Bolly
Years ago

What does 2017 hold for Terrance Ferguson?

What does the future hold for Ferguson? What is everyone's thoughts on his draft prospects?

If he doesn't get drafted, would the Sixers (or any other NBL team) be interested in signing him?

Does anyone know what kind of contract he is on, 1 year deal?

In my opinion, with his height, athleticism and good attitude, he would have great potential on an AFL roster with a few years of development.

Topic #40915 | Report this topic

AKA  
Years ago

He'll likely be a late lottery pick (that's where he is projected) this coming draft. He seems like a good kid who is willing to put in the work required to succeed. No chance of him playing basketball in Australia next year (let alone AFL).

Reply #626982 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Will win the NBA dunk comp

Reply #626984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Will win the NBA dunk comp"

Doubt there will be one next year!

Reply #626985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is obviously a joke??? He will go in the first round, why would he even consider AFL??

Reply #626992 | Report this post

Bolly  
Years ago

No joke, I haven't seen anything that suggests NBA quality from him. If he didn't get drafted, what are his options, legitimate question.

I never said he should consider the AFL, but I can imagine AFL scouts would be pretty keen on a guy like him, Mason Cox is going ok so far.

Reply #626998 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

http://www.nbadraft.net

Reply #627001 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

If not drafted in the first round his best option may be play a second year developing in the NBL for the NBA team that picks him up in the second round.

I would expect in his second season he would make some serious improvement and he would be far more ready for the NBA after that.

Reply #627009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL comment is a headscratcher. Oh wait, probably made by a footy yob so makes sense. Apparently it's "the greatest game"... lol

Reply #627019 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Obviously has good character, but I haven't seen much to warrant using an import spot on him. Obviously he's young and has time on his side, so an NBA team could grab him and throw him in the D-League, well, the G-League.

What year did Creek start in the NBL? Or Brad Hill?

Reply #627021 | Report this post

Bolly  
Years ago

One of the all time great head scratchers, I mean can you imagine talented American basketballers who have never kicked a footy, coming to the AFL, wait...happened twice last year.

Isaac, I agree he has time on his side, but surely a potential first round pick shows more than he has. Creek started 2010, Hill been round for a while, maybe 10 years.

Reply #627035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cash and baby mamas

Reply #627036 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Creek was 17 and 7 months when he started in 2010.

Hill turned 18 in his debut season of 2004-05.

Reply #627037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"wait...happened twice last year."

Not to potential first rounders. Only scrubs who were desperate to continue the dream of being in pro sport.

Reply #627039 | Report this post

Bolly  
Years ago

"Not to potential first rounders"

Fair point. I was talking more in a scenario that he doesn't make the NBA.

Reply #627040 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Hey Bolly in terms of Ferguson, the kid is 1 year away from securing his family's financial freedom for the rest of their lives. His instructions playing here are pretty simple. Catch and shoot if you're open, but do not drive and attack the rim or put yourself in any chance of an unnecessary injury.
He has all the tools to be a career NBA player. I think he will make it, possible a J.R Smith type, 6'6 athletic shooter. Not gonna be a HOF player.

Def not an AFL prospect.

Reply #627041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes sense re: limiting driving to negate injury. Noticed that about his game.

Reply #627043 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

The fact that people who haven't kicked a ball can pick up the game and have some success in a relatively short time frame says a lot about the skills involved to play AFL.

Reply #627047 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

I think Ferg has made a great call coming here and has not really damaged his draft chances.

He has shown excellent character and the ability to play a limited role without pouting. The smile on his face when he does something well looks to me like he enjoys the game a lot and his stroke is pretty decent. Has plenty of hops.

He's still a project but the signs are there for someone to take a punt and this years draft is not super strong.

I like the kid.

Reply #627048 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not that there is a lack of skill required (although like many sports there are spots for grunt workers) it's more there are so many professional spots and so few world-class athletes playing Aussie rules.

The international/other sports guys can usually fill a role based on their athletic prowess.

Reply #627049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The fact that people who haven't kicked a ball can pick up the game and have some success in a relatively short time frame says a lot about the skills involved to play AFL."

But apparently it's "the greatest game in the world" (hahahahahahaha) as per their advertising. The arrogance is astounding.

Reply #627050 | Report this post

Bolly  
Years ago

Mutumbo didn't start playing basketball until after he was a student at Georgetown, he clearly had some success, and I don't think that says a lot about the skills needed for basketball.

If you want to take potshots at other sports, start a new thread.

JOaRiDrAN, if that is the case, is that what we can expect from future draft prospects that do their year here? Bit disappointing if that is the norm

Reply #627051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The arrogant AFL advertising claiming that (no other sport does) opens it up to said potshots.

Reply #627052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their ads ran during NBL that's when I saw it.

Reply #627053 | Report this post

Bolly  
Years ago

Potshots welcome on the potshots thread.

Reply #627054 | Report this post

Bolly  
Years ago

Almost as arrogant as NBA, NFL, MLB winners being 'World' champs...

Reply #627055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well NFL no other country plays. NBA/MLB also is the best basket/base ball in the world. and MLB "World" Series comes from a sponsor in the 1890s called World that's why it's called the World Series & thus World Champs. a historic sponsors name... which I would say NBA/NFL copied.

Reply #627056 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

He is getting drafted on potential alone. Also another fact for the NBL to consider going forward is that the new CBA in the USA is changing the D-league contracts. Pretty sure the money is going up etc, so it will be interesting to see how they fair v what we pay over here.

Reply #627072 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Bolly,
Yes mate, I think any team is lucky a future draft prospect. It's good for the game and who knows, ferguson may earn $150,000,000 and retire down here in gods country and buy a team - or the league!

Reply #627075 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Hill and Creek showed a bit more than Ferguson has. Hill was making moves from the start while Ferguson hasn't really pushed his case much.

Reply #627203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to Brad Hill?

Reply #627206 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Played with the Mt Gambier Pioneers in the SEABL last season.

Reply #627266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Afl = shittest sport in the world

Reply #627347 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

MLB "World" Series comes from a sponsor in the 1890s called World that's why it's called the World Series
False.

Reply #627348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as he isn't a adelaide 36er I'll be happy. Great kid and potential but my team
Right now could do with extra depth in the import department. Free or not I can guarantee someone is silently behind close doors admitting 'shit if I'd known we got this far we would've forked for an extra go to option'.

Reply #627366 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Ferguson will get broken bones playing Afl and if he is a first round draft pick it must be a weak draft.

Reply #627522 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:53 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754