Anonymous
Years ago

Devin Williams Released Josh Boone to remain

Interesting move

http://www.melbourneutd.com.au/featured-news/roster-update-josh-boone-remain-club/

Topic #40765 | Report this topic

Fundingsland  
Years ago

Shocked

Reply #621781 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I always think about how hard the NBL pushed Williams' image in their marketing and site graphics. Surely not just because of his distinctive goggles, but because they expected him to do really well?

Reply #621782 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it was the goggles and hair.

Reply #621789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Image is all important obviously. However surely playing ability is too? Who recruited him? Vince or DD?

Reply #621804 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

One of the worst imports(Williams) ever now all teams playing Melbourne just have to do is put one of there bench warmers on in the 2nd half and hack Boone whislt he is on the court who is the worst freethrow shooter in the nbl.

Reply #621815 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

SHOCKED...

This didn't happen sooner.

Reply #621816 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Hey Fundingsland i'm also in shock Williams got released but only shocked it didn't happen earlier.He is F in hopeless.

Reply #621818 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

now all teams playing Melbourne just have to do is put one of there bench warmers on in the 2nd half and hack Boone whislt he is on the court who is the worst freethrow shooter in the nbl.
IIRC the worst T/T shooter is Akil Mitchell, doesn't he shoot around 33%???

I wasn't impressed with Boone when he first stepped onto the court against Perth, but he did some good things, especially in close.

Gotta be honest though, he seems a strange choice for a team that already has Majok & Andersen.
I guess at the time they signed him, they didn't have Andersen, and wanted someone similar, and now its too late to add someone new, and their only choice was between him and Goggles.

Reply #621821 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

I think we all knew this was happening

Reply #621824 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't think I ever really saw enough of Williams to judge how good he was or wasn't.

Boone is limited, but at the very least will throw down anything around the basket and rebounds at the rate that Majok used to rebound the first 10 or so games of last season.

Reply #621831 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

Williams always appeared a step or two behind the play. Not sure if that was a vision problem or general miswareness of the game.

I feel bad for the guy as he was quite young, came a long way from home, and never looked like he was given a proper opportunity, but it is a pro league and if he thought he was going to tear it up because he was some big college player and this is our little Australian league then maybe it will shake him up a bit for his future career if he pursues it.

Any thoughts on where he'll end up now he's headed back to the US?

Reply #621844 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pretty tough for a thick-set big like that to step into one of the fastest leagues there is straight out of college.

Reply #621846 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Looks like leaving West Virginia early was a stupid as F decision!!

Reply #621849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that you call the NBL one of the fastest in the world. Outside of Adelaide and Illawarra, it seems most teams play a very slow pace.

Reply #621859 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I feel sorry for him.
He was doomed under DD.

Reply #621871 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

DD is a flog

Reply #621878 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Interesting that you call the NBL one of the fastest in the world. Outside of Adelaide and Illawarra, it seems most teams play a very slow pace."

Just a quick comparison of (rough) average statistical pace:

NBA 80 (adjusted)
NBL 77
China 77
Puerto Rico 76 (adjusted)
Argentina 75
VTB 75
Adriatic 74
Spain 73
Turkey 72
Brazil 72
Euroleague 72

The fastest NBL teams, Adelaide and Illawarra, are around 80-81, the slowest, Perth, Brisbane and Cairns, are at around 74-75.

There is pretty much a divide this year, Adelaide, Illawarra and NZ play fast, Melbourne and Sydney are in between, while the other three play at closer to a European/Sth American pace.

Then factor in the speed of ball and player movement in the half-court in the NBL, which is high by world standards, and it is very testing for slow-footed big guys.

On top of that, our coaches ask their big guys to be aggressive defensively, where in a lot of other leagues they give up the pull-up J coming off a ball-screen.

Reply #621884 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754