Jack Toft
Years ago

Cairns back in Top 4

Slap me senseless!

Cairns have got themselves back into the Top 4.

Adelaide 17 / 8
Hawks 13 / 12
Sydney 13 / 13
Cairns 12 / 12

Perth 12 / 12
NZB 12 / 14
Melb. 11 / 13
Bris. 10 / 16

CNS have @ILL, PER, ADL, @ADL
PER have BRI, @CNS, SYD, @MEL
SYD have MEL, @PER

Can they stay there?

Topic #40761 | Report this topic

GordonG  
Years ago

Damn right we can :)

(I hope)

Reply #621561 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Yep i think they're in.

Having adelaide for the last two games helps too with the 6ers having less to play for.

Reply #621562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do Adelaide 'rest' players in the last few games and throw the game to try to ensure Perth/ NZ/Melbourne don't sneak into that fourth spot? I would think they would much rather play Illawarra/Sydney/Cairns in the semis/grand finals than those the two very successful in finals clubs and Melbourne who can light up on any given day

Reply #621564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to tell still, this will definitely come down to the final couple of games. A lot depends on Adelaide and how motivated they are heading into finals. Good chance still that Cairns could go 0-4 from here and finish 12-16.

Reply #621565 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I not only think Cairns will make it, I'm tipping them to finish 2nd, because they've already won the split against the Hawks.

Yes, it will be bitterly disappointing if the Cats miss out on a spot because Adelaide don't give a rats about those last two games. BUT you make your own luck.
Perth have been inconsistent this season, and lost games we should have won.
We have 4 games left, and they are all potentially winnable. Do that, we finish on 16, and are in like stink. 3 Wins I reckon still gets us in, 2 I don't think will.

There are a bunch of teams, who in any other season would probably have made it. Whoever misses out could be considered unlucky. Cairns will get a soft ride home, which sucks, but is par for the course with the weird scheduling.

Reply #621566 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Cairns finishes with FIVE straight doubles, which is a bit rude, so if they do end up getting it a bit easier against Adelaide, that's probably fair enough.

Reply #621567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perth didn't lose games they should of won. they lost because they are not very good anymore. if anything the refs won them a couple of games they should of lost. it would be great for a regional club on a budget to keep the arrogant rich powerhouse out of the 4. go snakes!!

Reply #621568 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I can't see the Sixers doing Cairns any favours in the last two games with the possibility of then playing them in the semi finals.

We saw how well that worked for Melbourne last year!

Reply #621569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From my reckoning the current season series between Cairns, Hawks, Sydney and Perth sit at

Cairns vs Hawks Cairns won series
Cairns vs Sydney Sydney won series
Cairns vs Perth perth lead 2-1 cairns must win by 15 or more to win series
Hawks vs Sydney sydney won series
Hawks vs Perth perth won series
Perth vs Sydney perth lead 2-1 sydney must win by 8.

Should be interesting if they all end up on the same win/loss

Reply #621570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a 36er fan I'll be brutally angry if they allow the cats to make the finals. Lose to cairns and help punish the cats. How sweet it is to own the cats destiny.

Reply #621571 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

People hate the cats that much you actually want your team to throw games to try and stop them making the finals, thats really sad, do you not value the integrity of the game?

I doubt Adelaide wants to go into the finals losing 3 of their last 4, even if you're "not trying" that can't possibly do good things for you.

Cairns drawing the 36ers for two games will be tough, a split at best, Hawks and cats games are winnable, to guarantee a spot they need 3/4, chances are even if they beat the wildcats, they won't get the split.

Cats are in a good position in most splits but who knows which cats team will arrive and for how long, but if they all finish on 14 they will likely make it.

Kings could finish holding the season series over all 3.

Reply #621573 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

It's doubtful sixers will flirt with form going into finals. This isn't the spurs we are talking about. A short 3 game series is always hard to recover if you drop the first home game so I think they will be ironing out the kinks.

The top 4 is no where near settled, both Cairns and Perth have the series over the Hawks and kings are in a good spot to finish the season. There could be a huge shuffle in just the final round. I think MU need to go undefeated from here on out. As do breakers but they only have two games left so more do-able, and have a very important series win against Perth. Perth can make it in 2 wins, but they really need to be cairns and kings.
What an end to the season, it's like we have been in finals for a month.

(Ps. Disappointed that Perth hate has even crept into a thread about cairns, here to talk basketball, not to read you having a whinge in every post )

Reply #621578 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Can we just stop the season now?
Illawarra, Sydney and Cairns is probably the best case scenario.

Reply #621579 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If the season ends today Cairns miss, so they have a bit of work to do still. They are in form, but that generally hasn't meant much this season!

Reply #621583 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Cairns deserve a break. They have not had the rub of the green by any stretch of the imagination. Glidden breaking out. Loughton stepping up. Not so much pressure on Trice. Mitchell gives them another scoring option. Worthington consistently delivers. Big Nate only has to chip in.
Look deep to me.

Reply #621584 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Based on last night's game, Mitchell looks like he might be the type of player Cairns have been sorely missing all season long... and right in the nick of time.

Reply #621585 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Hey Paul. I'm just letting you know Cairns have got four games left and have played two less games than Sydney and have a game in hand against other top four teams.

Reply #621589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't you hate it when a thread about Cairns turns in to a Cats thread....

Reply #621591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

J, adelaide are clear first. They can't drop back they have little to play for right now accept form. They have earned the right to dictate terms of who they want entering their arena for the playoffs.

Reply #621592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha I know its been a while since Adelaide have been a decent team so I'll forgive their fans for not knowing what happens next but if you think that them throwing games to get favourable matchups has crossed their minds then you're an idiot.

Reply #621594 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Why would tank to keep Perth out? You'd rather play the Cats than anyone else in the top 5 right now.

Reply #621596 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Cairns will get a soft ride home, which sucks, but is par for the course with the weird scheduling."

Yeah, soft ride having to play the top team twice and also the second place team.

Reply #621599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very happy to see Weeks performing so well. He's one of the keys Snakes are there for sure.

Reply #621602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My perdiction

Ade
Perth
ILLAW
Cairns

Reply #621604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To finish off my ladder here is my GF perdiction

Ade V Perth we smash the pussy cats 2-0

Reply #621605 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Best of 5 gf, 2-0 ain't gonna be enough.

Reply #621606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a graet perdiction!

Reply #621607 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Tanking would be a dick move anyway, it won't even register as a thought, Adelaide will play to win like any other game, they just won't register as important enough to go over board with minutes for players like Randle

Reply #621610 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

You have to admire what Cairns continually achieves despite not being in a major city and with limited funding. I really hope they make the top 4(hopefully not at the expense of Perth).

Reply #621611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You have to admire what Cairns continually achieves"

Two post-season appearances in 7 years under Fearne.

Reply #621613 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I don't think the 36ers would tank, but if any of the guys have niggles they'd probably want to make sure they're right for the finals.

A few seasons back the Crocs tanked so they'd play us in the finals, nek minute they got to stay home and watch us play NZ in the finals.

Reply #621614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A pathetic offensive team like Perth will not make it..They will lose to Cairns away and probably lose in Melbourne. Hell if the Kings get their form back they can win in Perth.

Reply #621616 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not surprising

I flagged this as a possibility here last week: http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/40717-cairns-still-in-play-off-hunt/#p620638

Even then they were $5.00 to make the 4.

Cairns has been underrated all season. If it wasn't for two overtime losses in Perth- a fadeaway 3 from Johnson getting the first into OT, a dodgy foul call against Gliddon achieving the same result the second time- they would already be almost assured a spot and would still have a chance of getting 1st off 36ers.

Reply #621617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A pathetic offensive team like Perth will not make it..They will lose to Cairns away and probably lose in Melbourne."

Perth will still make it if they lose those two. They own the season series against the teams they are battling with for the final two spots. Sorry to ruin your day.

Reply #621619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So no one wants to see Perth in the playoffs., They are boring and dirty. They ruin basketball

Reply #621620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, it must be boring to see them in the playoffs for 32 straight years, which is probably more than double the amount of years you've been alive.

Reply #621621 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Adelaide have locked in top spot but looked to be taking it pretty seriously against Illawarra last game. I imagine they'll reduce minutes in those later games, but Cairns still have Illawarra and Perth who will be keen for wins before then.

Reply #621622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Sixers won't let 'Cats in. Therefore Taipans looking decent now.

Reply #621667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All this tank talk is stupid. I don't really see what Sixers would gain by tanking on purpose to not let the Cats in, why should they care about the Cats? I imagine they'll give their stars a few less minutes each game but play to win, no professional athlete plays to lose.

They're on a hot streak, keep it going into the playoffs and don't lose momentum. They've been building all year to this moment and they're only side with a solid record who has managed to get some long lasting momentum int he second half of the season. Why would they want to lose 2 games and go into the Playoffs on a losing streak? Plus give confidence to a side (Cairns) they'll likely face in the playoffs at some stage possibly even right away.

I'm sure ending the Cats playoff streak has not been Adelaide's goal for the year and I'm sure it's not their top priority or focus right now.

Reply #621691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would give some of the Sixers fans their first chubby.

Reply #621692 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Cairns will get a soft ride home, which sucks, but is par for the course with the weird scheduling."

Yeah, soft ride having to play the top team twice and also the second place team.
As I said "Cairns finishes with FIVE straight doubles, which is a bit rude, so if they do end up getting it a bit easier against Adelaide, that's probably fair enough."

I'm not suggesting Adelaide will tank.
But Cairns are a competitive team, coming good at the right end of the season, and have everything to play for. I don't think Adelaide will mess around, but it would make perfect sense to get a few more minutes into your bench. Plus you have to figure anybody who rolls an ankle, or tweaks something, will be immediately iced and rested.

And that said, I don't know if Joey would be more or less worried about facing any particular team.
But as an example, say Perth was in their position, and could cause NZ to drop to 5th by losing...
Do the 6's have a preference on who they would or would not want to play in the SF???
And even if they did, it could still come down to the final game between MU & Perth

Reply #621704 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

The ideal scenarion for Cairns is as follows (he said, thus ensuring it didn't happen. D'oh!) Teams in ALL CAPS winning is the ideal.

Illawarra CAIRNS
Perth BRISBANE
ADELAIDE New Zealand
Sydney MELBOURNE
CAIRNS Perth
Melbourne ILLAWARRA
CAIRNS Adelaide
NEW ZEALAND Melbourne
PERTH Sydney
Illawarra BRISBANE
Adelaide CAIRNS
MELBOURNE Perth

The ladder would finish:
Adelaide
Cairns
Illawarra
Melbourne*
_____
Perth*
Sydney*
New Zealand*
Brisbane

* All of Melbourne, Perth, Sydney and New Zealand would end on 13/15, which is a bit of a nightmare to work out... I know Melbourne and Perth have their series over Sydney in this scenario. I couldn't be arsed to work out how it would finish for places 4 to 7, and frankly don't really care to spend the time on it.

The important part is that Cairns would finish second and face Illawarra in the semis, against whom they have an excellent record this year. In this scenario, they've also beaten Adelaide in their last two encounters, so will have the wood over the minor premiers come finals time, and...

CAIRNS WILL BE 2016/17 NBL CHAMPIONS!!!

Reply #621717 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

**Sigh**

I can dream, can't I?

Reply #621718 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I'm all in with you Freethrows. 100% ;)

Reply #621728 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Hey Paul. I'm just letting you know Cairns have got four games left and have played two less games than Sydney and have a game in hand against other top four teams."

They might have two more games to play than Sydney, but the Kings are one game ahead and have the season series, meaning the Taipans have to win two more games than them to jump ahead.

Cairns are effectively fifth and have either lost or are well behind in the series against the three teams they're likely to be competing against, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. They can get there, but they can probably only afford one slip-up.

Reply #621746 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

That one slip-up can't be against Perth I think. The Snakes really have it tough.

Reply #621757 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I can only take partial credit for Cairns' reversal of fortunes, having only been engaged as Alex Loughton's personal hair colourist and fist-pump coordinator since early January. However, the effects of my time spent with Alex have been remarkable, both on his own form and on the confidence of the team as a whole, inspired as they are by his lustrous flowing locks, subtle coordination of highlights and base tones, and the galvanising effect on team morale after a perfectly executed celebration fist pump.

Alex is a keen student of the noble art of celebratory fist-pumpage, and his accomplishments have thus far been remarkable. Should his execution of more complex forms continue to improve I have no doubt the Taipans will be nbl championship winners, and Alex will challenge other renowned fist-pump luminaries on a global stage.

Reply #621766 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cairns really need to beat Illawarra on Friday, as it will bring the Hawks into the pack and the Taipans have the series there (and will go 4-0 which is handy in case of multiple teams tying).

Two wins and they'll be second with one round to go, one win and they'll probably have to win their last two, no wins and they're probably done.

Reply #621774 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:50 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754