Anonymous
Years ago

Is it time for Marvin and Gleeson to go?

I can handle having a tough season in an ultra competitive league, noting our Finals MVP and captain has been injured for a large chunk.

But this slap-stick, panic-driven management and poor treatment of players is unacceptable.

All good things must come to an end and these two have done some great things for a club, but I think they've now lost the plot.

Topic #40542 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marvin needs to remove himself from roster decisions and just focus on running the operations of the club. Hes been great in turning the club into a powerhouse off the court, but the recruiting needs to be left to a dedicated general manager and coaching staff.

Gleeson will probably be released if the Cats fail to make the playoffs.

Reply #614744 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

^^^ Agreed

Reply #614746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What sort of cold-hearted organisation sacks someone at Christmas? Hopefully they gave JJ enough time that he can fly back to the States to be with family.

Reply #614747 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Does anyone here have any reliable intel on who is making their roster decisions?

In off seasons Marvin is always on scouting trips in the US for imports.

Gleeson is known for having many contacts and i cant imagine he would be too happy if he doesn't have final say on imports. After all its his job on the line if the team isn't performing

Reply #614749 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

Gleeson wont be replaced or released if the Cats don't make the playoffs.He has two title in 4 seasons and a healthy wining%. Infact he is the most successful coach in the Cats history.He will be given Another chance next season.

Guys like Hire and Wagstaff are playing for their futures in the rest of the season.McKay is a amazing shot blocker but in a team without any offensive firepower he is not the right fit. Her fits in a team like the Hawks or the 6ers where offence is not limited to one player.If Perth get an explosive combo guard then McKay wont need to be a scorer like the Cats need him to be right now.

Reply #614752 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Sacking somebody just before Christmas is the pits. I am not happy about that, it is simply a shitty way to treat somebody.
Hopefully yes he gets to spend Christmas with Family.

In all honesty, I think we have to wait and reserve judgement on the overall strategy until we see how the replacement goes.

As for who makes roster decisions, the coaches are heavily involved, only thing was this year Gleeson was in Rio, whilst the others were scouting summer-league.

Reply #614754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire and Wagstaff are not playing for their futures. They have multi-year contracts. Hence why JJ had to go, they had no flexibility elsewhere.

Reply #614755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look, I understand the decision from the perspective of the team wants to make the play-offs and the way things currently are, they don't look like they'll make it.

What's upsetting is that its Johnson that has to cop it again, especially when he's been playing better of late and may have been their best player in their most recent game.

Unfortunately the inadequacies of other players costs Johnson his job. Such is the life an import, I guess. He seemed like a genuinely good character too. He was a team man, and well liked by his team mates. I guess the fact he was willing to suck up the first sacking and come back is a testament to his character in the first place.

Next time Marvin trots out that line that the Cats hire on character first and foremost, you can call bullshit, because they've fired JJ twice despite being of high character and more recently, of good quality on the court.

Reply #614756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO, I think its time for a new leader at the helm of perths coaching staff. Players seem as though they need a fresh change, hear a different voice, start the rebuilding process now with a new coach.

Gleeson done a great job but their comes a time when you start seeing signs things are at a stand still and the only way to move forward is change.

The way the Nick and Gleeson has handled JJ this year is unprofessional and embarrassing, as a club that over the years lead the NBL in the standard depth they year they truly dropped the ball.

Releasing JJ not once but twice which in directly lay blame on his performance is disgusting!!

Nick Marvin its time for a change!!

Reply #614758 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Where do you get that they have blamed it on his performance?
Both times they have stated it was team balance, which unfortunately is accurate. JJ plays as a 2/3, and in the right team could probably make it just as a 3. Unfortunately they need a 2, or even a combo, especially with Martin out.

Reply #614768 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Gleeson was in Rio when Nick and the Assistants coaches were in America finding there imports. Who made the descion????

Reply #614779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh yes the American junkette.
Marvin is only interested in one thing Marvin. He's lost his power base in the NBL and it's time to move on. He's overseeing the demise of Perth this season and if there were share holders in the Wildcats he would be out at the next AGM.

Reply #614797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Both times they have stated it was team balance, which unfortunately is accurate. "

Debatable. At the time of the first sacking, they said they wanted 3pt shooting (and Martin wasn't injured at the time). I think it was just a convenient description because the man they'd chosen to replace him was only a 3pt shooter.

This time the "balance" description is probably a bit fairer but it's not to do with JJ's play - it's the horrible point guard play the team has without Martin. They need a ball handler/offensive initiator.

Reply #614799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Where do you get that they have blamed it on his performance?"

Whenever you are sacked there's always an inference that your performance wasn't up to scratch.

Reply #614804 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Gleeson needs to go as does Marvin for signing him to an extension. The wildcats can no longer count on having the most talented team so their bum coach needs to be shown the door. If I was Bendat I would be thinking Joey Wright or Brian Goorjian

Reply #614849 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'Next time Marvin trots out that line that the Cats hire on character first and foremost, you can call bullshit, because they've fired JJ twice despite being of high character and more recently, of good quality on the court.'

He's always been full of shit, especially when saying Wroe was going to be more than an adequate fill in for Damo about 6 weeks ago

Reply #614852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a worry if Marvin is in control of player personnel decisions. I heard that interview referenced above where Marvin was absolutely convinced that wroe was going to be a quality starting player in this league. I think it was 6PR should be online somewhere if you want to listen

Reply #614854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anything that Marvin says is generally bullshit,
Yes let's go the USA and select a side that he has apparently selected and not be responsible. Bye Bye Nick the Dick.

Reply #614864 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The reality is, in most professional sports, that "recruitment" and contracts and are separate.
Gleeson is responsible for the first, Marvin for the 2nd.
So Gleeson says I want player X, Marvin tries to do the deal. If the player wants to much, Marvin says no. Saying Marvin shouldn't be involved, is rubbish, its his job to manage the budget.

And by and large, you'd have to say that he's done a pretty decent job.

Reply #614873 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Yeah it was 6PR

Who has the power to get rid of Marvin anyway?

Reply #614877 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The board, presumably.

Reply #614889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is more to this story....maybe get the facts first

Reply #614899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell us the facts then!

Reply #614901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz you sprout so much crap. No wonder people hate Perth.
It's been established already that Marvin specifically goes to the US every year to assist with recruiting. So they aren't separate at all.
Please don't simply give us your opinion as fact. When it is simply untrue.

Reply #614902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is wrong with Marvin being involved in the recruitment process? Surely he isn't the only GM who has a say in who the team recruits?

His trip to the Summer League was with the assistant coaches and team manager. Nothing wrong with that.

Reply #614903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes the managing director, not the general manager. Im not sure if there is much of a difference in what that actually means, but he is involved in the complete operations of all facets of the club from player recuitment, sponorship deals etc all the way down to what type of music is played at games.

You really need a dedicated manager specifically for recruiting, who reports to the managing director for final sign off.

It seems that Marvin is a little too involved in everything and its irked too many fans.

Reply #614911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz telling us the opposite of the truth. Does he really believe his own crap?

Reply #614930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's time for Gleeson to go, with Dazz to take his place. If he knows even a small fraction of what his arrogance and know-it-all attitude here indicate then he should be a brilliant coach and his personality will fit in seamlessly with the flog culture that Perth have built. There is no issue in basketball that Dazz hasn't got the solution for so make it happen Nick. Or are to too scared because you know that with his business skills and savvy he will quickly make you redundant as well? ;)

Reply #614961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz the new "The Customer" The only difference is that Dazz isn't a real bully in life. Equally they know SFA all about basketball.

Reply #614966 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Good to see all you anons are getting into the christmas spirit

Reply #614971 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Yep, too much criticism from dudes scared to put their "name" to their work.

At least be man enough to have an identity if you're going to be controversial.

Reply #614986 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:51 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754