Fundingsland
Years ago

Knight charged with 2 games, review to come

Per Lachy Reid on Twitter

Topic #40926 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will and SHOULD get 1 game for this. The league has been weak in these areas of late but not as bad with anything regarding head high contact. They are removing themselves from the Conklin era. And Knight of all players to do something so incredibly stupid for his team and fanbase. Dumb dumb dumb.

Reply #627532 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

Will be a fine and move on - everything always looks worse in slow motion and this didn't even look that bad.

Reply #627536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz you are assuming Knight is guilty of intent.

Knight is guilty of physically hitting trice. No doubt. But was the intent intentional. That is what the Wildcats will argue or plead guilty to.

Was it dumb? Unknown at this stage as we don't know Knight's intent at this stage.

It looked like a ball fake to me that caught Trice. Looks bad on camera, but I don't think the intent was to hit trice.

It was careless no doubt.

Reply #627537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to PerthNow the game review panel has deemed it intentional and not careless.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/basketball/matt-knights-clash-with-travis-trice-to-come-under-scrutiny-ahead-of-perth-wildcats-grand-final-series/news-story/31d5d7ab02a6e72a97e173331642a354

Reply #627538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow finally a suspension... maybe. Or will it be a $1.99 fine? lol

Reply #627539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its dumb, because just like a defender on 4 fouls reaching in, it makes the ref have to make a decision about it. And no im not dazz, dazz would be defending his actions to the death. Look at trice's reaction, he was immediately heated, in real time not slow mo, he was 100% sure in his mind that knight had intentionally messed with his head space. DUMB.

Reply #627540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because Trice reacts doesn't mean Knight did it intentionally. Trice may have thought Knight did it intentionally.

If knight was just ball faking a pass to Prather then how is it dumb?

Reply #627543 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

I believe the NBL are keen to show they mean business and will not tolerate this type of behaviour.

They have came down hard and have suspended Knight for one game to be served in game 3 of the Perth-Cairns series.

Reply #627545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be a suspended sentence unless there is no Game 4 or 5 then it will be enforced in those games.

Reply #627546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not the right time for the NBL to make a statement when they've been leanient all season...

Reply #627547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why?

Reply #627549 | Report this post

linds  
Years ago

Does anyone have a link with a better angle?

Looks like it's happening at the 7s mark on the video on the Perth now link but it's impossible to work out without a different angle and some zoom.

Reply #627553 | Report this post

linds  
Years ago

the more I see it the more I think this is a bad call...doesn't look intentional at all from that video anyway.

Reply #627554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it was dumb and it was niggly but it is not even close to being worth of a suspension.

Reply #627556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumb? Yes. Suspension worthy? lol no

Reply #627558 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

why would he be faking a pass before he'd even stepped out of bounds?

Reply #627559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knight should be charged with flopping mans an expert. :)

Reply #627560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Trice ok? It looked like the play gave him an aneurysm. Or a really bad ice cream headache.

Reply #627564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kingpodge is thinking what I am. Who fake passes when they aren't turned around yet to throw it inbounds. Wish trice had really gone after him, was so uncalled for. Aussie bigs making dumb plays this postseason... just tempting fate.

Reply #627565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wont pretend he was faking a pass at that moment but all he did was touch the ball on his face! It would be laughable if it wasnt so serious for one club.

Reply #627568 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

It will be about time he got suspended as he is a grub but this will be the same as Hire the other week when he received two weeks then got nothing on appeal.

Reply #627571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huh? That is not what happened at all.

Reply #627572 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

Johnson should move to the NT coast so he can be with all the other salties. Boo Hoo.

Reply #627575 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

Why do they keep doing this?

Nomatter what you think of the incident, Knight, or the Wildcats, as soon as they stick "intentional" in there, they have lost.
Even supposing that unlike Hire it somehow survives the first challenge it would be begging for the Wildcats to go to court for an injunction.

If they said "it was stupid and we think Knight is a dirty player so we are going to suspend him" theres probably nothing you could do to argue. Instead they have hung themselves on "intentional." That is much too objective and they would need more evidence or different vision to substantiate that.

All those arguing about what exactly he is doing may be missing the point. Surely the only question now is whether hitting Trice in the head was intentional?

I remember an AFL case when Daniel Kerr punched a player in the nuts and had the charge reduced because the tribunal accepted that he was trying to punch the player on his injured quad and therefore striking the gonads was not intentional.

So surely even if Knight was deliberately trying to intimidate Trice, how do you prove that he intended to strike?

Not saying I like it or am happy with Knight's behavior only asking how they prove intention?

Reply #627576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PH clearly NBL have created this out for the Cats wo they get off easily. Again.

Reply #627577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so

Reply #627578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a crock of shit, he was quick and wanted to get the play going again, careless at best and I hate the Wildcats.

Fine at most.

Reply #627590 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

Possibly.
I guess they look tough, but then he ends up with a suspended sentence.

Like the AFL where you could almost murder somebody and never get suspended for the GF.

Reply #627592 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Suck shit to the big dumb flog.
lol

Won't make a lick of difference to the Wildcats chances.

Reply #627603 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

the site listed above has not used the angle from the baseline camera which gives the full view and pretty clearly shows knight making quite a strong movement to extend both arms to make the ball contact Trice's face.

i've only seen that 3 second vision at the very end of some other video link, which i never bookmarked.

Reply #627608 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Deal with it after the finals... and add on a flop charge as well. :)

Reply #627609 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Looked deliberate on the tape tbh. But a suspension is laughable and a 2 game one hysterical. It was dumb and deserves a fine, trice tried to sell it (which is fair enough) and the ref missed it. Wonder if it would have got the same post game reaction if the ref called a tech.

Reply #627610 | Report this post

miracle.touch  
Years ago

Here's the baseline angle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzJc46e1WQo&feature=youtu.be&t=47

Reply #627611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So let's just give someone a fine that grabs with 2 hands deliberately and Knight a game. What a joke

Reply #627612 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

thats the vision. Thanks

not much doubt about it, Knight chins the ball and then extends both arms out to the contact and then brings both arms back to step out of court and then pass.

He may well have just be intending to be an intimidating smart Ar$e, or just "fake" hitting Trice, but theres no doubt that the action was intentional, and that there was contact, he can always argue that the contact was unintentional, but i don't know if that's much of a defense to the report when the action was both intentional and illegal - even without contact.

A very interesting situation .

Reply #627614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's all well and good but he touched a player in the face with the ball. That isn't worth a suspension, barely even reportable.

Reply #627618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not about whether the action was intentional, it's whether the result (contacting Trice) was intentional. Only Knight knows whether he intended to contact Trice...

Reply #627629 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Just use some common sense, people. It was clearly intentional, unnecessary and not in the spirit of the game.

If it takes suspending Knight a match or two to teach him (and hopefully others) not to pull shit like this, then its a sound decision.

Reply #627630 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Just play the game, cut out the BS.

Reply #627631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats haters put your hands up! ^^^

Reply #627635 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"It's not about whether the action was intentional, it's whether the result (contacting Trice) was intentional."

Want to apply that reasoning to Conklin and Martins broken jaw , where i suppose you were absolutely in support of Conklin not getting any suspension or fine and celebrated the decision ?

comparing the two the only difference seems to be

1) the severity of the outcome, and

2) the fact that Conklin did not know Marin was coming up to him ( and to quote the tribunal chairman Tony Nolan CQ " that although there was heavy contact, he was not satisfied the contact was intentional, reckless or negligent") .... while Knight appears to know exactly where Trice was and deliberately targeted his movement towards trice ?

Reply #627637 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

I don't know exactly how many levels the NBL table has, but it goes on the level of intent and the level of impact.
I would have said that Conklin's hit was "reckless" but severe impact. Does that qualify for a suspension under their system?
I'd rate Knight's intent similarly unless there is a further step between reckless and intentional. However the impact was minimal.

What he was doing I can't really imagine, but its hard to prove he intended to strike Trice.

Will the NBL release the result before the SF1 result is known?

Reply #627639 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Here is the tribunal procedure and penalty tables.

Reply #627640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very Old.....*Face Palm*

Spot on PH

Reply #627641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very Old, you're writing a fantastic script about how evil Knight is but you keep forgetting one thing....he touched Trice in the face with the ball. Intentional or not, it is not worthy of a suspension.

Reply #627645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope knight gets suspended purely because the Perth natives will shut down this site with salt overload. He doesn't deserve it though, complete jerk and I dislike him anyways but that isn't worthy of a gf suspension.

Reply #627651 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Regardless of how much force is being used or actual intent, it's just plain dumb to put yourself in that position at this time of the year. Tribunal has been inconsistent with findings, so don't give them anything to think about.

Why even do that when the game is over ?

Reply #627655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It shouldn't even be at the tribunal!! And the only reason it is, is because the NBL review panelgave their verdict, realised their punishment was too harsh so it has to go straight to the tribunal. It is completely farcical.

Fine him for sure, but he should not be facing a suspension at all.

Reply #627656 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

So intentionally tripping a player by grabbing their leg is only a fine? Even though in a sport like afl that play would have been an automatic one or two weeks.

Yet here they think Knights act is worthy of 2 weeks suspension. Put down the crack pipe nbl.

Fine him and move on, heck fine him 1000 but move on

Reply #627657 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Anyone got video of the alleged Jacobsen strike that was only fine worthy ? Could easily a real comparison point

Reply #627658 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"he touched Trice in the face with the ball. Intentional or not, it is not worthy of a suspension."

No he forcefully pushed the ball into the guys temple, hence why it is being considered a 2 game suspension. Why Perth fans are failing to see the obvious I don't know. It was a dangerous and dog act.

"Anyone got video of the alleged Jacobsen strike that was only fine worthy ? Could easily a real comparison point"

It is in the "Ogilvy and Jacobsen fined by NBL" thread. Funny that, who would have thought it would have been in there.

Reply #627662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No he forcefully pushed the ball into the guys temple, hence why it is being considered a 2 game suspension. Why Perth fans are failing to see the obvious I don't know. It was a dangerous and dog act. "

hahahahahahahhahahaha

Reply #627664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brunson, you forgot to add that the forceful nature of Knight's heinous act almost saw Trice land on his C4 and C5 vertebrae, severing the arteries and leaving him double-quadriplegic. Plus, his children would have been traumatised for life and would require daily counselling from the world's best docticians.

Reply #627668 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Brunson he should be imprisoned for his act shouldn't he?

Reply #627673 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Facts are:

Forceful contact = Yes
Contact to a dangerous location = Yes
Dog act = Yes

You guys can exaggerate it as much as you like but the facts are why the NBL are looking to suspend him for 2 games. If you can't face reality that is your problem.

Reply #627675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Forceful contact = Yes"

There was barely any force.

"Contact to a dangerous location = Yes"

Minimal force to the head does not constitute something dangerous.

I think you are the one exaggerating here.

Reply #627676 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Minimal force to the head does not constitute something dangerous."

Medium level force to the temple does constitute something dangerous hence 2 game suspension.

Reply #627681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats fan here:

Shit move, reckless and most definitely intentional. Wouldn't be upset if he is suspended one game. Theres a difference between playing physical and throwing a cheap shot when the ball is dead.

Reply #627682 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

What a flop by Trice, fine him instead before he goes back.

Reply #627683 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Flop artist alert

Reply #627685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Medium level force to the temple does constitute something dangerous hence 2 game suspension."

You keep saying medium level when he barely touched him. With a basketball. Which is full of air. Not pointy or sharp, and does not pack the same "punch" as a body part.

Why are you the only one talking about the temple? You are clutching at straws, trying to make the issue bigger than what it is.

Reply #627689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricky why don't you embed one of Redhage's flops. Oh wait, we know why.

Reply #627692 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

*thumbs up* ;)

Reply #627695 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

In temple, omg what a narrative.

If you want to start suspending people for that then suspend for all dangerous acts, like grabbing onto someone's arm when they go up for a open court dunk. The potential for injury is tenfold.

Reply #627705 | Report this post

Watcher  
Years ago

Did the Cairns playing think it was Mitchell who threw the ball and hit the ref in the back after the game get reported?

Reply #627717 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"You keep saying medium level when he barely touched him. With a basketball. Which is full of air. Not pointy or sharp, and does not pack the same "punch" as a body part."

How about I throw a basketball at your head and then you tell me it doesn't have much impact because "it is full of air", "Not pointy or sharp".

"Why are you the only one talking about the temple?"

I'm not. If he hit him in the forehead I doubt the NBL would have considered a suspension. Any type of impact to the temple is dangerous.

"If you want to start suspending people for that then suspend for all dangerous acts, like grabbing onto someone's arm when they go up for a open court dunk. The potential for injury is tenfold."

I totally agree that they should be suspended for that. Brad Hill would agree.

Reply #627724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How about I throw a basketball at your head and then you tell me it doesn't have much impact because "it is full of air", "Not pointy or sharp". "

No, how about you touch a basketball on my face and see what happens, which is what Knight did. You are inventing scenarios that didn't happen.

Reply #627725 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You guys can exaggerate it as much as you like but the facts are why the NBL are looking to suspend him for 2 games.
...no.

http://www.wildcats.com.au/perth-wildcats/matt-knight-charged-game-review-panel/
An Unduly Rough Play charge carries a base penalty of a two-game suspension, however, the Game Review Panel has deemed the penalty excessive and as such the case has been referred directly to the Independent Tribunal.

Reply #627726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"An Unduly Rough Play charge carries a base penalty of a two-game suspension, however, the Game Review Panel has deemed the penalty excessive and as such the case has been referred directly to the Independent Tribunal."

And that is the entire flaw with their thinking. If they charged him with unduly rough play, but realise the suspension was too harsh, they should have reconsidered the initial charge, not proceed with it and see what happens.

Reply #627727 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Knight to get a fine, Trice to get an Oscar.

Reply #627728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/round-3-game-review-panel-rulings/"

"Melbourne United & Tai Wesley have accepted the charge of "Unreasonable contact with face". The base penalty of 1 Game Suspension has been reduced to a $500.00 fine with an early guilty plea.

Tai Wesley - Melbourne United
Melbourne United forward Tai Wesley was charged with unreasonable contact with the face during Melbourne United's game against the Perth Wildcats on Sunday 23 October. The incident in question occurred at 3:09 in the fourth quarter with Jameel McKay being the other player involved.

The matter was referred to the NBL Game Review Panel following a report from the Perth Wildcats which included details of the injury sustained by McKay (chipped tooth).

The Game Review Panel classified the act as careless, with high contact and medium impact. The base penalty is a one game suspension. Under the NBL Tribunal Guidelines the player is entitled to an Early Plea reduction which if accepted would result in a $500 fine with no suspension."

So a guy gets a chipped tooth and its classified as medium impact, while Trice suffers no injury whatsoever and they consider it the same impact?

Reply #627729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So after all this back and forth when do we get the result?

Reply #627737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

During the daylight hours you would imagine.

Reply #627738 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The hearing is 4pm WST today.

Reply #627739 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

Knight receives a fine and suspended sentence

Reply #627753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth Wildcats forward Matt Knight will line up in Game 1 of the NBL Grand Final series after being cleared to play by an independent tribunal.

Weak.

Reply #627754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spineless act easy team to dislike but the one positive is they won't have a single excuse when they are beaten in the gf series.

Reply #627755 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Consistent at least. anonytrolls saying it's 'weak' coz it's Perth but are silent on AJ getting only a fine and Terangi earlier in the season. Get over it, Trice got straight up coz it was such soft contact.

Reply #627756 | Report this post

Fool  
Years ago

Why are you anon's surprised???

This was always going to be the outcome.

You wanted cats melts, didn't get it so have your own mini melt in return

Reply #627757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TimerBall I've been very vocal about the dog AJ getting a way with his leg grab. Even started a topic about it which was deleted by the mods (lol)

Reply #627758 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

If you don't put a name to your post you are just another anonytroll and your opinions are heaped together and treated the same

Reply #627759 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Two game suspension, suspended until the end of next season.

Will be required to send a written apology to Travis Trice.

May also face detention and a phone call to his mother.

Reply #627761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 game suspended sentence and a $1000 fine still seems a bit harsh imo. But oh well, at least he is free to play in the GF

Reply #627762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you claim to heap all anon posts together, yet didn't heap together even one of the many anti-AJ anon comments after the leg grab? lol

Reply #627764 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Oooooo, those year 5 mimic comebacks really hurt. I'm worried you'll follow up with an 'I know you are but what am I'.
AJs leg grab was as bad as Knights ball to Trice's face, NBL got it right as they were consistent, I'd expect them (NBL) to start next season being a lot more harsh

Reply #627771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You tell em timberball, although I highly doubt that is your real name, sounds like a alias making you appear anonymous. Anyways the big question is will the wildcats allow dazz to help with the writing of the apology letter? This aspect jokes aside is a real worry it comes across so extremely amateur from a league which should be on the rise. Step back for a second, what would the all look like if players started writing letters of apology for striking charges? Titus ore illy would have a field day as would the world sporting stage. Disgraceful aspect to it all.

Reply #627772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Afl*

Reply #627773 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Agree, The Australian Cricket team got Homework...that worked out well

Reply #627774 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I agree with the fine aspect of this penalty but to make Knight write an apology letter is just plain childish!! If the league wants to be taken seriously in the Australian sporting landscape then instances such as this can't be treated like a spat at a primary school between to grade 3 students. An apology letter, I genuinely thought it was a gag when I read it on twitter.

In the end of the day, I think the correct decision was made to not suspend Knight but to fine him for stupidity if nothing else.

Reply #627775 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Even started a topic about it which was deleted by the mods
Because your topic title implied that Ogilvy had been suspended: "AJ suspension for Game 3".

Reply #627776 | Report this post

This is amazing. And by amazing, I mean highly embarrassing to the league.

Reply #627778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just when you think it couldn't get any worse....

Reply #627780 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

I would have thought this was a readily foreseeable outcome?

He put the ball out there, don't know why, and it hit/touched Trice in the face. Fine is appropriate.
Stupid act, and 1,000 bucks is enough to sting without having a major impact.

Not sure where the written apology comes in? Maybe it was something the Wildcats' lawyer suggested in mitigation.

Reply #627790 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I'm genuinely embarrassed by the apology letter.

This in my mind settles it once and for all. In 2016/17, the NBL is still a clueless joke. How the fcuk can they expect to be taken seriously?

What a total disgrace.

Hate Knight. Ultimate flog. But he shouldn't have been suspended for that crap.

Reply #627802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear ROFLcopter,

I'm sorry for calling you a flog. I shouldnt have used that word because it's the lamest insult you can give someone.

I hope we can be friends again

Love,

Trevor G.

Reply #627803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow at the letter requirement. Amazing as said above. Got to say even with LK on board the NBL still delivers in terms of comedy value.

Reply #627804 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

PMSL @ Trevor G.

Roared laughing then. Cheers.

Reply #627806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wait... is the letter thing serious? lol, the first couple of times i read about it i thought it was a joke

Reply #627807 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The letter is serious, yes.

Reply #627808 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

The letter is real but it is miles from being serious. FFS

Reply #627810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like the Wildcats QC was desperate and offered the letter crap up...

Reply #627811 | Report this post

Fool  
Years ago

Why do so many people assume this letter was part of the tribunal outcome?

It is quite clearly part of the wildcats management decision on the situation.
It is a "you will do this for your own stupidity and do it publicly, you will do it... because we told you so. Also we have told everyone you are doing it already,

Reply #627828 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

This is the official NBL Media release:

On Wednesday 22nd February, the NBL's Independent Tribunal heard a case involving Matthew Knight from the Perth Wildcats.

Tony Nolan QC, sitting as the Single Member Tribunal, heard that player Matthew Knight plead guilty to the offence of Unduly Rough Play, classified as intentional, high contact and medium impact.

The case referred to the tribunal was in relation to an incident that occurred with approximately 34 seconds remaining in the fourth period of the Swisse NBL Finals game between Perth Wildcats and Cairns Taipans on Monday 20th February at Perth Arena.

The Tribunal reviewed the incident and heard evidence from Knight as well as reviewing all available video footage. Knight and his council conceded that the conduct was "stupid".

Mr Nolan found the charge proven and imposed the penalty of two games. Such penalty is suspended until the end of the 2017/18 NBL season.

Knight was also fined $1,000 and ordered to provide Travis Trice of the Cairns Taipans a written apology.

Knight will be available to play in the first Grand Final game on Sunday the 26th February.

Mr Nolan stated that this case was exceptional and ordinarily a suspension will be imposed for any charge involving intentional behaviour.

Reply #627829 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

NBL = lame

Reply #627831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every NBL suspension is suspended. What's the point?

Reply #627832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fool you're being a fool. Perth didn't push that agenda.

Reply #627834 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why do so many people assume this letter was part of the tribunal outcome?

It is quite clearly part of the wildcats management decision on the situation.
Knight was also fined $1,000 and ordered to provide Travis Trice of the Cairns Taipans a written apology.

Maybe it's that so many people can read.

Reply #627836 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Knight pleads guilty and gets nothing.WOW.What a waste of time and unless it's a Conklin style elbow you will never get suspended in the nbl and wasn't Knight looking at a two game suspension so with a guilty plea should of got one game.I knew this would be like Hire the other week.

Reply #627846 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

What's he writing just Sorry mate or Sorry mate i didn't mean it or does it have to be a minimum of fifty words.

Reply #627847 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

wasn't Knight looking at a two game suspension so with a guilty plea should of got one game.
Scroll up.

An Unduly Rough Play charge carries a base penalty of a two-game suspension, however, the Game Review Panel has deemed the penalty excessive and as such the case has been referred directly to the Independent Tribunal.

Reply #627848 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

It was a dirty play and Knight deserves whatever he gets.
When watching live (on nbl.tv app) I saw Trice go after Knight.
I saw what Knight did on the news the next day.

Reply #627860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You saw it on the news?

Reply #627867 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Did anyone think it warranted a suspension?

He brushed Trice's face with the ball

What about Ogilvie with the leg tackle? That had the potential for much more damage

Reply #627869 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Knight is a total dick.
For being a flog and jeopardising his teams chance at another title he deserved max penalty. Unfortunately, IMO, the incident in question doesn't warrant a suspension.

Reply #627871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"For being a flog and jeopardising his teams chance at another title he deserved max penalty. "

Thats not how any of this works.

Reply #627872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didn't deserve a suspension I was sure on first view in real time it was a elbow but once I saw the ball being what he led with... just thought meh douche bag guy only a Perth fan should support. His game has deteriorated so far not a big thing if he is in or out, but this is atleast something for him to be proud of haha the letter is now the issue for me and that has nothing to do with the teams the player but the weak little league.

Reply #627874 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Not worthy of a two game suspension (suspended).

Also not worthy of an apology letter (I assume to be written in crayon).

Three completely botched reviews in one week, that has to be a new NBL record.

Reply #627880 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

I've watched the replay several times and I'm not so sure he even makes contact with the head. It looks like he only brushes the shoulder. Trice takes a flop like a sniper shot him from the crowd.

Reply #627882 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

"For being a flog and jeopardising his teams chance at another title he deserved max penalty. "

Thats not how any of this works

END QUOTE

You've missed the point...but that isn't surprising.

Reply #627906 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Are you a ref Steve,didnt see a thing hey?

Reply #627927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear Mr Trice,

I'm sorry you flopped and almost got me suspended.

Kind regards,

Matt

Reply #627939 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

"Mr Nolan stated that this case was exceptional and ordinarily a suspension will be imposed for any charge involving intentional behaviour."

No wish to keep flogging this, still I find the outcome puzzling.
I can't comprehend how they deem it intentional
But if it was then he should have been suspended. We can't have the NBL saying he's guilty and then arbitrarily waiving the penalty because its GF time. May as well just ask the AFL to take over running basketball.

Its obvious the action to extend the arms was deliberate. Why did he do that?
If they are satisfied that he intended to hit Trice in the face, then I'm sorry as much as I like Knight he should be suspended.

Reply #627946 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

No not a ref @ Thunder Jam but have done in the past. Watched the replay over a few times as I said. Looked like the shoulder to me. Not sure what being a ref or not has to do with my eyesight. Plus it was a replay watched over a few times. The ref on game day missed it so still not sure of your point.

Reply #627948 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Didn't deserve a suspension?
Ok what do you base this observation, and do treat the situation impartially as if teams were neutral.

What that means is don't give me fictional opinionated crap just the facts thank you.
I don't care if u are a Perth fan, so am I.
But I am a bigger fan of the game itself.

Ok I base my observation on having broken down over 12,000 hours of basketball footage in my lifetime. Many leagues around the world. Pause slow mo in VCR days even.

This means I see a little bit more than most inexperienced observers within a snippet of a play. 35 years of experience does that. Psychologists call it a phenomenon known as "expert perception".

On nbl tv live I saw Trice go after Knighy in a manner which is very out of character for any player let alone Trice. Alas where there is smoke there is fire, I knew logically there had to have a reason for it, it's not on the game footage.

Fast forward the news the next night and they showed a different angle. Knight has basically taken possession of the ball with 2 hands almost tucking under his chin.
He has then started a motion similar to the two hand pass straight into Trices face whilst still holding the hall. Ouch!

In 35 years it ranks right up there on the shit list- it was a bullshit and he deserves to go down for it.

He lost my respect on this I didn't he was this dirty.
When it happened was even worse, very late in the game the wildcats were up big and in no danger of losing. No need for it at all!

Losing with class is important for any self respecting athlete.
Winning with class is even more important.
He reveals his character here.

But then again Dean Smith is an all time favourite of mine and I still wave his flags- read The Carolina Way for an education on the ettiquette of basketball.

Did u know he invented the quick team huddle before the free throw and demanded in the 1960's that his players acknowledge when they score from a team-mates great assist. Coach K today will not touch a player who doesn't do this- its selfishness.

So that's my level of thinking, my love and respect for this great game of ours.

RIP Coach Smith The Dean of Coaches

Reply #628716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ JR great post. But Wildcats fans will always skew it their way. It's in their nature. And currently the Wildcats organisation are writing the opposite to "The Carolina Way" book, in stores soon!

Reply #628781 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754