Isaac
Years ago

Kings vs Breakers, Dec 30

Kings have gone from clear top to 10-10 and fourth thanks to a 0-4 slide. Breakers are 8-9 and a position behind them, but 2-3 over their last five.

Sydney are $1.44 favourites in this one. Line is -5.5.

Anyone fancy NZ on the road?

Topic #40571 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings lose this there gone, should win this one though by eight. Hope gaze plays his bench a bit earlier and maybe longer if there doing ok so the starters have something left in the fourth.

Reply #615538 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Kings at home should, could, normally would win this one, but how do you pick with confidence this season?

Okay, Kings by 4 points in O/T...

Why? Why not!

Reply #615543 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Gee, this one is another beauty. Kings need to stop their slide and Breakers seem a little lethargic this year. Breakers are 2 and 6 on the road, Kings 5 and 5 at home. Both teams with plenty of motivation to win.

Will Newley be playing? He could be the key. When he is on the boil the Kings have won easily. Massive matchups around the key will be important. The team that wins the rebounds usually wins.

Cadee is playing his best season and will be slippery. (sorry I heard Marty Clarke call him that once and I assume he was talking about on court) Breakers have have talent too in that area so I'm expecting a 3 point party.

I'm calling a Breakers win if Newley is out. If he's in, I'm still leaning towards the Breakers and I think it'll be 1-2 points in it.

Reply #615544 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

This Paul Carter looks the goods from you tube shots. He's a scorer, can handle it a little, athletic, he's got 3 point range and like all leftie's he's smooth. He looks versatile and can play 2,3 or 4. He's reliable from the line and will become the go to option. He can make something out of nothing which we don't have at present, This will leave Mitchell to pick up the garbage or crumbs, a role he is very good at.
He can pass as well so I expect Penney and Loe to benefit with wide open looks, something he is not getting now. He will get smashed for his troubles but he looks wiry and he played internationally for a bit so I expect he's a pro. He reminded me of a better ball handling Tory Craig. Even if he doesn't live up to that billing he will be a useful addition.
I worry a little about Stockton and his confidence though. Maybe they are waiting on Woodside. The point could be our weakness going forward.

Reply #615548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, did you say Cadee is playing his best season? Explain that for me as I thought he'd been stinking it up to be honest.

Reply #615551 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Cadee is doing OK

Reply #615553 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Cadee had been playing his best season until Blake came into the team. Now he is having inconsistent games compared to what he was doing at the start of the season. It is debatable whether or not it is his best season. I imagine his stats say it is

Reply #615557 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

Is the new Breakers import playing? I'd be concerned only about chemistry for NZ

Reply #615559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is doing ok

He needs to go back to his first 6/7 games and be doing a lot better than ok.

Reply #615561 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Cadee was great early, but now ALL the kings horses & all the kings men can't seem to put wins back together again : )

Lisch, Newley & Whittington all seem a bit burnt out.
I haven't looked at minute stats, but purely from observation it seems like the Kings overplay their stars while every other club is more strategic in resting and taking care of their superstars.

I want the Kings to win, but feel like the Breakers may spring an upset.

Reply #615574 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

AC, Paul Carter is playing tonight from reports here in NZ. Should take scoring pressure off Vukona who has been undersized for the last decade and done a good job but he is not going to carry us either. Pledge will take care of business inside and help, but the scoring load will come down to the import and Penney if we are to have a chance esp with Abercrombie out. What ever happened to Tufta . Was that his name? Did he get replaced by Shae Ili. He had speed, was OK from 3 and made an impact off the bench.
Shae and Stockton have really struggled lately.It has put so much pressure on the rest of the team.
Kings without Newley are beatable. We just have to keep the ball away from Lisch and hope he doesn't go crazy on offence.

Reply #615582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is one of, if not the most, inconsistent players in the league. If his shot is dropping, he can look good, at least offensively. Otherwise, he completely stinks up the joint. And that has more to do with his lack of defence. Actually, let me go further. His defence is ATROCIOUS. He can't defend anyone one on one - any team with a quick PG is death to the Kings because Cadee is so pathetic as an individual defender. They put way too much on Lisch's shoulders because they know Cadee cannot stop anyone. That's why Adelaide has killed the Kings this season - the emergence of Sobey means they have no way of hiding Cadee. And Lisch is wearing down because of it.

I'd bring Cadee off the bench, and put Newley at the 2 while starting Powell at the 4. But for whatever reason they seem to be happy with having an inconsistent non-defender playing starters minutes. It's going to kill their title hopes in the end.

Reply #615589 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

That's pretty spot on @Anonymous!
Kings guards are susceptible to pull throughs & penetration when Cadee is on D. This breaks down their D & ends up drawing fouls on the bigs.

Is the new kid gonna get time tonight? Doesn't he need like 2 months to learn 'The Shuffle' ? : )

Reply #615592 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Loving the key board warriors this season! Some people have no idea, loving how close the season is. Kings needs this at home, big factor is newly, you would think Sydney at home.

Sydney needs to be up there for the good of the nbl, both Sydney and Melbourne have to play finals for us to get better corporate and t.v. deals in the future.

Reply #615594 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

All teams have their strengths & weaknesses.

Just like Perth @cats 4 life : )
They need a Damien Martin!

Reply #615595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney and Melbourne got earn there spots, not just expect them because of there population, in all of that the Nbl has been fantastic this season.

Reply #615598 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Understand that they need to earn it, both teams had stacked and with the changes to both teams they are still stacked!

As much as I want Perth to be there, it doesn't get boring if you are not a supporter of the team always winning.

P.s don't count out Perth being there again, all depends on the import and damo coming back.

Reply #615600 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

What ever happened to Tufta . Was that his name? Did he get replaced by Shae Ili.

Tueta, he was an injury replacement for Shea Ili so when Ili came back he had to go. With how Tueta was playing I was kinda thinking they might invent a season ending injury for Ili and just stick with Tueta, he's a better player.

Reply #615604 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Cadee is the most overrated shit tard I've seen in the nbl in the last 15 years.. he is a paid professional basketball player, who is not really that good at anything consistently on the court.

Defense - woeful. Liability defensively.

Shooting - well his shooting sub 30% this season. So ill mark that down as woeful

Fundamentals- can't shoot off the dribble going right, would have to be the worst player I've seen finishing around the rim- he has missed 3 wide open layups this season alone.

Passing- decent passer off a pick n roll- of give him 6/10. Overall, court vision is SEABL level, at best.

Rebounding- well, he can't rebound.

Can someone remind me again what he is actually good at??? Don't say shoring please, because his shooting overall this season has been woeful- stats suggest he is in bottom 3 of starting guards.

I've said it many times- he is a back up guard at this level, who can provide you 10-12 mins of sub standard basketball.. every 10 games, he will hit 5 3s and everyone gets excited.

Reply #615613 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Talking about Cadee i don't know who is the bigger sook out of he and Jawai about asking for a foul cause they missed the basket

Reply #615616 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I just realised how any Breakers are out injured... Kings to win 20+

Surely...

Reply #615618 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Cadee's shooting under 30% ? WOW.

Wasn't he be compared to Steph Curry at the start of the season? LOL.

Reply #615619 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cadee's shooting 37.2% from the field this season and 31.7% on 3pts.

Reply #615620 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

RE: Cadee

As his father was involved with West Sydney/NBL (and probably others at some point?) any chance there's been a few helpful nudges to get him in the league?

Reply #615621 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Kings was looking good and priming for a blowout and Gaze subbed in Garlepp ahead of Jackson... Tommy need to play defense and rebound otherwise Kings are just going to surrender leads after leads SMH.

Reply #615622 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Penney still as hungry as ever

Reply #615624 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Mitchell's FT barely touched the net

Reply #615625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Newley has very little shooting ability, which is why his game never transitioned to the NBA

Reply #615626 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

21 games now and Gaze's lack of experience as coach is starting to show. His substitution pattern needs to be overhauled to make sure that his best two-way lineup exploiting mismatches has the stamina to end each half if its a close game. He needs to learn from Bevo big time.

Reply #615628 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Someone needs to tap Rosen on the shoulder, this game would be much better to listen to if it were just Harvey doing colour.

Reply #615629 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Top 4 commentary predictions

Rosen

Illawarra
Adelaide
Melbourne
Sydney

Champs: Melbourne
Bottom: Brisbane

Harvey

Illawarra
Adelaide
Sydney
Melbourne

Champs: Sydney
Bottom: Brisbane

Reply #615630 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Carter puts NZB in front.

Reply #615631 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Delany has made some mistakes.. but that and1 dunk was all effort. Love that guy!

Reply #615632 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Horrible defence from the Kings

Reply #615633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carter looks decent out there. Any team who needs cadee to play a big role is not a contender

Reply #615634 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Kirk Penney's 95th 20 point game

Andrew Gaze had 554 20 point games

Reply #615635 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Illie only got a 5 from the Russian judge :)

Reply #615636 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Errr Henare's foot was in the court when he's trying to tell Penney not to foul... isn't that a tech?

Reply #615639 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

NZ almost trying to blow this

Reply #615640 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Just too many boneheaded plays at the end here

Penney
Mitchell
Powell

Reply #615641 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Well Powell tried to blow it as well :)

Reply #615642 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Neither team deserves to win this one.

Reply #615643 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Lets just call it a draw and move on

Reply #615644 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Terrible but entertaining somehow... its like a contest of who can do it worse...

Reply #615645 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Now Carter travels

Reply #615646 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

LOL

Reply #615647 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Kings then daylight

Reply #615648 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Carter is not very athletic fellas, let's kill that notion eh? He's just long

Reply #615651 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Breakers spudding their free throws was the difference

Reply #615654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great job Steve. Chokers Breakers as you are bro.
Final score Kings 85 - 80.

Reply #615655 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Stockton injured?

Reply #615676 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I didn't see when it happened, but Stockton injured himself 1st Q and didn't return.

Relieved to get the win, but we really didn't deserve that. The first 2-3 mins we ran the best offense we've run all season, and then went completely away from it for the rest of the game.

Reply #615678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still don't understand Jackson signing, didn't do much and made a few mistakes. Garlepp got lift as well, feel for Hill and even Moller has shown a fair bit when given the chance. They had to sign an extra guard not a 4/3 man.

Reply #615679 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I actually think Jackson is a real good signing, because he gives us what Moller does (rebounding), with the addition of some pretty good post moves. Having said that, I think Moller might end up being a pretty darn good NBL player at some point.

Reply #615688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still think the kings need a defensive guard that can also score, Lisch is a champion but is looking tired and needs help, Cadee divides opinions but an extra guard in the rotation would be more useful..

Reply #615698 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

McDowell-White is supposed to be that defensive guard that may be able to score but he is an unknown and unproven 18 year old prospect. The NBL, particularly this season, is definitely a step up from SEABL, U-19s or Adidas/Nike camps where he is somewhat of a known quantity. He definitely has the talent and physical abilities to be successful in the NBL and beyond, but whether that would transpire during this short stint with the Kings, we will witness that soon I suppose.

T-Ferg is about the only NBL player that he's played against in that World Select vs. US Junior team in the Nike Hoop Summit earlier this year. T-Ferg was the standout while MDW had a mediocre game but that could be due to his team, so its not a reliable gauge.

It's a pity Gaze didn't have the confidence to sub him in tonight, his parents were in the game hoping to see his first NBL game. Gaze did say post-game that the game was too crucial for the Kings and he wanted MDW to have at least 2 practice sessions.

Reply #615705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kings then daylight"

What even is "daylight?

Reply #615707 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

When Lisch goes 1 for 14, the Kings opened the door for another loss at home, but we were not good enough to accept. Lisch did a great job on Carter though.
Stockton was injured because he suddenly realised he had a wide open lay up and had to stretch to get there.
Then going 16 of 30 from the line was embarrassing and committing 20 TO's sealed our fate.
Shea did his best but the ball just dies with him and he always seems to end up with it with the clock running out. Shea having to play the bulk of the game really showed he is a 10-15 minute bench player.When Carter took over at point he needed a high screen to shake Lisch.
Then Carter underestimated Powell when he tried to go to the hoop.
Carter looks good like another great shooter, but he never got the ball and I don't even think we were trying to get him into the game early on.

Reply #615708 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Championship teams find ways to win ugly. And the Kings did this last night. Any team with a fit and firing Lisch & Newley are gonna be in with a shot when it's money time.

It still baffles me how any professional baller can shoot below 50% from the free throw line, dead set, Mitchell was great, but his FT shooting is simply not to a professional standard. Cost the breakers what shoulda been a well earned resiliant victory.

Reply #615711 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Penney missed a few free throws as well.

Reply #615714 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Didn't the breakers shoot like 50% from the line?
Coach killing!!!

Reply #615720 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Daylight:

A term related to proximity. Think of cricket, where there is a review to see whether a batsman has nicked the ball on a 'caught behind' appeal. When they see the replay you will hear the commentators say, "You can definitely see daylight between bat and ball", which translates to 'there is a noticeable gap between bat and ball'. Apply that to this forum and 'Sydney then daylight' means there is a noticeable gap between Sydney and the rest of the competition (with regard to talent). Of course, lately it has been used sarcastically because Sydney have been poop.

Reply #615723 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:51 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754