Anonymous
Years ago

Sports Broadcast rights structures

There's an article on the AFR today about how tennis Australia took on the production of the Aussie tennis tournaments away from the broadcasters and whilst it required more investment, they are now reaping the rewards.

Is this the same as the NBL structure. It sounds like a winery but is dependent on there being global demand for your product

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/how-tennis-australia-is-building-a-global-broadcasting-business-20170112-gtqnha

Topic #40678 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Thanks for the link, I find this interesting.

Tennis it's a good move to ensure a quality product is produced - not so much the Australian Open because Channel 7 put real effort into it, but the other tournaments. Controlling the way its made with the flexibility to maximise value to various markets is smart if you've got the capital behind you.

The NBL seem to be doing that as well. I do wonder a few things:

1. Cost for the NBL producing the product at the moment
2. The ratings being achieved on Fox Sports, SBS, NBLTV and the various Chinese/Indian iterations
3. Demand for advertising in various countries it is broadcasted into (again - Australia, China, India)

Out of interest, has anyone seen the bespoke Chinese graphics?

Gives me the opportunity to say this about the current NBL production which I was thissss close to making a thread about:

The product is starting to become very well produced. It is better than Fox Sports' last season imo. For those paying attention there has been constant development - we saw improvements to the graphics - the scoreboard graphic looks good now and the stats bar at the bottom is much more polished. The fixed the logo to look cleaner, they introduced other new graphics and using the 3D logos immersed over the court in a recent Hawks game like Channel 9 do with their graphics looked terrific.

They are starting to build a narrative, with footage from previous games nicely included into the coverage. Heritage round afforded them the opportunity to do it even better.

They just need to start doing more custom intros!

I love the inclusion of John Casey, about time. Speed and Papalia are decent commentators, I like Hudson (unlike many here...) and I don't mind Russell (even if enthusiastic). The colour commmentators in Carfino, Heal, Harvey works nicely. Would like to see every game include a sideline reporter whether it be Neroli Meadows (she's fantastic), Abbey Gelmi (developing nicely), Renae Ingles (where has she been?).

Reply #619093 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The 3D shot charts were awful. You're supposed to chroma key them so they look like they're actually on the floor, instead they floated above everything including the players.

Spider cam was a complete waste of time. Now we have heart rate monitors.

Is there nothing else this money could be spent on?

Reply #619174 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Is money being spent on them? eg. I would have thought that the heart rate stuff, being such a blatant promo for Catapult Sports, was probably a freebie.

Reply #619176 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Catapult thing maybe, but the others? It was odd that Catapult wasn't part of the graphic.

And is there nothing more useful the Catapult devices can do?

Reply #619177 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Stay tuned to the next telecast for more of its features? :p

Reply #619182 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I really like what they are doing with the broadcast. The NBL now presents as a professional sports league for anyone watching rather than a two-bit afterthought. I think it's of comparable quality to any sports league in Oz now.

Reply #619190 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Is that sarcasm Paul?
Tuning into a game, and listening to the commentators get miked up "can you hear me now?" presents as professional? Then there's the huge dead spots, where you just get a long distance shot of the court, and various background noise.

Then there's the basic streaming problems.
It seems those streaming a low-res version to their phones have no problem, but if you try to stream to a TV or even PC, its often rubbish.

Reply #619196 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

One funny thing I've noticed at Cats games:
Long before we got this version of NBL TV, and before we got Foxtel, the Cats had their own media department. Roaming around with wireless cameras, and using fixed cameras to feed the big screen. I now recognise many of the same guys, doing the same job, but now wearing an NBL vest.

Reply #619197 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The top pic is what I mean about the 3D graphics. I love it.

On the 3D logo stuff, they seem to have done a proper logo 3D for each club which look great, and alternative 3D logos which look average-terrible.

You can see the change in scoreboard graphics, they resized it smaller (thankfully), got rid of the LED clock (obviously an idea that didn't quite work out in practice) and coloured the logo (making it look significantly nicer). They've also added the stats bar which is nicely done and better then the previous stats bar using "Pts - #"

NZ use a slightly altered version for some reason with the logo still looking bad, graphic too big and different style background for teams. Any idea why? What happened to consistency?

At the bottom there you see the Chinese bespoke graphics...they uploaded the Chinese version instead of the English one on NBLTV.

Reply #619198 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is that sarcasm Paul?
Tuning into a game, and listening to the commentators get miked up "can you hear me now?" presents as professional? Then there's the huge dead spots, where you just get a long distance shot of the court, and various background noise.
Maybe try watching what's actually broadcasted?

The top pic is what I mean about the 3D graphics. I love it.
What does it add to the broadcast?

Reply #619209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the spider cam, it just needs to be used in the right situations. I noticed they only just started using it in the English premier league (again next used when behind the player taking a shot). I think it's a good signal of the investment in our broadcasting that we have World class technology at use

Reply #619211 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Professional aesthetics obviously

Reply #619213 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Tuning into a game, and listening to the commentators get miked up "can you hear me now?" presents as professional? Then there's the huge dead spots, where you just get a long distance shot of the court, and various background noise."

Those bits aren't on the TV broadcast Dazz!!

Reply #619222 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Professional aesthetics obviously
But would you miss it if it wasn't there? I imagine it's an expensive process, there are better things to be spending money on than something that adds nothing to the broadcast.

Particularly given that they tried to use it for shot charts later and it looked absolutely awful.

Reply #619281 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

something that adds nothing to the broadcast

Refer back to: Professional aesthetics

Someone needs to reset Kobe, he's stuck on one issue that he can't process other thoughts.

Reply #619284 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Kobe, just give yourself a couple taps across the back of the head. Should do the trick.

Reply #619286 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

KR, take a deep breath and go sit in a corner for 60 seconds.

Then come back and recommence hoops discussion.

Reply #619298 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Refer back to: Professional aesthetics
Are you saying there aren't professional aesthetics without that gimmick?

Reply #619329 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's not how the English language works.

Can we turn Kobe off until there's a quality software upgrade available? It seems to have too many glitches!

Reply #619332 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Kobe, it ADDS to the production's professionalism. Sports coverage continually builds on itself, you're smart enough to know that the NBL product needs to be added to or it will be left behind. Same as any sport m8ey.

Reply #619358 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

New ideas, technologies, designs are tried out on a continual basis. Is there something wrong with that in your eyes?

Reply #619359 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kobe, it ADDS to the production's professionalism.
How have all the other games looked any less professional than the one game where they used this tech? If anything, the other games looked more professional, because the shot charts were an absolute disaster.

It's not something anybody will miss, or even think about, if it's not there. It adds nothing.

New ideas, technologies, designs are tried out on a continual basis. Is there something wrong with that in your eyes?

Priorities.

Reply #619388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754