Anonymous
Years ago

Bryce Cotton signing confirmed

Bryce Cotton Signed

The Perth Wildcats have signed fringe NBA player Bryce Cotton for the remainder of the 2016/17 NBL season.

Cotton is an exciting point guard with quality ball-handling skills and exceptional shooting ability.

He also has the capacity to play off the ball, meaning he'll be able to carry the ball when required, or bolster the team’s scoring options as a shooting guard.

The 24-year-old American played for the Utah Jazz during the 2014/15 NBA season, and last season he represented both the Phoenix Suns and the Memphis Grizzlies.

His best NBA game was in a 2015 Jazz win over Dallas, where he scored 21 points on eight of 15 shooting while dishing out four assists.

Cotton has also played in the NBA Development League as well as in Turkey and China.

He’s excited for the next chapter in his professional career.

"I consider myself a team-first player, and this is a great opportunity for me to help this very successful organisation really take on the second half of the season.

“I’m looking forward to getting on the court with my new teammates and working my hardest to do whatever I’m required to do."

Bryce Cotton was born and raised in Tucson, Arizona, before heading to Rhode Island to play Division 1 college basketball for the Providence Friars.

In his senior year, he was one of the best college point guards in the United States, averaging 21.8 points and 5.8 assists per game on his way to being named Big East Tournament MVP in 2014.

Despite going unselected in the 2014 NBA Draft, he was picked up by the San Antonio Spurs before being assigned to their affiliated Development League team, the Austin Spurs.

In his time playing in the D-League, he has averaged 22.0 points per game, shooting at outstanding 47.6 per cent, including 44.9 per cent from outside the arc.

He’s also a strong defender, collecting 1.3 steals per game and getting on the end of 4.5 rebounds.

Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson is confident that Cotton is the missing piece of the puzzle.

“We thought we needed more help with our ball handling and perimeter shooting,” he said.

”Bryce is an explosive scorer off the dribble or coming off screens to catch and shoot, with deep three-point range, and that’s really going to help us.

“He brings a lot of energy with his quickness, which our team will feed off. I think he’s going to become a crowd favourite very shortly.”

Bryce Cotton stands at 185cm and weighs 75kg.

He has arrived in Perth and will train with his new teammates for the first time today.

Topic #40595 | Report this topic

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Finally. No two ways, he will cause much collateral damage to many teams.

Looking forward to game time.

Reply #616360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone keen to spill the beans on jj yet?

Reply #616361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

um JJ was the opposite type of player to what the Cats need. Thats all it is. Forget everyones conspiracy theories. He may of played reasonably well but it became pretty obvious that without Martin and some avg PG play that a dynamic PG was what they needed to make a final run at the playoffs. JJ just didnt have the skill set required.

Reply #616362 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

The NBL have done extremely well to keep the real JJ story untold...... This looks like a great signing for Perth. Very similar player to Randle and Ware who are having huge success's in the league for their respective clubs.

Reply #616364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry anon you are wrong

Reply #616365 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Underbelly: The JJ Story coming to channel 9 in 2017

Reply #616368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Instead of the same two idiots continually saying "I know something you don't know" why don't they actually say what happened. Otherwise they look like attention seeking fools.

Reply #616371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I honestly doubt something happened and it was just JJ wasn't the right fit.

Reply #616372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also know something you don't know :)

Reply #616373 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

I haven't heard the smug "I know something you don't know" line since grade 4.

Reply #616374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm rubber, you're glue.

Reply #616375 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

A few people in the PEN15 club here

Looking forward to seeing Cotton suit up aginst Melbourne!

Reply #616376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm also in the PEN15 club

Reply #616377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton has a very small frame.

Probably why he gets over looked in the NBA.

This could be a low key massive signing for Perth.

Will be interesting to see how he gels with the team.

If he's a court general then other players will naturally improve.

Reply #616378 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'I'm rubber, you're glue.'

How appropriate, you fight like a cow!

Reply #616381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D martin will return this weekend

Reply #616387 | Report this post

Years ago

Let's not forget Gleeson also said Bragg would become a crowd favorite then proceeded to leave him on the bench....

Reply #616388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a crowd favourite, what does him being benched have anything to do with that?

Reply #616389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is not like ware or Randle. He's a better three point shooter

Reply #616392 | Report this post

Years ago

Do i really need to explain what I'm implying?
When Gleeson announces someone as quickly become a crowd favorite they get left on the bench...

Reply #616393 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I love how the Cats always send out the email titled "Members First" then announce something everyone has known for a week.

I HOPE Cotton is the right fit. Interesting that they have gone for another PG. (Perhaps indicates Damo's recover is slower than expected?)
Have to wait and see how he goes in the NBL, but I think comparisons to Ware and Randle are premature, he doesn't strike me as a prolific scorer like those two.

Reply #616394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz how is it INTERESTING they've gone for another PG/SG.

It's exactly what they've been missing and exactly why they cut JJ

Reply #616395 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

In a perfect world I assumed the would have gone for a SG, maybe a combo. Cotton seems to be very much a PG. According to the scouting report Boti unearthed, he's not expected to be a prolific 3-point shooter.
As I said, we'll have to wait and see how he goes in the NBL. Maybe playing the 2 spot he'll let rip and average 20ppg. :-)

Reply #616396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does he not strike you as a prolific scorer Dazz, you really come up with some rubbish mate

Reply #616400 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Cotton has a very small frame.
Probably why he gets over looked in the NBA.

Bryce Cotton was born and raised in Tucson, Arizona
There's ya problem, everyone knows that Cotton shrinks.

Reply #616401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe you need to find a new sport to analyze dazz

Reply #616403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

funny that's what all the afl fans said to him right before he got on the nbl bandwagon

Reply #616404 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

After a couple of games his attitude will change, typical dazz

Reply #616406 | Report this post

JasonC  
Years ago

Impressive hops!
https://youtu.be/EzIgozb1Fjg

JasonC

Reply #616407 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Nice jumping ability but really that was 6 years ago and he is much older now, plus you can't jump like that in the NBL 95% of the time.

Reply #616408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where are you currently coaching Dazz?

Reply #616410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is very explosive off two feet. Not so much off one.

Someone with his frame and size won't be using his vertical in traffic.

But all the NBL and Wildcats are showing are dunk highlights.

I'm more interested in seeing his shot creation off the dribble and dribble penetration.

I think Prather will benefit the most out of this and really enjoy playing with a dynamic PG/SG

Reply #616412 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

Perth wilburs i think you need to check out the video on the wildcats instagram page

Reply #616413 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nice jumping ability but really that was 6 years ago and he is much older now

plus you can't jump like that in the NBL 95% of the time.
What about the NBL makes jumping any different to any other league?

Reply #616414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone Worried about him losing his hops needs to only look at this from 2015.

Reply #616416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth Wilburs that wasn't 6 years ago, he's only 24.

Reply #616420 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Correct, it was actually 8 years ago.

Reply #616423 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Not another one who says 'correct'...

Reply #616424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daz you don't have to worry about his three point shooting he is very good at that. He is quite small though so the question will be his ability to get inside and either finish or draw defenders in

Reply #616425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daz his skill set is one of a combo guard. He can shoot the heck out of it. Defence can he guard SG not sure but if you have Damien Martin he can play on them

Reply #616426 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

You can't jump and skip around in a game like that in a dunk contest or a training session.

I would wait until the games start this week to form an opinion.

Reply #616428 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If I posted the same shit a dozen times, but called myself "anonymous" does that make it stink less?

Reply #616430 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It will be a great day for hoops when they discover a cure for the short-term memory loss so many are afflicted by.
(Although the cure for Cretinism has been known for a while, and that doesn't seem to have helped.)

WHERE have I been anything but positive about his signing?
All I have said is that we need to wait and see him play in the NBL BEFORE proclaiming that he's going to be as prolific as Ware and Randle.

As for "analysing" / "coaching" / whatever, as I clearly said, I am reading the scouting report from his actual coaches, published by a reputable journalist.
As opposed to those on here claiming he's a SG, based purely off sniffing their own farts.

Reply #616431 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cotton & Gleeson press conference audio

https://audioboom.com/posts/5454259-bryce-cotton-s-first-press-conference-3-january-2017

Reply #616434 | Report this post

1.9M_Jawai  
Years ago

Not that is matters too much but 6'1" looks to be pretty generous.

I think he's a coupe of inches shorter than that.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing him ply his trade with the mighty Wildcats.

Reply #616442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was 2015 koberulz

Reply #616447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, maybe have a crack at footy

Reply #616448 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Jazz video was, but not the video that was actually being discussed.

Reply #616449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh sorry mate, i must have missed that one

Reply #616451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Notes from Presser

Bryce

Adjusting to timezone. Enjoying the weather.

Arrived on Sunday.

Learning the terminology and lingo.

Aware of the Wildcats history.

Up to speed with how the team is traveling.

Coach has told him to use his speed to his advantage. Use his instincts.

Cool to have Joe Ingles tweet him.

Right decision to come to Australia.

Weather's perfect, likes the coach and team.

Gleeson

Has had him in mind for two years.
Always on the radar. Fortunate to have him.

Win against the Hawks was big. Team played great. If they can play at that level the second half of the season will be fun.

League's the closest Gleeson has seen.

8 teams can make the playoffs.

Damo had his first practice. Not confirmed marto will be back yet. But hopeful. First time on court in 9 weeks.

Fingers crossed the Cats have a full strength team to pick from this weekend.

Wagstaff was fantastic last game. Glad he's hitting form at the right time

Reply #616454 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

I'm sure I heard in there somewhere that they are going to ask for Dazz's approval in the future before signing another import.

Reply #616457 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Martin will be back next week. Perth v Adelaide.

Reply #616461 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

The only option would be Dazz's GOAT Jermaine Dollar Beal

Reply #616462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As opposed to those on here claiming he's a SG, based purely off sniffing their own farts."

Sniffing my own farts? The cats press release states:

"Cotton is an exciting point guard with quality ball-handling skills and exceptional shooting ability.

He also has the capacity to play off the ball, meaning he'll be able to carry the ball when required, or bolster the team’s scoring options as a shooting guard."

So yes PG is his primary position but he can play off the ball and use his shooting ability too as a SG.

Watch the film and check his stats they would appear to concur that this guy can shoot very well.

I questioned his ability to play SG on defence given his small stature and frame but that's why I commented it may be less of an issue if he's paired in the backcourt with Martin, who may be capable of checking SGs.

I'm a big fan of yours generally Daz but you've incorrectly insulted me there

Reply #616464 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

Be nice to your fan dazz, he is your only one

Reply #616465 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This could potentially change the NBL landscape just like Casper Ware's signing did for United.

If so, then it Sucks for Cairns and they have indeed been screwed- they have 3 more games vs Perth.

Perth is also lucky in that they have 11 games left, less than everyone else (Sydney has 7...). And their schedule has been sparse while Martin is out.

Reply #616487 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like this signing. Can play both guard positions and has been playing off the ball a bit in Europe so is ready to swing between both spots as required.

Defence is the biggest concern, but if Martin is back soon Cotton will be in the backcourt with a mix of Damo, Kenny and Prather who can all defend like crazy.

Given Perth are well and truly in touch, this signing gives them a real title chance if Cotton is fit and firing.

Reply #616507 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Not sure why people get so upset?
Primarily, all I said was that we should wait till we actually see him play in the NBL before proclaiming him to be better than Ware & Randle. I personally think that's sage advice regarding any new player to the NBL.
And he's a PG, not an SG. Simple fact. Like most PG's in his category, he can also score, that's generally what NBL teams look for in an import PG, and its certainly what Perth needed.

I pointed out that Boti had mentioned a scouting report from previous coaches indicating he wasn't necessarily a 3-point gun. And for some reason that has enraged people?
Then they have defended their outrage, based on nothing.

Ironically, his 3-point shooting so far has been on average shit. But I'm hoping that will settle down. Again, all I'm saying is that we should wait and see, before proclaiming him the saviour of the Cats' despicable 3-point ability.

Reply #619258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks for bumping an old thread to repeat things you had already said. you really added a lot to the conversation with that. totally worth it. we are all looking forward to another reminder in a couple of weeks.

Reply #619259 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

But what's the overall impression so far?

He definitely looks to be a very capable PG, and the Cats often rely on him to bring the ball up. D seems decent, and will hopefully improve as he settles into the league.
So far he looks like he could have a real future in this league, if he wants it, and the money is right.

He has been very wasteful, especially from beyond the arc. Any opinions?
Is he possibly a bit fatigued, having a few weeks off, then coming in and playing big minutes??
Or is he just feeling pressure to take too many shots?

Overall, got to be happy with the points he's producing, and if he can improve his accuracy and/or shot selection, it could be awesome.

Reply #619261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is just a shorter beal so far. one good shooting game and the rest meh.

Reply #619262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like him so far. Expecting him to improve as the team does and as he gets more comfortable. I think he's definitely the missing piece we were after, we just need to get all our pieces together and playing well.

Even when he's not scoring the team looks 100 times better when he's on the court imo. Having someone like him to be able to carry the ball and make some plays happen, we look so much better.

Reply #619263 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He certainly looks like the sort of SG the Wildcats need, but he seems to struggle at times without Martin running the point, which is understandable given how new he is.

His shooting percentages have been poor, but he's also been left holding the can late in the shot clock many times. I think it's too early to tell.

Reply #619278 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754