Train
Years ago

Wildcats sign Mason Bragg for 2 more seasons

"The Perth Wildcats have secured the services of exciting young gun Mason Bragg, as the club looks to inject youth and depth to its roster looking ahead.

Bragg's new contract will see him remain a Wildcat for a further two seasons following the current NBL campaign - with a club option at the end of the 2017/18 season.

The Wildcats are focused on sustaining the club’s history of success by maintaining a constant retooling phase.

Trevor Gleeson said the lightning fast 23-year-old has a big future.

"He’s got great tenacity out there. He’s still raw, but he plays at a level which could send him in another direction," he said.

“We can see the potential in him, I think he has a bright future, and I hope he’s a Wildcat for a long time."

With injuries to Wildcats point guards Damian Martin and Jarrod Kenny, Mason Bragg has played 10 games so far in the current season.

Bragg became a fan favourite quickly after his debut in November – the Red Army appreciating his gutsy style of basketball.

He’s scored 21 points, shooting at 43%, and racked up seven assists and 11 rebounds.

Under current NBL rules, the 23-year-old will be eligible to remain a development player next season, and will need to vie for a contract position in 2018/19.

Mason Bragg is from Burnie, Tasmania, and was recruited from the NW Tasmanian Thunder."

Topic #40686 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

When did he last step on the court?

Reply #619322 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

He was an injury replacement for Martin. His last game was vs Hawks a few weeks ago.

Reply #619323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wildcats are making a tradition of signing point guards that can't shoot to save their lives. robbins martin wroe and bragg.

Reply #619324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i should of also included beal lol

Reply #619326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now cut Wroe and give Bragg some minutes! I seriously don't see why they didn't give him some pre cotton/damo being back. He was pretty impressive when he stepped on the court, provided a spark we lacked and the fans loved him.

Reply #619327 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

You cannot re-insert a player that was brought in on the injury replacement for any other player (unless you are like MU and have an exemption granted by the league).

Walker covered Knight.
Bragg covered Martin.

Unless either of these two go down with an injury in the run home, you won't see Walker or Bragg on the floor for the reminder of the 2016/17 season.

Reply #619330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All this means is Bragg will still be a DP next season.

Wildcats media machine making it sound like a signing, when really it is just a positive news piece for the club between before their next game.

Reply #619331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Bragg signed as a DP originally?

Reply #619333 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Jackson Hussey was signed as injury replacement. Mason Bragg was signed as a DP

Reply #619335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wildcats media machine making it sound like a signing, when really it is just a positive news piece for the club between before their next game."

I hate when clubs do this! Especially between before games!

Reply #619336 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

I retract my comment then!

Reply #619338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will we see Bragg somewhere in the SBL?

Reply #619342 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Gotta cut Wroe for sure. Hasn't done anything of importance this season.

Reply #619346 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Bragg is a DP.
Not 100% clear on the rules, but I think it is that we can play any one DP in any game, then there are two(?) DPs who are nominated as injury replacements and can play any game in place of a regular player. I would imagine our nominated DP's would be Wroe and Vague. (And I think that if required, the NBL will allow you to nominate more DPs to cover injuries.)
NB: They remain DPs, and so are not subject the rules regarding replacing players with an LTI.

Yeah, its just a bit of fill-in news, still its nice to know. Often we don't really know who all the DP's are, or what their contract status is.

This is Wroe's last season as a DP (unless the rules are changed again.) So I'd suggest he's being given the (extremely limited) opportunity to show that he's worth a senior role. He was promising last season, but so far I just don't see it. Problem is now that he's just not going to get enough minutes, unless Perth is mopping the floor with the opposition.
But you never know, if we drop back to 2 imports, some team, somewhere, might offer him an 11th man spot.

Reply #619349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THanks Dazz for explaining exactly what you clearly don't? know about the situation.

Reply #619350 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

yeah, thanks Anonymous, without people like you I would never get to use the term "Masturbating Fuckwit."

Reply #619351 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Wroe struggles in the SBL. No idea how he keeps getting NBL minutes

Reply #619360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The expert at it too Dazz. Taught by the Master Bater.

Reply #619367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is fast but terrible shot. You need development players that can show scoring smarts early on. The best teams these days seem to have the most potent offense, and multiple people who can light up a 3. (cats not one of those)

Cats scoring this season been terrible. Hopefully a clean out of some of this seasons dead wood and they bring some proper australian young talent that can hit the ground running.

Reply #619369 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Wroe struggles in the SBL. No idea how he keeps getting NBL minutes
Wroe's not a high scorer. I think the Cats had hope that he'd become another Martin, or at least another Robbins. But I feel he'd need to do more than he's currently able.

Reply #619370 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Kenny can't shoot either.

Chill out Dazz. No point letting people rile you up so easily mate.

Reply #619372 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

The cats should've kept Mathiang Muo. He could shoot!

Reply #619379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love when Dazz gets fired up

Reply #619380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz deactivate

Reply #619381 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Agree about needing to lock in some good young aussie talent. Kernich-Drew looks like a real gem they should be securing long term

Reply #619384 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Kenny can shoot reasonably, he's just very selective.

Bragg's accuracy is reasonable at this point. I think he's something like 42%, but it's his 3-point shooting that drags that down (fits in real well at the Cats.)

Reply #619439 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

His effective range extends as far out as a layup from what I've seen, though admittedly it is a small sample size. But he definitely needs to learn to shoot if he wants anything more than a minor role.

Reply #619462 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754