Anonymous
Years ago

United vs Hawks, Feb 6

Previous meetings this season

R14 Hawks 106 to United 88
R5 Hawks 82 to United 73
R2 United 95 to Hawks 83

Hawks lead series 2-1 with a 15 point differential.

Topic #40797 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Another brilliant match-up heading into the finals.

United are $1.67 favourites.

Either team could get momentum going now after their previous wins.

Reply #622944 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Should be a corker.
A lot rides on this one for both teams.
Fingers crossed for a close one.

Reply #622951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hawks lead series 2-1 with a 15 point differential."

United to win by 16. Ogilvy and Clarke to foul out at the start of the third quarter, Bevo to be ejected while parking his car when he arrives at the stadium.

Reply #622954 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I think this game is going to be won and lost on the boards. If Utd win the rebound count, they'll win the game.

Reply #623001 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If Hawks win this, they can pretty much lock down 2nd spot. (I don't see Brissy putting up too much of a fight next round.)

But this is a MUST win for MU.
They need to win their remaining 3 games to finish on 15. 14 won't do it for them.

I think today they will be too good at home.

Reply #623006 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Yes, $500 on Melbourne, and $250 on Melbourne giving up a 2.5pts start.

Hawks would want to win this game, but Melbourne are hard to beat at home.

Reply #623013 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

‏@NBL
Confirmed. The roof WILL be open for tonight's clash!

Reply #623045 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

37-37 at half time in these shooting-unfriendly conditions

Reply #623054 | Report this post

PFS  
Years ago

Small bit of useless info: two players for Melbourne played for the Hawks as "kids": Kyle Adnum and David Andersen.

Reply #623060 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Lasan Kromah. Anyone know what the deal is?

Reply #623061 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

United wins it 78-72 and they jump from 7th to 3rd.

Reply #623062 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Kromah didn't see court time. Does that mean he's out of Finals now?

Reply #623065 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks looked good in patches, but 38% from the field and the turnover disparity wasn't going to gift them anything on the road. Boone with 20 and 12 was devastating.

I'm obviously biased, but I think the Hawks have Forman too far down the rotation. 12 points and +5 in 11:57. Ellis looked like the future towards the tail of last season, but hasn't been too good this year.

Hendo, no, I think he just needs to be dressed and on the bench and scoresheet?

Reply #623066 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

I'm with you about Ellis Isaac.

No need for him in the main rotation. Even if Oscar is well defended his presence opens up the lanes as does Clarkes so it leaves a lot more space for the bigs and Norton and Harris to do work in the paint.

Reply #623074 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Oscar was lights out tonight. I was at the game and extremely impressed with how he moved without the ball in his incited minutes.

It's horseshit Bevo doesn't use him more.

Reply #623077 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

*Limited ^^^

In other news, open air ball is terrific.

Reply #623078 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Hawks lineup and rotation is weird in general. Rotnei should be starting and Forman deserves way more minutes.

Reply #623080 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think Clarke comes off the bench for balance. He's clearly their best player but I never understood the signing of both him & Harris and Harris seems a bit of a sulker so if Harris were coming off the bench you might lose him mentally and the spin-off effect on the rest of the bench.

Reply #623086 | Report this post

Em  
Years ago

Great grind out win by melbourne.
Certainly did not rely on the 3 ball in this one
The shots were not really falling for Goulding tonight but he started driving to the basket to score instead.
Boone was fantastic.

Now NZ.......

Reply #623087 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I have to add how much better has Josh Boone been then the near useless Devin Williams too.

Reply #623088 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well, on the upside, that was nowhere near Melbourne's best game tonight but it still felt like they'd win it. Never felt in doubt (even though a Nick Kay 3 would've made it a 3 point ballgame with...20 seconds left?).

So hopefully Casper and CG43 were saving their best form for Friday!

Reply #623106 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Illawarra really need combos of Clarke and Coenraad or Forman out there because the rest aren't particularly clean shooters. Kay and Ogilvy are not going to get room to operate otherwise.

Instead, Coenraad only 14:30 and Forman 11:57. Even Clarke only played 28:28 while United had three starters playing 34+ minutes.

Play for the win to lock up your ladder position as early as you can.

Reply #623164 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Poor effort by United. Goulding strength is also his weakness. He can't resist degree of difficulty bombs. He settled for taking it to the hoop and this helped United. This was a game they should have had in the bag in the first half and cruised home. Illawarra hung in there as they do without really looking likely. They need scoreboard pressure to be on the other team down the stretch.
Very impressed with Ware's defensive effort on Rotonei Clarke if it is possible to defend him.
To me Melbourne play at a level that just keeps the other team in the game.

Reply #623185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hawks lineup and rotation is weird in general. Rotnei should be starting"

Illawarra are 4-6 with Clarke starting and 10-7 with him off the bench. I'm not sure what starting him would achieve that bringing him off the bench doesn't?

Reply #623187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom, you're right about Goulding's questionable shot selection but Copeland, Shane Heal and many great NBL players have had questionable shot selection. So does Steph Curry. If they fall we say CG's the best, if they don't- like last night- we question his shot selection. I kind of try to live with the good and bad, cos overall he's a star who has a positive impact on the team.

I blame DD for not putting the Hawks away.

14-4 start, UTD dominating. Two poor possessions, Hawks quickly get it back to 14-8. DD panics, calls a time out and makes three subs, including Adnam on for Casper. For the remainder of the first half, DD makes a sub about every 11 seconds and United has zero rhythm. Second half, as soon as DD lets his best guys play for continous stretches again Melbourne controls and contest again and never really looks like losing.

DD- maybe there's a lesson in all of that.

Reply #623189 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^me

Reply #623190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forman playing 11:58 considering the lock in shooting he was displaying is insane. Bevo for made to look dumb when he finally came back in with 6minutes to play and hit 2 more 3s, the one thing they lacked all game.

Reply #623193 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:10 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754