Luke
Years ago

Algebra 1 transferred to Australian Maths

Would anyone here know what requirements regarding subjects taken in high school, especially Maths.
Maths general though yrs 9-10 than General 2 for a Atar in yrs 11/12 pass the requirements for div 2 NCAA or NAIA schools?

Topic #40847 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going off of the above I'd be more worried about passing English requirements.

Reply #624379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LMFAO^

@Luke, what is it you actually want to know?

Reply #624382 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Yes my bad for the poor way I tried to explain it, but does anyone know level of Australian high school maths required for college, when looking up subject requirements for the NCAA or NAIA they state that Algebra 1 or higher maths required, I completed General Mathematics in Yrs 9/10 and currently doing General Maths 2 for a atar in Yrs 11/12. I believe it should be enough because I've completed algebra in years 9/10 but not 100% sure

Reply #624407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As far as I know, you can do bridging courses to meet the course requirements. Once you are in, and you pick your course (your major), you then pick what area of study you want to head in.

Most American colleges require you write an entrance essay and have a SAT score - your Atar score (equialent to their SAT's) will be fine.

I don't think the subjects you choose matters as long as you get an Atar to great you into an Australian university.

Reply #624484 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Incorrect^ I thnk!

Reply #624506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What part?

Reply #624509 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

you used to need particular subjects, not just a year 12 score that could get you into Uni over hear.

thats why I had sent players over there into final year HS, after being in, but not graduating, year 12 here. basically ensured they would get a USA HS grad that would get them a div 1 ride.

but that was 9+ years ago.

Reply #624562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ATAR is irrelevant, SAT score plus final year 12 results to determine your GPA with two science subjects plus English and math is a minimum for years 11-12

Reply #624572 | Report this post

ColCon  
Years ago

Luke - not sure which aust state u r in and each is a bit different. In general though the maths standard requirement is relatively low and any maths contributing to your AtAR is probably fine (Algebra 1 is pretty basic maths).

For NCAA academic eligibility u need to satisfy 4 things: graduate High School; satisfy the SAT/ACT test requirements; satisfy GPA requirement and satisfy core-course requirements.

Contrary to the post above, NCAA does not look at ATAR or consider any admission to any Aust university as supporting their eligibility requirements. The SAT test has nothing to do with ATAR.

For NCAA D2 you need a SAT score of 820+. This test is held globally 6 times per year, u need to register with the college board and book early - places fill. Aim to sit it at least twice.

Your NCAA GPA is calculated on your core course results in subjects done for your leaving certificate (varies for each state eg in Vic the unit 3&4 core-course grades on the statement of results).

U also need to have 16 core-courses in years 9-12 with the specified mix of courses for D2. U need to check these as some students have not been eligible because they did not do the specified range of subjects (English, Maths, Science, Social Science, Languages etc). U can do 1 extra after graduating High School but much better to do them at High School.

NAIA require u satisfy 2 of the following 3 criteria: SAT of 860+, GPA of 2.0+, ranked in the top 50% of your year 12 class.

If r considering NAIA then u need to register separately with their eligibility center.

As well as satisfying the NCAA/NAIA academic eligibility requirements, u also need to satisfy the university admission requirements which may be higher or lower depending on the university u r seeking to attend.

Hope this helps.

Reply #626899 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Use this as a guide:

Preparing Aussie kids for US college basketball!

Also has links to relevant websites.

Reply #626918 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:55 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754