Luuuc
Years ago

Wildcats vs 36ers, Jan 14

1 vs 2.
Wildcats just tweeted that "little over 100 seats were remaining" (and that's with the top section open for business too) - which is great to hear after some poor crowds in Nov-Dec.

Previously this season:
- Cats won by 3 at home
- Cats lost by 6 away
- Cats lost by 4 away
... so Perth will be aiming to win by 8 or more.
(Note to Joey - please don't punch anyone this time if that results in us taking a late FGA with a win already in the bag ;)

Loads of potential in this match. Hope it delivers.

Topic #40665 | Report this topic

leungtl  
Years ago

Great news about the crowd numbers - looking forward to giving Cotton a big welcome!

Reply #618215 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Considering the Scorchers are playing at the same time in a sell out, most of Perth must be at either of the games tomorrow night. I'll be watching the Cricket on TV and the Bball streamed to my lappy at the same time.

Can't wait :)

Reply #618218 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Cant wait. Blockbuster, can go either way still.

Too many variables.

Randle and Sobey vs Cotton and Prather but I think it will be who steps up from the benches and what kind of effect Damo has (usually positive)

Reply #618226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge to have a sell out with a sold out Scorchers game on too. This will have the best atmosphere of any game so this season.

-Top of the table clash
-14000+ fans in red who have waited over a month for a home game
-Captain Damo is back
-Cotton's home debut
-They'll both be taking on MVP favourite Randle
-The Cats recent turn around has the supporters excited

This game is going to be massive!

Reply #618228 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm guessing we'd prefer to use Martin to limit Randle, but can Cotton deal with Sobey? Big test for him.

Reply #618229 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The Perth Wildcats are thrilled to partner with The Aviary Rooftop Bar Perth as its official pre-game destination.

Situated just a 10-minute walk from Perth Arena, on the corner of William Street and the Murray Street Mall, the Aviary is the ideal place to meet with friends and grab a bite to eat before tip-off.

The Aviary will be bringing exclusive food offers to Wildcats members on select game nights for the rest of this season.

To celebrate the launch of the partnership, we're asking all Wildcats members and fans to join us in a Red Army Parade from The Aviary to Perth Arena ahead of Saturday night’s game!

The Knightcorp Dancers, Wildcats Marching Band and the Wildcats Morph Suit Men will be leading the parade, building the excitement in the lead up to the top-of-the-table clash with the Adelaide 36ers.

The march will leave The Aviary at 5.20pm - but get down there early and pick up a FREE Chilli Dog!

Reply #618231 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not sure I want to risk touching a morph man even for a free chilli dog.

Reply #618236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noticed on the FB post about it a few people have commented how they'd gone to the Aviary pre/post Wildcats games previously and told they weren't welcome there in their supporter gear/colours lol

Reply #618238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been there heaps of times after games. I don't think they have an issue with Cats tops if they are collared/polos but you won't get in with just a jersey, nor a t-shirt (doesn't have to be a Cats t-shirt) for that matter.

Reply #618239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GF prelude. This has a amazing great game written all over it. Last game in Perth JR had 40 in the 3 point loss for the 6ers.

Best two teams azbout to rumble in the jungle.

Reply #618240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc, if you remember, the morph guy we're offering their "frank n beans" the first game they appeared.

Reply #618242 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Perth by 11

Reply #618245 | Report this post

overloaded  
Years ago

Daylight to come second

Reply #618251 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh I remember, anon! What a relief it was to see the boxer shorts for game 2.

Reply #618252 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

So it's close to being a sell-out.
Can you imagine if they ALL turned up for a free Chilli-Dog?
Cats would need to open the roof at Perth Arena, otherwise those pre-game flames could trigger a CATastrophe.

Reply #618259 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'GF prelude. This has a amazing great game written all over it. Last game in Perth JR had 40 in the 3 point loss for the 6ers.'

You just reminded me of John Rillie's 40 point game in the EF at Challenge :(

Reply #618299 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He only had 34 that night, unless you're thinking of one I've never heard of.

Reply #618310 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Adelaide has to settle for a 7 pt loss.

Reply #618320 | Report this post

Cats are rarely welcome in an Aviary. Derp.

Reply #618333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read somewhere the other day the wildcats need to win by 8+ to win the season series, expecting them to give it a real crack

Reply #618335 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Should be some blue in the house with fans on the Sixer's supporters trip in town. Hoping the game doesn't get decided by the refs being fooled into calling a charge due to Matty Knight's acting ability this time.

Reply #618337 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

If the Aviary Rooftop Bar Perth is the official pre-game destination, They better let supporters in wearing Jerseys.

Reply #618340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By "JR" I meant Jerome Randle

Reply #618341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WIll the Aviary pre game be 18+?

Reply #618345 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Should be some blue in the house with fans on the Sixer's supporters trip in town. Hoping the game doesn't get decided by the refs being fooled into calling a charge due to Matty Knight's acting ability this time.
Oh FMD, 6's haven't even lost yet, and already you're blaming the Refs!?!

Reply #618347 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

IIRC, Rat10 was over here for the last 6ers game too and has a right to feel a tad pissed off about how it ended.

I too hope this one is decided by the players. A win is a win, but they're definitely more satisfying when they come without external assistance.

Reply #618353 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I think this game turns on the performances of Knight, Wagstaff and McKay,or more to the point whether the Sixers can curb their influence on the result. I don't believe Hodgy, MD, DJ or EJ are good enough (or collectively smart enough) to lock them down.

At the other end of the court? Well I can't see the Sixers uncanny big men tearing it up unless DJ goes "hey knighty, check out my 3 ball, splash, spash, splash - this is my playground baby"

I expect Creek and TK share the assignment on CP23 while Sobs and BTezy will blanket Cotton

Expect the floor wipers to regret their chilli dog binge earlier in the evening. They will be working hard tonight.

Marto, Flophage and Hitman4Hire will test the mettle of the refs and the flaming Angus to be left largely on the shelf. Kenny "I don't plumb toilets" & KDK to also get plenty of bomb dropping looks.

The "Handle" will test Marto's rehab program and Drm-dog will be giving everyone the thumbs up as he runs up and down the court.

Perth's team defense will be like "got ya back Marto, how's ya bobblehead sales going"

Love my Sixers and hoping the rat goes home happy but reckon gravity, hot weather, a crowd juiced up on voodoo dances and flag waving morphsuited exhibitionists and some guy in the front row stating the obvious, will be too much of a distraction for the boys in blue.

Perth by more than 8 and reminding the Sixers that finishing top at the end of the minor round is like winning the Loggins-Burton trophy, No one really cares.

Reply #618361 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Single seats only available for this game - this could be close to a record attendance at Perth Arena.

Reply #618402 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Jerome Randle is now a genuine attraction, when he is in town the fans come out.

Reply #618442 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

aint gonna be easy over there .... still , if randle and sobey do their average we should be ok in joeys 400th game...

Reply #618444 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

*** WANTED *** Does anyone have 2 spare tickets to tonight's Wildcats game that they want to offload??

Reply #618447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how would someone contact you if they suddenly had 2 primo seats available?

Reply #618456 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

I'm tipping 13200 what a great crowd there's also big bash just show the WA public supporter their teams well, scorchers top, cats 2nd so why wouldn't we be supporting them.

Reply #618461 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'how would someone contact you if they suddenly had 2 primo seats available?'

lol

Reply #618469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd have come early too. One of the advantages of Saturday night instead of Friday when people have to rush from work

Reply #618471 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

36ers 1995 uniforms > 36ers 2017 uniforms

Just need to bring back the Pura Milk!

Reply #618474 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

These Cats jerseys

hnnngggg

Reply #618475 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Why are the heritage jerseys always amazing and better than the normal ones?

Every team has sick ones

Reply #618476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth looks good hence 6ers better raise their game up a level.

Reply #618477 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Wroe looks like Brad Robbins

Reply #618478 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Creek looks weird with the bald head and beard

Reply #618479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good fight back by Adelaide.

Reply #618480 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Where did Creek's hair go?

Reply #618481 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Creek has a ranga beard like Baynes

Reply #618482 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Wow lookit that... end of 1st, both Randle and Sobey = big fat zulch.

Reply #618483 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Joey Wright tells the 36ers more patience on offence and Sobey just keeps putting up bombs 5 seconds in.

Reply #618484 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Randle seems a little off his game...
DJ needed to give up a hard foul there instead of letting Wags have that easy two.
#Soft

Reply #618485 | Report this post

another anon  
Years ago

Obviously it's the home cooking.

Reply #618486 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Great D intensity Cats.
This could blow out!

Reply #618487 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Make Randle sit and stew and he'll come back and kill t.. Too mnay turn overs right now... Creeky Sobey and Teys drives for fouls needed

Reply #618488 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

If Cats get top spot on the ladder, it's over.

Reply #618489 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Really hate the sideline commentary. Just call the game

Reply #618490 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Very clear Perth will not let the ball go to the basket, happy to trade fouls so push push push Sixers and foul them out

Reply #618491 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Redhage and Wagstaff have the refs buying in to their crap already..

Reply #618492 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great eye and hands from Drmic to pick that ball

Reply #618493 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Creek and to a lesser extent DJ are the only things currently keeping Adelaide from getting blown out.

Reply #618494 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Creek is very good with his off hand

Reply #618496 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

No the refs and the free throws

Reply #618497 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

cats 4 life, if Perth weren't committing fouls then Adelaide wouldn't be going to the line so much.

Reply #618498 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Damo three ball is beyond terrible now

Reply #618499 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

McKay is so much more than a garbage man now.

He's one of the Cats both on both ends

Reply #618500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton giving randle the business

Reply #618501 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Every time Sobey falls over....foul Perth

Reply #618502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth's Q2 shot selection has been terrible. Brandt mid range Js, Martin and Prather 3s, Cotton over dribbling and taking his man into the post to keep McKay company, and they totally missed Randle defending the low post. Why couldn't Prather post on Randle?

Reply #618503 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

so tell me who fouled cotten then ???? Nobody... Randle gets nothing the other end

Reply #618504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely being rewarded for flopping.

Reply #618505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand why Cotton is so passive on offence. He can score on anyone when he decides to go into attack mode.

Reply #618506 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Half time and your crying already

Reply #618507 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Any chance of luring dennis cometti to call cats games?

These two are just sub par

Reply #618508 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Steve
Today
21:55 14 Jan 17

Reply #618502
re: Wildcats vs 36ers, Jan 14

Every time Sobey falls over....foul Perth

Not quite Steve, that's not a bad rule of thumb if you are reffing - but sometimes Sobey falls over without a perth foul, but i agree with you - its a rare occurrence. perhaps Perth should not foul so much ?

Reply #618509 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Adelaide the real deal

Reply #618510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Robbins and Adam Paps just aren't up to it aha, better than John "AND HE COMES UP WITH THE FINISHING TOUCHES" Casey though

Reply #618511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs have been pretty fair tonight.

Reply #618512 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Very Old.

I don't think one team fouls more than the other. But I do think some players like Sobey, Redhage etc do fall over a lot and our refs are easily convinced.

Reply #618513 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Cotton lifting

Reply #618514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regardless of the final score times they are a changin. Perth would've put that away in no time previously. Adelaide are legit and Perth are good not great.

Reply #618515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Refs have been pretty fair tonight."

I was happy to see some no calls.

Even though Sobey was flopping, I think he probably would have got the foul anyway.

Reply #618516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

35 to 19 down during the 2nd quarter fightback to be only 3 points down at half time and Randle and Sobey have 9pts between them. Good luck perth keeping up if there get going in the 2nd half.

Reply #618517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Regardless of the final score times they are a changin. Perth would've put that away in no time previously. Adelaide are legit and Perth are good not great."

Pretty much agreed. I'm based in Perth, but prefer the way Adelaide play these days.

Still think Perth's offensive structure and decision making is frustrating at times.

Reply #618518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather seems to have chosen a bad shot a couple of times, looking for a foul.

Reply #618519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McKay's best move yet for Perth!

Reply #618520 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

McKay pre travel on the spin refs...

Reply #618521 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

With all those giant heads behind the Adelaide basket....did I see a Hillary Clinton head? Damn, that's enough to put anyone off their shot lol

Reply #618522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacobson with an obvious flop

Reply #618523 | Report this post

another anon  
Years ago

FLOP OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #618524 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Three step layup for prather.. Commentators, he gets to the basket so easy... Duh.. Of course he does.. You can't defend the extra step

Reply #618525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Flop of the year was the one that won you the game last time.

Reply #618526 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That was a good call, must have had the right ref in the right call spot. About time they called his travels.. Not the NBA or D league or Euro.. Keep the integrity of the game NBL

Reply #618527 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Bit rich Perth complaining about a big guy hitting the deck like that...

Reply #618528 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Just quietly if Jacobsen does that on Martin and costs you the game then you'll know what's really up.

Reply #618529 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Jacobson did not flop. Damo entered the cylinder of a squared up planted player and he was hit midrif and had to get the attention on the ref... Perth have the two gretest floppers in Floppage and Flopstaff so hilarious you are complaining espec when theirs aren't even clean and any reason to draw rhe refs attention, straight up flops. Give gleeson the tech... Abuse if ref

Reply #618530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is playing an amazing game.

Reply #618531 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Matty Knight is pretty good at the old flop too.

Reply #618532 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Gleeson and Perth complain complain complain to the referees all night long. Can we please start issuing technicals more stringently..i am sick of the player and coach complaint.

Would be great if we could follow Rugbh Union..so much respect. Only captain can speak. Players generally address the ref as sir etc.

Reply #618533 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Now that was a fair call Drmic should just go for the ball. Sixers fams know their stuff and happy to tale a call and hold their players accountable for stupid stuff. And more travel for Prather and wants the foul then jumps in to a cylinder from the saide on Drmic and gets the call.. That was a flop.

Reply #618534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey with some colourful language

Reply #618535 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Some interesting continuations being paid this game

Reply #618536 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

DJ. Silly stuff.

Reply #618537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton wow

Reply #618539 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Agreed Macdub. Gleeson is a dickhead at the best of times but hearing him literally paying out one of the refs he deserves to be thrown out.

Reply #618540 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wildcats shame on you being pushed and fans spouting with the talent and experience you have against this young and mostly inexperienced side. Think about that...

Reply #618541 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Crap commnwtary sideline again.. Worried about hodgson injury but no its fouls.. We know that .. We know baskwtball. Do your homework before you commnetate and talk about the wildcat player out of court passing the ball

Reply #618542 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I mean every team complains and moans i understand that. But Gleeson's complaining is unreasonable and on far too many calls.

Reply #618543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al tied up

Reply #618544 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

MACDUB Joey has been complaining all game he's just as bad

Reply #618545 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Trev and Joey both flogging it up to the max from what I can see

Reply #618546 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yep Gleeson made it personal. Joey equally vocal but makes it about the call not the person. Tech is warranted.

Reply #618547 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

seriously... WRIGHT given an official warning from the ref.. WTF... How about GLEESON as well then.. Disgraceful..

Reply #618548 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

lolrefs

Reply #618549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO, calling the travel a bit too tight now.

Reply #618550 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There's yhe dodgy ref... Its called a pivot you idiot...

Reply #618551 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

F--- me if that Sobey travel wasn't a make-up call

Reply #618552 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Wow, Joey Wright gets a warning and nothing at all for Gleeson?

Reply #618553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There's yhe dodgy ref... Its called a pivot you idiot..."

Slight shuffle on the pivot. I prefer that would be let go though. Not significant to the game at all.

Reply #618554 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

DJ stop it. Two hands you'll get picked every time... Dumb move

Reply #618555 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reply #618556 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reply #618557 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yep smile Joey. You know what to expect. Of course its ref v ref for make up calls

Reply #618558 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Here comes the shit calls

Reply #618559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What bothered me more is that there appeared to be a mis-call against Adelaide with the ball out of bounds awarded to Perth. Goes the other way, and Perth spit chips.

Reply #618560 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hodgy needs to go two hands up squared up and straight up and no help from Creek so yep, fans angry and Joey ripping in to them. Fair enough

Reply #618561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good call reversal. Doesn't happen enough.

Reply #618562 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

How has Gleeson not even got a warning yet?

Reply #618563 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Double foul deserved. Travel on Hodgy and Foul on Knight. Inly way to handle it

Reply #618564 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Gleeson yelling "ball don't lie" when Randle missed. Wow

Reply #618565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The travel was due to the contact.

Reply #618566 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

LOL Randle getting a lesson in defence from Joey.. Fair enough.. Learn on the run

Reply #618567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha Adelaide get 5 calls, Wildcats get 1 and all of a sudden it's 8 on 5. Let's just agree no one gets favoured in the NBL, the refs are just dog shit

Reply #618568 | Report this post

lol  
Years ago

refs are just shit all round, ruining the game - bad calls on both cats and 36ers
really isnt what a league on the rise needs

Reply #618569 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

12 point game.

Reply #618570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide deserve to win this, in my judgement. More consistent offensive sets.

I can't see any reliable post options for Perth, which I think really frees any defense against them.

Much prefer the balance of the 36ers.

Reply #618571 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well played Adelaide!

Reply #618572 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So Martin just sticks his knee out on Sobey and thats okay... Feel for Prather copping it instead.. Fouls shared..

Reply #618573 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

GG Adelaide, no doubts at all over your Championship qualities

Reply #618575 | Report this post

dj  
Years ago

Brandt was having a great game in the 1st half yet Gleeson benches him for the 2nd half. His subs are just stupid.

Reply #618576 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Creeky MVP for this game for sure. Brandt was a poor pick for Perth. Should have kept Jervis. Good for Adelaide though.

Reply #618577 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I wonder if now Adelaide will start to get some respect from the rest of the league?

Reply #618578 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Geezus Creek is a monster

I might have him at the 3 in the first team

Reply #618579 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Solid night for EJ.

Reply #618580 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Prather -27

Reply #618581 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Matty is getting worse with his jump shots.

Reply #618582 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

3 wins and 3 losses outright on top now.

Reply #618583 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Randles gonna get a roasting from Joey on game review. Hey Gleeson, don't give up in your team just because you think you're getting a rough deal on the calls...

Reply #618584 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Creeky is the hardest working off season player you could possibly imagine and he is helping therest of the team on and off court with their own development as well. Genuinely wants the rest of the team to have their own experience and develolment as he has. Thats a team captain we all want on our side.

Reply #618585 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Good thing about Joey is he doesn't just accept the result. If there's something that they aren't doing right, even if we're still winning, he's going to call you out on it. And the players seem to respond well to it, too.

Reply #618586 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

NBL TV stops with 4 minutes remaining...Arrrrrgghhh!!!

Reply #618587 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thinking Cotton needs Martin to be out again so he can run the team and Knight needs less minutes and just use Wagstaff.. Not a fan but that would be my best option if I was a cats fan. Just sayin

Reply #618588 | Report this post

Cats  
Years ago

Sixers too good tonight

But all up 64 free throws .. nbl need to look at these refs, no one wants to watch that!

Reply #618589 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Impressive performance by Adelaide. Legit championship favorite and fully deserving of respect from the rest of the league. Creek was outstanding but what surprised me tonight was Jacobsen. He managed to stay out of his usual foul problem and gave them a solid inside presence.

Reply #618590 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

From the 36 minutes i saw i was expecting adelaide to close it out. They are a well oiled machine and the real deal.

Cats still have more upside though only three games with the full team together so need to improve in a few areas.

Agree with above, Brandt was having an impact yet saw hardly any minutes in the second half. Wtf has happened to matty knight! Has been putting up some bricks the last few weeks

Reply #618591 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Well I'm very happy to be wrong with my prediction. The rat will be happy.

Randle and Sobey didn't need to score 40% of the points.

I'm not sure what to make of Perth after half time, they were great until then.
Still I expect they will make the finals and that's when anything can happen.

Gotta keep the lid on!

Reply #618592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every team expect 36ers has now lost between 10 to 12 games.

Perth drop to 4th with a game in Cairns on Monday.

Reply #618593 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The boys will get a huge cheer at the next home game next Thursday.

Reply #618594 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Always thought Creek had oodles of talent, MVP level talent

Reply #618595 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Creeky is awesome. He was one of the best juniors in the world about 5-6 years ago. It's taken him a while to translate his game to seniors, but he is ready to roll now. Will surely be in the Boomers team for Asian qualifiers?

If you look at Adelaide's numbers, Randle, Johnson, Sobey and Creek are regularly combining for around 70 points, very tough to stop four quality options like that.

Super game until the last couple of minutes, intensity was huge. Hope these teams meet in the playoffs.

Reply #618597 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Only watched the second half but very impressive win by the Sixers. The intensity and effort the team was playing with in that last quarter in particular has to make all 36ers fans very proud of their team.

It's a good feeling knowing Rat10 and those other Sixers fans at the game will be going home very happy tonight!

Reply #618599 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Interesting to see Joey went playoff mode tonight. The three worst +- guys, Ferguson, Hodgson and Teys only played 24 mins between them, while Randle, Johnson, Sobey and Creek all played 32+.

Reply #618600 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That is the three worst +- over the season.

Reply #618601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

intensity, grit, etc. = UGLY game. but a top win don't get me wrong. just not a great spectacle with so much stop start.

Reply #618602 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Think it will be 2 of Melb, Perf and Adelaide in the GF

Reply #618603 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Entertaining game.
It was always going to be a battle between one of the best offensive teams, and one of the best defensive teams. Whilst I usually stick to the adage that "defence wins championships," tonight it was offence that triumphed.As was said before the game, it would come down to whose tempo it was played at. Cats looked to have their defensive mojo on early, but then it deserted them, and the game was played at Adelaide's pace for most of the night. Lets face it, the Cats aren't going to win many games where the opposition scores 95 points.

Gott tip my hat to Johnson, the guy was a trojan, played the whole game. I saw early that Joey wasn't subbing him, and hoped we'd be able to wear him down, but it didn't happen.

Reply #618604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats played terrible and deserved to lose. So given nbl history the favourites for the championship are now nz.

Everyone get on board the breakers

Reply #618605 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

DJ played 39:57. Wow, a whole 3 seconds off the court lol.

Reply #618606 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Geez, this thread is about 90% refs complaints. Is that all we've got to talk about these days? (with that said i'm going to mention them anyway without regret)

36ers are legit. Anytime you beat Perth in Perth, that's bonus points.

Now this game had an awesome atmosphere. Absolute credit to the Wildcats management and Perth people, it was sensational stuff. Great crowd and the way they inspire, it's like the 36ers crowd but bigger. Love it.

Adelaide played a bit out of sorts in the first half. Defence was suspect but mostly it was about their inability to create space or take settled shots. Part of that is Perth's intensity - they're an awesome team in defence especially Martin, the other part is the darker side of things: handchecking, grabbing and pulling which Perth appears to do at will (at home) making creating space very tough. But it hasn't been called by refs in years, so you can't go expecting it to be called - you get on with the game and find ways to get scores and stops.

Ultimately, the 36ers did find ways. They rebounded well, they were resilient and we saw some nice aggressive driving by Johnson and Creek.

Jacobsen you've made me eat my words this game - very serviceable, in fact along with Creek and Johnson, a very influential factor in the 36ers holding steady and then taking the fight to Perth. Of course, that flop was cheeky. It wasn't blatantly bad, but a tad unrealistic for Martin to have caused that.

Ferguson still doesn't know how to defend and is racking up fouls because of it. It's understandable, the kid is learning and he's not physically strong yet. Joey will need to find a way to make sure he (and Randle actually...) aren't liabilities in defence.

Good to see Americans are willing to talk BS as much as Australians do. McKay blatantly pushing the 36er player under the basket and then cracking a little tantrum telling the refs to look at the screen replay was a classic.

I feel bad for the refs having to deal with both Wright and Gleeson. Wright will ride you like Goorj would, it's aggressive and exhausting for refs albeit within the realms of reasonable behaviour and they'll cop the "reigning in" techs when they get them. You know they get good value for their techs.

Gleeson though, he was acting like a complete lunatic and the personal comments over the microphone they might not have "crossed the line" into fining territory but it's just not necessary. Just generally the way he was acting, how he didn't receive about 5 tech fouls is anyone's guess.

Good fight by Perth, good resilience by Adelaide and a sensational atmosphere.

For those Perth fans who don't understand why maybe your team isn't all that popular with other fans? Think about how Drmic irritates you. Now imagine a team full of Drmics. This is Perth.

Reply #618607 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I felt that DJ was the key to this game and he toughed it out really well, especially with the added burden of Hodgson's foul problems. Perth completely failed to get the inside-outside game going in the half court and DJ was key in that, while also more than keeping us honest at the other end.
Great team effort by the 6ers.
Perth have got some real work to do. We've got the cattle, but we've got to make much better use of them.

Reply #618608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide deserved to win after playing consistently good all game. Wildcats showed they can be brilliant, but they had a few chances to put the 36ers away and played terribly for a lot of the game.

With about 5min to go though when the game was tied, I sat there and thought no matter the result from here the refs imo have absolutely ruined what could have been a great game of basketball.

Not blaming the loss on the refs because we played terribly for a large chunk of the game, but it does ruin the whole experience of watching a game of basketball when so many calls are that bad. Its been an issue across almost every game this season, even when just watching a game as a neutral. Bad calls are a part of the game and will always happen, the odd bad call each game i can live with as a spectator. Its just the amount of bad calls and the amount of complete shockers each game that are ruining it.

The NBL is on the rise but I think this is one of their biggest issues atm. I wonder how many casual average fans lose interest in the league after watching a game or two and being fed up with the officiating.

Reply #618609 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The 36ers heritage singlets are better for a key reason: they don't have those bloody ugly fonts used for the numbers. The numbers look horrendous on the current singlets, let's switch the number style to the heritage ones. In fact, go with the yellow outline as well and the blue shade used for the singlets.

Then all they'll have to do is eventually realise their logo is awful and revert it back to the previous one.

Reply #618611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

27 point choke by the Cats. Fantastic.

Reply #618612 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, some stupid calls, but not a big effect on the game. We lost by 11 points, a couple of calls here or there don't make that much difference. Some of the guys just need to play smarter.
We need guys like Redhage, Hire, DKD, and Brandt to get tougher on D and let them cop the fouls. I have to wonder if it is now a deliberate (and smart) tactic from some teams to just keep going at Prather till he gets into foul trouble.

Reply #618614 | Report this post

RedArmy  
Years ago

Well done Adelaide, came back strong from 16 points down during the second quarter and totally outplayed the home team in the 4th. Deserved favourites to win the championship. Unfortunately most of the damage was done when Damo was off the court with 4 fouls.
I wasn't too stressed about the Cats game tonight. Matty Knight is out of form and Gleeson's subs still concern me, but I think this team can still go far if they make the top four.
On a seperate issue, I am so tired of going to matches and seeing them be ruined by incapable referees. So many bad calls and over-officiating. No wonder so many people prefer to watch NBA, the refs have control in those games. I just wonder when the league is going to address the issue and what training can be given to our refs to improve the quality of the game. Now that the league has so many good players it would be nice to have some decent refs.

Reply #618615 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It was a very impressive win and DJ and Creek both stepped up in a big way and thought Jacobsen played his role well and kept his head. A very good win despite Sobey having a poor one and Randle average really.

Does anyone know why Deng didn't play?

Reply #618616 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Well done to the 36ers, they just outclassed Perth in the last quarter. 36ers are definitely the team to beat this year and you can only admire what Joey has done with a team many write off at the start of the season. Perth showing signs of a top 4 team but still a lot of work to go to.

Brandt did well tonight, would of liked to see him in the 4th a bit more. Perths archilles at the moment is their outside shooting. 36ers were able to collapse the defence inside as Perth just don't have the weapons outside to demand attention - DKD needs to be used more.

I really hope these 2 teams meet up in the finals.

I've got my sulky hat on now , time to drown my sorrows.

Reply #618617 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I may have to eat my words (again) and finally admit Adelaide are legit.

Randle, Sobey, DJ and Creek is a group to be reckoned with.

Then again Ware and Goulding are playing at a serious level right now. Possibly the best two scorers any Melbourne NBL team has had on court together since Drewy hurt his leg in... 2001/02 from memory and Copes had his last great season.

Will be great playoff series.

Reply #618619 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I hope you're not putting on too much weight LV? ;-) I've been eating my words for years, it can be very filling!

Reply #618621 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

To be fair, the game needed to be interfered with because nobody wants to watch games descend into overly physical wrestle matches where everyone is handchecking grabbing and sneaking in cheeky shoves. If the refs let players get away with it then they'll keep doing it.

Perth will do as much as it can possibly get away with, which is fine it's one way to play. But don't then complain there's interference. Because your team could just stop defending like that if you don't want interference. I think if Perth had a bit of it's own medicine fans would be extremely pissed off at the treatment.

There was a complaint about free-throws 36ers were getting....three times in a row perth clearly fouled players under the basket to stop the easy 2 points - it's called smart fouling and not a bad tactic but you can't complain that Adelaide are getting free-throws. You have to choose, foul and give up free-throws or don't foul and give up am easy 2pts.

There were multiple instances where the refs gave perth the ball even though it was out off of them and then the one they got right when wagstaff touched it out, Gleeson starts abusing the refs and is in total disbelief.

On the one hand I agree the nbl needs to work on it's approach to refs and rules as ive said in the past, on the other hand, Perth makes reffing incredibly hard.

It's not a dislike for Perth thing, i like perth and the rivalry. But it doesn't change the fact Perth get away with as much as they can and it causes problems and when refs are forced to intefere, perth fans complain at interference.

Reply #618623 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@LV - it's going to be an interesting final series. I'm not sure how this all going to play out. I think United, Perth, 36ers and Hawks will make up the 4 and any of those teams are capable of winning the title. Only one thing is certain, we are in for one hell of a final series.

Reply #618624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel for the players. We as viewers complain about the refs but you can see the frustration clearly in the players with the rubbish these refs are calling. They are undoing all LK's hard work by turning it into an unwatchable product. Even as a cats fan I had to laugh at some of the calls against Adelaide tonight, but the Wildcats got their fair share too.

Reply #618625 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I actually thought the refs called it consistently tight from start to finish tonight. Perth in particular didn't do a great job of adjusting.

All clubs have known the game is being called tighter for quite a while now but Perth continue to push the limits. They need to get smarter or it could cost them in a key game as it did tonight.

They showed in 2014 they can defend very well without being overly physical, no reason they can't do it again.

Reply #618626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I feel for the players. We as viewers complain about the refs but you can see the frustration clearly in the players with the rubbish these refs are calling."

One i noticed in particular tonight was Martin. Normally one of the most calm and nice guys on the court, goes with what the ref says, even pulls his team mates away from arguments and keeps them focused on the game. He looked very frustrated at times tonight with some calls, which says a lot given how he usually acts.

Reply #618627 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Paul - agreed. There was a howler or 2 but Perth were beneficary of one of those last time they met in Perth. 36ers ability to attack and penetrate was a big factor in a lot of the fouls called against Perth.

Reply #618628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which one did the refs get right "where Wagstaff touched it?" The one that came off Sobey's hands right on front of Gleeson?

KET, really great you enjoyed the game but your summary of the night is pretty poor. The refs didn't intervene cos the Cats were physical (or have been in the past) - the refs just had an absolute howler. The DJ USF for example. There was no need for an USF, it was just a really bad call.

Tonight's game was certainly not a case of the refs wanting to clean things up. It was just poor decisions and inconsistent from one quarter to the next, and from one end of the floor to the next. You got a great win by outplaying and out rebounding the Cats, but I think pretending the Cats had themselves to blame for a record numbers of fouls called against them is a step too far.

Reply #618629 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reffing did not cost the Wildcats the game tonight. It just cost all fans around the country a better spectacle.
I don't mind them calling a tight game, either, as long as that is the standard consistently. The players will adjust if given a fair chance to do so, and it will result in a cleaner game. But some calls tonight weren't tight, or biased, they were just plain bad.

Reply #618630 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yep, feeling quite bloated over here :-)

Reply #618632 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I've been eating my words and drinking my beers and got it all wrong. Adelaide for 1st and Sydney to miss the 4....SAY WHAT!!!!!!

Reply #618633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on. I was the anon above and am certainly not blaming the refs for anything except making the game boring and draining the energy from the building.

Reply #618634 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Hmmmmm there is a LOT of butthurt going on over on the Wildcats Facebook pace hehehe. Not surprisingly its all directed at the refs. And while I totally agree that the refs are dead set crap, the fact is that Adelaide out played Perth over the last 2 1/2 periods tonight. You don't win games grabbing 39 rebounds to the oppositions 48, not against a team like Adelaide in their current form with at least 4 players who are a genuine offensive threats.

Look, Adelaide may have gone to the line 39 times compared to 25 for Perth, which is a lot, but the fouls themselves were only 29-24. Its where and when the foul is being committed that sends someone to the line. If you foul in the act of shooting or when the bonus is in effect while the other team is fouling when no shot is taken, of course one team is likely to have more foul shots.

Reply #618636 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Oh, and have to say well done to the Perth fans tonight. A new Wildcats record attendance of 13,611 beating the old record of 13,559 set in the corresponding round of the 2014-15 season when, ironically Adelaide beat Perth 106-102.

Reply #618637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Dazz as good for you as it was for me. Bow down to the new nbl standard.

Reply #618638 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Perfect post KET and Paul.

In the first 7 minutes of the last quarter Perth shot 1-11 from the field! They ended the quarter with 4-17 from the field. That is the main reason Perth lost the game in the 4th, nothing to do with the refs.

"you can see the frustration clearly in the players with the rubbish these refs are calling." What magical season did players not complain about calls?

"They are undoing all LK's hard work by turning it into an unwatchable product.", "game boring and draining the energy from the building.", "It just cost all fans around the country a better spectacle." A bit dramatical much? It has been one of the most entertaining seasons ever including this game. If you don't like watching teams shoot foul shots than stop fouling so much! Perth fans tonight acting like they are getting a bad deal because Gleeson is acting like a muppet. Perfect example is 5:56 to go in the 4th, an obvious foul by Cotton and Gleeson and the crowd complain about the call.

"the refs just had an absolute howler" Dramatical much? It was a normal game where the refs got a few calls wrong.

"The DJ USF for example" The refs have been calling that an USF all season. "inconsistent from one quarter to the next" So you want them to be inconsistent on the USF but then calling for them to be consistent? Make up your mind.

Reply #618639 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Great post also HoldenV8. They complain about the disparity of foul shots but not one even mentioned a time that the Wildcats should of had foul shots or a time when the Sixers shouldn't have had a foul shot. It seems like its more important to turn a blind eye to what happened in the game and focus on a statistic to make them feel better about the loss. It wouldn't matter if Sixers had 80 more foul shots if they were the correct calls.

Reply #618640 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Um, if you want to bitch and moan about facebook, I suggest you do it on facebook. Using it as an excuse to take pot-shots at Perth, just makes you look simple-minded.

Perth just weren't consistent in their D, they allowed may too many easy transitions for Adelaide, and/or let Adelaide right inside then desperation fouled in the lack of shooting.

Perth have a really annoying tactic of attacking the basket looking for a foul call, and often barely bothering with a shot. My philosophy on that has always been that you make certain of the 2 points first, then look for the bonus. Often it works for the Cats, tonight it didn't.

So of the calls were unbelievable, and yeah on balance Perth probably copped the worst of it, but it didn't effect the result.
Sloppy D, careless fouls, and shit shooting were the culprits.

McKay is generally much better, Prather just has to get smarter, and not constantly get into foul-trouble. Trev insists on upsetting his own apple-cart by benching players when they're hot, because they give away a foul.

Generally when Trev goes to the end of his bench, and has Hire and Redhage out there, they crank up the D to stop the opposition getting a run on. That didn't happen tonight.

Now having criticised Trev, I do have to wonder if Joey's boys can keep up this pace? Won't do him any good finishing 1st if his players are flogged.

Reply #618641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game, best side won, players make bad decisions so do the refs some times, Adelaide the real deal, who would've thought. Nbl is a great product.

Reply #618644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Dazz, shutuppppp! It's done champ, your season is slippping you're boys look vulnerable and no one fears the cats anymore. The rest is all white noise.

Reply #618645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only flogging here is the cats title chances you idiot. Perth died big time in that game a must win for them, admit it the 36ers are simply the very best team in the comp and now need to consider clear title favourites. Hope Perth don't make the playoffs. Look forward to all the Perth threads in next day or so.

Reply #618646 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Fantastic effort Adelaide. True Comp leaders performance. Weathered the early storm, then held your own and grabbed the initiative at the right time. Perth had to play catch up.
Creek and Jacobsen huge off the bench. Randle was Randle. I thought Sobey was smart. Did not try too hard and let ops come to him. Johnson unorthodox but consistent for 15-20 a night.
MacKay, Martin, Wagstaff best for Perth. Knight had a mare. Cotton under pressure for first time.
What was with the Perth floor? Players seemed to be slipping. That was the only down side to a titanic match up.

Reply #618647 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"It was a normal game where the refs got a few calls wrong."

That's what I thought too Brunson. Watching on TV with the benefit of replay, rewind, pause etc I didn't think there was a particularly large number of incorrect calls.

I also thought it was a highly-entertaining game until the final minutes when Adelaide blew it out, there were so many good plays made by both teams. I hope they meet again in Feb or March, Perth will be better by then.

Reply #618648 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Which one did the refs get right "where Wagstaff touched it?" The one that came off Sobey's hands right on front of Gleeson?
I didn't think it could be done, but that finally succeeded in overtaking the Corban Wroe backcourt violation from the last time Adelaide played in Perth as the worst call of the season. Pretty sure both were the same ref, too.

Reply #618649 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"6's haven't even lost yet, and already you're blaming the Refs!?!"

Reply #618658 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Koberule - The Wagstaff/Sobey out of bounds call was very inconclusive on reply. It definately went off Wagstaff, with a change of direction. It was very hard, even with the benefit of slow mo to see it coming off Sobey. To call a decision that on reply would be too tough to overrule "the worst decision of the year" is total hyperbole and a credibility buster. Maybe it did touch Sobey, but even on reply it would be total guesswork to say it did.

I thought the refs did okay under the circumstances. Try reffing a team at your local social league who are big, physical, foul as much as possible and when you finally blow your whistle they tell you that you're an awful ref. Then on the other end of the court everytime they miss a shot the coach gets in your face. Then add 13,500 people agreeing with that team. Then have the other 7 teams in your competition telling you in between games not to fall for these guys mind games. That's reffing in the NBL.

If Perth want less fouls called, stop fouling so much. I would rather see the fouls called in a 95 to 85 result than a 66 to 56 stinker we have seen in the past.

And Perth fans, if you still wonder why so many people hate Perth, how about you stop whinging when refs do what they are paid to do and that is ref the game.

Reply #618662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So all in all, the only reason Perth got called for 29 fouls is because they fouled 29 times. Great responses, guys!

Reply #618663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha for fucks sake, all season there have been complaints about reffing. It's the subject of almost every post game discussion, and Boti bangs on about it every damn week. But when Perth fans do it, it's just OMG Perth fans shut up, no wonder we don't like you, and people start making excuses for the refs!

Reply #618664 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Thanks anon, your words of course but it was a great response! Glad you recognise my genius.

Reply #618665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wagstaff/Sobey call was conclusive in realtime and on the replAy. Just all three refs missed it, while Gleeson didn't. Obviously if the same thing had happened down the other end, Joey would have smirked and shrugged his shoulder before starting a polite post on social media about how tough the refs have it and we can't complain over small calls going against us...

Reply #618667 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agree Paul - also you have a tendency of wording points i'm trying to convey in about a third of the length.

--

Anon #618629, Johnson didn't play for the ball so it's pretty reasonable to constitute it as an USF.

Johnson's was just an odd one because of where the foul was and what it looked like. But it was the right call - I just don't think any of us expected it to be called.

--

Agreed Double Clutch.

Watching live it appeared off Wagstaff, and the slow motion replay backed that up to a certain degree.

No doubt there was an inconclusive aspect to it, but unlikely Sobey touched it from the vision available on Fox.

Gleeson is Gleeson, I don't think I need to expand on that.

Kobe, best you probably avoid being a ref.

--

Dazz, cool your heals - Perth v the World is so boring. People don't carry the anti-Perth mentality that you think they do. And any game your team loses, I suspect 'on the balance' you'll feel screwed by the refs.
Welcome to being every fan to ever exist.

--

Oh, and have to say well done to the Perth fans tonight. A new Wildcats record attendance of 13,611 beating the old record of 13,559 set in the corresponding round of the 2014-15 season when, ironically Adelaide beat Perth 106-102.

Absolutely fantastic! I think we're close to seeing Perth/Melb/Sydney averaging 10k crowds over the course of a season - maybe not next year but in the not too distant future. If NZ can eventually get themselves filling Vector Arena each game instead of North Shore, then the NBL is well and truly rocking and rolling.

I do wonder how the 36ers would go if Memorial Drive was upgraded to a 10,000 seat indoor multi-purpose stadium.

In the city, better crowds, increased game experience, more sponsorship money - more sustainable club? It worked for Adelaide Oval and Perth Arena....

One can dream.

Reply #618668 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Heels*

Reply #618669 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haha KET! Writing for AAP has a way of making you write succinctly, they don't tolerate much wasted wordage!

Reply #618670 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That's an incredible crowd at Perth Arena when you consider that the Scorchers played at the WACA and broke the record there as well, with over 21k in attendance

Reply #618674 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Watching live it appeared off Wagstaff, and the slow motion replay backed that up to a certain degree.

No doubt there was an inconclusive aspect to it, but unlikely Sobey touched it from the vision available on Fox.
Have you had your eyesight tested lately?

Reply #618675 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Kobe, when most including commentators see it one way and you see it the other way, your automatic instinct should be to question your own sanity - not others.

I don't think basketball is really your game mate, maybe try a different sport.

Reply #618676 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

You should leave out Sydney from averaging 10k crowds in near future KET. United should have little problem though, especially if they can retain Ware and Goulding. The way these two play give Melbourne fans something to get excited about even if they lose close games.

Qudos has the potential to hold 20k but Sydney struggles to break 8k with the upper sections sealed off to make the arena looks full. Judging from the angry fans on social media, I reckon that 8k will shrink further unless they miraculously turn around their season.

Reply #618677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET, you probably want to read Double Clutch's post where he doesn't hide there is a Perth vs the World mentality, and he is Team World.

Re: JOhnson's USF. He made no play at the ball and briefly wrapped up Brandt, but it was minimal contact and Brandt easily made the bucket. I dont think it was USF and it was consistent with last night where the refs erred on the side of blowing the whistle at all costs. Like any time Sobey drove to the basket and threw himself backwards, and the ball at the shot clock.

That's what ruined the game. It wasn't a physical game at all, the refs were just whistle happy.

Reply #618678 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm hoping Sydney move to the International Convention Centre as it's a great city location making it easy access for people and a real opportunity for corporate catering - plus its capacity of 8,000 is reasonable.

It's also managed by AEG Ogden.

Reply #618679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET, the replay was clear as day. The ball hit Sobey's fingers and the flight of the ball changed when it did. There was nothing inconclusive about it.

Reply #618680 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I can see that if the coach remains for next season , and if both Cotton and Prather get resigned, that Martin and Knight could both be surplus to trev's starting 5 requirements, with a view to it being their last season. .

I'm not saying it would be a good decision, just one that I can see trev doing .

I don't understand why Brant was stuck on the bench for the 2nd half, did he get an injury ?.

Reply #618682 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's a little sensitive anon... I think Perth just has a heavy dose of the parochial mentality. In Adelaide we do the the same.

It's important to understand - just because Perth people build it up, or for that matter Adelaide people build it up, doesn't mean the others actually care. Melbourne for instance - couldn't care less that Adelaide feels we have a rivalry with them!

I agree that if no USF was called I doubt you'd hear much complaint, but it was a consistent and legitimate call which I couldn't complain about as an Adelaide fan.

Obviously we disagree about the physical aspect - the first few quarters I think the handchecking and grabbing by Perth players is a hindrance to an entertaining game of basketball, but we're just so used to it in Perth that we accept it as the norm.

Sobey is a small thin guard using speed to the basket and not well balanced, he's going to end up all over the place. If you're annoyed by that, fine, fair enough. But how do you reconcile Knight flailing around just as badly while being a solid big? Is it okay because he's from Perth?

Reply #618683 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

As a reasonable minded person, I don't hold the views of people such as anon #618678 to be consistent across all of Perth's fanbase.

They have the most fans, so of course they are going to have a higher number of delusional, paranoid, conspiracy theory wack-jobs. Must say I look forward to the next Wikileak dump that includes the cables of the "World against Perth" conspiracy.

Reply #618684 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

KET - Putting aside my antagonistic tone for one post you are spot on. There is no Perth against the world mentality. There is a very successful franchise that is the envy of the league which also happens to play a very physical style of basketball.

As a neutral to a lot of their games it's better to see more fouls called, so Perth adjusts and plays a more exciting style. They did in 2014 and it worked well for them as Paul often states.

I can understand the isolation creating a "we versus them" vibe, but east of the border no one cares.

Reply #618686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What you should be asking KET, is because we've never heard the end of the Knight flop/charge call from the last game at the Arena, why are you ok with Sobey throwing himself to the ground? I've never justified Knight flopping (although I don't buy the "he's too big to get knocked over" argument) but the reason players flop is because it gets rewarded. Sobey worked it to his advantage last night but the refs should have been better. That's my point. They saw a guy "off balance" (never mind it was all his own doing) and they rewarded it.

Meanwhile Prather drives hard to the hoop and because he doesn't throw himself to the ground, he doesn't get the same calls. It's not a Perth vs Adelaide thing, it's not about any one team or player. It's about the refs calling fouls because of illegal and obvious contact, not because of how a fouled player reacts, and I think last night the refs got it wrong on that a number of times.

Reply #618687 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

#618680: The angle on TV you wouldn't be able to conclude Sobey touched it. Visually you can't see the ball touch his fingers. You're forced to make assumptions which also needs to take into account parallax error. Therefore, inconclusive.

Sobey looked guilty in the way he reacted and the position - but from the TV angle, not from the ref angle where Wagstaff would look the culprit.

Plus why is this even important to dwell on? Are we going to dwell on the two conclusive stuffups by refs when Perth got the ball despite touching it out in the first half? Or is that swept under the carpet because Adelaide fans aren't the ones complaining today?

Reply #618688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because you were the one who used it as an example of the refs getting something right yet Gleeson still complaining. Happy to acknowledge plenty of calls get missed all game but that was a really piss poor example for whatever point you were trying to make.

Reply #618689 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What you should be asking KET, is because we've never heard the end of the Knight flop/charge call from the last game at the Arena, why are you ok with Sobey throwing himself to the ground?

Legitimate question

You need to consider that someone like Sobey, a small guard driving against bigger bodies with his speed and off balance isn't just flailing around all day every day.

I don't think people understand when you get yourself in acrobatic positions and you get nudged even the slightest you'll fall to the ground.

What do you want him to do? Somehow keep his feet? You try doing that. Very tough. Would you prefer he change his style? I certainly wouldn't - his athleticism and acrobatic agility is great for Adelaide.

A guard falling over and extenuating the contact doesn't mean they're doing it to the same extent from a theatrical aspect as other players like big men. It just looks more theatrical and extenuated.

I'm not going to say he doesn't make the contact look greater than it is - every player does that - I just don't think he does it greater than the average player. It just looks like it because of his style of play.

Reply #618691 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

piss poor example for whatever point you were trying to make.

Piss poor in a rose tinted world***

Reply #618692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it's a rose-tinted world to say that Gleeson was entirely justified to complain about a call which the refs got completely wrong, right in front of him? And you also want to bring that play in to it to make a point, but then when it's shown to you that you were wrong, you complain that people are actually talking about it? You are the one that has an issue with objectivity.

You bitch and moan about Perth people having an "us vs them" attitude but you've just demonstrated how willing you are to shift the goalposts depending on who is being discussed. Not even going to bother with your Sobey crap. Hopefully when you get used to winning a bit more you learn how to do it graciously

Reply #618693 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You're working under an incorrect assumption that Gleeson was right.

Hopefully you'll play the game of basketball and as a guard before you complain about how players play next time.

It's amazing what perspective can do.

Enough with fighting with brash oneeyed anons, it's not worth it.

Reply #618695 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

If we want to get technical (no future pun intended) Wagstaff could have easily been called for a tech foul for pushing Sobey not once but twice after that call was made. That call has been quite consistent this season unfortunately we can't expect it to be called in Perth.... End of the day Perth got the ball straight back.

Reply #618697 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

People are going on about it because instead of it being Perth's ball Marto ended up getting his 4th foul and sobey was called for a travel as a make up call.

Reply #618699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are going about because KET raised it as an example of something. If you disagree with him, you're just one-eyed.

Reply #618701 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Seemed like the first few minutes of the 4th was just make up call after make up call. It was getting ridiculous and was frustrating to watch.

But really, what a wanker Gleeson is. Should have been kicked out the way he has carrying on. Pure petulance.

Reply #618702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Joey and Gleeson bitch and moan 24-7. Both are annoying as hell.

Reply #618704 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That ball deflection of Sobey was obvious from the area I was sitting. I was stunned that the refs missed it, but then I was looking at the action and I don't know what angles/obstructions the refs had on that one. From memory the replay that they put on the big screen then made it obvious to the whole stadium that it was a blunder.

Unfortunately what then happens is the crowd will start booing every call that goes against us even when it's a clearly a correct one. Which is cringeworthy in one respect, but it also does put extra pressure on the refs and I've got no doubt that it increases the likelihood of a make-up call (something that is inherently bad for the game, but of course plenty of fans are happy to get a freebie even if it's not deserved)

Surely we can continue to discuss questionable calls though without it turning into accusations of blaming the refs for the loss, because I don't think anyone here has been doing that. If they have, they're clueless IMO because we were beaten fair and square.

I haven't watched the telecast yet but I'll be looking out for some of those and-1 continuations that were paid, because it seems to me like the bar has been lowered league-wide on that one in favour of the offence.

Reply #618706 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

And yes, Gleeson acts like a tosser on the sidelines but I've been saying that for a decade so it just seems redundant to keep repeating.

Reply #618707 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Anon #693

Hopefully when you get used to losing you can do it gracefully.

Wonder why we all can't stand Perth.

We're you the guy in the front row with his jersey tucked into jeans?

Reply #618708 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

Come one guys both Gleeson and Wright complain alot to the refs but its only gleeson who seems to cop it, Wright was at it all game.

Another question, how long can Adelaide sustain this run, have they timed their run too early, look at last year, NZ 3 games before playoffs were no chance, they snuck in and made GF, I think if Perth finish 4 and adelaide 1st, would be a great series.

Reply #618709 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

The ball deflected off Wagstaff, but off Sobey is inconclusive. Watched the replay over and over. Might have touched it but just guessing, is inconclusive. Someone on the mic saying "it touched his shoulder" but not sure about that. Fouls and refs calls had nothing to do with this game. Perth got out by 16 and the Sixers totally overwhelmed them. A 32 point turnaround at one stage with Sixers being 16 up. Scores were level 3 qtr time and with 5 min to go was only a point in it. Then the gates opened with 3pts to Randle and Sobey, Perth missed all their attempts and Creek chimed in. Jacobsen hit all his free throws. Sixers offense was too slick with the movement, Drmic makes some great cuts opening up space for ball handler which goes unnoticed. Jacobsen screens giving space is hugely important. Much prefer the ball in Sobeys hand at the clutch with Randle at shooting guard.
Amazing, Gleeson disagrees with refs and calls for flop on Jacobsen and then cheers the refs for calling charge on Prather. Talk about double standards.

Reply #618710 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

There's one big difference between the complaining done by Wright and Gleeson.

Wright complains about calls or no-calls.

Gleeson makes personal attacks and says things like "that's disgraceful" or "who is this guy?"

Yet it was Wright getting an official warning. That's quite odd.

Reply #618712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saying "thats disgraceful" is a personal attack?

Gleeson got a warning much earlier than Wright.

Reply #618713 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Come one guys both Gleeson and Wright complain alot to the refs but its only gleeson who seems to cop it, Wright was at it all game.
Joey rides the refs hard yes but Gleeson whinges incessantly and carries on like a fucking idiot he should've been thrown out for yelling out something like "This guy is unbelievable, who is this guy? Who is this guy?" at one of the refs.

Gleeson was also yelling out "ball don't lie" a few times after Randle missed a free throw on a call he didn't like.

The guy needs to be told by the league his behaviour isn't on.

Reply #618714 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Whoops try again.

Joey rides the refs hard yes but Gleeson whinges incessantly and carries on like a fucking idiot he should've been thrown out for yelling out something like "This guy is unbelievable, who is this guy? Who is this guy?" at one of the refs.

Gleeson was also yelling out "ball don't lie" a few times after Randle missed a free throw on a call he didn't like.

The guy needs to be told by the league his behaviour isn't on.

Reply #618715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i don't really see how anyone can defend any aspect of the reffing performance last night and say the dissatisfaction from Perth fans is just them whinging and complaining. You'd have to be very anti Perth to not admit Perth were on the wrong end of some real howlers (they got lucky with some too, bad calls went both ways but a few of the really bad howlers seemed to be against Perth). If it was your team, I'm sure you'd feel the same.

Adelaide were definitely the better more consistent team and deserved to win it after the garbage the Cats put up. I don't think the refs necessarily influenced the result, but then again we'll never know. Sobey was scoreless until a few flops got him a handful of free throws and got him going, a few Cats got in foul trouble, a few possessions that should have gone to Perth and could have resulted in points didn't, Perth were clearly frustrated, lost momentum at times while Adelaide gained some. But then considering how shit Perth played at times, it probably didn't change too much.

At the end of the day I'm not complaining about the final result, the Cats played shit and didn't deserve to win. I can handle seeing a sporting team I support lose and leave the game disappointed in my team, but what I absolutely hate is when I leave disappointed in the game I saw. I watch a game hoping to see a great game of basketball and then secondly hope my team might win. Last night they didn't win which I can handle, but I left feeling like I was robbed of seeing a great game of basketball. The vibe in the stadium wasn't that of a crowd disappointed in their team losing, it was a vibe of a crowd wanting to see some good basketball and being fed up with the officiating. The refs sucked a lot of the life out of the stadium.

This was a big showcase for the NBL. Top of the table clash with 14k people attending, and I'm sure many more online and on TV keen to see a great game. Unfortunately I feel we all didn't all get the game we deserved as basketball fans.

Well done to 36ers on winning this one, hoping these two great teams meet again in the play-offs for some great games... hopefully with some better officiating lol.

Reply #618716 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

We may well have timed our run too early. But runs don't usually go for 13 games like this (12 wins and that aberration game against Melbourne).
Other teams are chasing us pretty hard, making roster moves to try catch us. Hopefully that won't happen, but it very well could.
Perth have enough time to get Knight and Martin back to 100% and get Cotton completely up to speed. If that happens, they could easily win it all. Melbourne also have a new import as well as Goulding, Ware, Blanchfield and Boone who can all do damage. Assuming those 3 teams (and Illawarra) make the Playoffs, each team has a group of players that can dominate a game if they're allowed to play on their terms. Depends on who manages to do it at the right time.
Playoffs are going to be fun this year.

Reply #618717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think there is any such thing as timing your run early. Finishing first and getting home court advantage is massive and it's not like Adelaide should be dropping a few games just to appear like they aren't ready to peak.

Reply #618719 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I thought Kickert timed our run perfectly ;)

Reply #618720 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's all about peaking at the right time. You want to be playing your best in the finals.

Sport is full of examples of teams who did that (Western Bulldogs 2016) and teams who didn't (Melbourne Stars 2013/14).

Is the 36ers best better than the best of Perth or United? Maybe, maybe not. Those two teams have had numerous and constant personnel changes. 36ers have not. At the least, this makes it all very interesting.

Reply #618721 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Just re-watched the game and having Gleeson with a microphone on was seriously entertaining to listen too. Some of the quotes mentioned above were just something I haven't heard from a coach in a Pro basketball game before, in particular " who is this ref? He is out of control! So one-sided!" What made it even more entertaining was Perth were really not getting many bad calls, there was one or two but the Sixers if anything had more go against them.

If you watch the game again with replays, virtually all the fouls Sobey drew were there, and I totally agree with KET regarding his acrobats and the fact that his level of athleticism is above most other players in the NBL will always make it look like he falls harder. He is always going to draw fouls in games due to his speed, athleticism and ability to attack the basket. The Wildcats defenders need to learn from this game and make sure they go straight up (Roy Hibbert Verticallity style) when they defend him when he is driving. Most of the time he was fouled was due to the Perth defenders jumping into to his body in the air and was correctly called by the refs.

When I used to attend more Sixers games, I would often find myself thinking we were getting hosed by the refs every home game due to probably being caught up in the atmosphere at the game, being parochial while watching your team etc. However when I would re-watch the games on TV, calls I thought were bad calls were often more correct than not and while a few of the calls may have been bad that the crowd got upset about, there generally wasn't that much to gripe about the majority of the time. I have seen far more bad calls go against the Sixers when playing away from home. My point when you are in the home crowd and 13000 people are booing every call against your team, you are always going to think you got the raw end of the deal from the refs, particularly if your team loses. Rewatching the game with replays etc. the next day will often change the way you saw a lot of the calls at the stadium.

The refereeing last night was certainly not one sided towards the Sixers, and most neutral fans (like Paul) seem to feel that way also and Double Clutch's analysis of Perth's physical play earlier on the thread was pretty spot on.

Reply #618722 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

I thought the game really delivered. Perth got out front and the Sixers reeled them in at the half. The 3rd qtr saw both teams trading baskets with some quality individual efforts. DJ was outstanding, Cotton showing some amazing blistering moves, and Creek was a real monster. The score line for each qtr was very similar to Thurs night game against United. Sixers started slowly with 17pts in first qtr and United scoring 24pts, which was the same scoreline last night. Then the sixers score their 24-25pts a qtr and wear the opposition down, enabling them to pile on in the 4th to blow the game open.
They are very versatile with Drmic, Ferguson, Jacobsen, Teys really understanding their ROLES in the team. It seems like one of their goals is to score 100pts a game knowing if they do this there is a fair chance they will win.

Reply #618723 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A coach yelling out "ball don't lie" should be an instant tech purely on account of how stupid a phrase it is.

Reply #618724 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Thanks Bid Ads and Uncle Phil - walked out of the stadium a very happy man. It's very rare to see the Sixers win in Perth and I've been on the end of a lot of pain at that Arena amongst 13K plus Wildcats fans. So you have to cherish these wins when they happen. The Wildcats fans around our area were generally very respectful and many shook our hands congratulated us when they knew the game was over.

Great to see the Chairman of the Boards in the house too with the fans on the Supporters Trip. Also got to chat with Joey and the team after the game which was very cool.

Wildcats really should have put the Sixers away being up by 16 in the second qtr but their offence isn't good enough. Offensive rebounds and free throws kept the Sixers in the game and then JR, Sobey and Creek were clutch when it mattered. Gotta say I'm becoming a big fan of Drmic too - he's a feisty pest but very quick especially on the fast break. And a very good rebounder for his size too.

Reply #618725 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Was nowhere near the worst officiating we have seen, not even recently and not by a lot. That is why this thread smacks of 'protesting too much' by Perth fans.

Some bad calls, both ways, and some apparent make up calls. Not sure it could even be said on balance that Perth were hard done by.

Gleeson influences the Perth crowd a lot by his histrionics which are so often completely unjustified that you can't trust his reaction to any situation.

Reply #618726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth just don't have an inside target. McKay is not it and Knight is well past his best. Offseason target needs to be a legit post target. Perth's offence is just not to go with the best offensive team like the 6ers.

They are probably second best in the comp, but I think the title is the 6ers this season. Perth needs to clean house but given the just gave Hire(not good enough )a new extension along with Wagstaff it will be tough.

Reply #618730 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perth need to get the ball inside to Knight, even if just to use his passing ability. How many post catches did he have in this game, two or three? Having said that, making Cairns defend on-balls is a recipe for success so I expect they'll go with plenty of that tomorrow night.

Reply #618743 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Where are the Perth layups? Too many jump shots amounted to nothing.

Matty is too far from the post....soon as he dribbled, he turned it over.

The opposition offense is getting rebounds....Too easy. Something is very wrong the way Wildcats played. I hope this turns around else I will be barracking Melbourne next year!!!

Reply #618763 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haha. Don't forget Adelaide have made a lot of teams look silly over the past two months. They are playing incredible basketball.

Perth are only going to get better as Martin gets fitter and Cotton finds his feet. He's been 11/33 the past two games after his hot start.

Reply #618767 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

What a Joke, 6's fans complaining about a Whinging coach!?!
Where I sit, I've got a really good view of the opposition bench and coach. Joey literally never shuts up. Sometimes he's applauding/ encouraging, but mostly he is whinging either at his team or at the refs. Even when basically nothing questionable has happened, Joey is still going off his nut.

End of the day, it all adds to the theatre. And end of the night, Joey was the one smiling. He must be doing something right.

Reply #618768 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Brandt has been a legit inside target in recent weeks. Last night unfortunately his hook shot was uncharacteristically off-target, then due to bad offence he ended up taking some medium range j's (not his forte), and then in the 2nd half we never really went back to him, which was strange/silly. I don't care if he misses some shots if they're the type he normally nails. It's like telling Penney to stop taking threes if he misses his first few.

Reply #618773 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I thought Dexter was under-utilised as well. He can make an impact quickly so you have to at least give him a fair chance each game.

Reply #618774 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I wonder if Brandt was crook? I noticed early on he seemed to be struggling, hanging his head like he was exhausted.

Reply #618776 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If you think this didn't come off Sobey, you need your head examined.

Reply #618789 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

The fact that Adelaide weathered the storm away from home in a venue like Perth was the most impressive part for me. Earlier in the season, or in previous seasons, Adelaide would've been blown out. The composure is going to be important if they are too seriously challenge when the finals heat up.

Ever since a thread questioning some aspects of Joey as coach came up, Adelaide have really turned it around. Defensively they are not just better but way more consistent. You have to be able to defend in this league and i think Joey realises that. Credit to him and the players for what they've done.

Reply #618790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the 36ers can beat the Hawks on the 28th of January there would of have beaten every team on there home court.

Reply #618794 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

yep OK, thets say that its 95% that the ball went off Sobey,that clearly cost perth the game.

we need to have the result cancelled, the referees all banned for life, the full game points award to Perth and an additional 2 points to get them into the finals, as an apology to Trev so its not him that breaks the streak.

We also need to award Perth them the game series against Adelaide, and promise that if they get scheduled against Adelaide during the finals, the first Adelaide home game will be forfeited to Perth and any pre-paid ticket revenue for that game passed on to them.

Only thus will justice be served.

Reply #618798 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Gee that video showed something I missed and it wasn't the deflection off wagstaff which you clearly see a jerk if his elbow as the ball brush his finger tips.... Wagstaff is lucky he didn't get a tech for the two handed chest push on Sobey. Regardles of the call thats worth shutting up about and not bringing it to the NBL and refs attention... They'll be hard on him next round if you do.

Reply #618799 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Oh , and the NBL needs to arrange for PTSD assessments and treatment plans for all Perth fans who attended the game.

Reply #618800 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

" ANON -re: Wildcats vs 36ers, Jan 14

Gee that video showed something I missed and it wasn't the deflection off wagstaff which you clearly see a jerk if his elbow as the ball brush his finger tips.... Wagstaff is lucky he didn't get a tech for the two handed chest push on Sobey. "

Nah , it was just Sobey setting him up for a flop, you can clearly see Sobey grab Wagstaff's elbows and force Wagstaff's arms and hands into his own chest, should have been an T on Sobey , shots to Perth at the other end.

Reply #618802 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

If Wagstaff had not been so genuinely concerned for Sobey's welfare and grabbed Sobey to hold him up, Sobey would have flopped and possibly gotten hurt when Wagstaff accidentally stepped on him.

Reply #618803 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Very Old, you need to have a cuppa tea, a Bex, and a good lay down.

This whole storm in a tea-cup was started by 6's fans, as usual needing to have SOMETHING to whinge about, even though they won and the fouls favoured them. Unoriginally, they decided to jump on the ole "Gleeson Whinges Too much" bus.
All that has been pointed out is that this was a mind-bogglingly incompetent call, and that (for once) Trev was justified in carrying on.

But of course, as per usual, some people just can never admit they're wrong, and have to keep banging on. Then when they are proven wrong, start throwing hissy fits, and still trying to point the finger back on Perth fans.

Reply #618804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Adelaide fans complain about Gleeson reacting to am obvious incorrect call, its proved that Gleeson was right, so Adelaide fans complain about Perth fans talking about that call... I thought you guys were meant to be knowledgeable.

Reply #618807 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

So he had a reason to complain on this one call. What explains the other 39 minutes of game then?

Losing sight of the forest for the one tree.

Reply #618809 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"What explains the other 39 minutes of game then?"

Paging ROFLcopter to the thread

Reply #618810 | Report this post

Wildcats fans are hilarious.

Absolute sooks. Your team is shit boys, just let it go.

Wawa refs this, Joey that.

How about your team gets a f kn rebound, and shoots above 20% for 3 and you might win a game.

Hope you miss the playoffs.

Reply #618811 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Haha I get it, he was right to complain there.

What I don't get is trying to say he's not really a complainer, which seems to be what a couple people are trying to do.

Yes Joey complains, but Gleeson is the #1 in that department. Saying "yeah but" is disingenuous.

Reply #618812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because that was the example used by a Sixers fan to prove he was not just a whinger, but a whinger when he is in the wrong.

Reply #618813 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

So build a bridge and get over it. This little episode basically shows why so many posters have issues with some Perth fans.

It was one play, yet it got a full-on investigation.

Reply #618814 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

yes yes yes, I understand that the other bigger children called you mean names first, and that THEY started it - and that means you can go bully the littlies to make yourself feel better. All good, as long as your not a littlie

But pls don't complain to me about Adelaide fans, I have a pair of slaggs behind me who have no idea, mostly get the calls wrong ( complain with high pitched screams of dismay - and then realise Adl is actually getting the ball) and just sporadically call out rather vile obscenities to the refs and opposition players. i think that they attend the game just to get excited - and good on em. ;)

However I am fairly certain that they are not registered on a basketball forum , so I would hope that their level of insight would not be strongly reflected here.

I've seen far worse reffed games than this one , even back during they heyday of crouch , Maindenhall etc.

IMHO The refs did not win or lose the game.

Perth had a 15 point lead and the game apparently under control. Their coach seemed to fall to pieces trying to control and influence the refs, when it was his players that really needed some guidance and support.

IMHO 5 out of twenty pro games are won primarily by the players and their combination simply being superior to the opposition,

14 games are won by the winning coach providing the correct strategy to suit his team's strengths and running practices to allow them to execute with minimal crisis input by him/her during the game.

And only 1 in 20 (if that) are won by ( not lost by - -that's farrrr more) pivotal coaching decisions made during the game.

I've yet to see Gleeson use anything other than intimidation of refereees at the pointy end of that 1 in 20 game. It fires up his players, it fires up the home crowd - so it gets the effort level up, and it give a good excuse for losing after the game, but its not really stepping up as an in-game head coach.

Reply #618815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, got it. Perths fault again. My bad. Let me know when you've shifted the goalposts back and I'll see if I get it right next time.

Reply #618816 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But pls don't complain to me about Adelaide fans, I have a pair of slaggs behind me who have no idea, mostly get the calls wrong
Some idiot near me was complaining after the held ball that resulted in a turnover, because 'we had the ball first, all they did was come in and grab it too, why should they get it?'

Someone earlier in the season protested a call against the 'Cats because 'there's 16 on the shot clock, how can it be 10 seconds in the backcourt?'

It was one play, yet it got a full-on investigation.
Probably because I mentioned it as being the worst call of the season, and people then started arguing that it was clearly correct. Which it just wasn't. Even the people arguing it was inconclusive need their eyes checked, but I can at least understand that argument.

It's not anywhere near as blatant as I thought it was watching it live and seeing the replay on the big screen, but it was still clearly the wrong call.

Reply #618821 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Wtf? This thread is still going!!!

Adelaide and perth fans are the biggest bunch of whingers

Reply #618822 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This riled up behaviour by the raging reds, I give it one week until we see "crooked Joey" and "Jail Sobey" protests.

Of course it seems to be common place here to give one call a full investigation and miss the broader being made.

For the Perth fans though, I am genuinely interested - perhaps in a different discussion thread, to find out what the Perth fan gets to experience in terms of how much marketing of the Wildcats they come across in every day life, the amount of discussion with the average Joe about your team, the familiarity by the average Joe towards the Wildcats, the buzz, the accessibility to their team, the game day experience and the atmosphere during games and so on.

What outside of the Court are the things Perth fans get to experience which perhaps others like 36ers fans don't get to. Where can other clubs look to the Wildcats to improve.

If you're getting 13,000 to a Thursday night game and regular 10k crowds - you're doing something right.

Reply #618823 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm not sure why they keep trying to get people to go to games, TBH. I think every time we've set an attendance record we've lost.

Reply #618824 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

All thread is now lacking is some people to whinge about the people whinging about the Adelaide fans that whinge about what big whingers the Perth fans are. I don't think it should go unsaid how annoying those whingers are.
(I'd kick it off myself, but as I'm a Perth fan that would result in a loop that could suck the entire message board into its vortex)

Reply #618825 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Even the people arguing it was inconclusive need their eyes checked, but I can at least understand that argument.

It's not anywhere near as blatant as I thought it was watching it live and seeing the replay on the big screen, but it was still clearly the wrong call.

Kobe, watching it in normal pace with that angle there was no clarity to it. Generally it's hazardous to make assumptions. I think maybe watching the replay you've realised it's not a blatant call.

Obviously slow motion shows bent fingers - a feature which refs don't have. Nor did they seem to have a very good angle with Wagstaff in the way. And in any case, they're not going to believe Gleeson who cracks it no matter what happens on the Court.

Also, I do implore you to develop basic social conventions - make your point without insulting inferences after. It really wouldn't be hard for anyone here to incessantly target the bountiful mistakes you make - they just don't because that would be a waste of their time.

We'll be nice and not remind you of your 'worst call of the season' blunder.

Reply #618827 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Luuuc, people like you are here so we know there's reasonable and rational Perth fans ;)

I'm guessing maybe a lot of the fighting and ref stuff is due to the fact the season is so tight. If you lose or win big or you're pretty set in the ladder, the refs aren't targeted as much because it's just simply less important.

Reply #618828 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Whilst other coaches tend to argue on wrong/partly-wrong calls; Gleeson argues and complains on calls which are correct and clear as day.

I remember in the game on Saturday; Kenny fouled a guy on the baseline, Gleeson threw his fist in the air and started blowing up. Kenny told Gleeson to pipe it 'I fouled him'.

Perth have very sneaky ways of defending in which sometimes it can look like they don't foul, when they really do (not hating on the Cats; it's actually smart defence). But they try to make it look like they have their hands up, whilst at the same time 'bodying' up; or they'll use a hand on the body etc (Hire, Knight, Wagstaff, Martin all very good at doing this). Gleeson needs to understand this.

Reply #618834 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thankfully the 36ers had such a comfortable win that no single bad call decided the game. Maybe when Perth get the new import in, Martin back and then have the strength of a home crowd behind them they'll have more luck?

Reply #618836 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haha cheeky Isaac

Reply #618837 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I think we have established one thing: When Gleeson is genuinely aggrieved over a bad call you can tell because he uses his 8 year old boy voice.

That might be the funniest thing I have ever heard all season. Thanks for posting it in all its glory above koberulz!

Reply #618838 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

More seriously, that was a really powerful win by the 36ers. Early on, they looked daunted by the crowd and disrupted by Martin. Johnson was the only one with anything going until Creek came in to assist. I'd bet on Perth and was expecting a miserable blow out.

To go into that venue and then reel off a 20-2 run against a powerful and confident opponent is quite stunning. The squad seem really united. Joey Wright should be given Coach of the Year now - no point waiting.

Maybe they'll come undone during the finals, but if they can lock in home court advantage and stay tight, they look more legit with every game.

But I still have no idea how they're doing it!

Reply #618840 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

One thing I want to know is.....if Gleeson got an official warning from the refs early in the game, how in hell didn't he get at least one tech foul for his antics in the 2nd half?

At least Joey Wright appeared to tone down a bit after his warning, but Gleeson was carrying on like a prized idiot.

Even in the NBL I have seen coaches tech fouled for a lot less than Gleeson or even Wright were doing on Saturday night.

Reply #618841 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Calling into question the integrity, experience or competence of an individual referee should be out of bounds - and Gleeson did all three in one sequence - directly to one of the senior referees with no call!

Reply #618842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"should be out of bounds"

Unfortunately the refs wouldn't be able to determine who it came from, as evidenced by the play in question.

Reply #618843 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Isaac - you're right. It was a huge win.

It's quite amazing that for a team so young (and relatively inexperienced) - Sobey, Creek, Ferguson, Hodgson, Drmic, Deng - they were able to sustain the pressure in that kind of environment and come up with the W.

The only other team I have really seen being able to do that over there was the Breakers in 2011/2012/2013, but even then they had some unbelievably experienced/veteran heads like Vukona, Braswell, Henare, Boucher, Penney, etc.

Reply #618844 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"I think we have established one thing: When Gleeson is genuinely aggrieved over a bad call you can tell because he uses his 8 year old boy voice.
That might be the funniest thing I have ever heard all season."

It might also be a useful reference point for the refs. Now they know which is his default flog voice and which is the voice that might actually be making a valid point and therefore worth listening to if their hearing range extends to that frequency.

Reply #618849 | Report this post

Fake ROFL  
Years ago

Gleeson is an 8-year-old flog.

Reply #618852 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The reason behind Mitch Creek's shaved head, a friend of his had just been attacked and is in hospital with a fractured skull.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/adelaide-36ers-captain-mitch-creek-shaves-head-flies-home-early-from-perth-for-bedside-vigil-for-bashed-friend/news-story/f931256f9290118690518789dbc9da9d

Reply #618866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-coach-joey-wright-unhappy-with-perth-wildcats-fans-after-back-slap/news-story/c77bb685184151e36c6c84d96956c6e7

Joey is a flog

Reply #618867 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

seems dj and creek were pretty good
their numbers look similar to sobey and randle.
there are nblers cain't do those kinda numbers...

Reply #618871 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm with Joey on this one. Players & staff should not have to put up with unsolicited contact. It appeared good-natured but it's still crossing the line. End of story.

Reply #618872 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed Luuuc, Joey seems to take it pretty well in his stride.

I've noticed Australians have that tendency of evading personal space when trying to be overly friendly, this is probably an occasion.

The crude language stuff... it's disappointing there's always a few idiots who think it's acceptable to cause shit - you see it everywhere, in Adelaide, Melbourne etc.

The crude types need to be thrown out whether it's directly next to the opposition coach or even just in the crowd - basketball is intended to be a family outing. If you feel the need to make people uncomfortable or you just don't understand the concept of 'anti-social behaviour' then don't go to the game. These people think highly of themselves and they think they're funny - but they're the dumb thugs who nobody wants to be around.

I've sat near these types before and they're so incessant it ruins games.

Reply #618874 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754