Anonymous
Years ago

Bullets vs Breakers 15th Jan

These two teams sit in the bottom two with a 9-12 W/L record but the Breakers have only won 2 road games in 10 attempts this year both in overtime.

R3-Brisbane 88 to Breakers 82
R5-Breakers 86 to Brisbane 70
R10-Breakers 82 to Brisbane 75

The Breakers lead the series 2-1 with a 17 point differential.

Topic #40674 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ coming off a solid win at home and with 2x decent new imports finding their feet at their new team I have NZ by 8.

Reply #618657 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would be a massive effort for Brisbane to get up without Gibson, Bairstow and Petrie.

Just looking ahead at the draw, if NZ get this one it is quite conceivable we could end up with the Breakers, Melbourne and Perth close to a three-way tie.

That would mean results and points differential on the last weekend when Melbourne play both NZ and Perth (in the last game) deciding which two (probably) make the playoffs.

Who knows what will actually happen, but that would be a very tasty scenario!

Reply #618659 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

The most impressive aspect of the win over Sydney was not the fact that Dillard and Carter are decent, to be sure they are, but the effect their presence had on "jumping jack" Mitchell. His mobility really came into it's own.
Sydney were dreadful but the defensive intensity we played with the other night is what has been missing all season.
Brisbane are in a real hole. Beal and Craig have to show up to make game of it. Kickert came with the right mindset against Illawarra, and looks like Izzy Tueta will get some time.
Thought Bruce and Te Rangi also had their best games for a bit. The Brisbane beach will be tested tis afternoon.

Reply #618660 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Quite right Tom, Dillard's behind the back to Carter for Mitchell alley-oop underscored your point. Still shaking my head at the run DMC comment though.

Breakers' playoff intensity defense was the main reason for that win. The Kings failed to match it and was intimidated so badly as evidenced by the turnovers and forced shots. NZ need to sustain that from here on out though.

Reply #618685 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Breakers are always good when they play D they can run off, be that forcing turnovers (which they're not doing much of this year) or forcing tough shots and sweeping the glass.

Dillard and Carter give them two guys who can rebound and bust out, adding to Vukona and Penney who also do that. Once they get into offence early they're tough to defend.

If they can get Abercrombie back soon they have a nice team with a lot of flexibility, but I think they have to win today and need to close out the series against Melbourne and Perth (they're 2-1 in both) if they're going to make playoffs.

Reply #618690 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Any update on Gibson? I know he wouldn't be playing today but just wondering the final prognosis? I am not a fan of him but the last two games he has looked great.

Will the Bullets import play today?

Even though Brisbane are hit with injuries I think they are better balanced without Petrie and Bairstow and looked great against Hawks (and earlier in the season without Bairstow). Unfortunately now with Gibson gone they might not have the firepower (happy for them to prove me wrong today). I still think they will be competitive against NZ today and if they can put 4 great quarters together could possibly steal a victory.
A great opportunity for Bruce and Tueta.

Reply #618698 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think with one less big and one more good guard they would have been a better team this year, but not without both Bairstow and Petrie.

Gibbo and Bear are there best two +- guys this season, so to be without them makes it a real challenge.

Reply #618700 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Gibbo will out for the season as he couldn't put any weight on his leg when getting carried off.I'm thinking Breakers in this game as Gibbo was playing really well and will be a big loss and i doubt Kendle is playing the way he was warming up before the Hawks game but will be suited up so he qualifies for the finals if Bullets make it.

Reply #618703 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Gibbo has been confirmed as out for the rest of the season with a calf injury.

Reply #618711 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

TO's killing us.

Reply #618727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

11 to 2 turn overs, while Brisbane have only gotten 2 steals. Brisbane have scored 17 points from turn overs to NZ's 3. If they can cut them down in the second half they can definitely win this.

Reply #618729 | Report this post

Ok  
Years ago

So this is the game where anything that looks like a travel is called.

Reply #618731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turn overs are now 15-2

Reply #618732 | Report this post

Ok  
Years ago

Some of these travels are so minuscule that it really seems like someone got a bee in their bonnet about them.

Reply #618733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After watching his last few games, I feel like Jervis often gets away with a fair bit of contact sometimes

Reply #618734 | Report this post

Ok  
Years ago

It's not just you. He has mastered bringing his arms down hard and then back up really quickly. Gotten away with it for years in the SBL, now seems to get the benefit of the doubt in the NBL too.

Seems strange since so many bigs get pinged for it when they don't really move at all.

Reply #618735 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Turnovers and unforced errors killing it for NZ.
Pretty frustrating watch.
Credit to the Bullets playing well despite the injuries to key players.

Reply #618736 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

NZ really haven't handled the Bullets physicality well.

Reply #618737 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Dillard is quality.

Reply #618738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets falling away again in the last margin back to 2.

Reply #618739 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Kickert 24 on 9/9 and 4/4 3pt shooting, 2/2 ft. On fire.

Reply #618740 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Perhaps keep making Kickert dribble? He's pretty good at this catch and shoot thing.

Reply #618741 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bullets are murdering NZ on the effort plays.

Brisbane playing like their playoff lives depend on it coming off a loss, some of the Breakers playing like it's a scrimmage, perhaps getting ahead of themselves after beating a poor team.

Teams with their backs to the wall have been very dangerous this season.

Reply #618742 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Wow!!!! Dillard with the huge play to win it.

Reply #618744 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Fuck... What a finish! Dillard came up huge!

Reply #618745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a huge finish

Reply #618746 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

WOW KEVIN DILLARD!!!

Reply #618747 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

EEEEHHHHAAA.
We stole it !!!!!!!despite a zillion TO'S.
Beal you bozo!
Dillard you beauty.

Reply #618748 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Kevin Dillard, damn!!!

Reply #618749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal dumb thinking in the last 30secs hold onto the ball and make sure the breakers only 5 or 6 seconds not turn the ball.

Reply #618750 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

You beauty.....I think NZ plays a tight game at the end....good on them.

Reply #618752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ could have easily won that game by a lot if it wasn't for all those TO's, not a coincidence that their final few minutes where they actually played well had almost none (maybe 1?).

Clutch performance by Dillard at the end!

Reply #618754 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

11 points, 2 steals, 2 assists and a rebound in the last 7 minutes for Dillard.

Reply #618755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 straight games now the Bullets have lead at 3 quarter time and lost.

Lead Breakers by 8 at 3qtr lose by 2
Lead Hawks by 5 at 3qtr lose by 5
Lead Perth by 7 at 3qtr lose by 4

Reply #618757 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Feel so sorry for Brisbane, two games in a row they've played their hearts out and been hurt by dumb decisions, mostly by Beal. Surely he's not back next year.

Dillard. Wow, came up big. Great to watch. He'll be even better with Abercrombie spacing the floor.

Reply #618758 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Awesome finish and game winner by Dillard.

Reply #618759 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bullets should find an upgrade on Beal

Reply #618760 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Too late for that Zodiac. Their ship has sailed.

Reply #618761 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Bullets choke artists, Beal cooked

Reply #618762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's that conversation where Dillard wasn't in the Ware, Randle category and that he wasn't in Cottons league or something...

Clutch.

Reply #618764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal will need to be Australian to play in the league next year.

Hopefully he is putting out the marriage proposals.

Reply #618765 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's the same old tale with Beal, a good player to have if you don't rely on him as a consistent performer and can just cash in when he gets hot.

Reply #618766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Where's that conversation where Dillard wasn't in the Ware, Randle category and that he wasn't in Cottons league or something...

Clutch."

I just bumped it.

Reply #618769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Breakers renaissance is also showing that this is fast becoming a league where you need a superstar PG or primary ball handler to thrive.

Reply #618770 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

He really is the best of Damian Lillard and Kevin Durant

Reply #618771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I only saw the replays of the final shot, but what is this Beal brainfart that everyone is referring to above?

Reply #618772 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The Breakers renaissance is also showing that this is fast becoming a league where you need a superstar PG or primary ball handler to thrive."

That's been the case for a long time. Look at the championship winning PGs going back to 2000. Not too many shabby players there:

Damian Martin x 3
Cedric Jackson x 3
Paul Henare/Kevin Braswell
Adam Gibson
CJ Bruton x 3
Nathan Croswell/D-Mac x 2
Shane Heal
Brett Maher
Charles Thomas
Ricky Grace

Reply #618775 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Nathan Croswell!

Reply #618777 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Did New Zealand just win a game after trailing for the entire 40 minutes?

Reply #618782 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Officially, yes, although I think they actually trailed for 39:59.9!

Reply #618783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal lost the handle down the stretch. T/O and the Bullets choked with the winning show being made on the buzzer by the Kiwis.

Reply #618785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was tied at the end there so they were not trailing the whole way

Reply #618791 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ had no business winning that game with the amount of turnovers they committed.
To actually come away with a win is insane.

Reply #618793 | Report this post

Ras Posse  
Years ago

I Believed they trailed for 39 min.and 40 sec. It was a terrible play by Beal but what was Mitch Young shooting that three in the last minute ..

Reply #618796 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Kickert should have been more aggressive; it seemed to get to a point where he was more concerned about having a 'perfect' game rather than taking some risks.

Reply #618801 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

^ The guy goes 9-9 and you're having pots at him??? C'mon man. Kicks ha always been pretty selective with his shots (read: he doesn't chuck up junk) which is why he shoots with a high clip. He is never going to be a high volume guy.

Reply #618808 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Second game in a row the Bullets lost because Beal is shit.

Reply #618818 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

^^^^

Ultimate frustration as a Bullets fan. Hoped he would learn from the loss his gave Brisbane on Saturday but we saw an almost identical play, he even turned the ball over at the exact same spot. Beal is killing me. Bullets cooked. Bring on next season.

Reply #618833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal had two shockers in a row, maybe adding Kendall has him spooked.

Refs call a couple minor travels through the game but the last winning basket by NZ he might as well been waltzing an no call.

Reply #618835 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"^ The guy goes 9-9 and you're having pots at him??? C'mon man. Kicks ha always been pretty selective with his shots (read: he doesn't chuck up junk) which is why he shoots with a high clip. He is never going to be a high volume guy."

Happy to have a go at him, apart from Craig there was no one else even looking like scoring, so he needed to step up and take some more shots. He could have gone for 40 yesterday and won the game for them easily.

Reply #618839 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Refs call a couple minor travels through the game but the last winning basket by NZ he might as well been waltzing an no call."

Looked like two steps to me.

Reply #618848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching it I thought it was a travel, re watched it in slow motion it was more like four steps.

Reply #618861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This isnt a perth thread...4 steps my ass

Reply #618862 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Definitely two steps from when he picks up the ball. Fair score.

Reply #618873 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:59 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754