Anonymous
Years ago

Potential Johnson replacements

So far on the rumour mill I've heard:
Cedric Jackson
Ryan broekhoff
Archie Goodwin

What's the likelihood of these? Even though he can't shoot I wouldn't mind Cedric. Would be an amazing defensive backcourt with Martin.

Any other potential signings?

Topic #40546 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its dazz or bust at this point. Cats are done, the reign of terror has come to an ugly end. Id like to see Archie Goodwin in the league, but too much ground for them to make up.

Reply #614912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingram is probably the other one to consider if he's overcome his health issues. I note he didn't resurface in the D league so he would be available

Reply #614913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These are just rumors people with absolutely no internal sources have started, I can tell you it won't be any of these 3.

Reply #614914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Says someone who probably has no internal source haha

Reply #614915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if i didn't, a little research would rule out 2 of these guys...

Reply #614916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if you're the know, give us a hint. Is it an NBA player?

Reply #614918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah yeah everyone knows someone who is in the know. I'm sure a damn oracle. Freakin Perth intellectuals. It doesn't matter anyways the cats are done, merry Christmas

Reply #614923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a short list of d-league players, they are also looking at seabl imports. Johnson had to be released and the cats only knew on the day of the 36ers game so they will be frantically trying to find a replacement.

Reply #614924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So was bad enough to release him BUT not bad enough that he was able to play and play well. This will be interesting. Seems a better kept secret so far than what Webster did...

Reply #614925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who said they knew before the game..

Reply #614927 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

Quinn Cook
Anthony Brown
Vander Blue, just a few names that would be good to see in the nbl

Reply #614928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above anon, cats only knew ON the day of the 36ers game. Read it, thinking someone is now trying to back track as they werent meant to spill that part.

Reply #614929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They knew it early on in the season and chose to deavtivate JJ. Their hard and expert research turned up a dud. They used a piss porr excuse (read lie) to get rid of that did. reactivated him and "only discovered on the Adel game)" that he had to go. Bullshit.
Surely they have a replacement lined in not, how dumb are they then. Champs to spon. People need to be accountable.

Reply #614931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did they know or find out... not like it could be as bad as anything a NRL feral wouldve done in the past!

Reply #614933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha how wrong you are

Reply #614934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are some retards on this page

Reply #614935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Haha' then say what it is, instead of dropping anon smug one liners. Haha.

Reply #614938 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

If Perth want to save face and end this rumour mill it'd be best they simply release a truthful statement

Reply #614939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure the nbl will

Reply #614940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All lies. There will be no statement. What credibility should someone posting anonymously have?

Reply #614941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norris Cole
Mario Chalmers
Toney Douglas
Kirk Gingrich

Reply #614945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Toney Douglas was just released from memphis. Timing matches up.

Norris cole or Chalmers would be great.

Cats need someone with killer instinct that wants to impress and win.

Reply #614946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They knew it early on in the season and chose to deavtivate JJ. Their hard and expert research turned up a dud. They used a piss porr excuse (read lie) to get rid of that did. reactivated him and "only discovered on the Adel game)" that he had to go. "

Huh - so they knew about "it" when they de-activated him and then they forgot about it and re-discovered "it" after the Adelaide game.

Sounds like made-up tripe from forum trolls.

Reply #614947 | Report this post

Juwan Howard  
Years ago

Anons whinging about anonymous posters. FMD

Reply #614950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean if your name was actually juwan Howard that comment would have some merit... but your as anonymous as the rest champ.

Reply #614952 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

I'd like to see Tony Douglas in a Cats singlet, it would be nice (Ennis could have told him about Perth whilst in Memphis). But unfortunately it's hard to see an NBA proven talent dropping to the NBL prior to a Europe cash stint.

Reply #614964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I wrong in thinking Tre Nichols would be as good or better fit than any of the guys mentioned in this thread? Dudes a straight up killer.

Reply #614970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Gordon

Reply #614974 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It will be interesting that's for sure.
If the new guy turns out to be a gun, then we accept the rationale behind sacking JJ for the 2nd time.
If they scrounge up some spud from the SBL, then we are left wondering again.

One of the names thrown out there was Gary Ervin. Apparently he was playig in Europe but was recently cut?

He was damn good player back when he first landed here with the Hawks, and he certainly knows the league, but he must be getting on a bit now?
At his age, would he be a better option that JJ? Is he enough of a scorer?
Anyway, he's probably no more likely than Broekhoff. LOL

Reply #614976 | Report this post

Years ago

I agree with Tre being a great fit. Thought he should have been signed when they dropped JJ the first time.

Reply #614978 | Report this post

Years ago

Dazz did you even watch Tre in the SBL? He lead the league in scoring. Had several steals a game and can rack up the assists. In feb the dude had 71 points in the Bunbury league. Thats pretty dam hard to do. Far from what I'd call some spud.

Also he has the dread look that the cats go for with their imports this year.

Reply #614979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mario Chalmers will probably get another gig in the nba if healthy.Norris Cole is earning millions in China. Douglas will get an euro gig before he comes here.

Gary Ervin would be an interesting choice but he is probably to old to be a difference maker anymore.

Reply #614985 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Where exactly did I call Nicholls (or anyone else) a spud???
Or are you implying there are no spuds in the SBL?
(In which case it must be you who doesn't watch enough, cos there definitely are.)

All I mentioned was the juxtaposition between the new player being a gun or a spud.

That said, if the choice is between somebody just cut from the NBA, and a guy washing cars in the SBL off-season, I know which one I would prefer them to take a gamble on.

But to answer your question, I have not seen Nicholls play, so I can't judge how well he might step-up. Purely off the top of my head, my thinking is that he's the type of player you'd bring into the Training squad and evaluate. Or perhaps try as a short-term replacement for an injured import. Not necessarily someone to bet the house on, which is what it SEEMS the Cats are doing.
Do you know if Nicholls has been training with the Cats? Is he even still in the country?

Reply #614988 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'Ingram is probably the other one to consider if he's overcome his health issues'

Ingram went home coz he played up

Reply #614989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate these posts, anyone can throw random names about. Why not Kobe, oden, iverson. Can we just wait, it'll probably be another unknown from dleague or a cut from Europe, until it's confirmed can we just stop

Reply #614995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's why this is a separate speculation thread. Some may not like rumours, just don't enter the thread, it's quite clearly labelled.

Reply #614998 | Report this post

Years ago

Dazz by saying "If they scrounge up some spud from the SBL"
Its quiet easy to see how that can be interpreted as you implying all sbl players are spuds.
Yes Tre is still in Perth. He's the poster boy for south west slammers and has been for couple years now.

Reply #614999 | Report this post

Years ago

Dazz by saying "If they scrounge up some spud from the SBL"
Its quiet easy to see how that can be interpreted as you implying all sbl players are spuds.
Yes Tre is still in Perth. He's the poster boy for south west slammers and has been for couple years now.

Reply #615000 | Report this post

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

Based on recent Wildcats history you would think some of the names mentioned in this thread wouldn't be very likely.

Good players cost money and thats something the Cats haven't been willing to part with of late.

Will be interesting as the front office still believes this season is alive, they could be the only ones!

Reply #615001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The season is far from gone, they still have 12 games left out of a 28 game season... Only Cairns has more games left.

Though if they don't turn it around soon it will be gone... But it ain't gone yet.

Reply #615018 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Mathematically it ain't gone yet, but we are in last place, we absolutely stink on the road (we've won 1 road game in > 12 months, and that was against a highly depleted United team), and 7 of our 12 remaining games are on the road. Oh and we just cut one of our better players.

Whoever we bring in will need to make a huge difference to the team to drag us into the 4 IMO. It seems highly unlikely. If there are odds for Perth to miss the playoffs, anything greater than $1.10 would look like great value to me.

Reply #615019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope the cats don't make the playoffs. I don't think they will and all, but would be great to see them lose a few more and really seal the deal.

Reply #615020 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Season is Far, Far from over.
Perth are still competitive, just not enough. One gun player could make all the difference, especially once Damo returns.

The question is whether they are prepared to spend money to extend the streak.
The answer I guess will be signified soon enough.

Reply #615023 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

'ere 'ere. FOFW.

Reply #615029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz one day you write 30 threads about how the streak is over and then the next your the optimistic idiot again.

Reply #615037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And that is reason number 1 why non-Perth fans shouldn't want the cats to miss the playoffs!

Dazz will be creating a cats threads every day.

Reply #615048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear god you're right!!! He won't have a single other thing in life to do!

Reply #615055 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I posted one thread about the streak being in danger, which it clearly is.
But we're barely at the halfway mark, things can easily change.
The question is whether they will?
The Cats could have sacked JJ because they have a deadest gun lined up.
Or they could have done it to save money becuase they have written this season off. Who knows?

We'll get some idea when we see how good his replacement is.

Reply #615084 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How does paying Johnson and his replacement save money?

Reply #615089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope your replacement is shite. I think love re is trying to say if they don't replace him with someone decent and instead a sbl type, they will save money that way by paying less. Dazz you have been drastically on cat watch all season, now your alll cool calm cool please... your bipolar with thoughts on that team.

Reply #615096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOdmRRnADaC/?taken-by=nino.johnson&hl=en

Reply #615099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz it's neither, they don't have anyone lined up and they didn't do it to save money, it wasn't the cats decision.

Reply #615102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why is Johnson leaving, anon?

Reply #615117 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

http://www.wildcats.com.au/perth-wildcats/tough-decisions/

Geez Gleeson has no class. I interpret what he said as a huge slight on JJ. He did his best and was a pro. He came back and then they sack him again. Maybe they should have sacked McKay. He has done zero and JJ showed up.
Sometimes you have to stick with your decisions.
I think Gleason is scrambling big time. A replacement has to be a stud scorer or this will be another poor decision.

I think it's time for fresh off-season with big decisions to be made.

Reply #615119 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Gleeson also revealed that the team is closing in on a replacement import player, but doesn't believe it will happen in time for the New Year’s Eve clash.
Okay, now I believe the story about it not being their call.

Reply #615122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Okay, now I believe the story about it not being their call."

You're a gullible man. From memory you also believed that Ingram was shipped out after committing Pinder-esque activities in his one week here.

Reply #615123 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That "water under the bridge" remark doesn't really fit in either.

Reply #615124 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You're a gullible man. From memory you also believed that Ingram was shipped out after committing Pinder-esque activities in his one week here.
I'm not sure whether it's more gullible to believe the anon's story that something's up, or the Wildcats' story that they sacked a guy without having a replacement ready to go.

If they'd had someone signed for the next game, I would have dismissed it. But they haven't.

As for the Ingram story, I was also skeptical of that when I heard it the first time from someone directly connected to the situation, but it becomes a lot more credible when a second person is telling exactly the same story.

Reply #615128 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, I am champing at the bit to see who the replacement is,
but at this point I honestly don't know exactly why JJ was sacked or what direction they are going in.
Obviously I HOPE they have lined up a gun, but that's what I hoped last time.

"Water under the bridge" seems a strange phrase to use. Generally it would refer to history that is no longer relevant, but Gleeson seems to have used it differently.

Reply #615131 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

All this ambiguity isn't helping the situation.
Maybe Gleeson has convinced Marvin to give Homicide a contract. LOL

Reply #615132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's hardly a hard-to-make-up story, is it? Certainly sounds more juicy than a guy being sacked for basketball reasons or wanting to go home.

In fact these guys are inferring the same story for Johnson. "Out of their control" "league is going to make a statement" like it's something dark and dirty.

Some were even saying the same thing about Webster.

As for a replacement not being immediately ready, it happens. Cedric Jackson was sacked before a replacement was ready, Webster was put on the shelf with the intent for an import replacement and he hasn't played yet.

They both must've committed some serious crimes that their teams wanted to cover up but that the league will make an announcement on soon

Reply #615133 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Webster is injured, and from what I hear Jackson refused to play while Demopoulos remained the coach.

Reply #615135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's common sense, do you really think they would sack JJ again when he's started to get his shit together if they had a choice?

Reply #615137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's common sense, do you really think they would sack JJ again when he's started to get his shit together if they had a choice?"

Yes. They are bottom of the ladder. Their point guards are not up to standard (without Damo). You heard Gleeson's comments today that they are looking someone who can create more off the dribble. He feels Damo's absence is having a trickle-down effect, which is true.

Whilst Johnson's scoring form was looking good lately, he is more of a scorer than a playmaker/creator. I think we're after someone who can "make his team mates better" a bit more. That's not a slight on Johnson, he's just more of a finisher. Hence the comments about fit and team balance.

Reply #615140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Webster is injured, and from what I hear Jackson refused to play while Demopoulos remained the coach."

From what I can gather, Webster has been carrying injuries all season.

Reply #615141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to the topic of this thread - since we have so many people "in the know", can we get any hints about who may be on the radar?

It's time to move forward and see how we may be able to salvage this season.

Reply #615142 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

I'd say it is Kobe Bryant. If you want to replace Johnson you want it to be a massive player who still has game and can dominate going to the hoop while hitting the outside shot.

I'd say it is Kobe.

Reply #615161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, hint hint i know why he was really let go, every knows now that johnson wasn't the right fit but that isn't why he was released. The likelihood is the cats won't spend big as it's going to take more than replacing johnson to win a championship and they have succeeded at remaining under the soft cap all year so no chance they will blow that if a championship is highly unlikely.

Reply #615185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's as he reason then anon?

You are an anon. So feel free to spill the beans. No one will be able to link it to you. And others will just think your making stuff up

Reply #615198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

article in The West today says they were waiting for NBL approval last night before announcing the import, so sounds like they have someone. Anyone know how long approval would take? I'd assume we'd hear something later today or tomorrow assuming there's no issues with it.

Reply #615216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it's just waiting for approval how has the name not been leaked considering how many people in the know we have on here

Reply #615242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bryce Cotton.

Reply #615249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

www.sportando.com/m/en/world/oceania/221518/bryce-cotton-agreed-to-terms-with-perth-wildcats.html#refresh_ce

Reply #615254 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:57 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754