Anonymous
Years ago

Could sobey attract NBA interest?

I just tuned in to today's game whilst the broadcasters were interviewing an Indiana Pacers scout.

I didn't hear if he said who he was there to watch. Presumably Ferguson, but with more eyes on sobey could he also gain interest? Fast becoming the complete player

Topic #40625 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not? White chocolate 2.0

Reply #617184 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

too old now

Reply #617185 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

26 is too old? Rubbish

Reply #617186 | Report this post

whatisit  
Years ago

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #617188 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Wright will probably help him get into a training camp as he did with Sam Mackinnon but I think that will be the end of the road. Still will be a valuable experience.

Reply #617212 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

With his size, Sobey would need to play point the NBA? Very much an uphill battle.

Pacers projected to draft where T Ferg will be available, makes sense a scout was out here.

Reply #617217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jonah Bolden now on the draft board.

Reply #617218 | Report this post

Years ago

people said no to Delly as well ..... look who is right know. He wont know until he gives it a go - but it's a big competitive world out there.

Reply #617236 | Report this post

Years ago

who is to say wasn't looking at Randle

Reply #617237 | Report this post

Pacers Scout  
Years ago

I was watching Vukona guys.

Reply #617239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle is too old and needs the ball a lot to be effective

Reply #617242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I could see him getting a summer league spot somewhere similar to what Goulding did in the past, would be a longshot to get signed anywhere

Reply #617251 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Sobey is crap.I heard Pheonix were interested which says it all cause there crap too.If Ware and Cotton can't get a regular gig in nba surely Sobey won't get a nba spot

Reply #617252 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

What role would Sobey play in the NBA? Would his athleticism be enough in a league where a lot of the guards are much bigger, stronger and faster than him? There's already a white chocolate on the draft board for 2017, Grayson Allen and he's projected in mid 30s I think. Not much love for those, they prefer fruit and nuts over there.

Reply #617255 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sobey could play in the NBA sure but will he? I doubt it. Sobey reminds me of a footy player playing basketball, he doesn't have that robotic quality a lot of basketballers have and just puts his head down and breaks down defences.

There are worse players in the NBA we all know that but what could Sobey bring to an NBA team that would in their mind see them take a gamble on him? Not much I would've thought in a league full of athleticism.

Reply #617258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson, you mean 'they're' right!?

Reply #617267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like to see him back at Ballarat Miners. Was a solid starter here in SEABL and his vertical surprised a number of bigger wings.

Reply #617310 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I don't think it is a matter of could he attract NBA interest...he already is according to reports. Questions should be, can he crack the NBA?

Reply #617315 | Report this post

Ras Posse  
Years ago

Sobey is way too soft for the NBA , this diving all over the floor shizz every time he is fouled would not be tolerated in the big league . Just look at the foul yesterday by Akil Mitchell and also on thursday by Rhys Martin as perfect examples.Now Europe though they love that.

Reply #617317 | Report this post

knowledge4all  
Years ago

Why so much hate....Another aussie in the NBA could maeke the NBL that much more valuable...I say good luck to him and I hope he makes it!

Reply #617319 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Ras Posse, don't think you have watched too many NBA games. NBA players have made an art form of drawing fouls and exaggerating contact. Just youtube 'NBA flops' and tell me Sobey doesn't fit right in!

Reply #617321 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

On a serious note, Sobey is only just slightly older than college returnees, has above average athleticism and an improving shot. He has the same sort of shot as a Goulding or C Webster of making a spot, with the disadvantage being the absence of international exposure.

Reply #617323 | Report this post

Ras Posse  
Years ago

Thats a good point XY , but thats from a lot of games over a lot of years. I guess i just dont want Basketball to turn into Soccer .

Reply #617325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he doesn't make the NBA its because he was in hospital the other day. Did anyone hear about that? It was the reason the Sixers lost. Not making excuses for them but he was in hospital so I guess it was an excuse. No one was meant to know but luckily someone told us that he was in hospital. But don't make a big thing about it because it wasn't an excuse. The hospital thing, I mean. Do they have hospitals in the NBA? Hope so, cos Sobey sometimes secretly goes to them.

Reply #617327 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

XY - wouldn't the lack of international exposure for Sobey be due to the fact that he hasn't played well enough until now to even be in the discussion for Boomer selection? (honestly I haven't checked thoroughly whether he's been to a camp before or played, just don't recall it...)

He's become a very good NBL player now, and I reckon his season with Warnambool last year helped with his development in terms of taking responsibility, etc. I'm just not sure I see NBA potential there..

Reply #617328 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I love the fact that he is in the conversation for NBA recruiting, I can't see why he wouldn't be looked at, he is showing extraordinary skill and tenacity, he is obviously an impact player and if he is coach-able he will be an NBA prospect.

Reply #617335 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I would love to see him there - kind of like a future Joe Ingles kind of player who gives you a steady hard-working team player with a few shots, assists, rebounds and steals.

However, I still think he's hitting form too late for him to get a gig. Look how long it took Jingles to get there.

Reply #617336 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:34 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754