Isaac
Years ago

Joey Wright seeking permanent residency

ADELAIDE 36ers coach Joey Wright isn't going anywhere anytime soon - in fact quite the opposite with the American-born mentor currently seeking permanent residency in Australia.

But the process has meant a requirement by Adelaide’s NBL club to advertise the coaching position, leading to a social media meltdown of wild speculation as to Wright’s future.
"The Adelaide 36ers are assisting Joey Wright with a visa application to allow him to continue living and working in South Australia as head coach of the team," Adelaide’s chief executive officer Guy Hedderwick said in the statement.

It is part of the Immigration Department’s requirements that the coaching position be advertised to test the labour market.

“We believe Joey is the best coach in the country and he proved that this season by what he achieved with the youngest team in our history,” Hedderwick said.
Full story

Topic #40972 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't be that hard for the 6ers to release a statement about this prior and skip all this speculation right? If only there was a medium to reach all of the teams followers in an instant manner..

Reply #629171 | Report this post

Classic Adelaide communication.

Sometimes i'm not sure if it's just poor communication, lack of foresight, or just a genuine naivety. I wouldn't be surprised if someone down at HQ thought "we'll just quietly put this ad up on Seek, no one will notice it'll be fine" Babow. Welcome to the information age.

Reply #629176 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I'm not sure how it all works, but Joey has been here a long time when you consider his Bullets days. I would've thought he would be well on his way to citizenship by now, considering some American players who have stayed in the country have it?

Reply #629185 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

To be fair, it caused publicity - that's good, right?

Reply #629191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Master Cheif Joey used to live back in the US for half the year in those Bullets days as his family hand't moved yet.

Reply #629192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It is part of the Immigration Department's requirements°

I kept saying this in the other thread between all the panicked posts and was mostly ignored. Someone even said a job ad wasn't required. smh

Reply #629196 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

Yes advertising for a skill to prove a need is part of the Immigration policy.
However in the NBLs case leaves the door open to a number of applicants ie Dennis, McLeod, Vickerman etc. As Australian born all 3 have an advantage over Wright. It will be difficult for the Wildcats to prove that 1 of these isn't capable to fill the position.

Reply #629231 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754