Luke
Years ago

NBL eyes deal to play NBA teams

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nbl-boss-larry-kestelman-closes-in-on-nba-deal-for-australian-teams-to-play-in-us/news-story/8bdcc53448b47e57ceb29f104e571c61

Thoughts? Would be interesting to see I guess..

Topic #40624 | Report this topic

AC  
Years ago

Remember how the Wildcats Vs Rockets (without Olajuwon) went. I'd like to hope our local talent can stack it up these days

Reply #617181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lk does it again!

Reply #617182 | Report this post

Years ago

would be great - i can recall a mcdonalds cup a few years ago - was it euro / nba / nbl champs all played.

we would probably play a watered down nba team - but i like it

Reply #617311 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

@ac, wildcats literally won the championship,got on a plane, celebrated on the plane, got off then played rockets hungover, it was in some article or video somewhere. The result wouldn't have changed but wouldn't have been so bad.

Reply #617550 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They missed about a dozen layups in the first quarter, then cut the lead to nine at the half once the nerves wore off.

Houston absolutely wiped the floor with them in the second half.

Reply #617577 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I assume he's talking about something like participating in one of the Summer Leagues? That could be interesting.
Playing against a full-strength NBA team would be a joke.

But, fuck "Sydney & Melbourne", it needs to be the champion team, end of story.

Reply #617580 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

It was an interview with a Sydney paper wasn't it? Probably why Sydney was mentioned..hopefully a couple of teams can get involved if this takes off.

Reply #617597 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That Houston vs Perth game the Rockets were missing I think their top 3 players Olajuwon, Drexler & I think Horry and Perth played like a deer in headlights and got annihilated.

I doubt NBL players would be in awe as much as The Wildcats were back then and if they're going to be during the NBA pre-season it probably means the teams that go over will be doing so during the NBL season.

Melbourne United would be a lock because LK and I think the style Adelaide plays would translate reasonably well. Only hope you would have against an NBA team try and out gun them and hope 1 or 2 guys get hot rather than the slow low scoring defence wins the day Perth style, that would be asking for a flogging against their superior execution.

Reply #617600 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That Houston vs Perth game the Rockets were missing I think their top 3 players Olajuwon, Drexler & I think Horry
Drexler and Horry both played.

The full game is on NBL TV if anyone's interested.

Reply #617652 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Melbourne United would be a lock because LK
So even if they suck balls and finish last, we send MU because of LK??? ROFL
Yeah sure the NBA will agree to that, after all they'll be SO impressed with LK.
and I think the style Adelaide plays would translate reasonably well. Only hope you would have against an NBA team try and out gun them and hope 1 or 2 guys get hot
ROFL
Yeah, outgun the NBA team, great strategy. What happens when your guys DON'T get hot (against a superior team)? They'd get flogged, it would be an embarrassment, and we wouldn't be invited back.

Besides, say LK could somehow get the NBA to agree to this just being another amusement, and he sends his pet team, how does that benefit anyone but him?

It's rather telling that I say the Champion team should go, and you immediately assume its the Wildcats!?! All I'm saying is we send the best we have each year.

The problem tough would be the timing. We're talking pre-season, so the team that won the 'ship may have changed. This year we would have sent the Cats, and with so many changes it would not have been pretty.
MAYBE, we run out pre-season tourney a bit early, and send the winner??

Reply #617660 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Anytime you're trying to take on a team vastly more talented and skilled, the last thing you want to do is play it on those terms.

Run and gun puts away all of the sets, strategy and match ups. You hope that your shots go in at a freakish rate and then you hope the NBA side is lethargic, shocked and simply don't have their heads in the game.

If you try to make a proper basketball game out of it, you'll get slaughtered.

Reply #617664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The problem tough would be the timing."

And cost. Sending Perth over adds at least $30,000 in airfares alone for their players and just a handful of support staff.

Reply #617670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeremy Loeliger was on SEN today and basically confirmed what had already been suggested in the article that its not a matter of if but when.

https://audioboom.com/posts/5477757-jeremy-loeliger-on-sportsentral-10-01-2017

Reply #617762 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:38 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754