Tom
Years ago

who will make the finals?

With the season that we have had - it was bound to come down to the line.
Adelaide obviously have made it and Brisbane won't.

The other 3 spots are up for grabs and I don't think you can write off any of the other teams quite yet.

Some big game coming up, EXCITING!

Topic #40764 | Report this topic

whitewind  
Years ago

That melbourne v cats game was crunch on the weekend. Melbourne were one Barlow 3 from turning both teams chances on their heads

Reply #621697 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Yep - it was the difference between 3rd & 7th on the ladder (and now with the kings & taipans winning last night - perth have dropped to 5th) - what a crazy season

Reply #621698 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

There are some huge games in both round 18 and 19. We will probably have to wait until the last 3 games in round 19 to see how 2nd - 4th is decided.

As Dazz discussed in another thread, we could potentially end up in a mini ladder with 6 teams tying for the same win loss record.

Reply #621699 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Interesting to note that it ends up a 4 way tie with Hawks, Cairns, Perth and Sydney - the Hawks will miss out of the finals regardless of the results in the next 3 games.

Reply #621701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who the f_ _ k would have any idea, I've given up guessing. :):)

Reply #621702 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

The Hawks v Taipans game on Friday is huge - If the Hawks get this one, I'm going to call it and say they make the finals - i can't see them losing to Brisbane at home. So those 2 wins will give them 15 wins for the season and will see them make it.

But it will be tough against an in-form Cairns team. Interesting.

Reply #621705 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Adelaide are obviously in.
I think Hawks and Cairns will make it.
4th is a toss-up at this point.

Reply #621706 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Hmmm - i think Cairns prob has the hardest run home - 2 games against Adelaide, 1 x Perth and 1 x Hawks.

Reply #621709 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

My pick

Adelaide
Illawarra
Perth
Sydney

Cairns
NZ
Melb

Gut feeling 3-4 teams will finish 14-14
Cairns have Adelaide twice,unless adelaide gives Cairns a win?Syd have Perth so that game could decide 3/4th

Reply #621710 | Report this post

Em  
Years ago

Melb Utd to win last 4 games and make finals with 15 wins !!!

Reply #621711 | Report this post

HMN  
Years ago

I don't know that I like Sydney's chances - 1 game against Melb (who I think have had their measure this season?) and once against Perth & their red army.

I think 36ers, Hawks and .....maybe Perth & cairns (long shot Melb)

Reply #621715 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That last game is in Melbourne, not in Perth.

Reply #621716 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I hate to say it, but my (very flawed) system of guestimation says Cairns will miss out:

Adelaide
Illawarra
Perth
Sydney
____
Cairns
New Zealand*
Melbourne*
Brisbane

Same record, I couldn't be bothered working out the ties.

Reply #621722 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Best teams in the league are 36ers, and Hawks. The Kings, United Perth and Cairns are fighting for 3rd and 4th. It's a toss up literally. Could come down to a single play in one games.If I picked two it would be the kiss of death so i do't mind who goes through. But of the 4 who do qualify could be anyone's championship.Best of 3,5 guarantees no real home court advantage.

Reply #621723 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

We will know more after this rounds biggest matches between Hawks v Cairns,Sydney vMelb,Cairns v Perth,Hawks v Melb.If the hawks split this week they then play Bris in rd 19.I have no doubt the league want Perth & Sydney to make playoffs and Perth to get 2nd & two home finals in the 1st week.A Perth crowd of 13,000 =nbl $$$$$.

Reply #621734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh wow, so we're claiming some home cooking in Perth and some fixed results in the upcoming round, on a Monday?

Reply #621735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, so here we go. (Just my thoughts)

ILLAWARA 13-12

Beat Cairns, Lose United, Beat Brisbane

Finish 15-13

IN

SYDNEY 13-13

Beat Melbourne, Lose Perth

Finish 14-14

IN- based on splits

CAIRNS 12-12

Lose Illawarra( up 3-0 so far) Beat Perth( Perth has split so far) Beat Adelaide, Lose Adelaide

Finish 14-14

PERTH 12-12

Beat Brisbane, Lose Cairns( has the split so far) Beat Sydney, Lose United

Finish 14-14

NEW ZEALAND 12-14

Lose Adelaide, Beat Melbourne

Finish 13-15

OUT

MELBOURNE 11-13

Lose Sydney, Beat Illawarra, Lose New Zealand, Beat Perth

Finish 13-15

OUT

I think the Cairns v Perth plays a big part.

Could be throw outta wack with other wins & losses

Reply #621736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if Sydney, Cairns and Perth all finish on the same record, Cairns miss out due to the mini table system.

Reply #621737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they beat Illawarra, Perth & Adelaide, Illawarra will miss out unless they beat Melbourne and still may miss cause of splits.

Reply #621738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adel
Perth
Hawks
Cairns

1st round Adelaide V Cairns Adelaide wins 2-0
1st round Perth V Hawks Perth wins 2-1

Grand Fin al Adelaide V Perth Adelaide wins

Reply #621750 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Too hard to call. Round 18 is definitely the nailbiter round for the teams vying for Finals spot. The one team I'm wary of if they managed to get into the Finals would be the Snakes.

Reply #621756 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

What happens if perth owns the split on kings, kings on cairns and cairns on perth?

Reply #621758 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's impossible enough just to tip one round correctly, let alone two, so I'm not going to get carried away with predictions either. Will just enjoy the ride as things unfold.

My main interest is Perth of course, and 2 games both weekends combined with key players in poor health and/or poor form means I don't really like our chances.

Reply #621759 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

What happens if perth owns the split on kings, kings on cairns and cairns on perth?
if 3 teams finish on equal wins, then it goes to a "mini table" comprised of only the 12 games between those teams.
however if they then have 4 wins each, I'm not sure?
I THINK the mini-table is decided on margin/ percentage(different math, same result)

Reply #621769 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Within the mini-table I believe it is determined by wins and losses, then points differential, then percentage.

Reply #621773 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm saving myself the trouble and not bothering to predict- countless permutations still possible with 2 weeks left!

As far as United goes, it's looking unlikely. But, beat Sydney on Saturday night then all of a sudden it's looking likely again (a team they told a 2-1 record against and beat last time in Sydney). Anything can happen. Got tickets to the open air game- just my third live game of the season- should be good!

Reply #621776 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"My main interest is Perth of course, and 2 games both weekends combined with key players in poor health and/or poor form means I don't really like our chances."

With the split over Illawarra, Sydney, Melbourne and most likely Cairns, I think the Wildcats would have to go 1-3 to miss.

With the first game of each round being at home against Brisbane and Sydney, it would be a bit of a choke to miss out. I think they'll get there.

Reply #621784 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"A Perth crowd of 13,000 =nbl $$$$$."

Forgive my ignorance but how does a big crowd in PER translate to more money for the NBL?

Reply #621786 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Within the mini-table I believe it is determined by wins and losses, then points differential, then percentage."

...then amount of games that were decided by the refs instead of the actual recorded result

Reply #621787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he was talking about finals games, the league adds a levy to each ticket price. Or used to, not sure if this still happens.

Reply #621788 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Paul,
Haven't quite got my head around it, so was just thinking out load, but in a mini-table, with equal wins, wouldn't differential and percentage yield the same result? ie team with highest differential has the highest %??

Either way, makes for some interesting scenarios...

Reply #621791 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's true, if you had a mini-table where all teams involved were actually level on head-to-head and points differential then percentage would be the same.

It's a very unlikely scenario, usually someone gets eliminated by the earlier measures, but I'm not sure what would happen in that instance. Maybe percentage across the whole season? Don't know.

Reply #621807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""A Perth crowd of 13,000 =nbl $$$$$."

Forgive my ignorance but how does a big crowd in PER translate to more money for the NBL?"

NBL receives commission on each ticket sold during the finals.

Reply #621828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes pts % across the season would be the tiebreaker.

Reply #621829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide
DAYLIGHT
DAYLIGHT
DAYLIGHT

Rest of the teams have been trash this season. Barely 50% lmao...

Reply #621830 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

If mini table comes up all equal, then and only the. Does it go to season percentage

Reply #621960 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:13 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754