'Scuse My French - Randle off to Limoges

Jerome Randle to sign with Limoges in France, no NBL contract on the table yet.

This is no different to last season where he flew out to Turkey before anything NBL was signed off. Still hopeful that the 36ers can get him back.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/newlycrowned-nbl-mvp-jerome-randle-to-sign-with-french-club-limoges-csp-sources/news-story/5d411413f90372b5318a20ff3888599e

Topic #40977 | Report this topic

AC  
Years ago

I hope for the fans sake thay his wife likes French cuisine

Reply #629181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have the oddest suspicion he won't be back in adelaide colours. Too many variables and too much money on the table from various teams.

Reply #629186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy writing the article knows Randle's agent well, so makes the Sixers look bad by saying that it is such a shock that they would allow him to leave without a deal in place! Did he ask how much Randle's price tag is? Did he give the Sixers a right of reply? No! I'm sure Randle wants crazy money, and isn't as worried about the longevity of the club.

Reply #629208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once he leaves he is not under contract. The 6'ers would have to clear him so technically he would be a free agent even if contracted.

Reply #629209 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Sadly I reckon he will not be back. Not because he is going to France. Just the vibe around the place. I will be shattered if he goes to an NBL rival. He has rekindled interest in the Sixers but I often wonder if we can win a title with him. Still I hope he re-signs as he is a star. Guess we will soon find out.

Reply #629215 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

France : apparently a great place for eating out if you are a professional athlete.

Reply #629217 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

could get ugly if the Randle's are asked to 'toss a salad' at the team's welcoming dinner...

Reply #629220 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

Has left most belongings here so read into that what you will

Reply #629221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see him back in the NBL, but the vibe I feel is it is no guarantee it'll be Adelaide. BUT in all honesty i dont see his style winning a title anyways. My biggest issue if not him, who will the 6ers get to replace, someone that can do it all, otherwise Joey will be outed as a pretty ordinary coach. Joey is only ever as good as the guys he gives free reign of the on court stuff too. Is what it is.

Reply #629222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont read into that too much. If the money is good and as a pro baller, you will take the moving costs on the chin if you need to be somewhere yesterday. Also the rental he has may still be opne for a while, wouldnt take much to fly a family member over and help pack things etc.

Reply #629223 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You're supposed to read into the intention, not the logistics

Reply #629225 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

Not uncommon for the good NBL plyers to go and finish the season in Europe.

I'm a little surprised that he has no deal with Adelaide, only because I thought his current one was multi-year, but I guess its not that unusual for an import.

As for him "leaving without a deal in place" what piffle. That's why players have agents, a phones, and the interweb thingy.

The food incident perhaps colours things slightly, but otherwise I'd assume they're in the same situation as last year, but slightly better placed.
I guess the killer could be if he romps it in France and gets offered a Euro deal next season, and even then he's played in Europe before so perhaps the temptation isn't that great?

Reply #629228 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

I think 36ers could cope without him I just prefer we do not have to find out. For every JR, Ware or Cotton there are more duds. He is a proven star. Just not sure how we cover his defence in a 3 or 5 game series. Bevo worked him out. Awesome on offence but can be a liability on defence.

Reply #629229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait until the escargot starts flying around.

Reply #629232 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If I May about 'Bevo working him out' which I'm not entirely disputing but if Randle hadn't have played hero ball in the fourth quarter of game 2 when he shot 1/9 from the field the Sixers win that series 2-0. Just saying.

I'm not blaming him solely for that loss and thus losing the series but he did make things too personal between himself and the Hawks and felt he had to put the team on his shoulders in the 4th quarter of game 2 when team ball was what it got us to the top of the ladder. Hopefully he learns from that and I'd love to see Randle back with us again next season.

Minor quibble OP it was Lithuania where Randle played last offseason not Turkey, he was Finals MVP on the championship team there too.

Reply #629233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ket, the logistics effect the intentions.

Reply #629237 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think that was the point of Fundingisland's hint, anonymous.

Reply #629241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Randle leaves, on to the next one.

Reply #629242 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I wouldn't panic about it. Last off-season was different as the relationship between club and player was younger and Adelaide couldn't afford to let another NBL team pounce.

It's obviously no different this season, but i dare say there's an understanding between the two that makes it more comfortable not to rush a contract agreement on the basis Randle is going overseas again.

I wouldn't be messing him around either. But it's not as imperative that he's signed as of yet compared to around the same time last year.

Reply #629245 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Spot on Zodiac. Randle got it wrong in that 4th quarter in the Gong. I hope we resign him, but not at any cost. After winning the MVP, it is possible resigning him would cost Sobey and/or Hodgson. I'd much rather lock in our Australian talent first, then see what is left for imports. We need to build a stable, talented Aussie core like Perth did. That is how you contend year after year.

Reply #629248 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

To be fair though, Beantown, Perth did spend big on imports and generally had the best imports in the league.

Reply #629251 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agree Beantown it would be one thing if re-signing Randle cost us Hodgson as much as I loved what Hodgson did this season but if it were to cost us Sobey even though Randle is the better player you go with Sobey and hope to unearth another Randle out there.

Melb Utd found their Randle with a very similar player in Casper Ware, imports come and go you win some you lose some but you have to prioritise your good local talent over imports.

I'd really like to see Hodgson come back Joey swapping out Schenscher for him was another great move by the coach.

Reply #629254 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think the most telling thing about the situation is how little Randle has said about it. This time last year he was singing the praises of the Sixers and of the league. Now, not so much.

I guess there could be any number of reasons for that. His grandmother died recently, and we don't know how close they were or how much that is weighing on his mind. Of course they finished the season on a downer. Then there's Zhordan deciding to have a food fight as well, which is actively being investigated by the NBL. Any one of those reasons could be why Jerome isn't talking. But my feeling is his return is far from certain.

He may keep half of his stuff here, and that may or may not be an indicator. But right now, I'd say the chances are very literally 50/50. If we don't hear anything in the next couple of weeks from either the Sixers, or Jerome, I'd say he's flown away.

Reply #629257 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Adelaide have traditionally been successful with bringing in star level imports who can lead the team and ignite the fan base. I'm thinking of Farley, Mee, Brooks etc. Adelaide love to get behind a star American player or combo.

Randle is our best import since Julius Hodge. It's just feels right that Adelaide have a guy like Randle or Farley or even pre-dickhead Julius Hodge.

Reply #629258 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Dave, I agree that Perth had good imports as well, but it all starts with a good Australian core that builds experience playing together. Imports come and go, so you can't bank on them IMO.

Reply #629277 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Randle for cotton, Damo and Randle back court? I'll be happy if cotton or Randle are in red next season.

Reply #629279 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

If only there was a way to keep good imports for longer like the old days and have them become naturalised..

Reply #629280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only issue for Adelaide is money money and money. Easy to coach with a higher value team and no Worries with injuries when you can buy in a replacement easy enough. Takes away all the pressures those with money don't have to worry about and makes the little things on court remain just that. Randle himself said he was wxcited for this season but hoped the young bucks were up to it as its a big boys league.. It was not meant to be offensive just a fact of the matter with Joey and club having to be creative. Good luck to Randle. I put the losses on coaching group. Past 4 years with superstar short shooters has seen the same scenario . Defensive holes and a coach who tells them to just shoot when chips are down. Other teams know it and some like Wilson were very uncomfortable with it and wanted to go the asssit route and play the team in those scenarios, but pushed to do what ultimately has bitten them in the arse in critical games.. Hope that is discussed and resovled whether Randle returns or not..

Reply #629282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They can't afford cheer leaders

Reply #629283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New owner now you guys are forgetting.

Reply #629285 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

He has unfinished business here, I think he'll be back. If he goes to an NBL rival I will be disappointed, but I think he would want to win a championship with Adelaide if he stays in the league.

Reply #629316 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

His facebook post sounds like a goodbye. Who knows? Have to sign up Sobey and Hodgson then work out the imports I guess.

Reply #629439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

chinese owners ???? Who knows the goss?

Reply #629456 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Just read the post. I am not sure if it is a goodbye or not. It certainly isn't a 'I'll be back'.

Reply #629459 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I remember people reading too much into his exit post same time last year too. As long as he didn't say adios Adelaide that's good enough for me.

He's not exactly going to say "I'll be back" or anything like that when he would currently be in negotiations with the Sixers and they could then start to reduce their offer if they knew he was gung ho on coming back.

Reply #629462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard his France deal is only an injury replacement for one month.

Reply #629465 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Boti confirms that they're negotiating a multi-year deal.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/sacre-bleu-jerome-off-to-france-but-36ers-plan-multiyear-deal-for-nbls-reigning-mvp/news-story/58edb7a7be418d8e600c50d14fff6251

Reply #629467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how is the Foodgate17 inquiry going? Is there any accountability from anyone?

Reply #629813 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:16 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754