Hoot
Years ago

Great article Q&A with LK

http://www.espn.com.au/espn/story/_/id/18689040/q-australian-nbl-executive-director-larry-kestelman

Sorry if this is re-post. But great insight.

I love this line:

"It's mum and dad with their kids and they cheer like hell and they jump up and down and the music is pumping and we are in actual fact what a lot of sports try to pretend to be now. Everybody is trying to go back to a shorter format, more entertainment value, faster and higher scoring.

Sports like cricket, netball all of them are trying to come up with a way to be basketball and it's in our DNA to be that, we just have to make sure that we keep on doing it right."

Topic #40889 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for posting. Nice read

Reply #625618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see him acknowledge the inconsistency of the refs. It the one area of the league I think is really letting it down at the moment.

Reply #625623 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Great Q&A, LK does inspire confidence.

Reply #625629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks James McKern for the nice piece.

Reply #625653 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Mostly corporate mumbo jumbo to me.
Comparing part time v full time players to refs is apples and oranges. Refs don't need a skill set,they just need eyes and a unbiased brain!
He's happy to arsehole the Crocs but wants the Manila Magic in our league.

Considering this year's champion could come from Cairns or the Gong, I would be embracing a Hobart,Wellington or Canberra before a second Melbourne team!

Reply #625655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No offense, but nobody gives a shit what teams you would embrace.

Introducing a new team will be done because it is feasible to do so in the area. Hence the interest in the areas stated in the article. Townsville demonstrated there was no support for a team there, otherwise there would be a team there.

Referee's need a hell of a lot more than eyes and a brain to be great referees. What a stupid comment.

Reply #625657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need to be full time to be able to concentrate mroe on their role. Juggling two jobs with the travel commitments added on result in low quality performances. The logic is low in this one (Thunder Jam).

Reply #625658 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Townsville arseholed the Crocs themselves for the most part.

Reply #625670 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

We should all be thank full he stepped up, we may not have a league anymore with how it was tracking.

In my opinion he is a legend

Reply #625680 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Considering this year's champion could come from Cairns or the Gong, I would be embracing a Hobart,Wellington or Canberra before a second Melbourne team!
I was extremely sad to see the Crocs go, but at the end of the day you need a combination of bums on seats, and deep pockets when these are tough. Unfortunately they had neither.

Cats are self-sufficient, thanks to a wonderful new stadium and massive crowds. But they only got where they are today thanks to the largess of the owners. Dr Jack carried the team through the Challenge Stadium era.

So sure, I'd love to see Newcastle, Canberra, and Hobart back, but SOMEBODY needs to provide the backing.

And at the same time, if Squizzy McDuck wants to put up $10M for a team in Wellington, the league should consider it seriously.

I'm not sold on the viability of Manila, purely because of the cost of travel.

Reply #625687 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's true - regional market + nobody going to games + limited sponsorship + no owner with deep pockets = trouble. Which is a real shame, I liked Townsville particularly during their Ian Stacker early 000's days when the Crocodiles and 36ers had some good matchups

Reply #625845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz you just talk so much shit. Jack paying over the odds for Perth to survive is arguably fantastic and illegal. LKG owns the Bullets and the Untied. Sow hat do you want? LKG expansion of the NBL from abroad? WTF? Will Cairns be there next season? Hawks? So much smack about where the NBL is going but with Asian teams in the NBL will be lost. Perhaps the ANBL. Asian Basket National League.

Reply #625847 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Jack paying over the odds for Perth to survive is arguably fantastic and illegal.
Do go on.

Reply #625884 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:10 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754