Dazzamaniac
Years ago

Thoughts on Prathers shoe selection

Casey Prather is known to wear RETRO Jordan's when he plays. He's also shown to be carrying a lingering leg injury.

Could the two be LINKED?

Should HE consider switching to more CONTEMPORARY sneakers instead of retro Jordan's with 15+ year old TECHNOLOGY in them?

Topic #40775 | Report this topic

Scopes44  
Years ago

Great post.
I love my shoes, and I tend to agree. I've tried wearing retros and reissued shoes and my feet hurt. And I'm crap, can't imagine a pro using these when so much is out there to protect them.
I also think (no science) that low tops for big players is asking for trouble.

Reply #622028 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

You're grasping at straws thinking his injury troubles are connected to his shoe choice.

Your assumption that low tops are bad for big's is also wrong.

Reply #622029 | Report this post

Dazzamaniac  
Years ago

Shoe choice CAN be connected to injuries.

Trying playing in a pair of Air Force ones and then a pair of 2016 Basketball shoes. There is a MASSIVE difference.

High tops only give you that mental protection that your ankles MIGHT be safer, but it really doesn't make a difference. If you jump and land on someones foot you are going to roll your ankle.

Keeping in mind many players strap their ankles and wear orthodics, shoe choice CAN affect players.

The retro's Prather chooses to wear aren't always made for actual Basketball use. The materials aren't optimized for basketball play.

It's only a small thing, but maybe it's a small contribution to a much BIGGER issue.

Reply #622032 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

The retro shoes Prather wears aren't designed for basketball use?

I'm not even going to continue.

Reply #622033 | Report this post

Dazzamaniac  
Years ago

The aren't... they once were, but the way they are released now are LIFESTYLE releases.

For example. An original Jordan 7 would have been released with an all LEATHER upper, now they are released with other materials more suited to enhance the colour, look and feel of the shoe rather than the PERFORMANCE side of things.

This is common knowledge, something you clearly lack.

Reply #622034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm no expert on styles but his majority red nikes seem to be more slippery in game than the majority black ones with the red strappy bit.

Reply #622037 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

The VII has a full leather upper.
The X had a suede/nubuck, which is no less a quality of product to be used for a basketball sneaker. The X even actually has leather on the shoe as well to lock down the laces.

What do you think basketball shoes were made of before flywire, hyperfuse or any other kind of knit, mesh or product introduced in the last 10 years?

Hopefully you cool down from the flaming before responding.

Reply #622038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure who is trolling who!

Reply #622040 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

Wilt Chamberlain played in Chuck Taylor's . End of thread

Reply #622043 | Report this post

Dazzamaniac  
Years ago

It's NOT JUST the materials, it's the form, cut and design of new sneakers.

Sure the retro Jordan's were great for Michael, but he was the best player ever. Prather isn't. He'd be better off in a contemporary pair of shoes.

Reply #622048 | Report this post

Dazzamaniac  
Years ago

Stats weren't all that accurate when Wilt was playing.

Reply #622049 | Report this post

- - Rod  
Years ago

It's funny, Jordan never had many injuries playing in his shoes!

Reply #622052 | Report this post

Dazzamaniac  
Years ago

Jordan BROKE his FOOT while playing in the Air Jordan Twos.

But he was the GREATEST. So he's the exception.

This isn't about Jordan. This is about Prather, who clearly HAS an ongoing leg INJURY.

Reply #622053 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

Is it the shoes?

Reply #622057 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Stick decent orthodic sports innersoles in the Jordan 3's 4's or 5's and they are sweet.

He wouldn't be buying the shoes from footlocker, sticking them on his feet and hitting the court. I doubt many of the players would, in any shoe.

Reply #622058 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

The RE releases are not the same as the originals. But how can you expect a signature shoe to always be compatible with other players.
He probably likes the way they feel so it's his and other players issue.
I see David Andersen wears low tops and he hurt himself, but he did wear them for years. So who knows. I think shoes play a part so does, knee guards, under garment pads etc etc. You body compensates for less strength and imbalances.

Reply #622060 | Report this post

Dazzamaniac  
Years ago

The KEY is more players USE orthodics with whatever shoes they wear, also they have their ankles/knees/arms taped as well.

Reply #622061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you watched the last home game against Melbourne, Prather was wearing a pair of Nike Zoom Kobe icons. He was sliding all over the place, thought he may change shoes but he stuck with them and was struggling in them noticeably.

Reply #622069 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I could finish this off, but nahhhhhhhh

Reply #622071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually last game Prather was wearing some NIKE Gloves. I don't know if they were the retros or the updated version. But they were all red. He wore them in warm ups at least.

Reply #622073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No they arent Nike gloves, anon is right, they are kobe icons.

Reply #622078 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

Lol they aren't gloves, they are kobe icon 'china's

Reply #622079 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I don't THINK you NEED to capitalise every other WORD.

Reply #622086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I recently bought a pair of Kyrie 2's

Hands down the worst pair of shoes I have purchased for basketball other than the KD 4's

while the grip was good, the rigid upper cut into my ankle repeatedly, even after me giving it the benefit of the doubt thinking they would break in - but to no avail.

Having a pair of Jordan 6 lows sitting in the cupboard gathering dust, i decided it was time to break them out on the court.

Easily one of the best shoes I have played in, the nice comfortable feel outperforms any modern shoe i have bought within years.

Reply #622087 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

I agree with you on the Kyrie 2s, a noticed a number of nbl players started wearing them and then switched after a game or 2 aswell.

Reply #622088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone that suggests that shoes can't cause injuries or stress to the feet and more isn't getting it.

Reply #622089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are cars more efficient and comfortable than cars from 40 years ago, yes, but classic cars are extremely popular. Same with kicks.
Hardly think shoes will make a difference in causing injuries,imagine the lawsuits if it's proved Jordan's caused injuries. Obviously Prather has an existing injury that hasn't recovered, a professional athlete wouldn't put his career in jeopardy wearing shoes.

Reply #622092 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"causing injuries" might be over-stating things a bit, but there's no doubt that when you play a lot of basketball, wearing the correct shoes for your feet can make a hell of a difference. It certainly did to me back in the day.

Reply #622095 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Love sneakers!

Any shoe can cause an injury if it is not fitted or faulty, old or new, or you are wearing them when you hurt yourself.

Everyone values something different, the usual compromise is court feel for cushion. Retros usually have more cushion, new shoes often have less cushion and more court feel, however some have firmer vs softer cushion they all differ.

After Agent zero wore dolce and gabanas in an NBA game and Thabo Sefalosha wore air max trainers (i think) it really comes down to preference.

Lot's of players slip all the time, it is a court issue not a shoe issue in the nbl (In my opinion)

Should he wear new shoes, no. He should wear what ever makes him comfortable.

I have been contemplating Harden 1's or Lillard 3's, but will probably get the NIke air zoom generation (Lebron 1's) when they re-release. Why I went undefeated in them in high school and love the shoe, will they be the most comfortable? I don't jump high enough for it to matter anymore!

Reply #622096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather warmed up in all red Gloves. Not the kobes. He played in the kobes.

Reply #622100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Developed stress fractures in my foot from playing on bitumen in Nike Free Runs. Obviously these aren't basketball shoes, but got told that injury may not have occurred if wearing proper kicks. I remember Earnest Ross playing in Jordan Futures (lifestyle shoe) fot the Cats and then a few games later he snapped his achilles.

Reply #622102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I used to read into all the technicals of this this stuff as a sneaker head. At the end of the day a player knows what they feel for comfortable in and we have no clue. Interesting discussion, but when Zach lavine is wearing retro 6s and Thabo sefalosha is rocking in air max 90s... yes air max 90 running shoes, you have to leave it with the consumer who's knows their own feet and skills movement they can get from wearing them better than anyone else. Again I would've always thought the new shoes have better technology etc but when nba money is on the line and guys are rolling in retros, what do I really know. I just assume.

Reply #622104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No he didn't, he wore the icons in warmup and the game. I know this cos me and the dude that sits next to me both have a pair and we commented on it during the warm up.

Reply #622110 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754