Anonymous
Years ago

Should replay be a challenge method

In basketball, I note the referees seem to determine what to check on the replay. Should it be like tennis or NFL where each team has a limited amount of challenges they can use

Topic #40589 | Report this topic

jumper  
Years ago

NO it just opens a huge can of worms.

Reply #616205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem I see with the current method is there is potentially too many reviews down the stretch (particularly in the NBA). Often on calls you know are most likely right but since there is no penalty for checking they overdo it in the name of "making sure we get it right". But it makes the game very slow and takes the excitement out of it.

Reply #616211 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

My understanding of the NBL rules is that it is only in the last two minutes.

Firstly, I think they should do it properly. Have a "4th Ref" sitting in a booth with a video tech, big screens, and multiple video feeds. The current system where they go to the sidelines and peer at a 12" monitor is a joke.

Perhaps the biggest thing you need to fix is the attitude of the refs. How many times do we see 2 refs with good vision make no call, and the unsighted ref calls a charge or a block. Logically they should consult, and if necessary majority rules. But they seldom do.
Refs need to swallow their pride and if necessary refer to the video ref.

Have the refs in radio communication, and make it fast. If the video ref can't see an answer in say 20 seconds, then the floor call stands.

But in answer to the OP, yes I would give each coach 3 appeals, 1 in each half, and one in the last two minutes. With the condition that if the appeal is upheld, then they get a 2nd, but no more than a 2nd in each period, so an absolute maximum of 6. (Plus of course provision for OT.)

I would also restrict the type of call that can be appealed. OOB, blocked shots and reaching in where the player claims he got all ball, 2/3 point calls, and buzzer/SC beaters.

I would not allow appeals on blocking/charge calls. Simply because it would take far too long for the video ref to review all angles.

Reply #616228 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

My understanding of the NBL rules is that it is only in the last two minutes.
Your understanding is, as usual, wrong.

It can be used at any time in the game to check the value of a shot, what time should be remaining on the clocks if there's an issue, or to identify which player should be shooting free throws. It can also be used after fight/melee situations.

It can be used in the final two minutes to check whether a shot was released before the shot clock or game clock buzzer, whether it was released before a foul call, and to check possession on an out-of-bounds call.

ut in answer to the OP, yes I would give each coach 3 appeals, 1 in each half, and one in the last two minutes. With the condition that if the appeal is upheld, then they get a 2nd, but no more than a 2nd in each period, so an absolute maximum of 6.
Systems where you lose challenges whether you're correct or not are absurd.

I would also restrict the type of call that can be appealed. OOB, blocked shots and reaching in where the player claims he got all ball, 2/3 point calls, and buzzer/SC beaters.
So when you say 'restrict the type of call that can be appealed', you mean 'massively expand the types of reviewable calls, including making subjective calls reviewable unlike any other sport in existence despite the obvious impossibility of reviewing them'?

Reply #616229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz wrong again the KR always the expert correcting him.

Reply #616234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So when you say 'restrict the type of call that can be appealed', you mean 'massively expand the types of reviewable calls, including making subjective calls reviewable unlike any other sport in existence despite the obvious impossibility of reviewing them'?"

I only follow cricket loosely, but don't they now use video to adjudicate LBW decisions?

Reply #616235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It can be used at any time in the game to check the value of a shot"

It's a pet hate of mine in the NBL when they stop the game in the middle of the second quarter to spend a few minutes seeing whether it was a two or a three. In the NBA, if there is doubt, they simply note it at the time and then take a closer look at the next break in play, so as not to hold up play.

The exception being in the last few minutes of a game, where the size of the lead may have a direct effect on what strategy teams will employ.

Reply #616236 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

only follow cricket loosely, but don't they now use video to adjudicate LBW decisions?
Not subjectively.

Reply #616246 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

I'd like to see a challenge system implemented

Reply #616427 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:25 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754