Dazz
Years ago

The Final 3 Games - Outcomes

So we are down to 3 games, that gives us 8 possible sets of results.

HAWKS - ADELAIDE – MU
Hawks - clear in 2nd
Cairns – 3rd (mini-table)
NZ – 4th (Spilt)
Perth – 5th
MU – 6th

HAWKS – ADELAIDE – PERTH
Perth – 2nd (split)
Hawks – 3rd
Cairns – 4th (split)
NZ – 5th

HAWKS – CAIRNS – MU
Cairns – 2nd (split)
Hawks – 3rd
NZ – 4th (mini-table)
Perth – 5th
MU -6th

HAWKS – CAIRNS – PERTH
Cairns – 2nd (mini-table)
Perth – 3rd (mini-table or split)
Hawks – 4th

BB – ADELAIDE – MU
Cairns – 2nd (mini-table)
NZ – 3rd (split)
Perth – 4th
Hawks – 5th (split)
MU – 6th

BB – ADELAIDE – PERTH
Perth – 2nd (clear)
Cairns – 3rd (mini-table)
Hawks – 4th (mini-table or split)
NZ – 5th

BB – CAIRNS – MU
Cairns – 2nd (clear)
NZ – 3rd (mini-table)
Perth – 4th (mini-table or split)
Hawks -5th

BB – CAIRNS – PERTH
Perth – 2nd (split)
Cairns – 3rd
Hawks – 4th (split)
NZ – 5th

Topic #40836 | Report this topic

Dazz  
Years ago

So, in summary:
Cairns are in nomatter what, 2~4
Hawks can guarantee a spot with a win, or must rely on Perth to win, 2~4
Perth can guarantee a spot with a win, or must rely on Brisbane to win, 2~4
NZ get in if MU beat Perth, 3~4
MU cannot make it

Reply #624038 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

So if Brisbane win Cats are in? I believe that game just gained 10,000 more viewers.

Would be nice in the Bullets got up (as a Cats fan) as the stress levels will ease a bit for Sunday.

Reply #624044 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If only Beal was still playing, I'm sure he and Tommy would love to help out.
ROFL

Reply #624047 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

NBL TV is likely to meltdown for that final game. (Assuming Hawks win tomorrow)
4 teams with their finals hopes and/or matchups will be hanging on that game.

Imagine if Perth lose and NZ get in, that's probably the 4 lowest budgets in the NBL.

Reply #624048 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Would be nice in the Bullets got up (as a Cats fan) as the stress levels will ease a bit for Sunday.
It's the only result that keeps alive the Adelaide-Cairns-Perth-NZ top four, which I've been hoping for for a while now. So definitely hoping for the Bullets to get that one.

Unfortunately we then have to drop the game on Sunday, which seems unlikely against an opponent with nothing to play for.

Reply #624054 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Nz were paying $13 to make the playoffs BEFORE this round. I loaded up on that. All that remains is a Melbourne united team with nothing to play for to upset them. Hope they come to play

Reply #624058 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

To upset Perth that is ^

Reply #624059 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Dazz
Where have I gone wrong in my 4 way table Cairns,Melbourne, Breakers, Perth ?
I am assuming Melbourne will win and Illawarra and Adelaide win. So this is for 3rd-6th.
Pts differential will change with Melbourne v Perth result.
C M B P Wins Mini-T Pt Diff
C 0(-21)4(31)2(-6) 14 6 4
M 4(21) 1(-5)0(-8) 13 5 7
B 0(-31)3(5) 3(15) 14 6 -11
P 2(6) 3(8) 1(-15) 14 6 -1

Reply #624060 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Personally, I Love the Adelaide Hawks Cairns NZ scenario as I have a thing for the lower budget teams plus Cairns hawks and adelaide have multiple qld'ers... But to step back from that, it's not at all a great scenario for the NBL.

With Melb and Kings cooked, I think they'll be joining the thousands of Perth fans hoping they get in.. Regardless of results you gotta think Perth are a good chance v MU With Melbourne playing for nothing...

Reply #624061 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sunday will be fascinating. It's sold out, the place will be rocking, the Melbourne guys will soon forget it's not a meaningful game and just hoop, it will come down to how clinical Perth can be.

We saw it with NZ the past two games, these hardened teams can get it done when it's really on the line, so I expect the Cats to win but I think they're going to have to play very well.

Reply #624063 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Casper Chump Ware to be the next import with a mind exploding dummy spit and lose his shite in Perth.

This season has proved that 10 guys wanting to play at the highest level beats a team of retiring nobodies or team cancers any day.

Great recruiting by Lemanis, worked well for him. Would bottom for Brisbane bury the idea that we need a team in Brisbane? Can't see many supporters flocking to buy season tickets after this season.

Reply #624067 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Would bottom for Brisbane bury the idea that we need a team in Brisbane?"

No.

Reply #624071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The idea that Melbourne will be easy to beat because they are out of play-off contention isn't one I necessarily agree with. If anything, they are probably the one team I don't want to see in that scenario, because they have a lot of talent, and their man guys are "streetballers" like Goulding and Ware, who when let off the leash and allowed to play relaxed and freely, could put on a shooting show.

Reply #624076 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Tom

Cairns 7W-5L +22
Breakers 6W-6L -13
Perth 6W-6L -7
Melbourne 5W-7L -2

So Cairns take 3rd and NZ/Perth. From NBL press release the other day, they ignore points differential in this minitable and resolve the tie between NZ/Perth by looking at the head to head win-loss between the two of them:

Breakers 3W-1L +15
Perth 1W-3L -15

Breakers take 4th
Perth 5th
Melbourne 6th

Reply #624081 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Thanks PeterJohn
Two more questions though.
Melbourne will go to 6-6 won't they if they win tomorrow.
I also have Cairns at 6-6.
I had to go back round by round to get my table so chances are I have made mistakes. The NBL website does not have all the results in one place.

Reply #624084 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, Melbourne are currently 4-7 (1-3 v NZ, 0-3 v Perth and 3-1 v Cairns), so a win tomorrow makes them 5-7.

Reply #624087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul:

Melbourne v NZ are 2-2 but NZ has the split after Fridays game.

Reply #624093 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think so, NZ won by five at Vector in R1, by six in OT at Hisense in R5 or 6, and then on Friday at NSEC.

Reply #624100 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

NZ are 3-1 over Melbourne

Reply #624101 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Thanks Peter John
Doubled checked and your analysis is spot on.
Melbourne have to beat Perth for Breakers to go through.

Reply #624102 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's interesting, Goulding and Ware have both gone two games in a row without getting hot from outside. If I was going to put a tip in, I'd suggest there's a real chance they throw caution to the wind and let it fly. And one gets going.

Having said that, Gouldings ankle appears to me to be struggling so who knows.

Reply #624104 | Report this post

NBL Comm  
Years ago

I think Melbourne wouldn't want to win as that will allow a non Australian team in the finals.

But the NBL owner who is also the owner of Melb would want NZ in as it makes a good business case for a second NZ team.

Reply #624105 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Illawarra should win.

Meaning MU will have the chance to knock Perth out and bring the 30 yr streak to an end!

Reply #624134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding should rest his ankle. There's no point risking it in a meaningless game.

Reply #624137 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dazz
Where have I gone wrong in my 4 way table Cairns,Melbourne, Breakers, Perth ?
I am assuming Melbourne will win and Illawarra and Adelaide win. So this is for 3rd-6th.
Pts differential will change with Melbourne v Perth result.
C M B P Wins Mini-T Pt Diff
C 0(-21)4(31)2(-6) 14 6 4
M 4(21) 1(-5)0(-8) 13 5 7
B 0(-31)3(5) 3(15) 14 6 -11
P 2(6) 3(8) 1(-15) 14 6 -1
If Harks, 6's, and MU win, yes there is a 4-way mini-table, involving Cairns, MU, NZ, and Perth.

Cairns finish clear on top, with 7 wins & 5 losses. So they take 3rd.
NZ & Perth are still tied 6-6. the rules are a little ambiguous at this point, but the effect is the same.
Either there is a 3-way mini-table, in which NZ goes through with 6 wins
or it is determined by the split between NZ and Perth, with NZ having won that split,
or it is determined by %, with NZ having superior.

Reply #624139 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

From NBL press release the other day, they ignore points differential in this minitable and resolve the tie between NZ/Perth by looking at the head to head win-loss between the two of them
Just to be clear, the NBL have clarified that the rules remain unchanged.
However the effect is the same.

Reply #624142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry paul. you're right. I thought melbourne won that OT game.

Reply #624160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look like Perth will need to do it all themselves than rely on excrement that is Brisbane.

Reply #624187 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

If Perth lose it will be 36ers Vs Breakers and Cairns Vs Hawks in the semi's
If Perth win tomorrow we will have 36ers Vs Hawks, Cairns Vs Perth.

Im getting a semi with the latter matchup.

Reply #624293 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Goulding should rest his ankle. There's no point risking it in a meaningless game."

I strongly agree!

Reply #624294 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I think Goulding should play. Perth need someone who can go 3/21 from the field :P

Reply #624296 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If Perth lose, 6's must face the Breakers, and I will shit myself laughing when the 6's go out in straight sets.

Reply #624305 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Going into finals on a 4 game losing streak is pretty concerning for the 36ers. They might be sitting on top of the ladder but the finals is a totally different ball game and the 36ers don't have a lot of finals experience.

Reply #624308 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Easy there o great one Dazz! If I may have take a small slice of the heavily dominated cyberspace of hoops.com.au in among your countless posts and threads...

There were many who predicted all sorts of interesting things about the 36ers and Joey Wright before the season and during the early part thereof, all of them, including some 36ers fans have at least one carton of egg on their faces now.

How about we learn from that little mess and at least wait until the semi finals have concluded before your prediction is so certain?

Reply #624310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He predicted Melbourne Brisbane Sydney as top 3 and Adelaide Illawarra Cairns all missing the finals so I don't know why he would laugh so hard considering the 36ers already smashed his prediction to pieces and exceeded all expectations

Reply #624313 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:06 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754