Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL Round 17

3 rounds left and there's a serious 3-way fight between Townsville, Bendigo & Canberra for that 4th spot.

Fri:
Adelaide Lightning v UC Capitals - 19:30 (Free entry!!)

Sat:
Dandenong Rangers v Townsville Fire - 18:30

Sun:
Bendigo Spirit v Townsville Fire - 15:00
Melbourne Boomers v Sydney Uni Flames - 15:00
Perth Lynx v UC Capitals - 14:00

Topic #40782 | Report this topic

NBL Comm  
Years ago

Which games are going to be streamed live?

Reply #622190 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Adelaide & Dandenong home games are always streamed live on Youtube.
Melbourne home games are usually streamed live on Deakin University's Facebook page.
So I'm guessing we'll get 3 out of the 5 this weekend. Unfortunately not Spirit-Fire, which should be a great game.

Reply #622194 | Report this post

Bobby  
Years ago

3 out of 5 is a good effort. Shame Lynx pulled the plug. A club going backwards.

Reply #622215 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sadly yes, after the big splash last season with the re-launched Lynx, there has been a noticeable drop-off by the club in terms of what happens on game nights. There's not even a post-game function anymore. Even in the days of the original cellar-dwelling Lynx it was still good to grab a drink after the games and hear a few words from the coaches and one of the players. I don't think disconnecting the fans from the team is a smart move.

Reply #622223 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lightning undermanned tonight but still matching it with the Caps so far

Reply #622247 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So Townsville went to Dandenong yesterday and took down the Rangers, who had no answer for Suzy Batkovic. They backed their own quickness over Suzy's size, but it didn't come off. Scherf only 5:35 of court time, in a worrying sign for how little faith they have in her.

Heaps at stake in today's Spirit-Fire traditional rivalry game. Pity this one is radio coverage only. Fresh FM, Bendigo:
http://tunein.com/radio/Fresh-FM-1015-s154495/

Canberra are still alive too. Winning in Perth is a tough ask, but Ruef & Tolo can definitely trouble us inside. Lynx are running into some nice form with Phillips back and Butler starting to be more aggressive, but I'm a little nervous about this one. Caps will be desperate.

Reply #622562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The boomers go down again and again

Reply #622773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spirit dug themselves a huge hole, was always going to be a mammoth task.

Batkovic doing the usual. Griffin stroking it and a crazy shot off a screen from the 3pt line all in one motion and nailed it.

Reply #622811 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Heard that one on the radio on the way to the Lynx game. Heck of a comeback but pretty disappointing to get down by 25 in the first place, at home with that much at stake.

Caps looked good at times today but I thought they failed badly to beat us inside. Tolo & Ruef are such a good combo, but they didn't see enough ball in the right spots.
Meanwhile Sami was a frikken machine as usual. So good to watch. 27 points, 7 boards, 5 assists, 4 steals.

Reply #622856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great work by the Fire to take down the difficult Victorian double. Suzy showed herself to be the superstar she is whilst she received some stellar support from Cocks, Murray, Wilson and Garbin over the past two days.

Is any team locked into a playoff scenario?

Reply #622863 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The playoff picture is far from set.
I'd say it's pretty unlikely that the top 4 teams will change from here, but this season you just never know.

I'm going to wait until the Basket Case people update their head-to-head splits chart before even trying to work out what order things might finish in, but:

Flames 16-6
Rangers 14-7
Lynx 14-7
Fire 13-9
Spirit 11-10
Capitals 11-10

* Flames play Rangers (Home), Adelaide (H) so should finish 1st
* Rangers play Fire (A), Flames (A), Lynx (H). 3 tough games.
* Lynx play Boomers (H), Rangers (A), Spirit (A). Very tough road back-to-back.
* Fire play Rangers (H), Capitals (H).
* Spirit play Capitals (A), Boomers (A), Lynx (H)
* Capitals play Spirit (H), Lightning (H), Fire (A)

Reply #622897 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ok this is what I was waiting for, courtesy of @TheCaseBNE

Reply #622968 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

D'oh. Looks like the board software shrinks large images, so that's unreadable.
Image is here: WNBL Splits after Round 17

Basically, in the fight for 4th:
* Townsville win the split over Bendigo, but are trailing Canberra 1-2 with 1 game to play
* Bendigo lead Canberra 2-1 but still have 1 game to play

Reply #622971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pritchard must have the blow torch under him, a much healthier roster this year and have lost 5 of the past 6 since the break? Highly likely to miss the finals yet again.

Reply #623083 | Report this post

Boomers fan  
Years ago

Watched the Boomers vs Sydney - feels like a broken record. Boomers have nailed these competitive losses. Scores tied with 3 mins to go, but you just knew the Boomers would find a way to lose.

The quality of imports was the difference in the game. Asia Taylor was everywhere, and comfortably BOG, while Hamson either blocked or changed every shot taken in the key, while Keane continued jacking up ill advised mid range jumpers, and blowing defensive match ups. Think there will be a sizable change in the roster for the Boomers.

Reply #623175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy and the players attitude = sucks

Reply #623181 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't even know that the roster changes need to be that sizeable. They've got some capable players there.
Get a better import and swap out one other front court player and they're suddenly a pretty deep and balanced roster IMO.

Then there's just the part about playing well as a team ...

Reply #623188 | Report this post

Boomers fan  
Years ago

Really impressed with Monique Conti the last few games. Her on ball defence is fantastic. Just need to stick a higher % of open jumpers. She kept Mitchell in check for the majority of the game Sunday.

Reply #623221 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

It'd be so frustrating being a boomers player right now after all the close losses they've copped. I agree that a major overhaul on the roster isn't really needed, it's really just a few missing pieces that hopefully with a full pre-season to sign players, those pieces will be found. Though if I'm being honest, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the core players decided to leave after this season, although I hope that my hunch is incorrect.

Conti has been great, I think recently she's really adjusted to the style of play at the highest level and has come on in leaps and bounds from the start of the season.

Reply #623222 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:52 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754