wildcats80
Years ago

NBL admits mistake in Taipans playing 14 players

The NBL has taken responsibility for allowing Cairns to use 14 players during last Friday night's semifinal loss to the Perth Wildcats.

The Wildcats were surprised when Anthony Fisher, Tevin Jackson and Jack Madgen entered the game with just over a minute remaining.

Under NBL rules, only 12 players are allowed to take the court in one match.

But with the game beyond reach, Taipans coach Aaron Fearne decided to protect his stars for tonight’s must-win clash at Perth Arena.

NBL operations manager Guy Neville said the league incorrectly gave the Taipans permission.

"It is 12 players (that are permitted), but there was an administrative oversight from our behalf with the officials on the ground," he said. “That was an error.

“It was questioned prior to the game and the official on the ground gave them the green light. We’ve spoken to the Wildcats about it, made them aware of it and it won’t happen again.”

The Wildcats will advance to the grand final if they beat Cairns tonight.

Victory will ensure they have a seven-day break between games and that will be a significant advantage in the grand final series, which has been extended this season to a best-of-five contest.

Illawarra tied their semi-final series against Adelaide yesterday. The decider will be played in Adelaide on Thursday night.

Star Wildcats import Bryce Cotton credits the team’s unselfish attitude for its dramatic rise.

The Wildcats have won eight of their 12 matches since the arrival of the explosive point-guard, jumping from sixth on the ladder. Cotton poured in 34 points in the 91-69 win over the Taipans last week.

“We’re playing great team basketball,” Cotton said.

“Guys are sticking to their roles, everybody plays for the other guy next to them.

“That’s just the biggest thing. There’s no selfish guys on the team and nobody has ego. It makes it that much easier to play on the floor.”

Topic #40913 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

In other news Perth fans will be cool with this unless they lose the series and then it will prove to have been the difference!

Reply #626920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How will it prove to be of any difference? This doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Your "in other news" comment should have been, if Perth had done this, there would a thousand posts about it by now and how Nick Marvin always cheats, home cooking, and rules for some etc etc

Reply #626923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm being sarcastic. Perth fan base is all good and chilled when winning but when they start to feel vulnerable all these little pointless non factor things become major issues.

Reply #626927 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

Anon I a sure the previous 3 posts are all the same person. If Perth or United did this, everyone would be up in arms, yes its not a big issue but a error which should never have happened I mean 14 players, everyone knows its 12.

Reply #626931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I understood your point. I am asking how this will become an issue. We were up by 22 and Cairns played some scrubs. What difference could it have made?

Reply #626932 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

What if one of these players caused a serious injury to a wildcats back up player. My point is, shouldnt have happened

Reply #626933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear god are you clueless? The point isn't a genuine one I'm making sarcastic reference to how irrational Perth fans can be when things don't go their way. Such as potentially complaining about a non factor thing after being up 20 odd!? Is this Dazz?? Please don't take my posts seriously the sarcasm is evident.

Reply #626935 | Report this post

riley  
Years ago

I agree with Wildcats80, Im not a wildcats fan but rules are rules and this should never happen.

Reply #626938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The nbl has openly said they stuffed up. Mistakes happen I'd be more concerned about the overall refereeing than this error in the death of a blow out. If it happens again which it won't then to be it's a much bigger deal.

Reply #626939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are perth fans any different to fans of other teams, Cairns supporters were blaming the refs and even stretched as far as blaming the league for fixing the game for financial gain as the reason behind their loss inn friday Hahahaha

Reply #626940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that had happened then we could discuss it. It didn't so no point talking about hypotheticals.

Reply #626941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Dear god are you clueless? The point isn't a genuine one I'm making sarcastic reference to how irrational Perth fans can be when things don't go their way."

Dickhead, I am saying I understand the sarcastic point you are making but I'm saying its a really bad point. Just because you tried to use some wit to get your point across, it doesn't mean you succeeded.

Reply #626942 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Funny how the NBL are quick to admit a mistake where there is no consequence to anyone, yet aren't willing to admit any number of mistakes the refs make each week which affect outcomes of games.

Reply #626944 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Thanks for ruining the thread, Wilson. It was going great guns.

Reply #626947 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Well I can't sit on here and bang on about how great the Taipans are can I...

Reply #626948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I'm the dickhead... dickhead.

Reply #626949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The "official" who made the mistake no doubt was one of the refs. Where is the admission of mistake re: AJ unsportsmanlike?

Reply #626954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point. That AJ thing seems to have been brushed aside as. Non issue, but 2 free throws and possession in a do or die semi in a 2 possession game is kind of a big deal!!!

Reply #626955 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wow, this is huge. Cairns should definitely have to forfeit this game, which of course gifts the win to Perth.

Oh, wait, Cairns already gifted it to them by failing to have any of the other 12 guys show up.

Reply #626957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly XY.

NBL admit only when it has no material affect anymore.

Still waiting on apology over AJ USF non-call.

Reply #626958 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

AJ's foul wasn't unsportsmanlike. The collision with the floor from his enthusiastic flop caused concussion, blurred vision, head trauma and possibly a tumour. In his distressed state and not wanting to cause harm to another player he believed Jacobsen was going to trip over him and attempted to cradle him to the floor and cushion his fall. He should be getting an OAM, not an unsportsmanlike.

Nothing for the NBL to apologise for. Their wonderful refs intuitively realised what had happened and of course will be commended and appointed to the Grand Final and possibly get an extra ham in their Christmas bonus hamper. They're great guys and deserve it

Reply #626964 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

So does this throw doubt on the competency of the NBL to correctly calculate the "mini table" which determined who finished second, third and fourth ;-)

Reply #627000 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

I believe they engaged KPMG to calculate the mini table and then had Deloitte audit the results.

Reply #627005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KPMG & Deloitte don't know how to count. But they sure as hell know how to charge.

Reply #627023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KPMG & Deloitte don't know how to count. But they sure as hell know how to charge for it.

Reply #627024 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

How can this matter? Do each team nominate 12 players on the scoresheet? Cant the bench officials disallow a sub?

What if one players injuried another player?

For me, just shows that the bench around the country are pretty bad. Also, how many times has they stuffed the 24 second clock.

Reply #627260 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

I don't think Perth fans are any different to others - if the Wildcats had lost then naturally this would be a major issue. But that is hardly likely since the very reason the kids were out there was because Cairns had lost.

Reply #627291 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:03 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754