Anonymous
Years ago

Gleeson: our local players need to lift

Interesting comments by gleeson in today's West that the focus was on the Australian, senior players to lift, not the imports. He mentioned the local guys who had been here "three or four years" had disappointed.

Good to see gleeson can see his imports are actually doing a solid job. Who would be the Aussies he's referring to? Wagstaff, Kenny, knight, redhage?

Topic #40533 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaff and Hire.

Reply #614472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Kenny to a lesser extent.

Question marks over Wagstaff of whether or not he still wants to be playing.

Reply #614473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't think wagstaff had been that bad this season then I heard the other day he was shooting 30 % from the field. Ouch

Reply #614476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's using the term 'locals' very loosely. Hire is it and he couldn't hit water out of a boat, so he must mean the interstaters they want us to think are from WA. The sooner they miss the finals, the sooner this joke for a coach is no longer left in charge. Good riddance I say

Reply #614477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny and wroe need to lift. Yes wroe is normally a DP but as a regular rotation player he needs to contribute something. Too often he has a zero next to his name

Reply #614480 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He's using the term 'locals' very loosely. Hire is it and he couldn't hit water out of a boat, so he must mean the interstaters they want us to think are from WA.
Or he's using it to refer to non-imports, the way literally everyone else uses the term.

Reply #614481 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Obviously he means the non-imports, not claiming people are from Perth.

Imports are not a good fit, but they are what they are. JJ is generally doing a decent job on the scoreboard. McKay is getting boards and protecting the RIM.

Gus seems to have gone backwards since last season. We need him for banging against the other big bodies, but he needs to do more offensively.

Hire is doing his usual job on D, but again needs to score a few points.

Wagstaff is doing ok, but he's taking too many shots to get his score up, needs to improve.

Wroe needs to show he can do more, and preferably score when open, or at least starting feeding the guys inside. He's only a DP, so not expecting much of him, but he's out of age next season and if he wants a senior slot on any team, he needs to show improvement.

Reply #614483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The more I see this team I think there is a lack of hunger this season. Many of these players have won 3 championships you have to wonder whether they want it enough.

Reply #614536 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Angus, Wagstaff, Hire and Redhage are all passengers this year.

Reply #614539 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

Brandt has been battling an ongoing injury the last month or so. He's playing through pain every game.

Reply #614543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The good sign is that Johnson appears to be playing better and better.

21pts in 26 minutes tonight.

But we can't afford Knight to have a quiet game as he did and Wroe is pretty bad and plays 12 minutes (not that there's much alternative).

Martin's injury is so damaging not only because we lose what he brings to the table but there is so little by way of point guard depth behind him.

Kenny is a good back-up but as a starter playing huge minutes would be in the lower tier, and Wroe you'd have to say is struggling to be at NBL level even as a back-up.

Reply #614551 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The more I see this team I think there is a lack of hunger this season. Many of these players have won 3 championships you have to wonder whether they want it enough.

Simple fact is that we lost Jawai, Jervis, and Jermaine. And we replaced them with Jameel, Gus, and JJ. As it turns out, that's not an improvement.
At the same time Wagstaff, Knight, and Redhage are a year older. Damo missed the start of last season, but played most of it, and finished strong, and at the moment we're without him.
Unfortunately the Cats just aren't as strong as they were this time last year, whilst at the same time other teams have progressed massively.

We're still doing ok, but that's it, just ok. In many previous seasons that probably would have been enough for 4th spot, but not this year.

Reply #614552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz has been trying to lift all season but struggled immensely. Doesn't get more local than him. Great to see this club struggle so much. Like it's just the absolute highlight of the nbl17

Reply #614554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee whiz Gus has been poor recently

Reply #614562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's under more pressure this season?
Gleeson
Demopulous
Dazz
Dazz's Poor Wife / Partner / "Friend" after each and every loss

In kinda related news, love the signing of Sookhage to the Redbacks. Each whistle there will be a contest between him and Spackovic as to who can whinge the most but still try to look cool whilst doing it!

Reply #614565 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Redhage, Brandt and Hire are playing under 15 MPG. Could well be hard for them to get going and find consistency in that time.

That said, I imagine he's speaking of Wagstaff and Hire who've been stronger contributors in the past, being part of the team core.

Reply #614571 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Gleeson needs to lift his game.He's good at blaming others but needs to look at his own coaching as he needs to play the young players more in Bragg and Kernich-Drew.i've watched all there games and if Wroe is a better player than Bragg i'l walk to Perth from the Sydney

Reply #614595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt is trying to play through an Achilles injury.

Reply #614599 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Gleeson says local players need to lift, how long does he wait? He has other options.

Kenny has been just ok, he is a solid back up but not a starter. Wroe should not be in the NBL... play Bragg more minutes.

Hire can still rebound and defend but doesn't give much offence and Wagstaff is getting past it (Redhage past it 2 years ago)...So give vague some minutes.

And where is Kernich Drew??? The guy can shoot!

This is likely the last season with the core guys of the last few championships (hire, Redhage, Wagstaff and maybe Knight) Gleeson needs to start preparing the next crop.

Reply #614604 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

To be fair to Gleeson, he called the local players out and they didn't respond. Generally, when a coach has a go at an individual or group of players they respond the next game. Wagstaff, Hire, Redhage??? Could be indicative of their attitude to the coach but more likely they are just not good enough anymore.

Will be interesting to see who Perth poach next year, as they are pretty ordinary at developing their own talent.

Reply #614629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure it's a quick fix. Most of the local players signed multi year deals recently. It's been a great core that has been the foundation for this period of Gleeson/bevo success (3 titles) but it's past its best now.

In hindsight, the cats should've made a bigger play to keep jawai and Jervis

Reply #614636 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Kenny is rubbish and nowhere near good enough to start in this league.
Wroe appears to be struggling in the limited minutes I've seen him.

Knight and flopphage need to retire.

Dunno what's happened to wagstaffs shot, but it's too inconsistent to keep trying it.

Hire has never been anything more than hustle and an annoying bastard to watch play.

Gleeson is a flog.

Reply #614637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wroe struggling is putting it nicely

Reply #614640 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'd rather go with DKD starting at SG then hire, the kid can shoot. Better off developing him and giving him the minutes. He is pretty much a younger Ingram..why not go with him if they need a 3 point shooter.

Some of Gleesons rotations and subs are very questionable at times. Why have Johnson and Mckay in the team if they aren't going to play at the most important moments in the game. Hire is not a starter and Redhage should be used more in place of Wagstaff if he isn't producing.

Bragg needs to get Wroe's minutes....Wroe is not going to get much better than he is. Bragg has a lot more potential.

Reply #614641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For wroe to be struggling, shouldn't he have played at a better level prior to his form slump. I think if you replace struggling with sh!t, then my friend you are spot on. He stunk it up all year with Stirling, so how was he magically going to improve at nbl level?

Reply #614643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah they should consider removing wroe from the rotation and play Prather at PG when Kenny isn't in and give more minutes to JJ and DKD on the wings.

Most of the games in this league are close and playing wroe for 12 minutes could well be the difference between winning or losing

Reply #614647 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Wroe is an average defender with limited offensive ability. He doesn't have exceptional speed or size. Perth need to start looking at the future and it's not with Wroe. He is a poor mans Brad Robbins at the most.

Damo will be a year older next year, as will Knight. Kenny Brandt and Hire are already at their peak, Redhage is gone after this year and Wagstaffs best days look to be gone already. If anything good is to come of missing the playoffs it will be the realisation to recruit and rebuild for the future.

I don't think Gleeson is a bad coach but the Cats roster is a downgrade on last year and most teams has loaded up significantly.

Reply #614659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say your are accurate except replace limited offensive ability with "no"

Reply #614661 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

hahaha fair call.

Reply #614663 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Gleeson needs to go, period. He recruited this team so if the players aren't getting the job done then I would fire Gleeson. He had obviously made the decision to hardly ever play Redhage from the start of the year when he could give us some extra offense that no one else can provide. Now Redhage is not shooting the open shots like he used to and is not the same player in terms of effectiveness- this is mostly Gleesons fault.
Keep: Bragg, Martin, Prather, Kernich-Drew
Cut: Wroe, Wagstaff, Redhage, Knight
Maybe: Hire, Kenny
Recruiting targets for next season: Motum, 2 x NBA calibre imports

Reply #614666 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@JR, I think you're pretty close to the mark. The only thing is, Knight is one of the best big men in the league (when healthy*).

I don't understand why you'd consider keeping Hire. Other than the fact he's a WA local, he has nothing going for him. He's certainly not a starter, aat absolute best, he's a cheap 10th or 11th man.

Marto/Kenny/Bragg
Import/DKD
Prather/(Aussie recruit, maybe a College guy)
Motum or other high calibre Aussie/Knight
Import/Brandt

Reply #614693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Local players played poorly vs Adelaide. Import gets sacked

Reply #614771 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It's interesting to think how this team would be going if they had retained Beal, Jervis and Jawai. All were within grips of signing but slipped through the fingers. They still would have had an import slot up their sleeve to cover for Knight and Martins injuries.

Reply #614774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, it's now looking like we should have brought them back, especially Jawai and Jervis.

Reply #614948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they kept Jawai and Jervis to go with Knight that there is by far the best frontline in the nbl. People tend to forget how good Perth was in the playoffs last season.

Granted they lost their road games, but they were putting on a defensive clinic and a lethal half court game.That team would be on top of the league right now.

Reply #614953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai, Knight and Jervis turned into:
McKay, Knight and Wagstaff

Reply #614954 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754