Dazz
Years ago

Should Knight retire?

Serious Question.

I only know as much about head injuries as your average joe. They're bad.

I know we joke about it, Hoops could run a pool on what round Matty will get concussed in. But when do these repeated concussions start to become a problem. We're seen AFL players retire "early" after one too many knocks.

I love Matty, and just assumed he'd be around for a couple more years at least. But not if it threatens his health.
He's still got most of his life ahead of him. I don't want to read in ten years time that he can't hold down a job because of migraines or vision problems.

Obs they'll have medical advice, better than what people on the net think, but just wondering if anyone had any experience or insight?

Or even opinions? Its his livelihood, and his time to shine, but as a fan I'd hate to think he was risking himself for our entertainment.

Topic #40822 | Report this topic

Dazzamaniac  
Years ago

Classic Dazz thread! Love it.

Reply #623612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz risks himself for our entertainment

Reply #623624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Based on his career of injury history alone for sure.
The concussion thing with him is a ticking time bomb. Get out while you can and hopefully the long term impacts of CTE won't affect Knight.

Reply #623627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't say I'm expecting him to or that he should, but definitely wouldn't be surprised if he does. He's getting up there in age now (even though age wise he could go a bit longer). Had plenty of serious injuries over the years and needs to think long term about his health. Some games this year he seems a bit cooked and just not his usual self.

Would love the cats to go after someone like Motum if we did lose Knight.

Reply #623629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha Dazz definitely risks himself for our entertainment! I dont know dazz, guess best to leave this sort of thing to the professionals rather than the opinion of someone who has less than no clue.

Reply #623634 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Ignore the anontrolls, Dazz. It's a good question. There are all too many blokes (for the most part) who've stayed too long in a sport and done themselves serious long term damage. Just look at Mundine. If he'd left rugby league at 15, he might have some semblance of intelligence.

All jokes aside, Knight has been a great player for a long time. He's arguably the best Aussie PF of the last ten years. Quite apart from his injury concerns, would he want to play another year and stand around like a deer in the headlights a la Flophage this year?

Reply #623638 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Approx how many concussions has Knight suffered during his NBL career? And how many in the past season or two?

Reply #623641 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It might not even be just diagnosed concussions? He hit his head earlier this season, but just shrugged it off. Does it all add up?

Reply #623643 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Dunno- maybe.

These are the questions they'll be looking at though- how many serious concussions, mild concussions etc. Those are the sorts of questions being thrown around when these discussions have come up involving footy players, like Johnathon Brown for instance. These things generally get worse with time. A future concussion is more likely to cause issues for Knight if he's had concussions previously.

Reply #623646 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Sadly i reckon hes finished. Hes too injury prone now and for his own well being he should hang it up.
Loved him as a player, so tough and when in form had a sweet mid range jumper which in recent years have seen less of with his dodgy shoulders. Was hoping hed still be around for a few years yet but it looks unlikely.

Reply #623647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should retire but the way Dazz comments is as though he deserves an actual say. The man is a walking concussion sadly the damage for later on most probably has already been done.

Reply #623657 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Think he could play well as a depth player, especially if he gets that mid range shot back to its best.

But it's an awkward position as injury to a starter would force him onto more minutes increasing the risk. Like someone said above we don't know the severity, not sure if comparisons to Jonathon Brown are valid though. Browns face was basically shattered and held together with plates.

Reply #623661 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He should retire but the way Dazz comments is as though he deserves an actual say. The man is a walking concussion sadly the damage for later on most probably has already been done
Seriously? You think Knight doesn't deserve a say in his own future?
WTF?

Reply #623674 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think the part of having a say in it might have been the assumption that Knight is too far past the point of actually having a choice and SHOULD retire for his own health?

It's disappointing to think about, but with the injuries and the chance of it getting worse I'm pretty sure Matty will have a long hard think about it over the off season and make the right call... Having a young family really puts that sort of thing into perspective...

Reply #623680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Seriously? You think Knight doesn't deserve a say in his own future? WTF?"
It's should never be in the players hands Dazz.
"He hit head earlier in the season and shrugged it off" That simply shows that the medical staff aren't doing their job.
Objectivity goes out the door when the player is left to decide.
If you want to learn about the seriousness of concussion have a read here.
http://sma.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/SMA-Position-Statement_Concussion-190815.pdf

Reply #623682 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Knight's zest is still there but his shots are not justifying his place in the team.

Hopefully tonight will see some old fire coming back, and change people's confidence that all is not lost.

Reply #623728 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It will take a grater effort to get more zest from Matty

Reply #623731 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"He hit head earlier in the season and shrugged it off" That simply shows that the medical staff aren't doing their job.
no, it was simply not as severe.
But as I said, its possible they all add up.

I'm no medical expert, but I certainly don't underestimate the effect of repeated knocks to the head, that's the whole reason for this thread.

The head is hard, but the brain is the most wondrously complex organ in the body, and I don't imagine it takes much to cause damage. As I said, I don't want to read in ten years time that Matty is suffering ill effects.

Funny as it sounds when we talk about an athlete nearing the end of their career, he is actually a young man with most of his life ahead of him.

Gotta be honest, as a fan I hope he's "well enough to play" tonight. But what does that mean?
If the doctors say that he's now risking permanent damage, I'd rather he retires immediately.

Most athletes end up with some little niggling injuries, dodgy knees, or whatever. But the brain is too important to risk that kind of outcome.

Reply #623757 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

"wondrously"

WTF is that?

Reply #623759 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"These are the questions they'll be looking at though- how many serious concussions, mild concussions etc. Those are the sorts of questions being thrown around when these discussions have come up involving footy players, like Johnathon Brown for instance. These things generally get worse with time"

There is no such thing as a mild of serious concussion you either have one or you don't come on people leave it to the doctors.

Reply #623769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nah screw the doctors opinion and matty's opinion we are in a much better position to speculate

Reply #623775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A couple of seasons ago wasn't it said by the Cats if he had one more concussion that would be it. Fast forward to now and he's had at least a few more since... :x

Reply #623784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They never said that.

Reply #623785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they did.

Reply #623788 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ excellent points on both sides there

Reply #623789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Luuuc.

Reply #623790 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

There is no such thing as a mild of serious concussion
of course there is. a Single blow to the head could bee anything from nothing, to fatal, or anywhere in between.

And clearly, they DO add up, or it wouldn't be an issue.

Reply #624583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This just shows you how much of an idiot you are Dazz. Getting up and shrugging it off doesn't mean he is OK. A medical assessment needs to be provided depending on the situation.
If the head / brain is rattled around then it should be tested. I repeat again there is no such thing as a mild concussion. It is either a concussion or it isn't. Those are the rules.
Perhaps we could mic up the medical staff?

Reply #624624 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

This just shows you how much of an idiot you are Dazz. Getting up and shrugging it off doesn't mean he is OK.
Wow, talk about "going the full retard." Can we assume your expertise on brain damage comes from personal experience?

Not only did I never say "Getting up and shrugging it off" was ok,
I actually mentioned it specifically in the context of every bump potentially contributing.

I repeat again there is no such thing as a mild concussion.
Yeah, nice try, but you can't "repeat" what you didn't say.
Since you apparently also have short-term memory loss, I'll help you out.
There is no such thing as a mild of serious concussion
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant to say "or" but either way you're wrong.
According to an article on "Concussion and mild head injury", there are"At least 41 systems measure the severity, or grade, of a mild head injury"

Reply #624633 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Perhaps what you are trying to allude to, is that in modern sporting practice, any concussion is treated as serious for the purpose of determining return to play (rather than previous systems of using either a 3 step grading, or the later simple/complex.)

But that's NOT what this thread is about.

Reply #624635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great performance by Knight today especially that third quarter. Coming up big when it matters

Reply #624773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz clearly to many concussions which is what you keep posting.(Mod: Removed. Unnecessary.) Do some real research and please don't quote last century stuff. Doctor Google can be your friend if you know what you are researching. Try SCAT3. Or better.
Look up the AFL rules or the NRL rules for concussion.
Dazzed said "He hit his head earlier this season, but just shrugged it off" yet no comment from you about how that process could happen in the illustrious Wildcats system. Did Pottsy examine him? 1000% I bet he didn't.

Reply #624780 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think Ralph Malph was rostered on that night

Reply #624781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't know you could merely "shrug off" a concussion until now.

Reply #624790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#thethingsyoulearn

Reply #624791 | Report this post

LurkerMcLurkey  
Years ago

Dazz... you started this thread asking about should Knight retire.

People began talking about his concussions.

Then you say this thread isn't about concussions.

But concussions are a serious injury that Knight has, which would/could force him to retire at some point.

Dazz... you are not helping yourself out here.

Reply #624838 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

Is that it?

How can he continue?

Did not exactly see what happened, actually looked like it was the ball, but I'm assuming it was an elbow, either Coenrad coming through, or a Wildcats teammate.

Did not look like a massive blow, and he was out on his feet.

Have to say, credit to the Hawks fans, those near the Wildcats bench stood and clapped him off.

Reply #629366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Dazz

Reply #629367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% def.

Reply #629411 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

Just seemed like the most appropriate place to discuss his injury.

If it was Dazz he would have started another thread

Reply #629434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he should retire, I just don't think he can go on anymore. Needs to think of his future health, that many knocks to the head can be extremely dangerous.

If he's thinking of it, I really hope he announces it over the next few days. Then he can potentially get a proper send off from the Perth fans on Sunday, with a Championship and bow out with Redhage.

Reply #629436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should announce his retirement from the sidelines on Sunday when he won't be playing. If he is playing questions need to be asked why.

Reply #629471 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

PH, looked like Prather's fingers?! Worrying moment.

Reply #629472 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"He should announce his retirement from the sidelines on Sunday when he won't be playing. If he is playing questions need to be asked why."

Questions should also be asked about why he played the first two games, given he should have been suspended.

Reply #629473 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

He must have a seriously messed up squash. The contact from Prathers finger appeared unbelievably minor.

For his sake I hope he does announce his retirement and get his send off with Flophage when they win a championship in game 3.

Reply #629474 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

This definitely seems like the right spot to discuss, as surely this has to be the final straw for him? It's not like the connections between head injuries and problems later in life are a myth, and the possibilities of suffering long term damage are pretty high...

Would be nice to have him go out on a high on his home court with a championship though...

Reply #629476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Questions should also be asked about why he played the first two games, given he should have been suspended."

hahahahahahaha oh boy, still a bit salty Wilson?

Reply #629480 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

I saw that later on replay, definitely friendly fire from Prather.

Didn't look like much, he didn't go down, then suddenly he's staggering all over.

Would be great if the Wildcats could win on their home court (without him) and he could be the first to cut the net.

"This definitely seems like the right spot to discuss, as surely this has to be the final straw for him? It's not like the connections between head injuries and problems later in life are a myth, and the possibilities of suffering long term damage are pretty high..."

That was my thinking
I don't want to be accused of premature speculation, but he copped a whack that anyone else would have ignored, and suddenly he s punch drunk.

Commentator said he collapsed in the walk to the rooms and 3 blokes had to carry him. Not good.

Reply #629605 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

"Matt Knight has been a warrior for the Wildcats, claiming his third championship ring on Sunday.

Perth Wildcats veteran Matt Knight is preparing for retirement after being forced to sit out yesterday's championship-winning game against Illawarra because of concussion.

Knight will fly to Melbourne for tests with a neuropsychologist to determine whether he is risking his health by continuing to play."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/knight-set-to-call-it-a-day-over-health-risk-ng-b88405999z

Reply #630080 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754