Anonymous
Years ago

Perth V Adelaide grand final book it

Whoever gets home court will win it.

Topic #40631 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

If United ever gets a full team on the court then they should be there. They have just as much firepower, if not more, than Adelaide and better D.

Perth vs United is a sneaky chance.

Only one game in but Cotton could be be the man to take Perth from an OK team to quite a good one.

Reply #617288 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Enough of these sarcastic threads, we are not even top 4 yet.

Reply #617289 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

(Insert my team here) should play in the Grand Final. (Player name) is dynamic and can score with anyone and (another player) has improvement we haven't seen yet. If (third player) can get healthy we have a huge shot of winning it all.

Reply #617292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth V Adelaide grand final then daylight

Reply #617293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth V Adelaide is now the championship match up to beat

Reply #617294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth V Adelaide grand final amateur hour

Reply #617295 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think the smart ones stopped making predictions a while ago. This season has been absolutely crazy.

If we did drop Breakers/Taipans/Bullets off of the radar, and I am hesitant since 36ers still have 5 of their 8 against those sides - don't want to cause any bad joojoo...

...then who out of the current top 5 doesn't make it? Adelaide is in prime position with only 2 wins required to get to the golden number of 15 - a number I dare say should make top 4.

Then you need to split up Hawks 11-10, United 10-10, Kings 11-11 and Perth 9-9.

Perth have some winning to do, but with only 9 losses if this new import starts bringing the goods and Damo returns it's tough to see them not make it.

United are looking the goods at the moment - the most damaging team of the competition now with the exception of a loss to the Hawks.

The Hawks keep picking up those important victories and have the second best record in the NBL at the moment.

So where does this leave us? The Kings not making it? With last years' MVP plus Newley? I can't fathom that being the case.

Maybe if we ask nicely the NBL will make it top 6? ;)

Reply #617297 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'd be interested in a summary of every team's run home, if anyone can be bothered putting it together.

Those who are saying "stop making predictions, it's a crazy and even season" well, yes and no. Yes it's been an even season but no, that doesn't mean it will remain that way. Not when Stars like Casper and Cotton are joining mid season. Perth just welcomed back an 11 time defensive player of the year (or maybe it's 5 time DPOY? Who cares....) Back into their team and a fringe NBA guy who potentially complements their group very well and scored an efficient 26 in his first outing.

So, is it even relevant that the league has been so even? Not really- not when the lineups are changing.

Reply #617301 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The run home for Adelaide.

5 out of their 8 games are at home.

V Melbourne
@ Perth
V Brisbane
V Sydney
@ Illawarra
V New Zealand
@ Cairns
V Cairns

The 36ers would have to lose at least 3 games to lose top spot (and that's only if Melbourne or the Hawks go undefeated).

Reply #617303 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Kings will miss out on current form.Kevin Lisch is cooked and its showing in the last few games.The decision to bring in Jackson instead of a quality import guard is coming back to bite them big time.

Reply #617306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide
Perth
Hawks
United

Is my season ending ladder

Reply #617309 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Like last year, matchups might be a significant factor.

Re: United's Matchups:

Melbourne would feel very comfortable if they drew Adelaide in the semis. They smashed Adelaide last week by 30 odd. The time before that, United looked safe and had about a 20 point lead before the 36ers came storming home and made it close in the dying minutes, before United steadied and won by 11. In the first meeting 36ers won a fairly tight contest, but that was mostly courtesy of United going 8/38 from deep.

Illawarra is a bit ambiguous. United dominated The Hawks early in the season before the Hawks really got going. The Hawks have won the subsequent two contests, but United has been decimated by injuries both times.

Perth- Perth currently 2-0, Casper only present for the 2nd game. Will get a good look with 2 matchups remaining and Cotton now in their line up.

Sydney- Melbourne owns close (ish) victories in 2 of 3 contests. In the other Sydney won 87-71, with a close contest turning into a nice win for the Kings as Lisch lit up in the last quarter but United were missing half their team.

I'd rather United play:

1. Adelaide. United has owned them.
2. Sydney. They have struggled since a hot start to the season.
3. Illawarra. They have an 11 man rotation. Bevo a great coach and will have many schemes up his sleeve.
4. Perth. By far the one that worries me the most, now that they have Cotton.

Reply #617312 | Report this post

Lost In The Sky  
Years ago

Remaining Games...

Adelaide 36ers 13-7 (5 Home, 3 Away Left)

V Melbourne
@ Perth
V Brisbane
V Sydney
@ Illawarra
V New Zealand
@ Cairns
V Cairns

Illawarra Hawks 11-10 (5 Home, 2 Away Left)

V Brisbane
V New Zealand
@ Cairns
V Adelaide
V Cairns
@ Melbourne
V Brisbane

Melbourne United 10-10 (3 Home, 5 Away Left)

@ Adelaide
V Cairns
@ Brisbane
@ Perth
@ Sydney
V Illawarra
@ New Zealand
V Perth

Sydney Kings 11-11 (2 Home, 4 Away Left)

@ New Zealand
@ Adelaide
@ Brisbane
V New Zealand
V Melbourne
@ Perth

Perth Wildcats 9-9 (5 Home, 5 Away Left)

@ Brisbane
V Adelaide
@ Cairns
V Cairns
@ New Zealand
V Melbourne
V Brisbane
@ Cairns
V Sydney
@ Melbourne

I have the top 4 as...

Adelaide 18-10
Perth 16-12
Illawarra 15-13
Melbourne 15-13
----------------
Sydney 14-14

Reply #617313 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Thanks Lost in the Sky.

Another reason I'd rather Utd play the 36ers: Western Bulldogs recent success notwithstanding, I'll back experience over youth when you get to the business end of the season.

Reply #617314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #617324 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Agree Lost in the Sky. Have Perth and 36ers at 17/11, Illawara (all those home games) and Melbourne (provided Goulding is fit) taking 3rd and 4th.
I think 15 wins is the cut off.
One game result can change everything though. And I can see upsets by Cairns and Breakers shaping the final 4.

Reply #617339 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Adelaide at 13-7 and Illawarra at 11-10 with 5 home games left- neither are guaranteed - just look at last season, Adelaide at one stage last season looked a *certainty* before Randle got injured.

But they'd both need to do something badly wrong to miss out- In Illawarra's case, drop a couple of their 5 home games whilst also failing to win either of their remaining away games. In Adelaide's case, go on a big losing streak.

Melbourne has been great since Casper arrived. 7-3 record, with Goulding sitting the entire second half of the loss on the weekend. CG43's ankle is only a sprain this time, so hopefully is fit this Thursday. Perth with Cotton and Martin should win 6 of their last 10 and get in.

So:
Adelaide, Illawarra, Perth and Melbourne in some order appears the likely top 4.

Back luck Sydney. What would that mean for Gaze I wonder? Big disappointment...

Reply #617343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone see Hawks finishing last at all? (obviously mathematically still a chance, nothings a certainty)

I just have a bunch of futures bets going and looking to hedge out of one with he hawks, but it all goes to shit if they finish last lol

Reply #617347 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Any team is only one serious injury to a star player away from disaster, this season more than any season I can recall. Still too early to predict anything IMHO.

Reply #617351 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Wildcats has alot of catch up to do. They are awful away from home, they are shocking in Queensland. Casper only played one good game so far, so questions are still out on him. Prather hit the skids last game and if it continues that'll be a major worry. Every other team will know more about Casper as the season rolls on.

Hire, Wagstaff, Redhage, Wroe, Kenny have being playing some awful basketball recently.

Wildcats will get 4th at best, but probably will end up 5th or 6th.

Adelaide
Illawara
Melbourne
Sydney/Perth/Brisbane (Too close to call).

What happened to Goulding? If he is out for a long period then it's a huge blow to them, but if he is fit then Melbourne will make the finals for sure.

Reply #617383 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I think you mean Cotton, not Casper ;)

Reply #617385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Wildcats to win it all at $9 with Bet365 seems pretty decent value, can even look to cash out when the price goes down.

I think the team will be pretty scary in a few games time with Martin/Cotton now into the team. They probably have the best starting 5 IMO.

Biggest issues will be health and the bench. Key bench guys like Wagstaff/Brandt/Kenny/Hire have been disappointing recently. But with all the issues (injuries, JJ not being the right fit, etc) they required too much from them and they didn't deliver what was needed in the larger roles. Now they will start to slide into lesser more of a bench role, the Cats are less reliant on them playing bigger minutes and bigger roles and hopefully they become more effective again.

Reply #617387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth's bench will allways be their one weakness otherwise you have a really talented and balanced starting 5.

Reply #617393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW, Brandt is starting to play up to his potential by throwing around his huge frame in the post. The last two games he has been exceptional.

Reply #617394 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Will Wagstaff ever regain his past form?

Reply #617395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Age and years of flopping have taken their toll. He can once in a while go off, but he has lost his mobility. That was his strength. Running the lanes and quick feet on defence.

Reply #617399 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

With Cotton on, and provided key players stay relatively healthy, I am confident Perth can extend the streak. At this point, I'll be happy with that.

Reply #617400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Running the lanes and quick feet on defence."

Running the lanes has never been Wagstaff's game. He has been a pick and pop shooter, and a handy low post player - not a banger but has some decent up and under moves.

Reply #617403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually it was. His best years under bevo he was really good finisher in the open court by catching an outlet pass.

Reply #617419 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

My end of season ladder prediction at the moment is:

Adelaide 18/10
Perth 16/12
Illawarra 15/13
Sydney 14/14
--------
Melbourne 14/14
Brisbane 12/16
Cairns 12/16
New Zealand 11/17

Separation of Sydney/Melbourne and Brisbane/Cairns is by season splits: Sydney are currently 1:2 against Melbourne, but have a 6pt differential in their favour, so they only need to win their home game against Melbourne. Brisbane is 2:1 against Cairns, so far, with a 21 point differential. I'm pretty certain that's how the top four teams are separated for the purpose of the finals draw. I'm not certain if the final ladder positions in the lower half depend on percentage or season splits. In either case, Brisbane are likely to finish higher, I think.

By my calculations, we are 71.43% of the way through the season, so positions are becoming clearer. Having said that, there's still a long way to go!

Reply #617615 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not certain if the final ladder positions in the lower half depend on percentage or season splits.

I'm pretty sure percentage is only used in-season and the final ladder placings are done by season-splits.

Reply #617621 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Thanks, Zodiac. Can anyone confirm it (like I say, I don't think it'll make a difference, as Cairns can't seem to score at all, anway.)

Reply #617718 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Confirm?
Percentage is meaningless in the NBL.
Teams are split based on h2h record, then if 2:2 it goes to points split, then if somehow that is tied, it goes to %

Reply #617724 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Actually after points tied I think it goes to FG's made.

Reply #617726 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, I can't recall the last time that happened.
It gets interesting where there is a 3-way tie, which is entirely likely.

Back on topic, an Adelaide v Perth finals series (be it SF or GF) would be interesting. Kinda like the unstoppable force meets the immovable object.

Reply #617732 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:45 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754