Anonymous
Years ago

Breakers vs Kings 13th Jan

8th Place Breakers (8W-12L) take on 4th place Sydney Kings (11W-11L)

previous Meetings
R3-Breakers 78 to Sydney 92
R13-Sydney 85 To Breakers 80

1 more game after this one in Sydney on the 29th of January.

Topic #40659 | Report this topic

Tom  
Years ago

Breakers have edge inside with Pledge and Mitchell. They either don't get enough time or ball to dominate games though.
This could come down to the Withington/Carter, Kendle and Cadee/Dillard, will be interesting match ups but the Lisch/ Penney head to head will decide game.

We don't have anyone to stop Newley so if he is out we have some hope but both teams struggling and end up in half court sets where shooting % and big plays become the telling factors.

Sydney when pressed do not attack the basket so perhaps we can get after Cadee/Lisch full court without getting burnt. This might give us confidence to D up in the half court. This has been our biggest weakness all year.

More pressure on Sydney, but home fans will expect Breaker's to win at home.

Reply #618087 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Kings by 6.

Reply #618088 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

I think Breakers this time with Dillard.

Reply #618100 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Tom, Pledger and Mitchell are the worst two of the Breakers main rotation when it comes to +- (and Loe the best) which is probably part of the reason Henare doesn't give them more minutes.

Reply #618102 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I expect Dillard to miss one or two shots and end up with 28 points.

Reply #618126 | Report this post

Agree Angus, new imports tend to have a field day against the Kings... Breakers by 5 sadly...

Reply #618141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers 24 to 21 Kings QT

Reply #618162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like it's Carter's turn tonight, rather than Dillard.

Reply #618163 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

^ me

Reply #618165 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Kevin Lisch just does not look the same : (

Can anyone believe he just hit the SIDE of the backboard on that jump shot?!?!? WOW.

Reply #618166 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh look, there's Whittington's first and probably only post touch of the night.

Reply #618167 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I more can't believe Lisch even shot that ball, let alone at the side of the backboard. 12 seconds left on the clock, dumb play and we were lucky NZ didn't score down the other end.

Reply #618168 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

OK, so it's all 3 imports who are going to kill us tonight. Super.

Reply #618169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson, Garlepp, Cadee can't defend. Lisch looks sore. Hill and Moller still no time

Reply #618170 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Is this game being played in NZ? It's not the usual multi coloured scrappy dark and dingy floor as usual. The game looks good on TV

Reply #618171 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Moller with a pretty instant impact on that drive.

Reply #618172 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

@AKA that's because this one is at Vector Arena rather than NSEC

Reply #618173 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Why is Hill guarding super fast, no jumper Akil Mitchell tight behind the arc....

Reply #618174 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Good to see Gaze playing deeper with the bench... Kings playing with more energy!

Reply #618175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why the fuck did he take Moller off after 2 minutes

Reply #618176 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ended that quarter how we've ended most quarters the past month or so.

Reply #618178 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That should be an unsportsmanlike on Dillard.

Reply #618183 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Thanks @Luuuc. They should play here more often! It makes for much better viewing on TV.

Reply #618184 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Vector is a much larger venue than North Shore so I would imagine it costs more to play there.

Reply #618186 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Haha .. what a play by cherry picker Dillard :p

Reply #618187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What were the Kings thinking signing that #20forward? he is thrash.He is one of the worst imports i've ever seen.

Reply #618188 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think Dillard is trying a bit hard on that behind the back pass... how many is that this game, 5?

Also not sure why Jackson got a T there, Mitchell steps over the line, then gets in Jackson's face?

Reply #618189 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I hope Vector doesn't have the clunky cringe rims like NSEC.

Out of interest: what's the capacity of the two stadia and which cities are they in?

Reply #618190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North Shore Events Centre- 4,400
Vector Arena-12,000

both stadiums are in Auckland.

Reply #618191 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Let's get it to Tommy for a contested 19 footer.

Reply #618194 | Report this post

RedArmy  
Years ago

This season has been crazy. At one stage the Kings looked like hot favourites to win the title, now they are in danger of missing the playoffs. Shows how much it hurts clubs when top Australian players get long term injuries (Damo, Andersen and now Newley). I'm cheering for the Breakers in this one, which is something I rarely do!!!

Reply #618196 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

kings couldn't hit water from a boat

Reply #618197 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings looked better than they actually were due to the fact we heavily played the same teams over and over at the start of the season IMO. Then other teams started an import arms race and we got left behind.

Reply #618198 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Kings are the Collingwood of the NBL

Reply #618200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If if all commentators keep telling me that Cadee is a great player I'm going to vomit, his D is so vulnerable, and his shot is erratic

Reply #618201 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'Kings looked better than they actually were due to the fact we heavily played the same teams over and over at the start of the season IMO. Then other teams started an import arms race and we got left behind.'

I'm pretty sure Kings signed Powell THEN Blake first.

If anyone started an imports arms race it was the Kangz

Reply #618202 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Carter/Dillard look pretty solid, shame for the Breakers that they came in so late

Reply #618203 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Thing is, they were both big names, but neither of them was/is on big $$$ either.

Reply #618204 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

I like Maric as a player. I like Powell as a player. Either of them as a big man in a rotation with some athletes would be solid presences. The 2 of them as a rotation is a disaster. The Kings have no explosiveness. Time and again the other team switches/rotates/doubles off both of them. The Kings guards do a decent job of finding them naked but time and again they fumble, or are blocked (by guards FFS) or miss the chippy because they're fouled and then miss the free throws.
The Kings are cooked. The NBL is too fast for them

Reply #618205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd hardly saying signing Jackson is in the arms race, he's average at best on a good day, need more of the young guys McDW and Moller .

Reply #618206 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yep the Kings were the team that started the imports arms race when they signed two NBA veterans during the season.

Reply #618207 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

When the Kings signed Jackson after Blake they clearly showed they were not playing the import arms race... It was the Kings record that started the arms race, not Powell or Blake.

Reply #618208 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ironically, wasn't it around the time they signed Blake that things started turning around for them (in the negative direction)?

Reply #618209 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

So does the Kings loss move them down to 5th or are they okay there?

Always happy when the mother country wins!

Reply #618211 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It was, from Blake's first game we looked shaky as hell. Although going back to our hot start, it was basically our 3 point shots that were winning us games... the same shots we've been bricking for what feels like 2 months.

Reply #618212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

92-74 Breakers FT

Season series back alive now Breakers just need to win by 2 points in Sydney on the 29th to take the series.

Reply #618213 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yes when Blake joined they started to fall apart. The basketball gods said enough of this ;)

The violet crumbles have lost 5 of their last 6 games now.

Reply #618214 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Violet Crumbles = Colliwobbles

Reply #618217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Gaze is good as a coach.

Reply #618219 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Run DMC

Dillard
Mitchell
Carter

Reply #618220 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I loved NZ's imports efforts tonight.

Carter was a good find, great length, has some handles, shoots the 3 and can get to the hoop.

Mitchell rebounded well and played some D and got some dunks.

Dillard has nice handles, nice mid range j, can hit the 3 and makes his free throws. Great pick up and a real shame he wasn't with the team from the start of the season.

Hopefully NZ can build some momentum and grab some wins and get up out of the basement.

Reply #618223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happens if the kings run last, does the three coaches contract continue, I'd say most of the kings free agents will be looking else where. The use of subs which ever coach is doing it has been woeful all season. It's how you subbed in eighties.

Reply #618227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't see the game but as a long time Kings fan Gaze has to go. media person for sure but can't deliver on the court. The buck stops with him and his cohorts

Reply #618233 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Sometimes I wonder if Lisch almost has too much of a free reign.

Reply #618237 | Report this post

overloaded  
Years ago

Sack Gaze

Reply #618258 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Only one King with a positive +/-

I only watched the first half & the Kings were looking oooo k (with the exception of some soft D from the usual suspects).

What happened?!?!?!?

Reply #618315 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Easy to say in hindsight, but they sacked Bryson prematurely. He could've grown, it was his first pro gig and the team was winning while he played like crap. Yeah sure, sack him if he's crap and the team starts losing. But they ran the risk of messing with chemistry by firing the kid.

Reply #618321 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Just watched the replay, turned out as I expected. What a clustertruck of compounding errors by Gazey. No post-game press conference uploaded yet but betcha he's going to complain about shots not falling in. Kings FG% was woeful because the 'open' looks Gazey thinks his offense managed to get were poor types of open looks. Henare did very well packing the paint and challenging the Kings to beat them from mid-range out.

To make matters worse, Gaze doesn't seem to understand rotation management. Went 12 deep but was all over the place with no strategy in mind to make sure that his big guns like Lisch, Whittington, Powell have enough stamina and foul counts to close out the game hard.

Defensively, the Kings are way to soft inside. Something has changed with their players since the slump started, its matador defense now, particularly Whittington. Too many prima donnas unwilling to put their bodies on the line to get charging fouls.

Absolutely terrible, highly likely to miss the finals.

Reply #618322 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

One thing that stands out is how little he plays his bench and the large amount of minutes his starters play. No wonder they always look like they're buggered.

Reply #618323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didn't really go 12 deep, chucked the balance of the bench on in the last minute, Moller got a few minutes in the second and he and Garlepp looked good while on together. Four starters still played 35 minutes plus, agreed on the open shots, they ain't that open. Kings defence is woefull. I hope someone in the press ask about his subs, Moller the only player in the plus, was a great rip through and fouled at the hoop, made both FT. WMcW showed a bit as well. The players don't look unhappy but Gazey comes across as such a great bloke they probably don't want to upset him but they certainly got the cue in the rack. Jackson has added nothing when a guard was so needed and other clubs seem to be able find them. Another year gone. :( :(:::

Reply #618328 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Wise words @Zodiac & @SteveK2 (like always : )).

& that's a really good point @Manu!
Look at the other teams with role playing or under performing imports...

Like Illawarra & Adelaide.
1st & 2nd.

Reply #618330 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Here's a real interview for JVG: 1. How much the Kings spend this year compared to other teams? 2. Who's decision is it to get Jackson, when we needed an import PG, and other teams were able to get Ware, Cotton, Carter and Dillian? Why did this happen despite fan and expert commentary saying the contrary? Who is the person responsible for player selection? Why are we signing tired washed out Ex-league players? Why are our imports performing so poorly compared to other teams? Why are individual players going backwards on this team eg Lisch MVP last year, 1/14 this year, Garlepp MVP last year, this year hardly contributing, HIll good player last year and permanently benched this year? Why are we using the Shuffle offence when it is not working and none of the other coaches are running it? Why does gaze keep saying we're getting open shots, but these are all low % shots from outside? Why is there no inside game with high % shots?

Reply #618331 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

@Jumpshot... I'm looking for the on fire emojis to insert here, because that is ON THE MONEY!

Reply #618334 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Just watching the reply... HOW GOOD WAS THAT HUSTLE FROM FINN DELANY?!?!?!?!?

Love that guy!

Reply #618338 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Heh I think JVG will stop the interview after the second question. Ultimately, everything that went wrong can be attributed to him and his personal friendship with Gaze. For all his previous successes, this time he may have let it get in the way of his normally savvy decision-making.

What surprised me somewhat is Dean Vickerman. The supposed safety-net has failed somewhat.

Reply #618339 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Put in a good third guard and this team works.

Yes, the coaches have failed to find a way to generate pace once teams adjusted to their initial defence, but if you put Ramone Moore on the bench as their third import, as an eg, then I doubt they fall away like they have.

So whoever is making the recruiting decisions has to shoulder responsibility. Gaze was never going to be a master coach in his first season (or perhaps ever).

Reply #618352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the safety net to work you have to listen, is that happening who knows but dean certainly does not seem to get much of a say at time outs or during the game.

Reply #618356 | Report this post

whatisit  
Years ago

The Kings look too "static", too focused on set plays.

There appears to be "no freedom. no free motion type" offense where you play a read and react offense to what is there.

Players are playing "robotic" with no creativity to play what is in front you.

Reply #618358 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Kings last 6 games -

Sydney 168-422 FG, .398
Opponent 185-369 FG, .501

Reply #618363 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Lisch last 6 games 23/87 0.264
Lisch last 3 games 8/45 0.178

What's going on?

Reply #618366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings really are the Knicks of the NBL. Its great to have a high spending team in a major market fail every year.

Reply #618371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the biggest issues since day one with this team has been this ridiculous pandering to Jason Cadee and his ego. They have talked about this guy being a future Olympian, give me a freaking break. He's not even a starter level player in the NBL - a poor shooting, extreme liability on defense who gets torn apart every time he has to defend a half decent guard. Dillard embarrassed him last night and every club goes after him defensively. As a third guard off the bench he might be okay, but giving him 30 plus minutes a game is crazy. How much of this has to do with his uncle being Gaze's agent I dunno, but if the Kings are going to be successful long term they have to rid themselves of this notion that they can win a title with Cadee as a starting guard.

Reply #618390 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

^Fair call.

If you're rating all the guards in the league, Cadee would be waaaaaay down the list. He is, however, the best in the league at milking fouls... that infuriates me every game that somehow he gets those calls & every other player in the league takes the bump.

Reply #618391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon#618390
It's also surprising that kings supporters don't recognise this, as you say very hard to be totally independent when the old mates act comes into place and to be fair we are all susceptible to this. Not helping kings though.

Reply #618401 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:59 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754