Twitter, can you post a link to Gaze's statement about Whittington playing the 2?
@LV, I think you're right, it seems a really likely thing to rotate the heck out of your deep guard rotation and flatten Lisch and Cadee into the court.
Why would they choose a front court player???

Reply #614410 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Freethrows, Jackson played some games for United as an injury replacement for Hakim Warrick last year.

Definitely not a 2. He's a 4.

Reply #614412 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"If I'm an opposing coach and I get into a playoff series vs the Kings, I'd try to apply full court pressure to force turnovers and to wear Lisch and Cadee out."

To be fair, they're probably averaging about 36 mins a game already, so it will be tough to wear them out.

My bigger concern would be that if one of them had an injury (even a short term one); there is no backcourt depth.

Reply #614430 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I remember he had one nice game last year for Melbourne that I saw. I guess he's one of those typical undersized tweener 3/4 types, depending on what level he is playing at. Doesn't really fill a need, but I think Gaze will trust him more for mins over Moller, who for all his flashes still showed he needs some more seasoning after those couple of minutes last game.

I'm a bit surprised we didn't get a guard, but at the same time it may just be that there were none available immediately. I'm definitely concerned about our depth at PG though... especially if one of our starting guards has to miss any time.

Reply #614431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guards- Lisch, Cadee, Prewster, Whittington, Newley
Threes- Newley, Whittington, Moller
Fours- Whittington, Garlepp, Moller , Jackson.
Fives-- Maric, Powel, Hill.

As has been previously mentioned light on ball handlers if Lisch or Cadee goes down, thought they could've looked at Indiana Faithful. Good luck to Jackson , not certain he's the answer.

Reply #614435 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"thought they could've looked at Indiana Faithful."

Possibly they did. Very briefly. Then shook their heads and went "nahh". Which is about right

Reply #614436 | Report this post

Indominos-Rex  
Years ago

@Freethrows Here's the link.

https://twitter.com/SydneyKings/status/811722647247601664

Let me if that works

Reply #614439 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'd prefer Whittington play the 4 than the 2, and we give the guy more than 1 or 2 post ups a game considering he has pretty good touch on his awkward looking little one-handers around the hoop.

Reply #614443 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's not like they were overly rushed. How long ago did Blake leave them?

With Perth making a similar call rather than place Martin "properly", maybe the market for ball-handlers is very tough?

Reply #614447 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I reckon they would've been better off bringing their assistant coach Luke Kendall out of retirement then sign this undersized power forward.

Jackson looked every bit a SEABL level import with MU last season.

Reply #614449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson top 3 in the seabl I reckon last season, behind Kendle and Booker.

Reply #614451 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The bio says he is 25.
If born in 1985 that makes him 31.

Reply #614454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the kings media manager matt mcquade doesn't give Jackson any credit that means he's average at best.

Reply #614488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when has MM been Media Manager?

Reply #614498 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I really don't understand this signing?

Why not either-
a) trust the core players you have
Or
b) sign a quality PG or knock down shooting 2 guard
?????

What sort of message does this send to Whittington, Garlepp, Hill, Powell, etc. ?

With Gaze already struggling to share minutes and manage rotations, I just don't understand this move.

Anyone?

Reply #614504 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

@Air Delay, as others have postulated, most likely there's no competent PG/combo G out there available at this time of the season at the pay rate being offered. King's bench other than Powell and Garlepp are somewhat unreliable.

With the Kings current rotation and playing time distribution, outside of starting 5 and Powell, Gaze only has anywhere from 30-45 minutes of playing time available to distribute between Garlepp, Jackson, Hill and the rest. Tommy will most likely get his 15 mins so Jackson will only be playing anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on who is in foul trouble or how much of a 'microwave' he could be.

With that sort of playing time for Jackson, you probably won't see much changes from what the Kings are currently running but it does send the message that Gaze doesn't trust Hill, Moller and Prewster in tight game situation, which is pretty much every game this season.

From what I saw, Jackson's offensive game is more 3 than 4 and when he gets going can somewhat mirror a knock down shooter particularly the corner 3s. He was utilized mainly as 4 when he replaced Warrick last year, either DD didn't know how to use him which won't be surprising or maybe he couldn't cut it as a 3 in the NBL?

Reply #614529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hill and Moller have shown that they go alright if given more than one minute here or there, certainly Hill in the 4 must wander what's happening, other than the starting 5 plus Garlepp and Powel no other players have had time to settle, could haunt the kings on the run home.

Reply #614575 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

All that basketball knowledge between the coaching staff and JvG and THIS is what they come up with... It really boggles the mind...

I don't buy the "there are none around" guesses, as they've had weeks to source someone and you can't tell me that there isn't a better ball handler out there that is a better option than bringing in yet another forward...

I actually like Jackson and think he could do well, but that obviously puts Moller on the outer (who should never have been promoted to full roster in the first place) and also probably Prewster as well (who is fairly useless and unreliable at all stages, not just pressure situations).

Gaze's comment about what he brings to the team, rebounding etc, is stuff that our existing players should be bringing, so not sure if they're just rolling the dice with our guards and hoping for the best but trying to strengthen areas that we're lacking in...

After a great start to the season, there are some really weird recruitment choices, it makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes now...

Reply #614588 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Jackson is a SEABL guy so he'd come quite cheap.

But point is between Whittington, Newley, Garlepp, Hill, Powell, Moller they well and truly have the 3 and 4 spots covered.

So I don't buy the "no one's available" thing. Just go get a cheaper guard instead of a cheaper forward, when you're already stacked with forwards!

Reply #614590 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Which cheaper guard who is available immediately do you suggest?

Reply #614592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They don't need to be available immediately as of *right now*. They've known Blake wasn't returning for several weeks.

Secondly, how would I know? I didn't know Jackson was available either! But the point is, with literally thousands of pro basketball players around the world with many of them currently not employed by a basketball team, I can't accept that with several weeks of opportunity they couldn't find a guard.

It's just not a good enough excuse. People should just admit that they've gone with a forward. That's their decision, whatever, but don't say there weren't any guards available.

Reply #614593 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^me

Reply #614594 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Again, I also find it a strange signing in that it doesn't really fill a need, but at the same time I think the folks in charge know as well as we all do (or better) that we need backcourt depth. The only reason I can think of that we didn't address it was that we couldn't find anyone, and maybe a bunch of offers were made and nothing eventuated from it?

Reply #614596 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

@Air Delay, as others have postulated, most likely there's no competent PG/combo G out there available at this time of the season at the pay rate being offered.
Isn't the pay rate likely to be in line with what Blake was getting? They only have to pay for part of a season too.

They couldn't find a single guard out there? It didn't need to be a major scorer or big name. Just someone serviceable.

Otherwise I think they're gambling with their season. Two teams rolling in the top four and a few other threats to what was a previously strong position at the top for Sydney.

I would've grabbed a guard and then trusted the rest of the rotation. Easier to play small than run into trouble distributing the ball.

Reply #614605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll say it again - Tre Nicholls is in Perth right now. That guy could help any NBL team. He'd be an excellent backup guard in the NBL. In fact I think he'd be a great starting guard in the NBL.

Reply #614607 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I reckon they shoulda given Isaac Turner a shot!
Not really a PG, but very strong handles & smooth shooter...
AND he's been on their train on roster all year. If/when he's naturalised, he'd be worth a look at!

Reply #614624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What message is this sending to the rest of the team/forwards as well, Jackson trained with kings preseason so maybe they know something we don't, still seems strange.

Reply #614625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turner has been touted around the seabl and no one's picked him up.

Reply #614630 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754