Air Delay
Years ago

NBL Rookie of the Year ?

Nick Kay was awesome last year & my mind starting searching for candidates this year & I hit a bit of a stumbling block...

With no Crocs & nearly all teams going with 3 imports there's been very little opportunity for new blood. So two Qs.

1) What's the criteria for rookie of the year (a long time ago I remember it could be open for players in their first 3 years of debuting or something like that?)

2) What candidates do we have? Kenyon? Brag? And others like Adnam & Moller who did play briefly last year? Have missed anyone obvious?

Topic #40568 | Report this topic

Air Delay  
Years ago

*Have I missed anyone obvious?

Reply #615431 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Drmic

Reply #615432 | Report this post

Mullet  
Years ago

Mitch McCarron & Majok Deng spring to mind.

Reply #615433 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

McCarron played pro in Europe, he's ineligible.

Criteria are rostered non-imports in their first pro season. Adnam is DP, so he's out.

So it's between Moller, Bragg and Deng, unless any of them played overseas before.

Or we could just not award it this season.

Reply #615437 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

^And Kenyon.

Reply #615438 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I like McCarron! I think he's going to be a real quality NBL player in a few years.

If Adelaide keep winning, I think Drmic or Deng 'd be front runners.

Reply #615439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worst ROY class for some time? Drmic wins it by default since he plays the most of that lot.

Reply #615442 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

It's what makes me not so happy with the 3 import rule. When winning IS everything, there's not as much opportunity to blood the young guns : (

Reply #615443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bragg could contend if they actually decide to play him over Wroe

Reply #615448 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Finn Delany for NZ has been pretty good for a rookie.

Reply #615451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is DKD a rookie?

Reply #615452 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Bragg is definitely Perth's best PG ATM.

& yeah, forgot about Delany too. Super athlete and effort player!

Reply #615461 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Bragg is a DP though. DKD would be the wildcats candidate but he gets no minutes so he won't be a chance

Reply #615464 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Bragg is a DP, so does that make him ineligible???

DKD played in Brazil, so same question?

Reply #615467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Irrelevant question as neither are any chance at all even in this season's pool of unprecedented shallowness

Reply #615468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No award.

Reply #615470 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I wouldn't award it just to make a statement. I expect better even from rookies and those dudes have been horse shit.

Reply #615495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league is a lot stronger and with 3 imports most rookies aren't getting much time, maybe they have to change it that you're allowed to play for two seasons or say under 24.

Reply #615502 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Izzy Tueta was the best performing rookie but surely can't win it on about a third of a season.

Reply #615509 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

If Majok Deng is eligible, personally I think he's the frontrunner. Some of his shots were massive daggers that have helped to put away opposing teams coupled with several notable defensive plays and rebounding battles.

Reply #615512 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

You're all kinda missing the point.
If you're talking about rookies, then whatever the criteria you're talking about guys who haven't played much, so trying to pick a winner half-way through the year is pointless.
Some of these guys will just keep building, week after week, and the end of the season could tell a very different story.

Reply #615521 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The OP raises more questions than the obvious one of who could be the R.O.Y., more like opening a can of worms in questioning the validity of the '3 Import Rule' and how it impacts the NBL rookie program!

If there is such a program, of course?

Reply #615545 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The bench was extended to 11, so the number of spots for locals, including rookies, has not changed.

Reply #615597 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754