Years ago

So much for the coup of signing Beal. Great signing Andre

Reply #619981 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #619982 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Good move. Let Kendle play. He will be of more use, esp. if he can get his 3 ball going.

Reply #619984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's been poor.

This gives the opportunity to give more minutes to kendle.

Reply #619986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Says a lot about him if they're willing to release him with all the injuries and troubles they've had lately.

Reply #619988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed.
Is Beal done in the NBL? You would have to think so the way he has gone this season.

Reply #619989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if he can get naturalised, do you think there will be a spot for him in this league next year? As inconsistent as he can be, the guy can play, for the right contract as an Aussie he could be valuable. But not sure if any teams would want that attitude he seems to have atm.

Reply #619990 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You can give Kendle more minutes by benching Beal, you don't have to sack him. Brisbane are out of the playoff race, and have played 23 games so they can't replace him anyway.

Must be pretty bad.

Reply #619991 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

Inside word was the cat didnt re sign him purely due too off court issues. Word has it he would be on road trips and go out at night on his Tinder dates. Nothing wrong with that, but I am sure that breaks team rules, but being a star player, they let him get away with it, Brisbane, didnt let him get away with it and it was costing the team.

Reply #619992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He went to shit this year and parts of last season. Not surprised just few bad for the Brisbane fans injuries have decimated a pretty balanced looking roster.

Reply #619996 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

My Multi with United 11+ likes this.

Reply #619997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You can give Kendle more minutes by benching Beal, you don't have to sack him. Brisbane are out of the playoff race, and have played 23 games so they can't replace him anyway."

And what would be the benefit of having him sit on the bench the rest of the season? As you say, they're out of the play-off race, there's no future for you together, you may as well cut ties now.

There doesn't always have to be more than meets the eye. He's been playing very poorly, the team is out of contention, and they want to move on. Best for both parties you would think.

Reply #619998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah was just the right time to cut ties. Looking into it any further is odd. If he was producing and got cut then yeah maybe he has done something stupid... like snapchat something inappropriate ;)

Reply #619999 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Build towards the next season.

Reply #620000 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

I guess Wildcats were justified to release Beal last year but could not elaborate for professionalism.

Reply #620004 | Report this post

Well i guess that answers my question in the ADL v BRIS thread from Thursday night. Terrible attitude and body language and almost had to be begged to come on to the floor that night. This news is hardly a surprise given that display.

Reply #620013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't they have to pay out his contract anyway? Why not keep and bench him?

Reply #620015 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Well Cats still got 2 flags out of him and a finals MVP

Reply #620016 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Wouldn't they have to pay out his contract anyway? Why not keep and bench him?

Yes they would have to pay him out for the rest of this season and as he had an option for next season probably even part of next season too.

Have you considered his attitude was that poor Lemanis didn't want it spreading too far into the rest of the team? They might be out of the playoffs but this is their first year back in the league and they need to try and make every post a winner.

Beal's attitude was very poor in the Adelaide game and to be honest I thought they held on to him too long. I would've shown him the door around mid-season.

Reply #620019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like holding onto Rashad Tucker for too long. "Professionalism" what a lame excuse.

Reply #620021 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Ah Dolla, he just didn't click at Brisbane. Let's all remember what he will be known for i.e. this 40-point effort

Reply #620022 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And what would be the benefit of having him sit on the bench the rest of the season? As you say, they're out of the play-off race, there's no future for you together, you may as well cut ties now.

There doesn't always have to be more than meets the eye.
The benefit is having an extra body, and not dealing with cutting a guy mid-season.

I wouldn't say there's necessarily more than meets the eye, in that his attitude met a lot of eyes in Adelaide, but it must be more frequent/severe than that one game to get him cut.

Reply #620023 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The timing is curious, but Brissy appear to be out of the finals race, so this does give them the opportunity to give more minutes to others, further their development, and make evaluations pending next season.

It MIGHT also save them some money, depending on how the system works.
Presumably they will have a contractual obligation to pay-out Beal. However since he is nolonger on the roster, may he nolonger counts towards the cap???

Sad to see him go, was always a favourite, but has become increasingly inconsistent.

Reply #620024 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why would it matter whether he counts against the cap? They can't replace him.

Reply #620026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why can't they replace him?

Reply #620027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its another example of players particularly the imports being the scapegoat when the team is playing poorly, instead of the coach taking at some blame.

The 3 import rule has hurt imports like beal who need the ball in his hand regularly to play consistent good basketball but he plays less minutes and therefore doesn't score enough to avoid being sacked.

IMO there are a few other coaches like lemanis need to take blame of their team losing record or missing out on the finals.

Although I don't think there will be any coaches getting the sack at the end of the season, there surely should be at least 2 who should step down because of their inability to get the best of team and not making the finals.

Reply #620031 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Beal has never played "consistent good basketball"

With the talent Perth had they could carry him an live on the memory of his lucky chucking days.

Very limited player.

Reply #620033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal had the ball in his hand in the two previous games with Brisbane a big shot to win both and two of the dumbest plays I've ever seen, he's had a shit year time to move him on.
Imports also cost more dollars than Aussies, don't perform out the door, that's business.

Reply #620034 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

@Koberstalker, as I said it MIGHT save them a bit of money.

Reply #620037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome Dazz is here. And he and koberulzzzzz are going at it! Yay it's a cats thread officially.

Reply #620038 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Teams can't add players once they have played 75% of their games, ie they have to add them before they play game #21. As an example, that's why Cairns were so quick to add Mitchell, their 21st game was last night. Brissy played their 21st game last week.

Reply #620039 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They've played more than 21 games.

Reply #620040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks guys I thought that rule was just about qualifying for finals

Reply #620044 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

If Beal was desperate to remain in the country, you couldn't discount him on his time with Brisbane. I don't know the full story of what went on in Brisbane but he was valuable as a championship player for Perth.

Reply #620045 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure it is. It's neither here nor there really but I think they cam sign an import to replace Beal but if they made the playoffs it would be too late for that import to qualify to play.

Regardless they're signing a development player when he returns from college this week as his replacement.

Reply #620047 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure it is
No, two separate rules. Team must have played less than 75% of its games to add any player. Then, a player must play at least 25% to qualify for the finals.
So, again with my example. Cairns HAD to sign Mitchell BEFORE last nights game (#21)
now on the off chance they make the finals, he would have to play in 7 of the last 8 games (now 6 of the last 7) to qualify for finals.

Reply #620049 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Regardless they're signing a development player when he returns from college this week as his replacement.
No, he would already be signed as a DP, but at the moment he is "VISITING colleges" but will suit up when he comes back.

Reply #620051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The benefit is having an extra body, and not dealing with cutting a guy mid-season."

You'd rather cut a guy mid season and deal with it once rather than have people wondering what is going on seeing him on the bench not to mention the strange atmosphere within team practices and activities

Reply #620078 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Depends also on the reasons behind the sacking. Even if its purely down to poor on-court performances, it might be better to show others that players not performing to expectations will be dealt with, rather than just watching him good off for the rest of the season.

At this point, Lemanis has made it clear they are looking to the future and next season.

Reply #620099 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

He was a petulant little arse in Perth by all accounts so I don't doubt he was exactly the same in Brisbane too. Lemanis is all about team culture and wouldn't have stood for it.

Sad when an obviously talented player goes off the rails like this, but good decision by Brisbane.

Reply #620132 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

I will miss his direct and to the point media interviews

Reply #620158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a fan of the character assassinations after the fact. Gleeson was lemanis' assistant in the national team so even though they are competitors I'm sure lemanis would've asked Gleeson for a character reference before he signed him.

From what I've seen of Beal for the past couple of months, there's more than enough evidence that his on court performance was the source of his downfall. NBL stats aren't the easiest thing to retrieve but I'm pretty sure his numbers make for atrocious reading of late.

Reply #620165 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Beal 2016-17:

23g 11.2p, 2.5r, 2.1a, 37.1% FG, 31.2% 3pts

http://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/5/Australian-NBL/stats

Reply #620168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's been in the country a while now, perhaps he should look to sign with a SEABL team in order to remain in the country and get citizenship.

He'd be good in the NBL as an Australian player off the bench to run the offense with the second unit.

Reply #620170 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Depends on what offers he can get now.
I don't know if being sacked by two NBL teams would make him too eager to hang around Aus in hopes of playing for a 3rd?
He'll probably try and pick up gigs in some of the lesser leagues around the world. Hanging around to get naturalised, so he can come off the bench on low dollars for some random team, doesn't sound like much of a career prospect.

Reply #620175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth didn't sack him

Reply #620179 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

From what I've seen of Beal for the past couple of months, there's more than enough evidence that his on court performance was the source of his downfall.
You don't get sacked 23 games into the season based purely on on-court performance.

Hanging around to get naturalised, so he can come off the bench on low dollars for some random team, doesn't sound like much of a career prospect.
He and his family are apparently quite fond of Australia, so he might see it as worthwhile to stick around.

Reply #620189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes although it might not seem quite as worthwhile if his value drops too far

Reply #620193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travelling inside and out of the country on a regular basis doesn't make you a candidate for naturalising.

Reply #620194 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He's a professional basketballer, with a limited window to earn semi-decent money, before trying to start another career.
People are saying "he'd be great to have coming off the bench as an Aussie," so sure, but how much is that going to pay. Australia is NOT a cheap place to live. If you're an Aussie who is only good enough to play SBL and come of the bench in the NBL, you do it because you've got no better options, and you hope you'll be good at selling real-estate.

Reply #620218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You don't get sacked 23 games into the season based purely on on-court performance."

Why not?

Especially when the team is out of play-off contention and you're probably on a one-year contract and the team has seen enough that they know you won't be a part of future plans.

Reply #620240 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Because there's no point going through the hassle given you can't replace him. And it's not like he's been great at any point this year.

Reply #620501 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I'm sure the on court performance from Beal was a factor but it isn't the sole reason behind the sacking.

Reply #620631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL statement coming this week?

Reply #620633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course he can be replaced.

Reply #620637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He probably ran out of Brisbane girls to keep him busy, same as in Perth.

Reply #620641 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

I thought Beal has a partner/wife and a child?

Reply #620643 | Report this post

And a whole packet of crumpets on the side?

Reply #620660 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Beal did have a partner and at least one child. The impression I got was that they were meeting up for holidays, but hadn't permanently accompanied him. Probably difficult when pro-ball moves him around so much.

For those perpetuating allegations about his relationships, I would note that such things would be highly unlikely to effect on-court performance, and equally unlikely to lead directly to his sacking from two teams.

End of the day, his on-court performances became inconsistent at Perth. He'd have some great games, followed by some where he just couldn't find the hoop. He won 2 'ships for us, so that's still pretty impressive, but Perth thought they could do better. Ancient History now. At Brissy he did not perform to expectations. You can speculate that there may have been off-court behaviour driving that, but I still think the bottom line is that he was judged on performance.

Reply #620679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz. Do some research into Rashad Tucker and the come back and apologise. Yet another guess from Dazz.

Reply #620683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

strange you say that dazz considering you previously posted this
''There were rumours about Beal, including supposed reasons for some of his "off" nights.''

Reply #620694 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

strange you say that dazz considering you previously posted this
''There were rumours about Beal, including supposed reasons for some of his "off" nights.''

Sorry if I have been unclear, and that appears inconsistent.

To be honest, I regret repeating those rumours. Beal was a champ for us, and I'm sad for him that he's been let go again.

But allow me to clarify, and at this point I'm talking hypothetically.
A player could boff every skank in Brissy, and STILL turn up to play. Fact is you could be engaged in all many of illegal activities, and it wouldn't necessarily effect your performance. You could be robbing grog shops in your spare time, and still be a shit-hot baller.

On the other hand, you could be a perfectly normal bloke, enjoy a few cold bevies with your mates, but if you overindulged and stayed out late the night before a big game, that could easily effect your on-court performance.

Reply #620697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Because there's no point going through the hassle given you can't replace him. And it's not like he's been great at any point this year."

What hassle? Public seem to be accepting of this decision as it makes sense. Hassle has amounted to one brief media release.

And whilst he can't be replaced by another import, it does open more time for guys they are interested in having a look at, without the real *hassle* of trying to explain in press conferences and interviews "why is Beal on the bench?"

Reply #620703 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What hassle? Public seem to be accepting of this decision as it makes sense. Hassle has amounted to one brief media release.
Pretty sure you can't terminate a contract just by issuing a press release saying you're doing so.

Reply #620712 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:04 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754