Matt
Years ago

Are the Brisbane Bullets gone?

Do we have much hope for the Bullets, or are they cooked? Snakes/Breakers are as good as gone, are the Bullets as well after last night's loss?

Topic #40647 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

GONE!

Reply #617688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers
Taipans
Bullets '
Kings

All GONE!

Reply #617689 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they're done. And even if they have some life in them yet, they'd still need to overcome four solid or surging teams to get anywhere from here.

Still baffled by their decision not to grab a third import the second Bairstow went down. They had the frontcourt covered and Craig can play up a spot (which would've covered for Petrie too). Should've recruited for need rather than replacement right then.

Reply #617692 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

It hurts to say, but I think we're gone.
There's 8 games to go so if they're signing an import it has to be done for Friday night.
There's talk of that Kendle, the SEABL MVP but he's injured.

My main 3 complaints this season have been:

* Beal - he had 4 points and 4 turnovers last night and has had less than a handful of good games all season. I'd be looking to replace him, or move him to the bench and possibly even naturalise him.

* Bruce - started well but is now a liability. Izzy's come in and overtaken him already.

* Te Rangi - Looked like he was on the up a couple of weeks ago but has been atrocious since.

Up until last night Gibson wouldn't take a shot, and wasn't being aggressive. We've had no drive and dish guard all season (probably what's stopped Beal from being effective).
Then there's the fouls. And the turnover. God... the turnovers....

Reply #617693 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Up until last night Gibson wouldn't take a shot, and wasn't being aggressive.

That right there is the most annoying thing with Gibbo. He's selective in when he puts the effort in and when he just coasts through games.

Like Carfino said Gibbo told him he loves the challenge of going up against Martin & Perth he did with the 36ers as those two generally competed for last spot on Boomers teams and now that has been taken to another level by Lemanis his Bullets coach picking Martin over him for Rio.

He had a really good game for the Bullets in the win in Perth earlier this season and then another good game last night against them.

Other than that the guy just coasts seemingly only putting in enough effort to stave off being benched.

Reply #617699 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Yes.
Turn the ball over cheaply.
Lack penetration on O.
Missing too many bigs.
Sad but true.

Reply #617701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe the Bullets are gone.

If anything the Wildcats have shown what stringing a few games together can do. From rock bottom to second in 9 days.

This is not a comment on the Bullets line up but just how close the league is. The Bullets actually have the ability to do better. Kickert and Craig are dangerous anywhere. Gibbo and Jervis are capable defenders. Bruce I expected to flourish this year but somehow he has regressed but you wouldn't leave him open.

Reply #617702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were they ever "there"?

Reply #617707 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Randle for mvp and Prather to win championship with wildcats.

It is all so obvious. Can't you see it?

Reply #617708 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Unless something changes (and isn't it too late for that?) they will struggle to make the 4 from here.
This season, it was always going to be a tough fight for the 4. Brissy were definitely in contention, but injuries have cruelled that. They are still competitive, but at this point I'd suggest there are too many teams in a better position.

Like a few teams, they seemed a bit top-heavy this season.
Unfortunately after starting well, Dolla has shown the inconsistency that troubled him at Perth.

Reply #617713 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

They've exceeded my expectations.

Just need to keep the core of the team together and have a bit of luck for next year.

Reply #617719 | Report this post

Pacers Scout  
Years ago

The NBL has passed Beal, not good enough

Reply #617739 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dolla is still a decent player. He helped Perth to a 2nd ring last year. Problem was he'd become a bit too inconsistent in scoring, to be the go-to guy they had come to rely on. Plus for the money he wanted, Perth felt they could find a better option.

Even so, I reckon for most of this season, Perth would have liked to have him back.

I suspect the problem Brissy has, is that both he and Gibson are inconsistent scorers, and they don't seem to have much SG depth on the bench?

And with Beal, I suspect the biggest issue is how much money he's on?

Reply #617743 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Breakers
Cairns
Brisbane
Sydney
All of the above can start planning for next year.The only interest in next few weeks is the final order makeup of the top 4.I'm guessing in order
Perth
Illawarra
Adelaide
Melbourne
I was one of those who said Perth was gone a few weeks ago but with the new import(Cotton)and Martin back they are looking like the team to beat.

Reply #617755 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Brisbane are a good side but Craig aside (and he can be up and down esp TO's in everything but rebounding where he has led the league) offensively they have not had enough contributors. Probably only Young's put backs and inside work (with help from Jervis) have been consistent.
Kickert is not a post up option but as a cutter and finisher he is exceptional but where the hell is he? He is one of the best 3 point shooters in the league. Why is he not specifically instructed to jack up 6-8 3's per game every game.
As with previous posts, Gibson has to get involved. It is only the last two games he shown any inclination. Izzy and him make as good a back court as any going around.
Beal is just an enigma. Perth knew that when they got shot of him. He over dribbles trying to create something out of nothing.This has backfired because now confidence is his problem. He does not trust his 3 ball and then goes searching.
They will upset some teams and shape that final 4.

Reply #617772 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

LOL...Perth the team to beat now. A week or two ago it was Melbourne...yet Adelaide keep proving everyone wrong and sit 2 games clear on top.

Reply #617779 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Any team with Gibson as a starter has already given up.They were never going to win anything with him starting and only two imports.

Reply #617788 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

At the start of the season I looked at that team and thought they'd either explode if Lemanis got them clicking and they stayed injury free or just slowly fall apart as the season went on. IN particular:
1. Beal and Craig both too inconsistent to be on a team together
2. Petrie too worn-out to be on anyone's team
3. Gibson not good enough to be a first-choice point guard as he basically chooses when he can be bothered to turn up.
4. Shaun Bruce not good enough to back up a player as flaky as Gibson

I still rate Lemanis as a coach and think there's a good solid core in that team but this is not going to be a good year for them.

Reply #617816 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

Signed Jeremy Kendle today

9-11 with 8 games to go, 5 of which are on the road.

Go Bullets

Reply #617854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why the kings never signed him when Michael Bryson got the punt or even when they signed Jackson is not understandable, probably cost them a play off birth.

Reply #617860 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:59 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754