40th Street Black
Years ago

'86 Sixers Vs '98 Sixers

Who would win if these two championship teams played each other?

Al Green
Mark Davis
Dayrl Pearce
Bill Jones
Mike McKay
Dwayne Nelson
Ray Wood
Peter Ali
David Spear
Scott ninnis
Peter Sexton

Dean Brogan
John Rillie
Brett Maher
Kevin Brooks
Martin Cattalini
Darnell Mee
David Stiff
Mark Davis
Rupert Sapwell
Paul Rees
Paul Bauer
Jason Williams

My choice is the 1998 team.
Deeper bench e.g
Stiff Vs Ali
Mark Davis/Rees Vs Dwayne Nelson
Sapwell Vs Wood
Spear Vs Williams/Bauer

The 1998 team are more versatile in that several players can play the 1 - 4 spots and most can all both face the basket and post up.

Defensively they are close, Bill Jones and Mark Davis were a tough tandem.
But Darnell Mee is one of the best defenders ever to play NBL would have to call it evens there.

Rupert Sapwell's 3 pt bank shots Vs Peter Ali line drive bank shots, gotta go with Saps'.

Thoughts?

Topic #4068 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

24-2 season record shows how dominante the 86 team was.

Reply #47341 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I want to see M. Davis vs the Chairman of the Boards...

The game got more professional and faster over the intervening period, but in terms of ranking them against the rest of the competition, the '86 team was much better. Probably should have won more than one championship during this period.

Sixers were far from favourites for the crown in '98.

Reply #47345 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

gotta give it to the 86 team and im sure the 98 team could take the loss on the chin (especially with Brogan playing)

Reply #47350 | Report this post

40th Street Black  
Years ago

Yes Kent I know that '86 were a dominant team with an impressive record but if they played each other, who would win?

Reply #47352 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

98 sixers would be fitter,faster and phil would out coach ken cole(?)

Mee V Green
Maher V Pearce
Ninny V Rillie

Would be a great game!

Reply #47353 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

86 team for mine.

4 olympians, 5 Boomers and Al,Pudd and Dwayne at the height of their careers.

It would be a great match up put the 86 team would win purely based on the power of the MD moustache.

Reply #47354 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I don't think the 98 team would have the defense inside the paint to stop the 86 side - Brooksy (love ya game) but his D was far from great inside.

Just to stir up a bit of controversy - would the Sixers have won if they faced the tigers inthe finals in 98? I'm pretty sure they beat us convincingly in all the regular season clashes.

Sixers hit some great form at the right time of the year.

86 were unstopable pretty much from 85!!! And your right they should have got a couple of championships in that era.

Reply #47355 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

86 gets my vote.

I think that Ken Cole has actually been on this forum and talked about how he was disappointed that the Sixers didn't achieve the dynasty they should have. Just found the post from a couple of months ago:

The best 36ers moment was when, for the first time EVER in the NBL, our team - the 36ers - walked to the middle of the court at the Apollo congratulated ourselves and then turned and thanked the crowd with all players applauding the spectators for their support.

While that is now common practice in the League, it was a spontaneous gesture that I asked the team to perform and I think was a memorable moment in Australian basketball.

Re - Moses - If it were not for the incredble actions of the then Chairman (1986) I believe Adelaide would have dominated the NBL for the next decade and won at least 7 of the next 10 Championships. Remember our 1986 team won every game by an average of 20 points. Every game was sold out, the fans were sensational, and we had juniors such as Mark Bradke still in the wings. It was the most exciting period in the history of Australian basketball and that edition of the 36ers would still be a dominant power today.

I certainly miss and love the fans in Adelaide and all of my former players. There are many other memorable moments I would love to share. However the one I mention above probably epitomises the respect and relationship of that team and the fans in Adelaide.
Ken Cole (San Diego)

Reply #47358 | Report this post

40th Street Black  
Years ago

Ken Cole in his stetson Vs Phil Smyth and the comb over?

Ken would have partied a helluva lot harder than Phil after the win.

Reply #47359 | Report this post

40th Street Black  
Years ago

Who was the Chairman in '86 that Ken talks about?

Was it Richardson?

(No it wasn't Mark Davis)

Reply #47360 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Courtesy of DJ, here's a photo of the 86 team:

Also, here's the story of that championship and boxscores from the finals games.

Content from DJ's Sixers Lounge archives.

Check out the box from that first game against Brisbane, Mark Davis and Bill Jones combined for 68 points and 40 rebounds.

Reply #47362 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

i d like to know who he is referring to aswell..
What was the controversy?

Reply #47363 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Some other interesting stats

Game 1
Leroy 38 pts @74% including 30 in the second half and 6 blocks!

Sixers going 2/17 3pg and still winning?

Game 2
Darryl Pearce going for 18 2q pts.

Game 3
Sixers 33-15 final q
Pudd 25 boards 12 offensive

Reply #47367 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

That Bullets team had some names as well:

Leroy Loggins
Larry Sengstock
Cal Bruton
John Dorge

Cal Bruton with two 30+ point games was a pretty good effort!

Reply #47384 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

The controversy related to Ken smoking marijuana in the presence of the team, with Ken Cunningham also involved (not smoking, but in the reporting of).

Lots of rumours but in the end, the board sacked Ken Cole during the finals (what the!) and ignored the fact that with him, the team was unstoppable. Without him (Gary Fox arrived - good coach, but Coley had "it"), they became just another good team.

Reply #47402 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Isaac - where is that post from Ken Cole?

Reply #47403 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Topic: Your best 6ers moment!

Look down the bottom for post #37254.

Reply #47407 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Damn, hadn't seen that. It's been 19 years, Ken. If you're out there - start naming names and telling the real story!

Reply #47429 | Report this post

Years ago

Just a few changes to the original post regarding the 98 team:
Stiff did not come to the following season (98-99) replacing Rillie.
Ninnis was in the 10 with Williams, Bauer making up the 12, and Jared Wilson also part of the squad.
And for what its worth the 98 team would win by plenty.

Reply #47460 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

who was the assistant coach? wasn't he pretty good?

Reply #47465 | Report this post

Years ago

Richard Orlick

Reply #47493 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Williams wasn't in the ten, he only played one match that year. The ten were:

• Starting 5: Mee, Maher, Catt, Brooks, Rees.
  • Bench: Rillie, Sapwell, Ninnis, Davis, Brogan.

Williams and Bauer make up the 12 with Jared Wilson.

Rillie wasn't in great form for a lot of the year getting maybe his only DNP-CD of his career.

Reply #47500 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

In his last year at the Sixers, Rillie shot at a poor 27% from outside.

Like so many others, Rillie waited until he left before he became really good!

The following year he stroked it at 47% and went from 9 and 4 a game to 17 and 7.

In his defence, I guess he didn't have the same opportunities in the Sixers in their championship year, but nice timing to become a dominant force in the league - ouch!

Reply #47528 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Jarod Wilson wasnt part of the Sixers in 98 (maybe training fodder? - but i think it was the following year)

He played his first NBL game in the 1999/2000 season and even then he wasnt part of the 10.

Reply #47533 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

And re the 1986 team - Scott Ninnis wasn't in the "team". He was the #11, with Mark Sykes as #12.

Reply #47731 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It's funny how we won by an average of 20points and the two(2) losses were both time clock errors, in '86.

(The late 80s were kinda considered the glory days)

Reply #268630 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:23 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754