AK-47
Years ago

Terrance Ferguson on NBAdraft.net

Just found this article on NBAdraft.net written by Terrance Ferguson.

Thought I'd share in case it hadn't already been. Kid sounds pretty down to earth.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/terrance-ferguson-australia/

Topic #40755 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst he came to Australia with athleticism and the hype of most americans, I've yet to see playing with the 36ers how he's predicted to go in the 1st rd of this years NBA draft.

The guy had a donut(zero) in his last game!! If he's a 1st rounder, Sobey should get drafted. He's been consistent all season, while ferguson been consistently doing very little and at times looks lost on the court.

Reply #621476 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Ferguson is 18. Sobey's 26. You can't compare them.

Reply #621479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO Sobey is probably borderline too old to make it in the NBA now. He'll be 27 by the start of next season. While he has a bit of room to improve, he's probably close to his ceiling/peak now. I don't think his current skill level would be enough to make it like some older guys that get in (Ingles, etc). His size/athleticism is a huge strength in the NBL and wouldn't shine as much in the NBA. His upside from here just isn't probably high enough to take him imo. If he played at this level a couple of years ago he could have been a chance.

Reply #621485 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't think Sobey is NBA material, but wouldn't be surprised if some money in EU gets thrown at him based on this season.

Reply #621491 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That will depend on if he has a Euro passport or not. I couldn't see a team in a European league of similar standard to the NBL or better bringing him in as an import as it stands.

Reply #621498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does he lack to play as an import Paul,? For mine he is one of the better players in our league

Reply #621512 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Ben Madgen was doing pretty well in Belgium and currently not too shabby in Lithuania. Sobey would be comparable to him so no reason why he couldn't cut it as an import in some euro leagues.

As for Ferguson vs. Sobey in the draft, how would an 18 year old Sobey compares to Ferguson? Where was Sobey playing when he was 18? Would we see a 26 year old Ferguson in the NBL?

Reply #621522 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Pretty boy Sobey is as much chance to play in the nba as i'm to walk to America.

Reply #621530 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Pretty boy Sobey is as much chance to play in the nba as i'm to walk to America.

Reply #621531 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Madgen has done well by starting in a mid-tier league and working his way up. Personally, I don't think Sobey's open-court game translates to Europe like Madgen's does.

If Sobey wants to follow that path of building from a lower league he possibly could, but I imagine he'll have to take a pay cut from what NBL teams will be offering.

Reply #621538 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Disagree Paul. Can knock down a shot, facilitate an offence and attack/hurry up defenses. To limit his output to a fast break open court player underestimates his potential and abilities. He is better than Madgen ever was (with respect to Madgen)

Reply #621552 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agree that Sobey is a better player than Madgen was here but European basketball is played in a traditional half-court setting which a guy like Madgen (or a Penney) is made for coming off screens but a lot of Sobey's effectiveness in getting out on the break and breaking guys down off the dribble would be nullified over there.

Reply #621558 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Sobey is not an athlete in the NBA like he is here, Ferguson is. Nba values length atm over skills, Giannis anyone? look how far he has come and Ferguson arguably has a better stroke already.

Has Sobey defied expectation and reached his potential, absolutely.

Would he be as successful without Randle playing next to him?

Could he make Europe, maybe. I honestly feel his numbers are inflated from some of the soft calls he gets from the flail he has mastered (like many), don't see him getting the same love anywhere else, or on any other team atm tbh.

Reply #621576 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

XY, he's never played serious minutes in a half-court team so it's guesswork at this stage, whereas Madgen had a standout season in a very structured team in 2012.

Remember also, Sobey's breakout season has come in a year where the refereeing is strongly in favour of the offence and his team plays the fastest in a fast-paced league. Cairns and Perth would be amongst the faster teams in many European comps.

There are a lot of adjustments he would have to make playing in a good European comp, he'll have to play differently and I don't think he has the experience to do that just yet, especially under import pressure.

As I said he could start in a lower league, but he'll be playing in a lower standard than the NBL, most likely getting less money and risking stalling his development if he doesn't fit the style and ends up sitting.

Reply #621581 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

Sobey is on the NBA radar. One team in particular is very very strong on him. He will play summer league

Reply #621590 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Ok-- let's stop the Sobey to NBA business. He has had one good season in the NBL. He does not have the length, height or flat out athletism to make a NBA roster, his 3pt shot is also questionable at that range.

For me, he is similar to brad Newley, but I'd take Newley 100 times over before I take sobey. I think he is slightly better than madgen, but I'd like to see him dominate the NBL for 2-3 years

Reply #621890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey is better than Newley. The Sixers don't have the best record for no reason. Sobey is elite

Reply #621894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The kids 18 going against fully grown men, most division 1 college teams would struggle against Nbl teams and they get their players drafted.
Ferguson oozes potential and his attitude has been great, his athleticism is nba standard and his game will only improve. If he slips someone like the Spurs would love to grab him I reckon.
Heck, even Thon Maker went 10 (even though he may not be 18) and he didn't even dominate in high school in Canada.

Reply #622136 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:49 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754