Roofman
Years ago

Ways to improve NBL refereeing standards

I'm interested in seeing people's suggestions for improving refereeing standards in the NBL and Australian basketball generally because this is a common gripe from many on this forum and when watching basketball in Australia generally (currently back home but live overseas). I do know that informed people gripe about this also, so I know that there are some issues with the way the game is called generally in Australia and in the NBL in particular. What do people think about the following:

1. Get a retired ex-NBA referee to spend perhaps one month (or better a full season) to work with the NBL, the referees supervisor and lower tier referees also, to overhaul how things are currently done here, perhaps starting with a week long clinic which could be streamed if people can't attend. That way, some of the existing bugbears like not protecting players enough in the air and hand checking (yes, really, I watch the Perth Wildcats handcheck and be handchecked without sufficient punishment) can be ironed out. I'm thinking of someone like Ronnie Nunn, who has done this for many years in Europe and helped overhaul the way the game is called there, so that there is consistency of refereeing and common sense to calling the game, even in smaller non-traditional countries.

2. Some sort of referee exchange program between different countries and leagues. I think initially this should be a pre-season event, because I can imagine the outcry if we brought over a foreign referee who made blunders in a playoff series, but this is becoming a regular event in football (soccer) and I'm sure we could learn from the outside as they can learn from us. Of course, there are issues in communication (if from a non-English speaking country), interpretations (that's why I suggest pre-season), who pays the wages and more, but I feel the more interchange in our sport at all levels, the better overall standards are.
As a point of comparison, here is the link to the Japan Football Association referee exchange home page (which conduct exchanges with the A-League amongst others):
http://www.jfa.jp/eng/referee/exchange/

and the A-League page:
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/ffa-jfa-referee-exchange-program-continues/1sv4un9mpsaiq1n66vq0nyymjn

In addition to matches, if football referees can train with full time professionals, review matches and attend conferences in other countries, why not basketball? And yes, I think the NBA or other foreign leagues WOULD be open to this as they receive as many complaints about performance as we do from stakeholders.

Topic #40722 | Report this topic

AKA  
Years ago

Before any of those valid suggestions are implemented they need the league to get to a point where the officiating team are full time and perhaps even a cadetship program to entice up and coming refs to pursue it as a genuine career. This part time gig is, not surprisingly, providing ref's which aren't wholly engaged a this isn't there main source of revenue and they are aware that they can't lose their job as there is no secondary level ready to step up.

Reply #620674 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Some good points worth thinking about.

Anything which can fix up my main bug-bears is a winner for me, which are:
- parochialism - too many refs are intimidated by the home crowd, or provide 'home cooking'
- inconsistent calling of simple issues, such as hand-checking, charging, bullocking into stationary players, not letting a player in the air land, over-the-top coaching and criticism from players
- uncertainty around who should call what, so that all areas of the court and rule-book are covered
- make up calls instead of just reversing the call when thy make mistakes
- too much calling on 'feel' or advantage rather than by the rules

Reply #620677 | Report this post

Roofman  
Years ago

AKA, as a point of comparison, our closest competitors in the A-League (truly global sport, best refs 'supposedly' on other continents, transition from part time to full time refs, players, coaches etc), now employ a whopping three full-timers, having appointed Shaun Evans last year.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/shaun-evans-named-as-full-time-professional-referee/127rvko69oakm1rhvbve69ptzz

At that level, there is no reason why the NBL can't do the same for exchanges etc, although I definitely like the idea of a cadetship program.

Hoopie, I like consistent guidelines so that, for instance, what constitutes a tech foul for dissent is the same anywhere, we eliminate the dreadup 'make up' call, advantage (or lack of it) is the same everywhere, even if we have to follow the rugby union universal guideline of a 'free hit' for the attacking team when the defending team infringes.

Reply #620678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't have enough highly credentialed ex players coming trough junior ranks.

Say if a player has retired after playing state league etc and never reffed before, are they expected to green shirt at domestic level or are they fast tracked?

Reply #620680 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

1) The Refs need to be made independent. Too many instances where its blatantly obvious that instructions have come down from Lazza & Jezza. It's not the AFL. Rules are set by FIBA, we should just stick to those, and hence no need for the NBL to interfere.

2) Refs need to be made accountable. There needs to be a transparent review process, Refs need to be assessed on their performance, and remedial action taken where necessary. This old-school notion that officials are treated like demigods needs to go.

3) The attitude of Refs needs to change. If they make a mistake, admit it, change the call, and move on. If one ref makes the wrong call, the other two should overrule.

4) Refs need to be either miked up, or have an official announcer at the desk to broadcast the call. Fans get pissed when they don't know what's going on. If it was announced "that basket doesn't count because the refs called an off the ball foul on player X, for blocking player Y, before the shot was made" then fans would be a lot less livid.

5) Introduce a "4th Ref" Sitting in a video booth with a video-tech, big screens, and multiple feeds, in radio-contact with the floor refs.

Reply #620693 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Professional refs would need to be 12 months full time, that means doing WNBL, SEABL male and female, local state leagues, occasional interstate travel to do a week in VBA , SBL (WA) etc.

There would need to be a realistic possibility of a long and financially acceptable career , this means a 10-15 year commitment by the employer and the employee.

The NBL , the WNBL and several of the state and regional associations have not coped well financially over that length of time, and several have been in administration and/or bankrupt in that length of time

This would need financial buy in from state and local associations to an entity that would reasonably expect to outlive all of them. That probably means BA, and they often sink to the level of incompetency where couldn't manage to tie their own shoelaces.

Fiba Oceania or Asia set up a pro refereee management/development/education group ? - now they could probably do it administratively, but would they do it for the privately owned NBL - or would the privately owned NBL accept the services from referee who answered to some other body - I doubt it.

Reply #620695 | Report this post

Roofman  
Years ago

Very old, from what I gleaned, A-League referees don't referee in other leagues (glad to be proven wrong). If referees were to say referee women's competitions, would this affect their ability to officiate in men's competitions given men's comps require faster decision making because of the athleticism and speed of execution of play? I don't know, just throwing that out.

At pre-season level I can't see why referee exchange would be problematic- you're not playing for sheep stations, and LK and co are trying to forge links with foreign leagues, so why would there be any politics involved in this? It worked elsewhere (international cricket another example).

Reply #620699 | Report this post

jimjim  
Years ago

Have been thinking about the feasibility of an exchange program or sabbatical for a while, though I do think there is potential for conflict. Imagine if the Aussie ref cost the home team the game? haha

I wondered if we could send refs to US college exhibition games, or possibly a training program (if they exist). I thought it might be easier/cheaper in an 'amateur' league.

Can we send some commentators for internships as well?

Does anyone know what level of budget the NBL has for refs? To what extent do NBL refs rotate between states?

Though not really a development issue, I would like to see some analysis of miscalls, broken down by venue, match up, and ref (though I doubt that be published). It would be nice to have some evidence behind all the banter.

Reply #620700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Currently 1 ref a year goes to the NBL summer league for their development camp so that already occurs.
You are not going to get any international referees or NBA people here due to timing and cash.
The NBL referees are accountable. Just like the AFL referees get dropped, its just not advertised. It doesnt happen in any other profession.
Referees are micd up... what other competition broadcasts to fans in the stadium...other than sportsears?? No one.
There is already a video review person who can hear what referees say or ask for re-review

Just because all this isn't published doesn't mean none of it happens.

It was said in a previous thread...once people stop looking at calls in slow mo, frame by frame, 18 times this hysteria will go away. If you have to look at a call twice in slow mo and you cant decide! Then the referee in "real time" at game speed gets a tick. Otherwise its an impossible job.

Reply #620702 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

I think first the NBL has to acknowledge that there is a problem. Until that occurs nothing will be done

Reply #620705 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I do think the referees could practice a little more, they could then become more consistent and everything will be fine really.

I think the coaches can argue less with them and both referees and coaches can be a little more respectful of one another and understanding of each other's position.

In my humble opinion, we need to focus more on how great the NBL is becoming and possible expansion once the league is financially strong and viable in all areas, refereeing included and allow the people we have time to improve and develop.

Finally, when we have all of our referees as pros, pay them enough to give them all the opportunities a pro players has, then we can judge them, not until then.

Reply #620710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you get them to "practice a little bit more"??? Please expand?

Reply #620711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happens when any of us do not perform at work? You get sanctioned. The same referees are rolled out every week irrespective of their performance. Pretty sure that if you miss a round of games or two you will remember what a double dribble looks like.

I have also heard that making the correct call outside of your area is viewed as worse than letting the wrong call get made. This could explain the high number of soft off ball calls made, if refs are locked in on their area and not the main play. (I don't mean you ignore off ball, but I feel there is too much off ball calls made)

Reply #620719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No longer an anonymous

Reply #620724 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Blaming part time refs is a cop out.
If you know ALL the rules just watch the game & make the damn correct call.

Reply #620727 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"How do you get them to "practice a little bit more"??? Please expand?"

Wasn't my comment but I'd love to "expand" on some of my experiences at ABA level, which I think lie at the heart of a lot of the problems. The old line of "Oh refs can only practice in games" always gets trotted out as some sort of acceptable reason why refs don't do more work on their art. During my tenure coaching at ABA level I tried everything short of getting on my knees and begging, for refs to:
*Referee our practice games in pre season
*Come to practice and referee our scrimmages and talk to the players about what they're seeing in different situations
*Come and sit and watch game film with us and discuss situations
All pretty valid training exercises for refs I thought and also a good way to foster better relationships. Never had 1 ref show up despite numerous invitations. From my experience apart from their poxy "action days" where they do a fitness test and go over points of emphasis for the season (which should really be points of emphasis for the first 3 rounds because they're forgotten after that) and an occasional evaluation they get no training on their craft at all. And there are loads of NBL refs reffing at that level....and it's also the breeding ground for new blood.
The most common excuse I got was "they want to be paid to ref practice games" Ok, well we're doing this for nothing but we'll scrounge up 50 bucks for them. "Oh no, the going rate for ABA is $120 (or whatever it was at the time)"
Hell we even had an annual charity game in the pre season where everyone donated their time (bench people, stadium staff etc) except guess who needed to be paid so we could have a game?
I've said it before, players and coaches work far harder on improving their game than refs do.

Reply #620730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youre living in the past Duke. Every kid gets their ABA vision these days whether by hudl or drop box in whatever league they are reffing.

Nbl guys get a USB straight after the game to review.

Cool lets go ref practice games, in the ABA you may have refs close to where you train, practice times might suit. In Sydney for example the 6 refs are from vastly different geographical areas to wear the Kings play. Its not just geographical but employment restrictions also affect the "ability " to attend trainings when the Kings train during the day.

Some of these theories to improve are great...they just dont work in the real world

Reply #620733 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"they just dont work in the real world"

Players/coaches make sacrifices to improve. Refs make excuses

Reply #620734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah and you dont think NBL refs have or do? The 6 guys in NSW for example all have senior roles in their employment. You have no clue what "sacrifices" they make to improve, to be involved or simply accept appointments during the work week.

Your comments are ill informed and naive. The "kids" that make excuses in the ABA are in the ABA for a reason.

Reply #620735 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"I think the coaches can argue less with them and both referees and coaches can be a little more respectful of one another and understanding of each other's position."

Good point. It's a breath of fresh air watching Bevo on the courtside compared to every other coach going off their nut at every little thing.

Reply #620740 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Yeah and you dont think NBL refs have or do? The 6 guys in NSW for example all have senior roles in their employment. You have no clue what "sacrifices" they make to improve, to be involved or simply accept appointments during the work week.

Your comments are ill informed and naive. The "kids" that make excuses in the ABA are in the ABA for a reason."

Herein lies a big part of the problem, having part time officials in a professional league. Make them all full time, pay them accordingly, give them time for development and then make sure they meet KPI's

Reply #620749 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Make all NBL refs Full-time, THE END

Reply #620757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why? They can't get it right now. All that will do is reward ineptness.

Reply #620782 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It was mentioned in another thread about Adelaide getting so many friendly calls.
It's true, but I don't believe it results from any bias or favouritism.

There's an inherent problem when a league tries to change things by influencing the Refs.
The NBL wants a more entertaining up-temp style of game. If this were the NBA, they would simply change the rules again, but we are mostly stuck with FIBA rules.
So they lean on the refs.

Guys like Jawai get their wallets stolen by the refs, guys like Randle get a red-carpet and step-ladder rolled out.
People bitch about the soft-call given to Cotton to send the Cairns game into OT, but he is simply benefiting from the protection that has been handed out all year.

It's simply serendipitous for Adelaide that the style Lazza & Jezza want, is the style Joey has been pushing for years. If Goorjian came back, his whole team would foul-out.

Last year saw a predictably tough and gruelling grind between NZ and Perth. In the post-win festivities, Lazz and Jezza looked somebody shoved a rose-bush up their butts. I assumed it was just the failure of MU and their hatred of Perth, but whatever the reason they have pushed hard for a more free-flowing entertaining style of game.

As I said, pure serendipity for Adelaide, other teams will have to adapt.

Reply #620800 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Reply #620801 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

How about competency based pay rates. Watch them lift their standard then.

Reply #620802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know what's wrong with that and the FT thing is that these chumps simply aren't up to it.
Incentive based, great idea, what happens when they fail that test? FT. So when they fail to meet the mark that they are set, they get dropped to where exactly.
Repeat.
Fail.
Repeat.

Reply #620817 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I am somewhat sympathetic to NBL refs insofar as we have to remember they are employed part-time and simply don't have the benefits/access to development as other referees across world sport. For me, it's a case of output = input. Increase the resource and input and we'd get better referees without a doubt.

Secondly, I think NBL refs need to start giving out tech fouls to players and coaches more for complaining.

My point of submission is that the general public and the commentators idea on what's a bad call is influenced by the reactions of the players and head coaches.

Perhaps, if we can curb those reactions, it won't be as bad of a look to the general public/spectacle; right now, people see players and HC complain and that gives off the inference that the wrong call was made. If they didn't complain as much; maybe for the purposes of the spectacle, we wouldn't sit here thinking that a wrong call was made on multiple occassions.

Thirdly; just a general question.

Do we think the NBL has stopped showing certain replays where the call was heavily contentious. It just seems to me as the NBL pick and choose what to 'replay'. It wouldn't surprise me if they purposely chose not to replay contentious calls so that people back at home watching on TV don't see the balls up (which only lowers their opinion of the league if seen/realised the wrong call).

Reply #620913 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Do we think the NBL has stopped showing certain replays where the call was heavily contentious. It just seems to me as the NBL pick and choose what to 'replay'. It wouldn't surprise me if they purposely chose not to replay contentious calls so that people back at home watching on TV don't see the balls up (which only lowers their opinion of the league if seen/realised the wrong call)."

I've often wondered this with other sports too, in particular rugby league.

Reply #620915 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I agree with MACDUB on all 3 points. It always used to annoy the hell out of me at the A-league games when they wouldn't replay fouls or contentious stuff.

If only there was some way to stop players giving the refs grief by claiming side balls where it was clear that it was their team which put the ball out.

Reply #620920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do they have post-game reviews? Are referees scored on their performance? Need things like that. And if they score poorly, then they don't get to do as many games and have to go "back to school". If you do well, you get more games, including the bigger ones.

Reply #620923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea. Drop the best refs who are supposed to put in their best games week after week and then promote the ones that aren't ready if ever. See the problem. AFAIK the refs are critted after every game. Isn't that the point of having a refs boss?
The refs were are talking about are of Olympic standard and FIBA standard and most of the time they get it right. However the continual clangers they make far outweigh the good calls.

Reply #620925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That tech called on Craig was pretty important and appeared to be overzealous

Reply #621239 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Do we think the NBL has stopped showing certain replays where the call was heavily contentious."

Earlier in the year they were. Now they seem to replay almost every foul, it's so annoying.

I'd much prefer to see replays of quality play, and save replays of fouls for late in the game or if it is a really controversial call.

Reply #621253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Limited Gene pool they are rooted.

Reply #621256 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That tech called on Craig was pretty important and appeared to be overzealous
Did it to Jacobsen tonight as well.

Reply #621378 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:51 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754