Train
Years ago

Perth vs Brisbane, Fri Feb 3

This is a huge game for Perth. Brisbane have nothing to lose and Perth with everything on the line.

Previous Results:
Rd 1 Bris 72 - Per 65
Rd 9 Per 75 - Bri 90
Rd 14 Bris 68 - Per 72

Bullets have matched well against Perth so far this season. Can we please see Brandt start this game - McKay was owned by Jervis last game.

Topic #40771 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

Sorry title should read Fri Feb 3. Can a mod please fix?

Reply #621967 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

McKay should still have a role to play with his rim protection though - it would negate one of Kendle's biggest strengths.

Hopefully Casey is fit for this one, Craig is hard to stop as is...

Reply #621969 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Lose this and they can plan there holiday!

Reply #621971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats easily. With or without one legged Prather. He doesn't seem to have any sorts of limp but the diehards seem to think he does.

Reply #621975 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Interesting to see how Kendle handles Damo and the Cats' D.

Reply #621979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not well I one would think. He hasn't really got too many other weapons along side him to help have the defence sag off. Going up against a. Full strength bulletsbteam, think he could handle himself nicely though. Strong body type hard to move.

Reply #621982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane have owned Perth this year but will find it tough being so undermanned

Reply #621992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Brisbane have owned Perth this year"

Is your definition of owning having a 1-2 record against an opposition? Perhaps if you owned an arithmetic text book would be a good start.

Reply #621994 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Owned?
In their last game, on Brissy's home court, they were overrun by a tired Perth.
On Perth's home court, with the Cats's season on the line, with their injuries I don't give Brissy much of a chance.

The battle between Prather and Craig will be close.

Similarly, it will be interesting to see what happens up front.
Knight is definitely "on one leg." I'm just hoping McKay can get free and start having an impact. He's had some great games, and some pretty ordinary ones.
I am looking forward to the duel between Tommy and Gus.

But overall, I just think Perth will be able to control the game better. Martin will terrorise Kendle, whilst at the other end Brissy will struggle to contain Cotton.

Reply #621995 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Don't think Kendle has seen Damo's D before so should be interesting.

Reply #621996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you seen damps D? Dennis Schroder for one would laugh at this.

Reply #622018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um, so?

Reply #622019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was a joke. Google Dwight Howard mention D in a post game interview. Just a reference to seeing Damos D... double meaning ;)

Reply #622020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok cool. I thought you were saying because Schroder is a better defender than Damo, then we shouldn't be saying that Damo is a good defender.

Reply #622022 | Report this post

jimjim  
Years ago

Is Martin fully mobile now? I missed a couple of games. I thought his knee seemed a bit stiff, and he was generally off the pace a little on his first game back.

As for Brisbane owning Perth, I thought Craig has played great defense against Prather, and also managed strong offensive performance at the same time. Perth had been over reliant on Prather in past games.

Reply #622030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather has been relegated to role player basically since around Christmas because his leg is stuffed so that will make Craig's job even easier this time. He troubles even a fully fit Prather. Knight and McKay seem questionable as well lately. I would not be at all surprised if the cats blew this one. A lot is riding on Cotton having a rare good shooting night.

Reply #622066 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Nobody's suggesting that Perth are at the top of their game. Knight IS on one leg, Prather's production has lessened, and Mckay can run hot or cold. But neither are they gutted by injury like Brissy.

Reply #622070 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

If Perth can do less jump shots and more layups, it will definitely increase their chances.

Think Matty knows be cannot afford to through up these shots as he wishes.

Reply #622084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sorry title should read Fri Feb 3. Can a mod please fix?" Guess not ;)

Reply #622090 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Haha yeah so I noticed.

Reply #622091 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Perth has looked outplayed by Brisbane this year.

As for all clubs injuries are mounting for cats, Mckay called out of the last game grabbing at a hip, Knight (despite his alleged soft nature) has not been the same player since that fall vs Sydney, Prather seems to have no lift and lost his ability and/or willingness to drive and finish (a few more foul shots when he gets hit might help incentivise him).

Brisbane could take this one, Perth only ever seems to turn it on when their backs are against the wall, and even then it's at best a half of good quality basketball.

Cotton needs to stop settling for long of the dribble looks, he is so much better when he uses the screen and attacks the paint. (Yes i know our offence generates nothing for anyone but he alone could change that with some more drive and dish)

Pains me to say it but if Kickert gets hot and drops 5 3pt bombs that could be the game.

Reply #622097 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

I think Kickert will be a marked man this time.

Damo is back to his normal self. Prather has recovered according to Gleason. Matty played a bit less selfish last game.

Wagstaff is getting better balls from his mates.

Jameel has to fire ... as he,too, knows it is the biz end.

Cotton is about caught on with the deep plays and he will be smart on the balls this time.

Sorry, the Cats are going to the line, expect the worse for teams playing them. 2nd place is expected by the management by this weekend.

Reply #622098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In a pefect world bill in a perfect world. Will they beat Brisbane? Yes. Will they click into gear like you believe as everyone all of a sudden seems to get it, is healthy etc not sure.

Reply #622105 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Should also depend on which version of Princess wagstaff turns up; the one who drops 3s at will when he's fired up in the last quarter, or the one who wanders round like he's concussed.

Reply #622106 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

An interesting subplot in this game is the fact that Kickert needs only 1 more made 3 pointer to be the lone member of the NBL's 50-40-90 club.

I expect Perth to handle the injury ravaged Bullets rather easily. If they jump to an early lead and the Cats get their tails up it could be a blowout.

Reply #622115 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I believe if Jerome Randle shoots 3/3, 4/6, 5/8, 6/10 or 7/13 etc from long range to finish the season he will join the 50-40-90 club too (assuming he doesn't go cold from the other areas).

Reply #622117 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Santamaria will know regarding Randle. He's all over that sort of stuff

Reply #622126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Santamaria>>>paul ;-)

Reply #622129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Kickert was on crutches Tuesday with an ankle injury? Any truth to this rumour?

Reply #622186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McKay to score over 7.5 points paying $1.88, thoughts?

Lowered line due to a few average games, due to bounce back imo. How's his injury going? I can see him getting a few easy points off putbacks and some baskets of dishes.

Reply #622224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd agree with that. Personally when betting on player overs unders I prefer the guards who get so many more touches. I always look at majok majok, consistently at 7.5 get 2 early hoops never sees it again. Atleast with a cotton you know coke money time he can make a run. Should lead all scores tonight. Won't be kickert Craig and Prather isn't playing well.

Reply #622252 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

That's quite the look that Tueta's rocking...

Reply #622265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson really hates Mckay.

Reply #622266 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Bless his Cotton socks

Reply #622267 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Brandt's doing it all in the post

What a threat he's becoming

Reply #622268 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

COTTON IS LIT

Reply #622269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matty Knight unluckiest player ever

Reply #622273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton outplayed ware last week and is torching the bullets tonight

Reply #622274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't blame Gleeson for not giving McKay minutes, the guy has done absolutely nothing to help the team tonight.

Reply #622275 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I know this gets brought up most Perth home game threads, but christ Brad Robbins... stfu with the "we" bollocks m8. This ain't like NBA Fox Sports telecasts where each team has its own callers. It's pretty shitty. Yet another reason to hate Perth. Gawwwwd I despise em.

Reply #622276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant stand perth but wow Cotton is nice

Reply #622277 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Perth fans are classless really. Craig was fouled by Martin no doubt. Martin came rushing in and banged his shoulder into Craigs head. Head can naturally fling backward in those situations.

Anyway lets play the NBL drinking game:

- Drink 1 neck everytime Gleeson complains to the refs

- Drink 1 neck for everytime the commentators talk about Martin's defence

- Drink 1 neck for everytime the commentators mention the crowd or the atmosphere at Perth Arena.

- Drink 1 neck for everytime the commentators talk about Knight's injury histort

- Drink 1 neck for each time McKay travels or fouls

Reply #622278 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Good call MACDUB!

Anyone know if Tueta lost a bet?

Reply #622279 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

HIRE IS LIT

Reply #622280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the like of Mika Vukona(a known goon cheap shot artist ) and the Breakers crowd are so classy. Go cry me a river

Reply #622281 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Just one of those games. Brissy were outclassed, and once the lead got pushed out, the pressure is all on them, and Perth just able to play their own game. You know that when Perth hits 61% from beyond the arc it's a special night.

Great to be able to limit the minutes of the starters, because now comes the big ask of the weekend, backing up against Cairns in FNQ. Matty Knight looked ok, when he returned to the bench. Hopefully he's well enough to play and can have an early impact against Cairns.

Reply #622285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

knight just faking another injury again is that what ur saying? if he got concussed then theres no way he should play this weekend and probably should be doubtful for next round

Reply #622286 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

NBL match report says that Gleeson said he's fine and not concussed.

Reply #622287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the only reason Perth won was because of the refs am I doing it right. Go cry me a river MACDUB your team could only dream of having 10000 plus at every game

Reply #622288 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I wasn't a fan of the booing either

Reply #622289 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Not a big fan of the booing either but lets be honest here, any home crowd around the league does the same. Good to see Perth firing even with 2 of 3 imports not firing.

Reply #622290 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm all for some booing in general, don;t get me wrong!
I just don't get why it happens right after the crowd is shown a replay of actual contact. That's 2 games in a row it has happened - last time being Ware copping one.

Reply #622292 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

No, you've got it wrong, clearly Craig is the dirtiest player in the history of the NBL, and only ever scores points by flopping, and besides its all the refs' fault.

Reply #622293 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

And it irks me that we wasted one of our rare good shooting nights on an opponent we didn't need it to beat.
But it was still fun :)
Perth Wildcats 62% from outside the arc ... what are the odds of that?!

Reply #622295 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Good win by the cats and got some decent minutes deep into the bench to keep fresh.

highlight of the night: ref signaling redhages illegal screen to the bench, smacked his own butt like a 50s pinup girl.

Reply #622296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

- Drink 1 neck for everytime someone complains about Perth

Reply #622297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To me on the replay I did think it looked like a little bit of an exaggeration of the contact by Craig. I'm sure lots of people thought the same, hence why some booed. Damo had just picked up a foul on a bad call 20sec earlier, so for their crowd favourite to then get another foul on something that did look a big exaggerated was enough to make them annoyed and get the crowd booing.

Booing is all just part of the home court advantage. Perth love an excuse to boo an opposition player and a lot of the time it puts the player right off for the rest of the game (a few it can fire them up though). 12,000+ fans booing you wouldn't make it easy for you to play, Craig went scoreless after that.

Reply #622299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bit exaggerated*

Reply #622300 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Nice post anon.
Hire was big tonight. He's actually been pretty handy beyond the arc this year. Still like what I saw if Brandt tonight - Perth need him to be aggressive. The result was what I would expect of a playoff team against a team hurt so bad by injuries.

Reply #622301 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

And it irks me that we wasted one of our rare good shooting nights on an opponent we didn't need it to beat.
But it was still fun :)
Perth Wildcats 62% from outside the arc ... what are the odds of that?!
True, but I think in part it came from the lack of pressure.

Reply #622303 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

And on a side note, what kind of dim-witted muppet decides that FRIDAY night, with 12k people at the Arena, is the best time to shut down the trains?

Reply #622304 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

The reason Craig got booed is beaches for those in the stands knight got cleaned up on an illegal screen and for all around looked concussed. On the next play Craig exaggerates the contact, it wasn't to his head at all and gets the call. Classic nbl refs butchering the situation.

Anyone see the Kenny out of bounds call? Looked in by a mile at the game

Reply #622306 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

The reason Craig got booed is beaches for those in the stands knight got cleaned up on an illegal screen and for all around looked concussed. On the next play Craig exaggerates the contact, it wasn't to his head at all and gets the call. Classic nbl refs butchering the situation.

Reply #622307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Anyone see the Kenny out of bounds call? Looked in by a mile at the game"

I thought that was well in too, would like to see a replay of it

Reply #622308 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

"And on a side note, what kind of dim-witted muppet decides that FRIDAY night, with 12k people at the Arena, is the best time to shut down the trains?"

There was also Chinese New Year celebrations at Elizabeth quay. Absolutely moronic planning.

Reply #622309 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Which train line was shit down ?

Reply #622310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson has no qualms in benching Prather and McKay when they are not performing

Reply #622311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@train

your name is train, surely you'd know ;)

Reply #622312 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Also if redhage went down like Craig would you all be explaining in detail the "contact" that occurred?

Reply #622314 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"your name is train, surely you'd know ;)"

Haha, I'll pay that

Reply #622315 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Northern trains only run as far as Stirling, then buses only run as far as Joondalup.
So if you live north of there and catch the train to work (as my daughter does) you're stuffed.

And this after the government keeps encouraging people having a night out to use trains, rather than DUI or wait 3 hours for a taxi. Uber will be doing well tonight.

Reply #622316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#DeleteUber

Reply #622317 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Have you noticed how many calls the refs get completely wrong that happen right in front of Gleeson?
Either they are doing it deliberately to wind him up, or it is some kind of subconscious effect that causes them to look away whenever they see Trev.

Reply #622319 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

F$@k, we say it every game but the refs are f$&@kt. We won by 31with half a bullets team. But geez, shocking and the three amigos will decide the champions not the players.

Reply #622320 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Actually thought the refs were okay, a lot better than recent games. Only issue was so many illegal screens making parts of it a shit game to watch, but at least the calls were balanced to both teams.

Reply #622326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Transperth has learned their lesson regarding shutting trains down after event.

No train was shut down util well after the game last night.

Reply #622331 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

‏@PerthWildcats
Matt Knight hasn't travelled to Cairns and will miss tomorrow's game as a precaution, after taking a knock to the head in last night's win.

Reply #622385 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

we're stuffed

Reply #622392 | Report this post

RedArmy  
Years ago

It just means that Brandt and McKay will need to step up. I'd still expect us to win. We got to rest a lot of the starters in the fourth last night.

Reply #622403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think we've seen it, but just an idea, could McKay and Brandt both coexist on the floor together in short bursts?

They are both very mobile for big men, reasonably skilled and Brandt has an alright jump shot on him (not like Matty's mid range though). I don't think you'd want to use it all the time, but I'd like to see it for a little just to see what would happen. If it works it would help when Knights out and give us another option for our lineups.

Reply #622406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire could also play more given his hot form. He can handle himself on the boards as a PF

Reply #622417 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:57 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754