Double Clutch
Years ago

36ers cheerleaders under threat

Hopefully this article has been published only to drum up potential sponsors.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainment/confidential/adelaide-36ers-cheerleaders-no-longer-family-friendly-and-facing-the-axe/news-story/7fd179dfadddf4ef16f2c0cb14e3b9ad

Could we potentially see a "Triple Zero dancers" team in the future?

Topic #40931 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

How terrible, an NBL game without half-naked women would just be unwatchable.

Reply #627844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers cheerleaders have always been mediocre. How can they be under threat when they look like volunteers anyway compared to the professional dance teams of other clubs.

Reply #627852 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's sad the attitude some people have towards these cheerleading teams.

Unless something has changed dramatically in the past couple of years, dance is the most popular organised physical activity for girls in this country, with about 4-5 times the participation rate of basketball.

Reply #627864 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

They better stay. Is just a element that is so connected with the sport that it really would look like a cheap move to drop them under some standards guise.

Reply #627865 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Thanks for your quality contribution there KR.

Yes they show some skin and are easy on the eye, but the fact is that a lot of females love dance, and young girls in particular love seeing the cheerleaders do their routines. Not everyone attends games as pure basketball junkies.

Reply #627873 | Report this post

stackhouse  
Years ago

Perhaps they should actually lead cheers...

Reply #627875 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

Smacks of a story of someone with an axe to grind

Reply #627876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz would rather see women wearing overalls playing with Tonka trucks.

Reply #627878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The odd game my GF attends with me she's more interested in the cheer and dance routines.

The Kiss Cam isn't for me either, and neither are the Chemist Warehouse promos or half time entertainers. Different strokes.

It might be toned down, but the cheerleaders aren't going anywhere.

Reply #627879 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Hmmm,

well , whatever helps you to get through watching NBL TV KB.

However the sudden vision of a naked him (or her) seated in a chair watching live NBL on the computer, with a stack of 'reading" material on one side, or a second screen randomly displaying some of their "special" photo albums is actually quite disturbing.

but whatever works for you.

Reply #627881 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Ohh - and i don't mean to embarrass or disrespect you KB, I can only marvel at the courage it took you to post up your private needs on a public forum. I'm certain that I speak for us all on Hoopssa, that we have renewed respect for your honesty.

Reply #627883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz don't ever change. That comment sums you up so well. Girls boo hiss gross!!!!

Reply #627885 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

This is basically the result of feminism. A few fat, jealous old biddys who don't go to games all that much don't like the idea of women being ogled. But the fact is, a lot of these girls wouldn't have jobs without something like that, or being a grid girl. It is a position a girl can fill without needing to have qualifications, and while they study or figure out what they want to do in life. Eradicating these positions for women does not hurt men, it hurts women, and leaves them open to perhaps working in other, less savory industries.

Reply #627896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Smacks of a story of someone with an axe to grind"

The choreographer is losing her business. She mentioned already being dumped by the V8 and cycling races. Hence desperate plea via media.

Reply #627897 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

The sixers should be covering the cost. It's their entertainment, it's part of the cost of running a team. Outside of them they have no extra entertainment at all. They crowd cannon or T-shirt stuff has all but stopped, they rely on the Cam stuff too much.

Reply #627915 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Maybe the addition of the large video screens a approximately 15 months ago has influenced the club's position. Breaks in play equates to advertising opportunities on the big screens and advertising creates income for the club.

The cheerleaders unfortunately fall under "expenditure" and also draw your attention away from the screens (for what ever reason, I'm not going to be drawn into that debate ;-)).

It sounds to me like the club is undergoing a rationalization, which isn't surprising given recent suggestions it was for sale.

Reply #627920 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

I dated a cheerleader for a short time and she would have continued on in a full bodysuit if she had to as she simply enjoying dancing and performing.

Interested to see if they will be there next season if a compromise can be reached on wearing clothing a little less revealing or if money is the real reason for their axing and family values is being used as the excuse.

My partner loves the cheerleaders and breakdancers and enjoys that more than the game itself.

Reply #627923 | Report this post

perplexed  
Years ago

The cheerleaders have always done a great job, well run and always there.
Feminists in government pushing their agenda destroying everyone in their path. They have been doing this for sometime now and can't see it getting much better until those in influence change - look at what is being promoted / funded / put in positions of power in the media and who is being targetted and you can soon identify what influencing powers want in our society.

Reply #627949 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's sad the attitude some people have towards these cheerleading teams.

Unless something has changed dramatically in the past couple of years, dance is the most popular organised physical activity for girls in this country, with about 4-5 times the participation rate of basketball.
You could read this thread in that context, or you could read it in the context of constant complaints about how ugly some team's cheerleaders are, complaints that they're wearing too much, complaints that they're adding men to cheerleading rosters, and a lengthy thread discussing the marital status and sex life of one cheerleader in particular.

Reply #627950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mates girl is a cheerleader for an nrl club.
The truth is..
Picked by
Looks number 1
Dance skills/experience number 2

Reply #627953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He sounds pretty shallow if thats why he picked her as his girlfriend!

Reply #627954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, not enough information..
he picked her because she's a great girl.
The nrl club picked her because of the way she looked.

Reply #627958 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

This whole sexist thing is crazy. People look up to them. There is one girl who sits not far from me comes dressed is the cheer gear and dances along with them. She has been doing this since she was very little until now where she is much older. People need to realise some things can just be pure entertainment and atmosphere, not some deep issue around role models and portrayals of sex objects. Same goes for grid girls etc. Do we ban Calvin Klein models etc as well?

Reply #627969 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

^^ I don't think there is many against the cheerleaders, article seems an attempt to lure a sponsor in by spruiking hearsay.

Reply #628282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheerleaders are back with a different team - run by the same studio as the Lightning Dance Team

https://www.facebook.com/JustForFunTheDanceCompany/posts/1686558474691904

Reply #637423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not surprised. Explains the newspaper article with the previous dance company head crying they were getting rid of dancers altogether. It's called business, dear.

Reply #637426 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:27 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754