Zodiac
Years ago

Bevo calls out Marvelle Harris

Bevo trying to fire up struggling import Marvelle Harris ahead of tomorrow night's game in Adelaide.

"He's just got to work his arse off, simple as that," Beveridge said.

“Confidence is something in the rubbish bin, where you go, put it in there, take it out, whatever else.

“If you’re doing the work, you’ve got to work your arse off and right now, he’s a real young guy that’s been a big fish in a small pond (in college basketball) over in the (United) States.

“He’s been very, very good and (had) an enormous amount of confidence.

“Right now, you’re in a men’s league.

“Now this is a damn good league and it’s not as easy as what he probably thinks it is, and that happens with a lot of first-year imports.”

“I think he’s going to be an exceptional player and this is a wonderful learning experience for a first-year kid out of college,” Beveridge said.

“(But) right now he’s got a choice. He can either sulk, he can sook and go away and it’s all too hard. Or I expect him to continue to work hard and fight

“He’s got a group of guys around him that will help. It’s coaching staff, it’s the players, it’s the whole lot.

“So right now it’s one of those things, ’Velle, if you think you’re in a hole, get out of it by working hard, by rebounding, by running the floor, by doing a lot of those things that can help regain confidence again.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/illawarra-coach-rob-beveridge-pulls-no-punches-in-guiding-struggling-import-marvelle-harris-back-to-nbl-form-against-36ers/news-story/547621fd03fd83ae1f35f6a5c0d9ee9d

Topic #40603 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish he didn't do that.

Marvelle has been doing well for my under betting.

Reply #616518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahah mine too! Better player than Ferguson so Hawks can't be too pissed off with his output.

Reply #616520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better than Ferguson? He played well for 2 rounds at the start of the season and has been absolutely woeful since. Ferg is 18 so harsh to compare the two.

Reply #616523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never harsh to compare import to import in a professional men's league. Turn it up. More a blight on the 36ers for making the call than the kid. But truth is Harris offers more... Ferguson is fearful of impact and stats.

Reply #616525 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Hawks have been playing well without any input from Marvelle Harris so when he gets going again like the earlier rounds Hawks will be very hard team to beat.When Harris was going well Rotnei Clarke was stuggling now it's the other way round.If both get going at the same time watch out .

Reply #616526 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I love our NBL ATM... teams don't need 3 imports when we have such a wealth of Aussie talent capable of similar contributions. Sure,we have a few absolute stand out or established imports, but look at the amount imports in our league this year that are playing more or a valuable role as a apposed to the superstar role most people expect of them.

Reply #616528 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He was a standout in the first few games, early leader for MVP, WTF happened?

Discovered he didn't like Australia/ homesick???

Reply #616529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they should have done a Perth and made up a bullshit excuse and sacked him.

Reply #616533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JJ would probably fit in the Hawks quite well.

Reply #616539 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Maybe they should have done a Perth and made up a bullshit excuse and sacked him.
Wow, and people accuse me of trying to make every thread about Perth?

Reply #616541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Dazz that is correct. You need to lay off the cats nuts.

Reply #616544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Role player imports:
Sydney: Powell (Prev Blake)
Melbourne: Boone, Moore, (prev Williams)
Cairns: Egwu
Brisbane: -
Perth: McKay
New Zealand: Mitchell
Adelaide: Ferguson, Jacobsen
Illawarra: Holyfield

You could argue guys like Beal, Jaron Johnson and Fuquan Edwin also however despite their struggles do or did have larger roles on their respective teams

Reply #616546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of those teams can a team like adelaide really afford to have 2 of its imports as role players? Me thinks not. Throw a jj or a Harris on a 6er team
And they will not be role players.

Reply #616551 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ideally you would but I doubt they can afford to change now, nor would you mess with what has proven so far to be a winning team. Wouldn't surprise me if Ferguson has a no-cut contract too.

Reply #616554 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Too little too late for mine.
I like Beverage as a coach but to have put up with apparent "attitude" till now does not bode well for a change.
I thought Harris had some talent, could put it on the floor, had a consistent pull up, but did not get the opportunity i.e. playing time. He was always in foul trouble, usually reaching fouls.
He didn't seem a fourth quarter option and the team squeaked games without him.
The Hawks need him contributing 15 points automatically to be legitimate final 4.
Pressure is on from here.

Reply #616563 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Well said Tom.
I think injury and foul trouble have slumped him... but I think he'll bounce back!

Reply #616587 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:30 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754