scratching my head
Years ago

Stadium Managers zone policing

Can anyone tell me what education BSA stadium Managers (Orange shirts) have regarding interpreting a zone in junior games ?

Is there a paper or course ?

Topic #40965 | Report this topic

cat  
Years ago

consistent zoning in u10 girls Division 1 now.

Used to be only one team, now its grown.

Orange shirts never have and never will pull it up..'too hard ' basket

Reply #629104 | Report this post

Years ago

what is frustrating is at one stadium regularly 4 pairs of defenders feet in the paint when the ball is in offences back court still, then one player just runs around after the ball whilst the others stand in paint.

Another stadium you play half court man and they threaten T the coach up because you are not picking players up full court.

Reply #629141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

141 neither example is a zone by rule

Reply #629147 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

the problem is the kids don't start to pay for this bad coaching until they get to at least the u/14 age group.

watched a parent coach their own kid in u/10s. for the next 4 years the coaches record with this group was outstanding. 80% of the teams points were scored by 3 players, came 2/3 or 4th in every season at the highest grade of 10's and 12's. was going to be the savior of this under-performing district clubs' juniors

The same coach was continually re-appointed as head coach in that clubs D1 juniors for their kids age groups for the next 6 years. Only won 5-6 games every season against the bottom and second bottom D1 teams, with the same group of players, until in u/18s ( i think) the club nominated in d2 instead of d1 and then had a 50% season 2 out of the 4 seasons.

Very frustrating , was just like watching a train wreck in very very slow motion.

Reply #629151 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

IMHO the zone in 10s and 12s will not work against teams that are coached to play absolute 1-on-1 defense in the full court AND to ALWAYS run and pass the ball up to the next player.

Do ralph miller's full court offensive passing drills in practice, including not allowing more than one dribble before passing up and those zone teams will be overrun.

Even if you have to do a 3/4 court start instead of a full court , so that they at least are able to get the ball passed in and some of their players down court to be "behind" your fast break. Doing it this wayyou also need to rotate your players so that all of them get a bite at the opositions' inbounding group.

JMO

Reply #629152 | Report this post

hence my question - what official training or papers do they refer to regarding zones ? From what I have seen they make it up depending who complains first / loudest.

It then becomes a power trip

Reply #629153 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

This is the BA document

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=1089858

Reply #629626 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Quote:

p>

Don't worry about the full court
The rule is only concerned with playing man to
man principles in the quarter court (effectively
the three point line). Teams can play any defence they want in the full court.

Just because a player or a number of players run
back to their defensive
key does not make it a
zone defence.

Reply #629627 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:35 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754