Dazz
Years ago

Who'll be the 1st Coach Sacked?

Surely it's now curtains for DD?

Will Drewie survive, with Vickerman in the wings?

Topic #40832 | Report this topic

BOL  
Years ago

Wasn't there already a thread about this recently?

Its gotta be DD

Reply #623998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are trolling aren't you he as safe as houses.

Reply #623999 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Aiiight

Reply #624005 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

It shocks me that DD has helped coach NBA teams!! The guy has no fucking idea!!

Reply #624015 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

It shocks me that DD has helped coach NBA teams!! The guy has no fucking idea!!

Reply #624016 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The NBA game is not complicated. What we see as him not running sets or switching defences is actually what a lot of NBA teams do, put the talent in position and see what happens.

Reply #624030 | Report this post

mat  
Years ago

it has to be DD. i wouldn't mind seeing what mike kelly can do as a coach. knows the nbl and seems to be well respected by the players.
DD id a dud and players dont warm to him or listen to what he says.

Reply #624062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DD replaced by Goorijan. Expect an announcement in the next 2 weeks.

Reply #624064 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

DD for sure!
Vickerman to UTD?

Reply #624069 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

DD PLEASE!!!!!

I'll take Vickerman coming home to MU, or Mike Kelly, but please not Goorjian

Reply #624086 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #624095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman is the man, get him to United.

Reply #624132 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

DD runs United a lot like some NBA teams.

Differences between the two leagues mean you need more variety her, but still if you have the talent then it can work. Consider that United were 18-12 last season- including their 2-0 whitewash to NZ. And are 10-5 this season with a healthy Casper and CG43, where they both played out the game.

However yes, DD will go. Question is, who will replace him? There aren't many coaches with successful recent experience on the market, cos all the current coaches have won the last umpteen championships. Except- Vickerman and Goorjian. Before that, Westover.

Reply #624133 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Boti thinks they're after Vickerman.
Heck, if Sydney is going to persist with the Drewie & Lanard pony-show, then surely Vickerman would be eager to return to Melbourne.

And what about Dennis? Surely somebody will offer him a gig?

Reply #624148 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Where is Shawn Dennis? Guy can clearly coach. Maybe he is not so good at the kissing ass required, seems like a spade is a spade kind of guy.

Reply #624166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SD is in Japan.

Reply #624169 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

^ And?

Reply #624232 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

I'm of the theory that DD's departure will be a mutual agreement. He doesn't look happy, team is inconsistent, players don't appear to have a positive relationship with him. Seems obvious.

I'd hazard a guess the remaining coaches are safe.

Reply #624292 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

DD replaced by Goorijan. Expect an announcement in the next 2 weeks.
Goorj cools on United
Two hours apart. Impressive.

I'd hazard a guess the remaining coaches are safe.
Gleeson's fate may well hinge on tomorrow's result.

Reply #624325 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"United were 18-12 last season- including their 2-0 whitewash to NZ. And are 10-5 this season with a healthy Casper and CG43, where they both played out the game."

Yes, but when it's come down the crunch both seasons they've come up well short despite very good talent last year and great talent this year.

The evidence suggests they're not winning two playoff series in a row under DD.

Reply #624331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demopoulos is the obvious candidate.

Despite my early-season certainty that Joey would be out the door (hey, I'm not Pat Malone on that one,) he's coach of the year material unless Cairns or Illawarra win the chip. Still, there have been 36ers fans baying for his blood again after four straight losses.

What about Gleeson? How much does his tenure in Perth depend on the outcome of today's game?

Paul Henare's bona fides have been called into question, but a late season run and the Breakers' culture of loyalty should see him safe.

I think Gaze is safe, for at least next season. The Kings looked good, early, and had they recruited a third guard of quality at any stage of the season, may have made the finals. They had such a top heavy squad.

Fearne, like Henare, has saved his bacon with a brilliant finish for the Taipans. My main concern with him is that he seems to alienate players so quickly. I'm not sure the Taipans have the money to pay him out and hire a quality replacement.

Bevo and Lemonass are safe as houses. Kiss of death, perhaps? I think they're both safe.

Possible options for head coaching positions should include Mick Downer, who has a good temperament as well as basketball smarts, along with BG, Vickerman and Shawn Dennis. What about Ian Stacker or Gordie McLeod?

Reply #624332 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

^ That was me, if you want to throw bricks at anyone.

:-)

Reply #624337 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Other ex-NBL coaches that may still be around and available could be Alan Black, Brendan Joyce and Frank Arsego. I'm not up to date with their status though but someone here should know.

Reply #624385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arsego was recently appointed coach of the Singapore national team.

Joyce is cooked, you cannot consider him. Look at the debacle that was his tenure with the Opals even after two huge red flags that were his end at Hawks then Blaze. LOL @ BA

Alan Black not sure, Hawks/Kings/Cats/Taipans, a 15yr veteran NBL coach, kind of past his used by.

Reply #624389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Black is some kind of "coaching director" for basketball in Malaysia now.

Reply #624390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce us coaching seabl.

Reply #624408 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DD will be gone, obviously.

Wright will be COTY regardless of finals results IMO. Can't think of bigger turnarounds between pre-season expectations and regular season results.

Reply #624855 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

DD is out the door for sure... Looking at some of the timeouts in the game yesterday and the players weren't only not looking at him, but having their own conversations for a lot of them...

For better or worse, I think Gaze is safe, as above, at least for one more season, which would suck if Goorj is a viable option... I know, BG has a high price tag and brings a lot of costly staff and such with him, but he's worth it... Gaze brought a lot of profile to the team off the court though, and even people that don't really know basketball knew him, it wouldn't be the same with Goorj...

Reply #624868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ wookiee

Good point about gaze and profile, he got a lot bums on seats, I believe he can coach but must simplify his shuffle, he needs to select a few more team first type players and lose the love for Caddee a bit, needs a point guard to help out Lisch.
Love to see WMD back as the 4th guard and Moller move up the order a bit, no semifinals for kings but a good season to be a supporter, haven't had this much fun watching the kings since the Gordgian days but the crowds and atmosphere was crap compared to this past season.

Reply #624913 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:29 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754