Dazz
Years ago

NH: Diving into Pools

30 Years ago, my brother dove into a Pool, broke his neck, and has been a quadriplegic ever since.
Not much of a life, his body can't even take a crap by itself.

A week before Christmas, my niece did the same thing.

Why are people still doing this?

Please, tell your kids.

It's summer in Aus, beaches and pools are great, have fun. Do bombies, much more fun.
Unless you're training for the Olympics, don't dive.

Topic #40590 | Report this topic

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Great advice Dazz.
Sorry to hear about your brother. Is your niece going to be OK?

Reply #616207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry to hear Dazz. When you say diving, do you mean diving off a board like in the Olympics?

Reply #616210 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's terrible Dazz sorry to hear about it happening to your niece too.

I've never understood why anyone would dive into a backyard pool.

Reply #616216 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Just diving from the side into a regular pool. I think people don't realise just how deep you go, or they think their arms will protect them?
Safer just to not do it.

Problem is that diving is something we're all taught to do as kids, as part of our swimming lessons.

When my brother was first in hospital, there was a guy there who broke his neck diving off his boat at Rotto. I guess if the water is clear, the sun is out, and you can see the bottom, don't dive.

My niece was in a real bad way, could not even breath on her own, but has recovered somewhat. She will probably never walk again, and it looks like her right arm will be disabled.
She is a kind young lady with two gorgeous kids.

Reply #616225 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Sad story Dazz, unfortunately its something most young aussies have done,i know I did on more than one occasion as a young lad.
It hurts me when I see someone getting pushed in a wheel chair, especially young people....the pain obviously doesn't stop with them, but forever also with their families.

Reply #616436 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:30 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754