as above

Topic #40566 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reportedly sign no proper press release yet :|

Reply #615251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

www.sportando.com/m/en/world/oceania/221518/bryce-cotton-agreed-to-terms-with-perth-wildcats.html#refresh_ce

Reply #615253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's a done deal

Reply #615255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After watching a few highlight videos I do like the look of him (obviously a few short highlight videos aren't the best representation of someone though), but I am excited by this signing, from the small sample I've seen he looks like he might be what we need.

Reply #615256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he will be able to facilitate the offense which is exactly what we need

Reply #615258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They could be back the cats!

Reply #615259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GAME ON!

Reply #615260 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Hallelujah brother!

Reply #615261 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well they've gone for a combo guard, which is exactly what we all said they needed.
And he's been on the cusp of NBA, played a handful of games plus Summer-League, so you'd hope he's half decent.

Still a young guy with a potentially bright future ahead.
I like the sound of him, so be interesting to see how he goes.

Reply #615262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We can't expect him to solve all our problems, but he looks like a very good recruit. For the first time in a few weeks I'm feeling pretty optimistic about our chances of turning the season around and making a run at the playoffs. Looks like the type of guy we needed and hopefully everyone improves around him.

The difference between this year and previous years is that because its so ridiculously close, being last half way through the season doesn't mean you are way behind the rest. We are only 1 win behind Melb in 4th spot and have played 1 less game, Sydney sitting in 3rd only have a 10-10 record, Hawks in second are 3 wins ahead but played 2 more games.

I'm not saying he will solve all our problems and everything will be fine for us now because lots of players need to lift, but I don't think you can count Perth out just yet. The streak may continue!

Reply #615263 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Seems a good fit...

Combo guard who seems to be able to hit a 3 (2.2 per game at 40ish%). Got some hops for a small guy! I like this signing, hopefully not to late.

Reply #615264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Combo guard offensively as he can play the off-ball shooter role as well, but defensively he might be too small to guard SGs. But that will be OK as Martin can check them.

Reply #615265 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Didn't Sportando announce a signing earlier this year that never actually happened?

Reply #615266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Cotton arrive in time to play this Saturday?

Reply #615267 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Haha, True Kobe, maybe we should hold our joy and optimism till this news comes from a reputable source.

Reply #615268 | Report this post

J-dogg  
Years ago

Mate bumped into Cotton in the city earlier this arvo and had a chat to him. He is in Perth already....

Reply #615269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ahhh no he's not

Reply #615270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So maybe he was the guy on that Instagram picture :P

Reply #615271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This may also help secure sponsorship with Cotton On.

Reply #615272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti has confirmed the rumour on Twitter

Reply #615273 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Perth Now has it
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/basketball/us-guard-bryce-cotton-set-to-join-perth-wildcats-as-import-replacement/news-story/bf6b514f9caad60577f6d1118aad6c19

Reply #615274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol that was Kyle Bowen

Reply #615275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lachie has also confirmed it. Ah, Wildcats! Ah, Wildcats! *eiii heee*

Reply #615276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@murraydunstan on twitter said:

"Left his Turkish club on December 12. Was concerned by bomb attacks in Instanbul. Was on 600K there"

Reply #615277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Murray the guy who had a chat with him in the city today?

Reply #615278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last few games he played in europe his knee was heavily strapped and didn't move all to well compared to his NBA stints.

Hopefully he's 100% healthy.

Reply #615279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glad we have all the anonymous' and Dazz's approval. Pheww

Reply #615280 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

http://www.eurohoops.net/featured/362406/bryce-cotton-anadolu-efes-agree-termination-contract

Have a read... hopefully not another Ingram waiting to happen

Reply #615281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope this gives cats fans a lot of hope. I also hope that hope is crushed.

Reply #615283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As murraydunstan said, he wasn't too uncomfortable in the environment over there. The NBL is also a friendly league for smaller guards.

Reply #615284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz doesn't know much so his approval means little. All this former and future talent on the league is great though.

Reply #615285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think security concerns seem like a plausible reason. Any "personal family issues" that required you to quit your contract seem unlikely imo to be solved in 2 weeks meaning you're fine to move all the way to Australia to play again. Otherwise I'd assume you'd do what Steve Blake did and go home and see what happens before making a decision on your future and quitting. Also I guess technically his family having security concerns and worried about his safety could count as the "personal family issue".

Moving to arguably one of the safest continents/countries in the world and playing for one of the most isolated cities in the world doesn't seem like a bad option if safety and security was a concern of his.

Reply #615286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After reading Josh Boone's blog about his time in China, you really do get a feel of how tough it is sometimes for these American imports with the language and culture barrier, when they are also expected to be the "saviour" for their team.

I can understand it if they didn't feel comfortable playing overseas and Australia is somewhat of a happy medium due to similarities in culture and language.

Reply #615288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soooo anyone wanna explain what Johnson did??

Reply #615290 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Family Reasons" seems to be the coverall for just about anything.
Could be anything from he hated Turkey and wanted out, or he was a spud and the team wanted rid of him.

I am more excited about him than about any prospective import for a while, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Reply #615291 | Report this post

J-dogg  
Years ago

He's 100% already here Anon...

Reply #615292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bumped into Elvis earlier today, having a late in Lyon Street

Reply #615293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Latte maybe?

Reply #615294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.asia-basket.com/China/basketball.asp?NewsID=458389&showcomments=1#c

Interview with cotton about his Chinese experience. Seems like a respectful guy

Reply #615296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ryan McDonald, a reporter for a salt lake city newspaper has commented on this signing saying cotton is "a great guy"

Reply #615298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spotted 2pac at culture kings in the city today too...

Reply #615300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton was with the Spurs (had a contract during the off season in 2014 but got waived just before the season started) and Spurs D-League team from 2014-2015, which I think would have been around the same time Matt Nielsen was with the Spurs? Wondering if that had anything to do with the Wildcats picking him up and how much Nielsen knew/saw of him back then.

Reply #615301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Nielsen was never with the Spurs

Reply #615303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nielsen was slightly affiliated with the Spurs. Let's go to the third umpire (koberulz) for clarification. But I believe via Brett browns connection he was.

Reply #615304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton has the biggest vertical leap in history

Reply #615305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or you could just google it

http://www.wildcats.com.au/featured-news/matt-nielsen-appointed-lead-assistant-coach/

Reply #615306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Moderated.)

Reply #615309 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Its about time!

Reply #615310 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

I like the look of him, has a lot of ability but isn't big enough to cut it in the NBA and to a lesser extent Europe. Could make him a prime candidate for the NBL.

Reply #615313 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Looks like he could give Casper Ware a run for his money.

Reply #615314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the highlights I seen I think he could turn out to be even better then Ingram!

Reply #615315 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Can't believe no one has said it yet

That's a bold move, Cotton!

Reply #615317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I like the look of him, has a lot of ability but isn't big enough to cut it in the NBA and to a lesser extent Europe. Could make him a prime candidate for the NBL."

We've already seen guards that are "too small" for other leagues (Randle, Ware) take the NBL by storm. I don't quite think Cotton is in that "dominating" category, but he could well be very, very good.

Reply #615319 | Report this post

Nielsen spend a season @ Spurs as an Intern coach (2014-15).

Reply #615320 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

From the highlights tape it looks like he is a very good player and should dominate at the NBL level. His quickness will translate much more effectively in this league than the NBA or euro league or even summer league for that matter.
Now if the coach can figure a way to work him into our stymied offense without losing production from Prather we should make playoffs.
It's a big IF though, we still have nil post scoring and rely to much on Prather to create.
If the team doesn't make playoffs now then Gleeson must be cut.. or released?!

Reply #615325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or deactivated

Reply #615326 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Obviously if we don't make the playoffs, Gleeson will be immediately sacked.

Then re-hired a week later...

Reply #615328 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Just looking at some videos of Bryce playing, I think it should augur well for the Wildcats....better than Randle.

Reply #615329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like he had some Bunnies in High School/College

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQe7GRkTeT8&feature=youtu.be

Interestingly he was in the same team as Marshon Brooks - I really liked this guy when he entered the league. He's now 27 playing in China. Would be a gun import for a team, but he's earning 1.7million a year atm.

Reply #615330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has (had?) a 45 inch vertical

Wiggins/Lavine/Lebron have a 44 inch vert

Reply #615332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say had.

He's got a 7 foot wing span apparently. Or there abouts.

I'd say he's on the decline as far as athletism goes. But he'll be fine in the NBL.

I'm worried about his health tho.

His most recent highlights show a heavily strapped knee/calf.

Reply #615333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the decline? The guy isn't even 25 yet. Maybe he's banged up/sore but Aussie Sports scientists are pretty good at managing their players

Reply #615334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's got a very high vertical but his lack of size and power means it's rarely seen in game.

He's exactly the type of player the cats need.

Let's see how it works out

Reply #615336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing. I think he'll be almost as good as Tre Nichols would have been.

Reply #615337 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think we should put a lid on the "Better than Randle" comments. Randle has proven his worth over a season and a half.
Thing is we don't necessarily need Cotton to be.
We need someone who can handle the ball, score at a decent clip, create something off his own dribble, ideally feed McKay inside, and hopefully isn't too shabby on D.
That is a lot to ask, hope he's up to it, but point is we don't need an MVP, just a good solid import.

At this point, the Cats just want to get back in the hunt, make the finals, extend the streak, and take it from there.

Going to be an interesting 2nd half.

Reply #615339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classic Dazz.

"We don't need a Randle"

Proceeds to describe Randle as the player we need haha

Reply #615341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didn't say "we don't need a Randle." He said Perth don't need someone to be better than Randle.

Reply #615342 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

When will he suit up?

Reply #615347 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

He won't play New Year's Eve game. Article says 'awaiting NBL clearance' which usually only takes a day or two, but seeing as he wouldn't of trained and the team will fly out tomorrow, you wouldn't expect him before the kings game.

Reply #615348 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What's all this talk of Ware, Randle and Cotton being too small for Europe? They've all played quality basketball over there.

In 19mpg in the Turkish league (which is a similar standard to the NBL) Cotton was averaging 10ppg on 60% on 2p and 46% on 3p. That's incredible efficiency for a guard.

His Euroleague numbers were respectable too, 8ppg in 18mpg at 47% 2p and 38% 3p. The only concern for mine would be if he's injured, if fit he should be quality here.

Reply #615349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice insight Paul. He definitely looks like he can shoot it very well and a solid playmaker too. From your euro watching experience, is there any concern about the nature of his departure from Turkey? Or do we take it for what it is and he will be fit? Did note the knee strapping on the euro league highlights

Reply #615350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not necessarily a few days. Immigration etc will be closed for more than a few days. Depends how far the paperwork has already proceeded.

Reply #615351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damian Martin is due back within the next two weeks as well. Exciting times for Perth, but they are behind the eight ball, hopefully they haven't left their run too late

Reply #615354 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's really hard to know. I haven't been following Euroleague as much this year, but European clubs, like the Wildcats, rarely say what they mean when a player is departing!

His second last Euroleague game he had 19p on 7/10 (including 5/8 triples) so was obviously going ok then. His minutes had dropped away a little bit though.

I guess the Wildcats will screen him medically when he arrives so you'd hope that would find any concerns.

If you look at Euroleague games where he got more than five shots (6 of his 10) he averaged 13ppg in 24mpg which is a pretty impressive. You'd imagine he'll get more than five shots most nights for Perth!

Reply #615355 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

I heard Shane Heal saying on foxsports that Martin has had a setback with his knee and won't be back when they expected.

Reply #615356 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

I wouldn't believe Shane Heal... probably owes Marto money

Reply #615358 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

So? Lots of people owe Marto money... Ater Majok comes to mind

Reply #615367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damo not back until late Jan at the earliest. Rumored setback is true

Reply #615378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats the minimum games needed by a player to play finals?

Reply #615380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Damo not back until late Jan at the earliest. Rumored setback is true"

Maybe that's why the Cats pulled the trigger on JJ

Reply #615381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must play 8 games to make finals, no that's not why JJ was released

Reply #615386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MCL injuries are fickle. It starts to feel better as scar tissues heal around the tear. It then when you begin to push it you can tear the scar tissue again which is when the set back occurs.

Reply #615397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz thinks he's good, so he'll probably struggle.

Reply #615405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #615413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #615414 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think he sounds like a good candidate, and he's the TYPE of player we want. Beyond that, we can only wait and see.
I doubt any team deliberately looks for a bad import, yet we've had them, we can only keep our fingers crossed.

Reply #615418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he playing v the Hawks?

Reply #615421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe Ingles (@joeingles7) on Perth recruiting his former teammate

"The @PerthWildcats got themselves a great player & person in Bryce Cotton. He will dunk on someone that doesn't expect it. #bounce"

Reply #615422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHY WAS JJ RELEASED????? Why are there so many rebuttals but no one who knows has the balls to say. I really hope Cotton is good, and the Cats still stink overall, really turn that knife on their season.

Reply #615423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"WHY WAS JJ RELEASED????? Why are there so many rebuttals but no one who knows has the balls to say."

yeah, people on here either need to say the 'truth' that they think they know behind his release, or stop with the "thats not why he was released" and the "i know why he was really released" type comments

Reply #615427 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It seems credible with Cotton still not in the country. If it were about fit, I don't see why you'd release Johnson before Cotton was ready to go.

Reply #615434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Cotton not being ready to go makes JJ the right fit?

Reply #615441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people aren't very bright lol

Reply #615445 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So Cotton not being ready to go makes JJ the right fit?
No, but JJ hasn't been the right fit since September.

Reply #615457 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Wildcats needs a person who will not turn over the ball frequently, in other words a good ball distributor.

I hate it each time Redhage, Matty and Wagstaff try to handle the ball. They turn it over.

Reply #615459 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

He was pretty decent with Utah.

Reply #615471 | Report this post

Years ago

So with Wildcats yet to make rhe

Reply #615578 | Report this post

Years ago

With the wildcats yet to announce the signing and all reports saying wait for NBL to sign off on it.
What exactly wpuld the NBL look at to approve imports?
Does anyone know? Other than Crimial records?

Reply #615580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will probably miss the Hawks game if he has not been cleared by now.

Reply #615586 | Report this post

Years ago

All reports stated already that he wouldn't be available for the hawks game. So that's nothing new.
Just curious in regards to all imports what do the NBL look at to sign off on?
Also who exactly is it that gives the ok?

Reply #615587 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Does anybody actually KNOW what the process is to get a new import on board???

I don't know specifically, but based on other requirements I would imagine he needs a (correct) visa to be able to play (ie work)? Which would mean he needs an employment contract and NBL approval?

We'd all like to think that the outgoing player could finish, and his replacement line-up the next day, but when does that actually happen.

If people are claiming the Cats had no foreknowledge, were forced to sack JJ, then somehow found Cotton in a couple of days over Christmas, then FMD they are GOOD. In a period when nobody in the Western world is working, much less worrying about new contracts, they somehow managed to cold-call the right people to unearth a genuine talent.

Although, I suppose if you believe that, then you also believe in Santa Claus, so maybe Father Christmas brought Cotton down Gleeson's chimney in a big sack?

Reply #615596 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i know you need to get FIBA papers cleared from your previous club so you can then be signed to your new club, along with working VISA stuff.

Reply #615602 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yes, you have to get official FIBA clearance from your previous team which with the way he left could be a possible hold up more so than say visa issues or anything else.

I remember when the 36ers had that big blow up with Julius Hodge when he refused to suit for a game despite having been paid his season salary in full that the club terminated his contract and refused to give him his FIBA clearance to sign somewhere else until he repaid the money.

Reply #615603 | Report this post

Years ago

So is a FIBA clearance kinda like a reference on a resume?

Reply #615605 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Ok, so there may in fact be other delays.
But more what I was getting at, was that there may in fact be a forced delay between axing one import and signing another when we have a full quota.
Presumably we have to terminate JJ then officially lodge the paperwork with the NBL, then apply to bring on a new import, only then can we issue a contract and get him a visa???
All whilst people are more interested in Turkey and booze.

Reply #615606 | Report this post

Years ago

Dazz can you get your head out of Wilbur's ass for a second and talk about import process as a whole. Not just this one situation.

Side note. I'm actually a Wildcats member and I can see why everyone hates Dazzcats. You're way to fixated and bias on the cats...

Reply #615607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Dazz makes some good points. Especially for the conspiracy theorists out there. It's not as easy as clicking fingers to make things happen, especially over the holiday period, when things tend to move a bit more slowly.

Reply #615609 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Dazz, you're ignoring all the times import replacements have been announced within a day or two of the previous import being released. In 2014, Jesse Sanders played a game for Sydney after it was announced he would be replaced by Sam Young, because Young wasn't available quickly enough.

Reply #615614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth may have wanted to let Johnson go home for Christmas and New Year after d1cking him around enough already this season.

Reply #615617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, yes JJ was released due to unforeseen circumstances and the cats found BC in a couple of days, how is that so unbelievable.

Reply #615660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently cats were already keen on cotton pre season so when he became available that's when they pulled the trigger on JJ

Reply #615703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh no that's not why they pulled the trigger on JJ

Reply #615712 | Report this post

1.9M_Jawai  
Years ago

For those who are interested,a link to scouting report on Cotton from last year. Has a fair bit on info on strengths/weaknesses ect.
http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/236803/Scouting-Report-Bryce-Cotton

"Size/Athleticism: This was the biggest knock on Cotton during the draft process. At just 6-foot, 163 pounds, Cotton lacks ideal size and athleticism for the NBA. He's a decent athlete vertically with average quickness, but his physical tools aren’t up to the NBA standard.

Ballhandling: Cotton is a quality ballhandler that can change speeds. He attacks with either hand and has an effective crossover to keep opponents off balance.

Shooting: After shooting 36.7% from three-point range as a senior, Cotton has improved on that percentage in Austin. In the D-League, Cotton is shooting 44.8% from behind the arc and averaging 2.6 makes per game. He can hit the three consistently or pull-up from mid-range. Cotton is also shooting an impressive 90% from the free throw line.

Penetration: Cotton can attack out of the pick-and-roll, but has to use some tricks against bigger defenders. He shows a good feel for the floater but won’t make a living inside of the paint. Cotton is shooting 54.1% from within 8 feet, ranking within the D-League average.

Passing: Cotton has a good feel for the game and has no issues getting teammates involved. His assist numbers have taken a slight dip since Kyle Anderson has been on assignment, but Cotton is still averaging 4.6 assists per game. While he can score, Cotton shouldn’t be seen as a score-first point guard, as he can run the offense effectively.

Defense: Although Cotton lacks ideal length, strength, and lateral quickness on the defensive end, he’s been an excellent defender in the D-League. His hustle and energy can frustrate opposing ballhandlers and lead to 1.3 steals per game. It will be interesting to see how Cotton’s defense translates to the next level.

Rebounding: Cotton is tough on the glass, averaging 4.7 rebounds per game in Austin. He won’t leap over NBA big men for rebounds, but he can go inside and time his jumps accurately to pull down an occasional board.

Versatility: Cotton has spent some time off the ball at Providence and in the D-League, but his size will likely limit him to the point guard position. If he spends time with Exum in the backcourt, there’s a chance he can play shooting guard offensively and defend opposing point guards. Exum’s size allows for some creativity, but Cotton is certainly a point guard prospect going forward."

Reply #615713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ahhh no that's not why they pulled the trigger on JJ"

I hear the NBL will be making a statement on it last week.

Reply #615725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what did JJ actually do?

Depending on what it is, I'm not sure why they'd try and cover it up, given the amount of backlash they knew they'd cop from a large number of fans for cutting him again for "roster structure reasons and not being the right fit" or something along those lines. Personally I didn't mind the decision to cut him, but it seemed the majority of fans were unhappy.

I mean, they wouldn't have had to give exact details of what ever happened, but they could have just said something about an 'incident occurring' or 'disciplinary reasons' or something along those lines.

Reply #615727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is roster structuring. Don't believe those anon and koberulz trying to tell us its a conspiracy. Wildcats now 3-0 without JJ this season. He is a great bloke and talent but not the right player for us.

Reply #615848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, don't just throw your 2 cents in because you don't know the real reason why jj was released. Multiple people on this forum know and are doing the right thing by not revealing it to the public

Reply #615885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol you have no idea anon, it is 100% NOT roster structuring.

Reply #615886 | Report this post

Just  
Years ago

Just to show how little these anonymous posts are worth, an anon in this thread wrote this: "Damo not back until late Jan at the earliest. Rumored setback is true"

Gleeson said this after today's game: "We're hopeful of having Damo [Martin] back by mid-January. His recovery’s going great and he’s doing a lot of extra work, so fingers crossed."

I'm still assuming roster restructuring until someone offers up something more than all the incredibly vague statements in this thread.

Reply #615896 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Jarrod Kenny also had some positive news about Damo's progress in this interview posted yesterday
https://audioboom.com/posts/5444518-jarrod-kenny-press-conference-30-december-2016

Reply #615900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Believe what you like Just, doesn't mean anything to those that know

Reply #615908 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Still nothing official yet?
But at least he's been endorsed by Joe Ingles.
Now all we need is a quote from Ennis, and we're set.

Reply #616203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Still nothing official yet?"

I'm a bit worried, what's taking so long. We need him here this week!

Reply #616204 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Cotton will suit up this weekend. Delayed clearance from Immigration because they are all on holiday due to it being Christmas/End of Year.

Reply #616289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect an announcement today. He's in town

Reply #616335 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cats email:

Bryce Cotton Signed

The Perth Wildcats have signed fringe NBA player Bryce Cotton for the remainder of the 2016/17 NBL season.

Cotton is an exciting point guard with quality ball-handling skills and exceptional shooting ability.

He also has the capacity to play off the ball, meaning he'll be able to carry the ball when required, or bolster the team’s scoring options as a shooting guard.

The 24-year-old American played for the Utah Jazz during the 2014/15 NBA season, and last season he represented both the Phoenix Suns and the Memphis Grizzlies.

His best NBA game was in a 2015 Jazz win over Dallas, where he scored 21 points on eight of 15 shooting while dishing out four assists.

Cotton has also played in the NBA Development League as well as in Turkey and China.

He’s excited for the next chapter in his professional career.

"I consider myself a team-first player, and this is a great opportunity for me to help this very successful organisation really take on the second half of the season.

“I’m looking forward to getting on the court with my new teammates and working my hardest to do whatever I’m required to do."

Bryce Cotton was born and raised in Tucson, Arizona, before heading to Rhode Island to play Division 1 college basketball for the Providence Friars.

In his senior year, he was one of the best college point guards in the United States, averaging 21.8 points and 5.8 assists per game on his way to being named Big East Tournament MVP in 2014.

Despite going unselected in the 2014 NBA Draft, he was picked up by the San Antonio Spurs before being assigned to their affiliated Development League team, the Austin Spurs.

In his time playing in the D-League, he has averaged 22.0 points per game, shooting at outstanding 47.6 per cent, including 44.9 per cent from outside the arc.

He’s also a strong defender, collecting 1.3 steals per game and getting on the end of 4.5 rebounds.

Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson is confident that Cotton is the missing piece of the puzzle.

“We thought we needed more help with our ball handling and perimeter shooting,” he said.

”Bryce is an explosive scorer off the dribble or coming off screens to catch and shoot, with deep three-point range, and that’s really going to help us.

“He brings a lot of energy with his quickness, which our team will feed off. I think he’s going to become a crowd favourite very shortly.”

Bryce Cotton stands at 185cm and weighs 75kg.

He has arrived in Perth and will train with his new teammates for the first time today.

Reply #616356 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:46 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754