Dazz
Years ago

Taipans v Wildcats - Mon 16/1 - 6:30pm AEST

Been a big round round, and this is a Massive game.

Despite looking ensconced in last place, Cairns have only lost 11 games. That is less than Sydney, NZ, and Brissy, and equal to MU. A couple of wins could easily see them move up the ladder.
At the same time, the newly resurgent Cats want to cement a top 4 spot, and ideally move above 4th spot (and a SF series against Adelaide.)

The Cats with Cotton, and Damo back, have mostly looked like a new team, and importantly won some big games on the road. They will be smarting after last nights loss, and some players will be looking to make amends.
That said, its a tough road trip, especially 2 days after a game, but Cairns also played yesterday and have to travel home.

I think one think we can safely predict, with these two teams, and both being a little tired, it will be a tough defensive slog.

With Damo, Cotton, and CP, I think Perth have the backcourt edge. But the battle up front should be stupendous. With big Nate, Loughton, and Worthington (and even Egwu) Cairns have some big bodies to throw around. Perth need McKay to cut lose early (as he did last night) but not get into foul trouble and get benched. If he gets the ascendency, Cairns have nobody to match his speed and athleticism, but at the same time he's just not strong enough to go banging against their line-up. Knight, Brandt, and Wagstaff must work hard to hold their own. Knight had a unproductive night yesterday, so hopefully he is fired up.

Cairns should be favourites at home, but Perth can win this.

Topic #40676 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know if all the Perth Team travelled?
Heard a rumour one of the boys was sick

Reply #618778 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

If it is corban Wroe or Redhage it is ok.

Reply #618779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth by 7 as much as it pains me to say it. They are playing for their playoff lives

Reply #618781 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth vs Cairns twice in 5 days. NBL trying to get arguably the least-attractive combo in the league out of the way quietly? :p

Reply #618786 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I like watching our games against Perth. At least you don't get all the opposition fans complaining that their players were being touched.
Much as last night was entertaining, simply reality is that Perth is seldom going to beat a team that scores 95 points.

I'm interested to see if Jawai still can't get a foul call, even on his home court? In which case we just get someone to hack his arms. "Hack-an-Outback-Shaq"?

Reply #618788 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

On paper Perth should win this game but we all know that means nothing in this competition. If Perth can start to play 4 quarters instead of 2-3 they can be a powerhouse. Cotton might be the peice of the puzzle they were missing but they are still yet to put the jigsaw together.

Dazz your correct in what you say in your post, Perth should dominate in the backcourt and SF position with Worthington and Jawai sure to cause troubles for McKay and Knight. I'd like to see Brandt get the a start in this one - he is a bit stronger in the paint to what McKay is and might be better equipped to deal with Jawai.

This is a game that Perth should and need to win however Cats seem to struggle in FNQ and it's going to be a tight one. Perth by 3

Reply #618795 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

The Wildcats are not just a team, they are the team. Check it out:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/perth-wildcats-players-re-enact-backstreet-boys-video-ng-b88356066z

Reply #618805 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dazz your correct in what you say in your post, Perth should dominate in the backcourt and SF position with Worthington and Jawai sure to cause troubles for McKay and Knight. I'd like to see Brandt get the a start in this one - he is a bit stronger in the paint to what McKay is and might be better equipped to deal with Jawai.
Whilst I doubt they will intentionally match-up, the "battle" between Jawai and McKay will be extremely interesting. Jawai is immovable inside on D, and unstoppable down low. Knight and Brandt will have their work cut out. At the same time, McKay is much quicker, in all directions.

I kinda agree with your idea about starting Brandt, and he will need to do a lot of work, but I think they will start McKay and try to get him ascendant early. He actually opened really well last night, but gave up a couple of cheap fouls early, got benched, and struggled to come back. If he can get that good start again, but stay clean, he'll force Cairns to be the ones to adapt.

Could honestly come down to how Jawai fares early. For most of last season, he was absolutely fleeced by the refs. I haven't seen much of him play this year, but I have heard he still gets mugged.

Reply #618806 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I think we're going to get caned by a resurgent Perth team with a point to prove. That said, I am massively looking forward to the 2 hours of nonstop abuse that Trevor Gleeson catches when Perth come to town. Most coaches are smart enough to ignore it. Trevor isn't.

Game on Trevor, game on.

Reply #618817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The wildcats season just about on the line here? C'mon cats

Reply #618819 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Trevor is a mongrel when it comes to sideline refreeing.

It raises his systolic pressure so he doesn't put it on his players.

Reply #618820 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Its difficult to get a read on perth. They have only shown flashes of what they can do when their offense clicks. Can they start to play four quarters by the time the finals come around.

Reply #618826 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Can we *please* have another out of bounds call go against Perth, just so we get to hear Gleeson's voice transition to a 8 year old girl's again?

Reply #618829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHAHAHAHA LV that was a great moment, "WHAT" - Lisa Simpson/Trevor Gleeson

Reply #618830 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Its difficult to get a read on perth. They have only shown flashes of what they can do when their offense clicks. Can they start to play four quarters by the time the finals come around.
Yeah, fair call.
But at least v Cairns, there won't be a question of whose terms the game is played on.

Reply #618831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope Taipans get the upset and Perth start a heap of threads discussing every angle of things from flights hotel accommodation what the team is eating etc etc

Reply #618832 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

If the Cats actually make some of their layups or point blank shots, might have a chance.

Reply #618851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats have drifted out to $1.97 underdogs with bet365, they had been faves all week, seems like good value imo

Reply #618853 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

I wouldn't start Brandt, starting 5 has been pretty good .....for me Knight has to be the match up early on Nate, with Brandt the rotation coming off the bench just to lean on him.

Knight and the Cats would know Nate's game inside out and it is all about making the big fella work hard and not letting him catch it deep.

Looking forward to the physicality of this one.

Reply #618855 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The boys will get up here, you watch. Nate will go off for 20+ but Prather will break out of his funk

Reply #618856 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Never seem to play well up in cairns for some reason, the team more desperate will win.

Reply #618858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate hawk is incapable of 20+. I have even less faith in cairns winning based on that hopeful post manu! Smart money is on Perth I've placed it there as my love of money is higher than my hate of dazz and Perth.

Reply #618859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow you reeeeeally love money hey

Reply #618860 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Good measure of man's intelligence, money

Reply #618863 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The Taipans find a way to drag an opposition back to their level in Cairns. I expect the Snakes to play as slowly as possible, going through Nate for tempo control.

Reply #618864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That all sounds good and intellectual, but really cotton and Prather are playing at a high level, and cairns are not adelaide. No way they will control too much in this one. Spell check changed Nate to hawk before hah I just think Cairns are ready to fall right back, and Perth need it even more now they lost at home. And yes side note I love making money off the bizarre odds in the nbl time to time.

Reply #618865 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Taipans defence on P&R and rotations were really on the nose against United, shouldn't happen again. Either way I don't really rate Cotton's ability to manipulate screens like a Goulding, Ware or Randle. If we win the boards, we should do it.

Reply #618868 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The Taipans find a way to drag an opposition back to their level in Cairns. I expect the Snakes to play as slowly as possible, going through Nate for tempo control.
Perth and Cairns are both masters of the slow Bump & Grind, however Perth do now have the ability to cut lose when there is an opportunity.

Really depends how badly they want this. We all know that traditionally Perth travel poorly, especially to FNQ, but they have turned that axiom around with 3/3 on the road when their season was on the line.

Reply #618875 | Report this post

Thunder jam  
Years ago

With all three imports performing sub par for most of the season(ie Trice good early),along with Wortho out of sorts,this might get ugly.
I'm thinking Perth by double figures.

Reply #618876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth should get this one easy although nothing ever seems easy for them even now they are stacked

Reply #618877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes dazz perth has the ability to 'cut lose'
they lose and all their fans are cut

Reply #618878 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

yeah, I never get that one right. Cut loose?

Reply #618879 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha yeah Dazz, 'loose'

Reply #618880 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

There are a few jugs to go round if Wildcats behave today.

Reply #618881 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

People don't realise, but Cairns also have the ability to cut loose too. They only do it at home though, and it's almost always Wortho who ignites it.

Reply #618882 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Cotton to dunk on Wortho and Nate for a #poster

Reply #618883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats into $1.69 with Sportsbet.

Reply #618884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7:30pm AEST?

Reply #618885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats back to $1.82, price has been jumping all over the place today lol

Reply #618886 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I actually think Cairns have a good chance in this game. I don't think it will be a blow out before the 4th Q. In that last Q? - who knows what will happen.

Reply #618887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I actually think Cairns have a good chance in this game. I don't think it will be a blow out before the 4th."

Knowing what the Wildcats are like, it probably will be a blow out in the first half at some point before we choke our lead away and head into the final quarter with the scores close lol

Reply #618888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho out

Reply #618890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Prather might be out too

Reply #618891 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hire starting for Perth. More than makes up for the loss of Wortho :p

Prather out of the 5. Will he play?

Reply #618892 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

‏@PerthWildcats

WILDCATS ALERT

Casey Prather has been ruled out of tonight's game after pulling up sore.

Reply #618893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

time to hit that cash out button with no Prather I think lol

Reply #618894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a greater disparity in the league between a starter and his backup than Prather & Hire? Ok clearly not. What about in NBL history?

Reply #618895 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

McKay wtf?

Reply #618896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going to be interesting with Prather out and Mckay out early with foul trouble

Reply #618897 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Anyone know what the story is with Prather? Besides "pulled up sore"?

Big outs for both teams, may change the dynamic.
I'd suggest Cairns are better able to cover Wortho, than Perth are to cover Prather.

Reply #618899 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

Cats not wasting any time blowing a lead tonight

Reply #618900 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

19-6 run... boy the cats stink at defense this season. We no longer get the steady defensive stops we used to get in previous seasons

Reply #618901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol no shit!

Reply #618902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in response to prather being harder to cover than wortho

Reply #618903 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't mind conceding 19 in a quarter as much as I mind only scoring 15.

Reply #618904 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

3 fouls already for the cats, sick

Reply #618905 | Report this post

TM  
Years ago

Prather tweaked his ankle in Sat nights game, but played the game out.

Reply #618906 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Hire... with a game-high 7 points... c'mon now

Reply #618907 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Forgot to rebound

Reply #618908 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

28-34 in almost a half. That's not an unusual quarter for a Sixers game.

Reply #618909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The baskets just never drop for perth when they're getting decent stops

Reply #618910 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Wildcats not playing Wildcats basketball.

Reply #618911 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Really, really hard to watch professional players flub easy layups so much.

A good 36ers quarter would cover this half.

Reply #618912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson unusually subdued

Reply #618913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most frustrating Wildcats season I've ever experienced :/

Reply #618914 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Both Teams have enough speed and skill to actually run, must be frustrating to have to slam the brakes on all the time.

Reply #618915 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

The guys at Wildcats will lose their jobs, given this performance.

Reply #618916 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Wildcats chemistry hitting a low point

Reply #618917 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Terrible "travel" call then soft foul called on Nate. How dare he complain.

Reply #618918 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Turnover city

Reply #618919 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Good to see nothing has changed and we stink it on offense. Cotton 3 from 11, not NBA standard.

Reply #618920 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

At least Cotton is being proactive even if he's not super efficient right now. It's important that he keeps making things happen not not too many others are.

Reply #618921 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wagstaff you flog. Run into the line of the player and then sell the contact

Reply #618922 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Cotton looks good when he's on the move and the Cats get him some space.

They are just too stagnant normally.

Reply #618923 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

That is not a foul on Egwu, it is staggering what they are calling in games.

Reply #618924 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

Buckets for WEEKS!

Reply #618925 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Is it just me or does Weeks put his hand right underneath the ball on pretty much every dribble?

Reply #618926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can the cats please learn how to defend the perimeter more and stop those three pointers it's entirely frustrating to watch

Reply #618927 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

3 seconds left on the clock and Kenny runs away from the ball handler an hot hand.

Reply #618928 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

For fuks sake Gleeson get Drew on the court, not more than 3 games ago he was dropping threes, now he rides the pine when one of our main scorers is out.

Reply #618929 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Just reading the release about Worthington.

"Medical staff and Worthington came to a mutual agreement late this afternoon that he was better suited to sit out tonight."

Reply #618930 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Can someone shut that guy behind the bench in yellow up,does it every game.

Reply #618931 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Drew with the falcon followed by getting posterised

Reply #618932 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"For fuks sake Gleeson get Drew on the court, not more than 3 games ago he was dropping threes, now he rides the pine when one of our main scorers is out."

Yeah how did that one workout for you?

Gleeson goes with a horrible line up to start the 4th

Reply #618933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Defens the threes jesus

Reply #618934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats fans complaining about hecklers....oh never been to a wildcats game

Reply #618935 | Report this post

RedArmy  
Years ago

This is hard to watch. Once again Cats are no certainty to make the playoffs this year. So many times in this game the team goes missing at either end of the court. Pissweak performance. Gleeson needs to go.

Reply #618936 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Killed off by Loughton. That really hurts.

Reply #618937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sick of these awful attempts at defending three pointers

Reply #618938 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

All the Wildcats shld be sacked...they are playing like amateurs.

Reply #618939 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

"Is it just me or does Weeks put his hand right underneath the ball on pretty much every dribble?"

I too thought it looks like he's carrying.

Loving the Cairns bench getting right behind their team from the sideline. Great energy!

Reply #618940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to watch. It's frikkin fantastic

Reply #618941 | Report this post

Al  
Years ago

Given drew 12 mins not points

Reply #618942 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"Medical staff and Worthington came to a mutual agreement late this afternoon that he was better suited to sit out tonight."

DNP-Old.

Reply #618943 | Report this post

Al  
Years ago

Go wildcats

Reply #618944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Taipans hitting shots they would normaly brick. One of those nights

Reply #618945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth lifted their intensity when the game is over

Reply #618946 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Jarrod and Drew fairly hopeless

Reply #618947 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Awesome time for a tech, Trev. Onya

Reply #618948 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Well done Gleeson you flog.

Reply #618949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

;Perth where was this 2 minutes ago?

Reply #618950 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Lol my god..what an ending!

Reply #618951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unbeliveble bullshit. perth are getting screwed

Reply #618952 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This whole end game has been weird as hell

Reply #618953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Off weeks, taipans ball. Gliddon moving called charge. lol

Reply #618954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans need to learn how to close out a game

Reply #618955 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Actually think it was a fair ending. Both Cotton and McKay were out of trouble..if it wasnt a charge on McKay it was probably a travel.

Credit to Perth for that comeback though.

Reply #618956 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well the tempo was pretty much as expected. A total of 6 points scored on the fast break, pretty much sums it up.
The overall result was not unexpected, But didn't foresee Weigh and Weeks murdering us from outside.

McKay sitting on his bum early with foul-trouble was always a worry, and as predicted he wasn't able to regain any ascendancy

Cotton is starting to look wasteful, just throwing bricks everywhere, hope he settles down.

Prather just leaves too big a hole.

Last year, with Jawai starting, and Jervis on the bench, Knight did a lot less heavy-lifting and played out the season strongly. This year, as has happened previously, he's tiring. Still works his butt off though.

I like that the Cats kept plugging away, almost closed the gap, but just a bridge too far.

Nothing to panic about, but not a great weekend, results wise.

Reply #618957 | Report this post

dj  
Years ago

How the fuck could the ref call that off Cottons foot when it was clearly off Cairns. Screwed big time

Reply #618958 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Even in a win, Cairns that is why you won't play playoffs. How many games have they thrown away at home this year? Thank god the only guy with IQ Gliddon came back on the court..

Reply #618959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wtf was with that ending

Reply #618960 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Out of control* not trouble.

Reply #618961 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Wow!!!!! What a couple absolutely terrible calls/no calls. Cotton fouled by Weeks. Weeks kicking it out. Then McKay with a charge from a flop.

I'm no Perth fan but they got hosed.

Reply #618962 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

Perth have no one but themselves to blame. They raised their intensity when the game was almost out of reach.

Reply #618963 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nice comeback, aided by a fair choke from Cairns, but too little too late for the cats.

Reply #618964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clear as day off Weeks but anyway.

Reply #618965 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

mmmmmm I love me some Perth salt.

Delicious!

Reply #618966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still couldn't work out who it was off from the couple of angles they showed, but did the refs even review it? If they did, it was the quickest review ever.

Reply #618967 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

McKay injuries his knee, in clear pain goes down on his haunches and the crowd boo him, what a clear lack of class from the cairns crowd, doesn't surprise me anyway.

Reply #618968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL REFEREEING IS A JOKE!!!

IM NOT A PERTH FAN BUT THEY GOT F***ED WITH NO LUBE

Reply #618970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weeks took a charge. Not calledm Ball went off Cottons foot. Suck it up Perff.

Reply #618971 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Perth seem to have gone away from what has made them so good over these years.

Prototypical Perth basketball has been a mid-post post up by Knight with movement and play off that.

They are so heavily perimeter reliant now with Cotton; I haven't seen Knight fed the ball anywhere near as much this year. They are struggling to get those easy baskets.

Reply #618972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns fans with the zero class

Reply #618973 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Stevie Weigh was the top scorer for Cairns - how do you feel Cats fans?

Reply #618974 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

You could watch the Weeks out of bounds 10 times on without being able to conclude who it was off.

Clear charge on McKay. If people think that was moving then they might want to rewind until when Knight set a massive moving screen which gifted Wildcats with a 3 pointer.

Stop complaining about the refs again. Your team and coached stuffed up. It is as simple as that.

Reply #618975 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Kingpodge mm I love some salt with our 7 championships. Tastes good

Reply #618976 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I thought Perth got the better run with the refs for most of the game tbh.

Reply #618978 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha hook, line and sinker.

mmmmmm delicious.

Reply #618979 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Even Trigger saw the ball went off Weeks. Surely it was reviewable?

Reply #618980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I Could not tell whose foot it came off.

Reply #618981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The funny thing was they did review it. And still got it wrong. That's just how bad the refs are in this league

Reply #618982 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"The funny thing was they did review it. And still got it wrong. That's just how bad the refs are in this league"

No they reviewed it, it was inconclusive evidence so they went with the original decision.

Reply #618984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth drop to 5th.

Reply #618985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glidden pretty much ran into McKay's space to get outside the charge circle and got the call... amazing.

Reply #618988 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Inconclusive? Did they watch both angles? Second angle on TV shows Weeks foot and Cottons nowhere near the ball.

Reply #618989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we stop blaming the refs, the best side won. Perth are only any good when damion Martin is on the floor. Perth got a few calls there way, it's swings and roundabouts.

Reply #618990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kingpodge mm I love some salt with our 7 championships. Tastes good" There is the exact reason why everyone hates Perth. Just sayin

Reply #618991 | Report this post

Brutal Game  
Years ago

Toft: Weigh was a solid contributor to our 5th championship. We have won our 6th and 7th championship since he left so we don't miss him at all.

Brunson: You are a moron if you think that was a moving screen by Knight. The Cairns player was lucky to not get called for a flop.

Reply #618992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It couldn't of been more conclusive.

Reply #618994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I honestly don't know if i've seen an NBL game this year that I could say the reffing was good and had no howlers, they seriously need to change something it's getting ridiculous

Reply #618995 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

That was a poor play by Cotton.He never got head and shoulders ahead of Agent 99 so he made it easy for the no call,
Why wasn't he looking for the 3. Home court rub of the green. Perth should never have got themselves into that position.
Clears out top spot for Adelaide.
Sets up a dog fight for 4th spot.

Reply #618996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glesson presser; Ref adviser told Perth it was their ball

Reply #618997 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It was clearly off Weeks's foot, although Cotton may have touched it after that with his hand.

Gliddon was moving into McKay.

Can't really blame Gleeson for getting that technical; he's gotten away with it for three years now.

But how IN THE NAME OF HELL do you not foul with four seconds to go when you have the guy TRAPPED IN THE DAMN CORNER? There's four seconds to go, that's not time enough to gamble on an interception.

Reply #618998 | Report this post

kings fan  
Years ago

I hate perth and I thought they were pretty much bent over in the last minute

Reply #618999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This will be an interesting couple of days from the ref advisor telling Gleeson it was a cats ball.

Reply #619000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha rightio, a Cairns fan says "love me some Perth salt" so someone responds with "we've won 7 titles" and some other dickhead can only think to hate on the Perth fans in that exchange. Retarded.

Reply #619001 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

"Kingpodge mm I love some salt with our 7 championships. Tastes good" There is the exact reason why everyone hates Perth. Just saying

So annon are you saying we can't be proud of our history??? Sorry for being so successful.

Reply #619002 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Maybe if Perth play with that kind of speed and desperation for an entire game they might do a bit better.

They have the players to do it.

I love a good Perth bash as much as most people but they got multiple bad calls/no calls in a row on them.

Reply #619004 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Yeah to not foul in the last 4 seconds was a huge brain fart, it's like they gave up.

Reply #619005 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"It was clearly off Weeks's foot, although Cotton may have touched it after that with his hand."

Agreed, kr. I'm guessing he did, but I'm not sure.

Reply #619006 | Report this post

kings fan  
Years ago

People are making up the numbers this season. No one is beating Adelaide over a 3 game series. Lets not kid ourselves into believing otherwise.

Reply #619007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm far from any sort of conspiracy theorist and not saying anything suss is going on, but the amount of shit calls in every single game for every single team this year, + the way the NBL Media/Facebook page keeps advertising how amazingly close every game is, how tight the ladder is, how exciting the league is, etc...seems a little dodgy to me sometimes.

Reply #619008 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Clearly off Week's foot but to say that was a foul on Weeks, you've got to be kidding...........

But I'm going to attempt to lighten things up. For anyone who saw Gleeson's presser, why did he spend the whole time basically massaging his left pec/breast? "I don't know what to do with my hands.. "

Reply #619009 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Stevie Weigh was the top scorer for Cairns - how do you feel Cats fans?
Depends what you mean. Obviously we'd love to have him coming off the bench, backing up the 3 spot, and yeah tonight he would have started. But like so many, he thought he'd get better opportunities elsewhere.
Would we have wanted to keep Weigh instead of getting Ennis and Prather? Hell no.
End of the day, he's from NQ, so he's probably happiest at Cairns.

Reply #619010 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

People are making up the numbers this season. No one is beating Adelaide over a 3 game series. Lets not kid ourselves into believing otherwise.
Yeah, for all the talk about how close a league it's been this year...it's really a three-team playoff series and Adelaide should be heavy favourites.

Reply #619011 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Blaming the refs is a cop out, if we played the whole game like last two minutes then we would not have been in that position . Play with that intent the whole game and we don't have to worry about what the refs are doing.

The refs are making terrible calls every game, against both teams.

The fact remains our offensive output is crap, Cotton was supposed to be the answer to our outside woes, his 3 point shooting outside of his first game is horrible. He is 6 from 28 in 4 games.And that is going 3 of 4 in his first game.

Reply #619013 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Painful loss to Perth that might come back to night them if they miss the playoffs. Credit to Cairns though, they hit some big buckets - in particular Weeks. Losing Prather was always going to be a big obstacle but that was still a win Perth should of got.

Can't fault the efforts of Brandt, Hire, Wagstaff or Martin but Perths inability to hit the 3 is a serious problem. Redhage is a passenger this season and should voluntarily retire. Knight also looking like an 11th man.

The question needs to be asked though - What is up with the Wildcats? No excuses anymore this team needs to start putting up descent wins.

Reply #619014 | Report this post

Asics Gel  
Years ago

you're right @kings fan.
Hawks and Adelaide have played 3 times so far and Hawks lead 2-1.
Still one game to play at Illawarra.

Reply #619015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra Hawks and united are more than capable of matching the 36ers scoring and beating them over a 3 game or 5 game series

Reply #619016 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Refs have been consistently mediocre all season but it is what it is and you can't blame them for a teams loss. Players and coaches need to accept responsibility for their performances and fans need to deal with it.

Reply #619017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stream still going?????

Reply #619018 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

What is up with the Wildcats?
ROFL
We won 3 tough road games, against finals contenders, went down to the league leaders, and narrowly lost a tough road game two days later, without out best player.

Perth are going ok.

Looking forward to the rematch on Friday, but the trip to NZ is going to be a killer.

Reply #619019 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Great post Vic Wildcat.

koberulz I don't think Adelaide are heavy favourites. If Melbourne have their full team they are as good if not better than Adelaide. Adelaide are still yet to beat Illawarra in Illawarra. Adelaide have just been a lot more consistent with less injuries and less changing of players.

Reply #619020 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Perth drop to 5th
Depends on how you draw the ladder.
They may be 5th on wins, but MU and Sydney have played 2 & 3 games more.
NBL has the Cats 4th, by my reckoning, we're 3rd.

I'll be happy just to extend the streak.

Reply #619021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While Adelaide probably deserve to be favourites, Melbourne/Illawarra, probably Perth and maybe even Sydney/NZ to some extent could definitely still win imo. With how tight the league is and how up and down all teams have been who ever can get it together over these last handful of games, have momentum and can handle the pressure of playoffs will win it. Similar to how the AFL was, I Wouldn't be surprised if a team who finishes 3rd or even 4th wins it all.

Reply #619022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz I don't think Adelaide are heavy favourites. If Melbourne have their full team they are as good if not better than Adelaide. Adelaide are still yet to beat Illawarra in Illawarra. Adelaide have just been a lot more consistent with less injuries and less changing of players.

Adelaide have beaten every other team on their home court i don't think going to Wollongong in couple a weeks or in the finals if the two teams face each other is going to faze them.

Reply #619023 | Report this post

kings fan  
Years ago

Last time I checked Adelaide smashed the Hawks the last time they met.The two Hawks wins were when Adelaide was playing no where near the ball they are playing. If you think the Hawks are going to beat this Adelaide offence then good luck.

Reply #619025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne united are good but would seriously struggle to keep up on the Scoreboard with the Hawks or 36ers without Goulding scoring 20 plus points.

Reply #619026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding vs Sobey would be Flopplemania.

Reply #619027 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No one is a "heavy favourite" right now and there's a good reason for that. It has been that type of season.
Adelaide deserve to be favourites for sure, but they're paying $3.60 which is pretty long odds for the favourite team this late in a season. I'm sure there is a twist or two left over the next month.

As for a losing record in Wollongong, that's not really a huge obstacle if they finish in top spot with home court advantage, which looks likely.

Reply #619028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'll be happy just to extend the streak." Yes me too the losing streak

Reply #619029 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Those first two losses to the Hawks were against the 3-6 36ers not the same team who've since won 12 of their last 13 games.

Reply #619030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns fans celebrating the Cats losing more than their team winning says it all about being perennial losers.

Reply #619031 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Dazz - yes they lost against the best team in the league and a close one in Cairns but you have to admit - they are both games a finals contender should be winning. I'm as about as one eyed as a Cats supporter can be but you can't polish a turd and Perth should of got that win - even without Prather.

Reply #619033 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

F#co my brown dog! Like we have said let the players decide the game!

Reply #619034 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Delicious artisinal Western Australian salt. Keeping it coming, morgans...

Reply #619037 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Hahaha ^

THE BOYS! UP 'EM SNAKES

Reply #619038 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

See you next Friday ;)

Reply #619041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack Johnson...

Oh they did...

Must be smiling just quietly...

Reply #619042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This site would be dead without Wildcats games

Reply #619045 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Loving the sheer stupidity of some of the comments here.

Reply #619047 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Here is a Wildcats fan resigning to no finals this year. Not this team of fathers who lost their zest to play well.

Wish them early retirements.

Reply #619052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That may have been MacKays last game if his knee is gone

Reply #619054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic result. Lost some coin but has helped the 36ers chances even further. Really hope this sting for the cats fans sorry luuuc only decent type on here... but sthe rest can suck it.

Reply #619059 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wonder who told Trev to shut up? Very quiet until it mattered then he stuffed up with a tech. Must have been a change for the assistants to be able to talk to the head coach instead of listeneing to him bleat at refs. Perff really need to adjust their offense to suit Cotton a bit more. Each time he turns the corner the key is full of people.

Reply #619060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stupid is, as stupid does.

Reply #619061 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha Train, at this point I doubt any of us Orangemen give a flying f - - - about the remainder of our season. We know we're screwed.

We're cheering with nothing to lose.

Reply #619064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure dazz and in your world when suited last place is actually first. You are such a moron. Cats are out of the playoffs if it started today, breathe deep let the fear in. It's all coming crashing down this season.

Reply #619065 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If you're 9-11, you'd fancy your chances of stringing together a few wins and making a run for that 4th spot. Especially when you've got no less defeats than 3rd and 4th

Reply #619068 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Same dude, us Redmen are in the same boat! We are cheering for fuck all. We don't deserve to be in the finals. Until they pull there finger out of there arse it ain't gonna happen.

Think they thought they might stroll in the finals this year, but we are on life support and lucky for us other teams keep losing and that's the only reason we are still in with a chance to keep the streak alive.

Very unprofessional about the way they have gone about there business on and off the court this year. Team looks stale and over it. Need new blood to show a bit of passion.

Not saying cause we dropped two games, they have had double digits leads in a fair few games and just never went on to win a game comfortably.

Reply #619071 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Sure dazz and in your world when suited last place is actually first. You are such a moron. Cats are out of the playoffs if it started today, breathe deep let the fear in. It's all coming crashing down this season
See, this is what comes from smoking crack. Drugs are bad, people.

Reply #619074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being witty doesn't suit you Dazz. It's not looking good does it Dazz. Perth are shaky and it's great to see. A playoff series without you having any reason to start threads about the cats would be a dream. And of all teams to dominate you, the adelaide 36ers. Enjoy the salt.

Reply #619075 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Depends on how you draw the ladder.
They may be 5th on wins, but MU and Sydney have played 2 & 3 games more.
NBL has the Cats 4th, by my reckoning, we're 3rd.
How do you figure that?

Reply #619077 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"Wonder who told Trev to shut up?"

Anyone within shouting distance of him.

Reply #619078 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

What the Cats really needed in this one was a guy who could shoot the 3 at a good clip, was a proven game winner (preferably with a track record of winning at least a couple of games in the crunch with big shots) a guy who could easily cover for Prather's absence, an import preferably familiar with the team and the league, someone who could qualify for finals and was a free agent. Preferably a guy with a Dwayne Dubley haircut. But where could you find a player who was such a perfect fit for the team?

Reply #619079 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

*Dibbley

Reply #619081 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Third time lucky: Duane Dibbley

Stupid obscure references gone wrong.

Reply #619086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the refs get the same replays that home viewers do for the close call at the end, or have they got their own replay system?

Reply #619087 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I turned this game on with the pans up 12, a few minutes to go. I am still struggling to come to terms with the level of incompetence I saw after that. Perth were a little unlucky not to steal it, but 99.9 out of 100 times the team leading puts that away comfortably. Just take care of the ball and make them foul you for goodness sake. AND they were gifted a tech from Gleeson! Just all around weird end to the game.

Reply #619088 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Duane Dibbley references are not stupid!!

Reply #619091 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It was amazing how quickly Cairns went from absolutely rolling to choking, such a mental thing sport.

Must say though, it pretty much coincided with Weeks going out for Trice, Trav has such a low basketball IQ it's a stretch to call him a PG. He either needs to be on fire or he hurts them.

Reply #619092 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

CNS did excellent in the last few minutes and deserved to win. They actually controlled the ball quite well given the amount of fouling PER were (as usual) getting away with on the ball handler.

The Gleeson tech had no impact on the game. The one FT was missed and CNS had possession anyway.

The game felt like PER were playing with experimental lineups to see how they'd cope in the event of losing key players during finals. But then you realise that is their lineup and they are pretty pathetic outside their big three (Prather/Cotton/McKay). Martin is only effective if the refs continue to not call fouls against him, but he's such a liability on offence it negates a lot of his defensive work.

I feel sorry fro Brandt and DKD. They seem to be good, hard, honest players but I don't think the PER environment is great for them to develop. Hire and Wagstaff only know dirty and Gleeson is a flog.

Reply #619094 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"CNS did excellent in the last few minutes and deserved to win."

Cairns' last 2:30 - 0/3 field goals, 0/1 free throw, four turnovers and allowed Perth to score 10 points on 4/5 shooting, with their two turnovers on questionable calls.

I hate to seem the Taipans when they play bad in the final minutes Wilson!

Reply #619096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"but he's such a liability on offence"

He's actually not but when someone says Cairns played great at the end, their judgement isn't that good to begin with.

Reply #619097 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wilson, failing to inbound the ball within the required 5 seconds is NOT controlling the ball well. Cairns were completely out of control. I dislike Perth as much as the next guy, but they just played pretty tight defence those last couple of minutes and Cairns kept throwing it away.

Reply #619098 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, the Wildcats got away with a few fouls with their full-court pressure (last night was reffed very different to most games the past two months) but you've got to be able to play through a bit of contact without just burping the ball up.

Reply #619099 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

paul, you missed my caveat "They actually controlled the ball quite well given the amount of fouling PER were (as usual) getting away with on the ball handler."

xy, I agree the 5 second call was not good enough, but from my vantage point PER were clearly fouling the ball handler with their pressure D in the last few minutes. I actually thought they were deliberately fouling to start sending CNS to the FT line but the refs weren't calling any of it.

Anon, 0 points and 1 assist with 2 TO is a liability on offence.

Reply #619100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 turnovers in 26 minutes is not a liability.

Reply #619101 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Corban Wroe is a liability

Reply #619103 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wilson Stink displaying his great knowledge of the game. Should just post "I hate Perf" and shut up so not to look such a fool.

Reply #619104 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"paul, you missed my caveat."

No, I didn't, you have to be able to play through contact without burping the ball up on more than half your possessions.

Reply #619105 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Best team on the night won. End of story!
Suck it up furballs!

Reply #619121 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I picture I took at the game last night of Joe Blake holding out a giant novelty baby's dummy to Trevor Gleeson after the wildcats came out of a timeout in q4 is now my screensaver at work.

Reply #619126 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

This thread is magnificent.

Reply #619138 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

weigh averaging 8 nbl ppg and gets 19..
... you didn't know it...
you didn't think it could be done
but in the final end.. he won the game....

Reply #619160 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Cats are going through the motions right now, probably as result of so much success lately.

Expect them to sneak into the 4 and then turn it on properly come playoff time.

Reply #619185 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754