Matt
Years ago

NBL winter league(NBA summer league style)

Should the NBL have a winter league(NBA style summer league) and have SEABL align and move to Sumer and NBL form closer affiliates with SEABL clubs(NBA D-League style/or AFL-SANFL style relationship).

Be good to see emerging aussies play in Winter league.
I think SEABL would get more interest if it aligned with NBL and played in same season. eg SEABL/NBL double header. Back in the 90's used often watch a CBA game before the NBL game, double header it was a lot of fun and good promotion for the CBA. Maybe NBL should buy SEABL from BA. The NBL Ceo(LK's right hand man) has spoken a lot about building closer ties with SEABL.
A NBA style, NBL winter league could work.
Remember that rebel group who were proposing a pre-season champion's league, they have gone quiet.

Topic #40656 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Would've been smarter to set up a strong link with the SEABL when the NBL was run by BA. It'd be more difficult now.

Reply #617965 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Firstly, Screw the SEABL.

Secondly, Curtain-Raisers don't work. They tried it for the WNBL, and the idea has been mooted in just about every other sport, and just doesn't work.

Those who would go along to support the junior team, and in process provide a decent crowd in a smaller venue, don't get to go. Then the fans of the senior team, who could get there early, mostly don't bother.
Back in the day, the first time the Perth teams came under common ownership, the Breakers played as a Curtain-Raiser for the Wildcats. We would be one of the few families that got their early, and watched them play in front of a handful of people. It actually hurt their ability to generate and maintain a fan base.
It's just a lose-lose for everybody.

I asked in an earlier thread whether the NBL season was optimally aligned. I don't know whether it is, but one of the current benefits of Summer NBL and Winter SBL is that basketball diehards can have a team to follow all year round.

On to the thread title.
I have no idea if the timing would work, but I think some kind of "Spring" tourney (similar to the Summer Leagues) slotted in between the Winter SBL and Summer NBL, could be good:
Each NBL team assembles a team comprised of DPs and local stars form the 2nd level leagues)SBL, SEABL, etc, etc, (and maybe returning College kids?). It would give a chance for those guys to showcase their talent, and maybe pick up a bench or DP role.
Perhaps even better if the teams were billed as say "The WA SBL All-Stars"? The Breakers would put up an NZNBL team, Cairns an FNQ, and the SEABL could be broken into regions???

Reply #618036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Screw you DAZZ, many people love SEABL. Just because you live in the tiny Perth bubble and have an NBL team to follow doesn't mean others who love to follow their SEABL team can't do so without some idiot like you making such a baseless and senseless statement.

Reply #618113 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

I agree with Dazz's comments about curtain raisers generally. They're not necessary, people don't have time to go out and watch two games (or don't want to).

I'm in Melbourne, and the SEABL, Big V, or equivalent league's in other state's work well as they are. Fringe NBL players can come back and strengthen these sides, so they already play their role in my opinion.

Reply #618135 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Screw you DAZZ, many people love SEABL. Just because you live in the tiny Perth bubble and have an NBL team to follow doesn't mean others who love to follow their SEABL team can't do so without some idiot like you making such a baseless and senseless statement
Ok, lets put aside for the moment the complete idiocy of calling Perth a tiny bubble, then saying you support an SEABL team because you don't have an NBL one...
What's your point? Do you have one?
I have never, ever, said anything bad about the SEABL. If you want to follow a SEABL team, for whatever reason, good on you, have fun, enjoy. I slightly follow an SBL team, and used to follow the Giants when I live in Kal and my employer was a sponsor. Nothing wrong with that.

But this thread is about the NBL, so you can take that giant chip off your shoulder.
The OP posits whether the NBL teams should align with SEABL, and suggests it would benefit the SEABL. All I'm saying is no, lets not do that.
Ironically, I actually think it would harm the SEABL. Some of the teams in the SEABL are former NBL teams who have endeavoured to retain their culture and identity. Aligning with the teams that were previously their rivals would be destructive. Plus, due to the size of the SEABL, you would still have non-aligned teams, and they would be disadvantaged.
And as I said, playing SEABL games as curtain-raisers would actually hurt the SEABL clubs.

Reply #618177 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754