Dazzamaniac
Years ago

Wildcats fan guide to the playoffs

To kind of simplify - lets say we lock in some results.

Say Illawarra beat Brisbane. We beat Sydney and lose to Melbourne. If that happens and:

-Cairns split with Adelaide and NZ beat Melbourne, we miss out.

-Cairns beat Adelaide twice and NZ beat Melbourne, we miss out.

-Cairns lose twice to Adelaide and NZ beat Melbourne we make it.

-Cairns split with Adelaide and Melb beat NZ, we make it.

-Cairns beat Adelaide twice and Melb beat NZ, we make it.

-Cairns lose twice to Adelaide and Melb beat NZ, we make it.

So ideally we want that Adelaide win to come nice and early (tonight) so it relieves pressure - but it wont as thats the way our season has gone – constant stress and pressure! ahaha

Best result: Adelaide win tonight and Melbourne beat NZ on Friday afternoon, we then go in to Friday nights game v Sydney knowing that if we win we secure our finals position and we can celebrate at that game our 31st straight finals position! That would be pretty cool...

Topic #40819 | Report this topic

TimberBall  
Years ago

So just to clarify, if we win vs Syd and Melb we are in no matter how the other results go?

Reply #623550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Used to be our guide to the playoffs was just "buy tickets and watch them play" but not this year!

Reply #623552 | Report this post

Dazzamaniac  
Years ago

TimberBall - I believe you are correct.

Reply #623553 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes, correct.
According to the Wildcats:

"With two wins this weekend, the Wildcats give themselves a very good chance of securing second place on the ladder and home court advantage in the semi-finals.

The only team that could bump the Wildcats to third in this situation is the Cairns Taipans. If they beat the league-leading Adelaide 36ers twice this weekend AND Illawarra defeat Brisbane, there will be a three-way tie between the Wildcats, Taipans and Hawks. This leads to a "mini-ladder" tie-breaker situation, where Cairns go above Perth"

Reply #623554 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I'd be surprised if the Wildcats don't make it.

Reply #623558 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Say Illawarra beat Brisbane. We beat Sydney and lose to Melbourne. If that happens and:

-Cairns split with Adelaide and NZ beat Melbourne, we miss out.

This actually feels the most likely of this weeks results. However, nothing likely has happened this season, so why would it now?

Reply #623559 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Not holding my breath, put it that way. Save a bit of cash this year.

Reply #623570 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

I observed if the Cats don't play selfish and increase assists, they will win.

Biggest culprits are the few main scorers (not consistent): Prather, Wagstaff and Knight.

Jarrod has to perform else he is heading home next year, his role taken over by Bragg.

Reply #623581 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Wildcats will have to be the hungriest they've been all season this weekend, we'll see how much they really want it

Reply #623598 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Cats have their destiny in their own hands. Both games are "winnable" (but not easy.) Win both, they are in like stink.
They have the best opportunity of any team (besides the 6's obs). Its up to them how hard they go after it. No excuses.

Reply #623606 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'll also say, that whilst I think it would be kinda sad for the league to have the record streak end, having a finals series without the Cats would also be a great outcome for the league. Especially if Cairns do make it.

Reply #623608 | Report this post

Dazzamaniac  
Years ago

The best outcome for the league is for Perth and NZ out of the playoffs. From a marketing perspective.

Reply #623613 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Dazzamaniac??? No, just No. in no way is it BETTER for the league to not have its 2 biggest markets in the playoffs.

Reply #623621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats won't beat united. And adelaide will drop at home. Night night pussy cats.

Reply #623630 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Cats still control their destiny but they need to pick up the intensity

Reply #623632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timberball, United and Sydney are MUCH BIGGER markets. We arent discussing success, but markets, and its NSW and VIC. Period.

Reply #623635 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Cairns split with Adelaide and Melb beat NZ, we make it.

-Cairns beat Adelaide twice and Melb beat NZ, we make it.

These two are most likely now. I reckon Melbourne can do the job with Casper and Goulding. They just need some support.

Reply #623636 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

^^^ The game is in NZ though

Cairns will most likely split with Adelaide but

United v Breakers ?????????????????? too tough to call

Reply #623639 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

What I mean by biggest markets is the amount of money the NBL can get, they can get more with a Perth crowd.

Reply #623650 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't know how much more money the NBL gets for a Perth final, as opposed to say a Melbourne final?

I obviously want the Cats in there, my point was just that if they don't make it, its probably more encouraging to the fans of other teams, especially the team that did.

Perth fans would expect the Cats to rebound, so we're not going to desert. But making the finals could be a huge boon to another team.

Reply #623653 | Report this post

Bobby  
Years ago

Heads will roll at the Wildcats if they don't make the finals.

Knight, Redhage, Prather, McKay, Hire, Wagstaff, Wroe had better watch out.

Centres next year will probably be Brandt and perhaps Jervis.

Reply #623685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't know how much more money the NBL gets for a Perth final, as opposed to say a Melbourne final?"

3,500 x the finals levy (is it $5?)

Reply #623687 | Report this post

serballin  
Years ago

Anyone else think that Perth winning tonight's game is anything but a forlorn conclusion?

Not saying Sydney deserve it more or anything and I think it will be a really close game but it just hasn't been the same Perth team we've been accustomed to the last few years. Not that I'm a hater, I actually respect Perth's defence, toughness and physicality, but there's been a lot of bad about Perth this year: horrible offence, constant whining, inability to bury teams when ahead...and let's not forget having the honour of being the only team to cut the same player twice in a season!

I can definitely see Gazey riling up the troops and Newley/Lisch and perhaps even Moller stepping up to get Sydney an unlikely win in Perth tonight. Sydney don't play again so this is it for them.

Reply #623695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foregone conclusion, maybe?

Reply #623696 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Foregone conclusion, maybe?"

Far from it, I'd say.

;)

Reply #623700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foghorn Legclusion?

Reply #623703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Revised guide:

Win twice or go home.

Reply #623822 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

If Illawarra lose to Bullets, 36ers beat Carins and Perth Beat Sydney but lose to Untied - we end up in 5 team mini ladder. Who goes through in that situation?

Reply #623837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was thinking the same thing Train. Feel free to calculate the mini league and get back to us with the results. Thanks.

Reply #623840 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

According to the NBL, if the Cats win tonight it will eliminate Melbourne. Will be a nice bonus for us if they have nothing to play for on Sunday.

Reply #623841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go Kings, make it interesting right to the end.

Reply #623843 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

If Perth beat Sydney but lose too United, Cairns lose to 36ers and Illawarra lose to Brisbane then Illawarra, Melbourne, Perth, Cairns and New Zealand all finish up on 14-14

Cairns would finish 2nd Breakers 3rd and Cats 4th. Hawks and United would miss the finals.

Reply #623864 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

We need to win tonight. Simple.
We're at home, its our best shot.

If we win, MU have nothing to play for on Sunday, and that might make things easier.

Reply #623866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

> We need to win tonight. Simple.

You said that last week too but mathematically I still don't think it is true tonight either

Reply #623870 | Report this post

NBL Comm  
Years ago

Can the Wildcats make the finals if Brisbane and Adelaide win but Wildcats lose to Melbourne?

Reply #624032 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes. If Brisbane win they're in, otherwise they need to beat Melbourne.

Reply #624042 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:52 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754