Isaac
Years ago

36ers offer Randle multi-year deal

THE Adelaide 36ers have put a new multi-year contract to reigning NBL MVP Jerome Randle in a bid to further secure the team's long-term future.

Keen to retain as many members of the young roster which this season swept the Sixers to their first regular season championship since 2000 and to a record raft of individual league honours, bringing Randle back is the top priority.

"We are optimistic it will get done but we’re still in negotiations," 36ers coach Joey Wright said.
Full story

Summary of the rest: Looking to replace Ferguson with a scoring wing. Not sure about Jacobsen. Keen to retain Hodgson.

Topic #40982 | Report this topic

Shano76  
Years ago

So Sobey is signed?

Reply #629481 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It seems that way Shano

Reply #629482 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I was surprised by that too, but according to the article it would seem he is.

Re-sign Hodgy and Randle for a few and they have the start of something solid for a few years.

If the new owner is willing to put some money up, adding one more high level import to that squad would be fun!

Reply #629483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they can pull that signing off all they need to do is turn Ferguson into an import who is up to playing nbl basketball. That signing ended up costing the 6ers dearly, but now they may appear to be backing their ability and going for the title from before preseason. Admit is scared me when Ferguson made comment about other high school guys coming out, we don't want them, we want pros.

Reply #629484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, sobey isn't signed. That is definitely a mistake.

Reply #629485 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Did they advertise it on seek first?

Reply #629486 | Report this post

Brett M  
Years ago

Is Sobey an Adelaide local?

Reply #629487 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

"If they can pull that signing off all they need to do is turn Ferguson into an import who is up to playing nbl basketball."

You know Ferguson is aiming for the NBA draft next season and was the plan all along? He ain't coming back...

Reply #629488 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think he meant turn Ferguson into a different import who is up to playing NBL basketball. I don't think he means Ferguson returning to Adelaide.

Reply #629489 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

After signing Ferguson , I seem to recall the ennui with Joey saying that they were already talking to high school players for the next seasons...
(I would prefer an NBL Import playing here , even though there was a lotta publicity with ferguson here...)

Reply #629491 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I thought Sobey was in an 'option' year? I thought it was his but maybe it was a club option?

Either way, maybe that option has been exercised?

Reply #629492 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I thought Sobey was in an 'option' year? I thought it was his but maybe it was a club option?

Either way, maybe that option has been exercised?

Sobey signed a 3 year deal with us in 2015.

http://www.adelaide36ers.com/featured-news/sobey-signs-with-sixers/

Some have said the 3rd year is a player option. It's in the Sixers best interests to make it known he is going to pick up that option and thus remain under contract. The player option would be for low money obviously given his stock at the time he signed the original deal.

I would expect him to pick up the option just to get through the free-agency period keeping prying eyes away and once the smoke settles they'll mutually tear it up and re-sign him to a new deal for a more appropriate salary like we did with Creek last year and Perth did with Damian Martin too.

Reply #629494 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Not sure a regular season championship actually exists...

Nonetheless, love watching Randle play and hopefully Adelaide can keep him in the league. If Jacobson and Ferguson are replaced by stronger imports next season Adelaide will improve again, which puts them in a pretty good place if the rest of the team more or less stays together.

Reply #629495 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The Randle deal is no done deal. Zalgris have also offered him a multi-year deal, so it will be a question of who is offering more, and where he'd prefer to stay.

Reply #629498 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not sure a regular season championship actually exists...

It doesn't it's just Boti-hype to gee up the masses. Reading that article you would think everything is rainbows & unicorns when in reality it was a terrible end to the season, losing those last 4 games, losing the SF and not even making it to the GF despite finishing top and then that food throwing incident with Randle's wife that is being investigated by the NBL.

Reply #629499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ac I was referring to a decent nbl level guy not a 12th man with a import status. Not Ferguson directly what got me threw was knowing he as never coming back hah

Reply #629502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back on topic though, happy adelaide have made an offer nice and early on. Good to see them on the front foot, what Randle does with it is his decision.

Reply #629508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sixers to their first regular season championship since 2000"

Wildcats won their championship (the REAL one) in that season as well. 2000/2016 parallels!

Reply #629529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong thread for a cats fan to pipe up with that crap.

Reply #629533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was merely an observation.

Reply #629534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry force of habit with some of the cat types who feel the need to remind everyone of all the facts relating to making the cats look good.

Reply #629549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I hate those kind. It was just something struck me reading the article quote.

Reply #629550 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Credit for the fact though

Reply #629552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

love me some cat facts

Cat Facts #32 They are in the 2016/17 finals. Adelaide are not, despite finishing on top of the ladder.

Reply #629555 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

I actually thought Jaron Johnson from Perth would have been a nice pickup to replace Ferg. Thought he had good game but just too similar to Prather. I liked Jacobsen and thought being young he would be worth persisting with. I guess Hodgson signing could determine EJ's chances.

Reply #629556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JJ under Joey would flourish in my opinion.

Cairns was interested in JJ till the Cats offered him more.

Reply #629566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shano I totally agree I was saying that myself throughout the season. To the above anon careful karma never sleeps.

Reply #629574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have heard randle is wanting close to 500k! if that is the case its way too much. would have nothing left for the balance of the roster or atleast any other imports of any sort of quality, in my view would be much better spending that coin over two imports at say 300 and 200.

Reply #629596 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

Its hard to say.
It's not as though there is even a fixed cap any more, so we don't know what the total budget may be.

I seem to remember last year Randle saying that playing under Joey had rekindled his love of basketball? Sydney and possibly Brisbane would pay more, perhaps Melbourne if Ware doesn't return. But is Randle the type to chase top dollar if it means not playing for Joey? He seems to thrive under Joey's system. Would he want to run the shuffle for Gaze?

Plus I think that guys like Ware, Cotton, and possibly Dillard have shown that Randle is not irreplaceable.

Reply #629608 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"have heard randle is wanting close to 500k!"

You have not heard that. No way Randle is asking for that much for one season. $500k total for 2 seasons sounds right. He already has good money over his career and $200k-$300k is more than sufficient for him per season. He would only play for Adelaide in the NBL.

Reply #629654 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

You have not heard that. No way Randle is asking for that much for one season. $500k total for 2 seasons sounds right. He already has good money over his career and $200k-$300k is more than sufficient for him per season. He would only play for Adelaide in the NBL.

To paraphrase yourself, you do not know that. You may think that he's not worth that much, or in a more bullshit universe, you would actually turn down more money if you could get it just because you've earned more money in the past (he's not getting any younger and it's not like he can fall back on a commentating or public speaking gig once he's done playing).

For what it's worth, I agree that his value maxes out at $300K, which puts him in the upper echelon of MVP players and game winners, and deservedly so... I can't see that he'd have a problem with this value if he's happy to play NBL again, but it all depends on what other OS offers he gets and how they compare...

Is it at this point that we run some hypothetical numbers?

Randle* / Doyle
Sobey / Drmic / Teys
Creek / Import*
DJ / Deng
Hodgson / Jacobsen*

The bigger money earners already would be Randle (did the 36ers get specific sponsorship for him?) and DJ, possibly Creek with Sobey playing himself into a bigger payday but I would expect that it's a team option for his third year... They don't want to play hardball with Sobes at this point and play the "well, it's our option, take this lower amount and we promise to pay you more next season" card as we all know that NBL contracts aren't really worth the paper that they're printed on if a player doesn't want to stay...

Teys would be cheap, same with Jacobsen, I reckon Doyle is playing for a packet of hot chips for after the game?

Would Drmic have had many other offers? Had a good college career, I think everyone was expecting a lot more early on, I wonder if the 36ers got him cheap?

The problem with the new marquee player rule is that it only allows local players to be marquee, which really hinders some teams to bring back their higher quality imports, like Randle and to a lesser degree of possibility, Childress this past season...

2017/18:
Randle*: $500,000
Doyle: Hot chips ($5?)
Sobey: $150,000
Drmic: $60,000
Teys: $60,000
Creek: $120,000
Import*: $?
DJ: $150,000
Deng: $60,000
Hodgson: $80,000
Jacobsen*: $80,000

Total: $1,260,000

That's hitting the cap without a third import... My maths is probably off in some areas, but ball parks?

Reply #629661 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Wookie, I have a very rough idea on some of the guys salary and they are pretty accurate, obviously Sobey and Randle were not on that much this year, Jacobsen actually on a bit less I believe, but had accommodation covered etc.

Reply #629663 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Last I heard Randle was looking at about a mil, for 3 years. But I never really had that confirmed by anyone unfortunately.

Reply #629665 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wouldn't need to go that high for Jacobsen. Would've guessed him at $50-60k this season.

I think Drmic would've been higher than people thought. Deals for young players tend to ramp up, so he could be $100k+ this coming year even if he was $90k last season IMO. I think he was expected to be a bigger contributor.

Reply #629670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there an ongoing inquiry into the food incident?

Reply #629672 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Doyle: Hot chips ($5?)

I wish. Have to break out the tenner these days at TSA. Don't even want to think about Adelaide Oval prices.

Isaac, I think towards the end of the season we started to see a much better player in Drmic. When he started knocking down his threes and his free-throws, we ended up having in my opinion, a little more than expected. His defence is solid and he's a good rebounder, I think he uses his body well. Hopefully his trajectory continues and next year he could turn out to be a very nice signing.

Reply #629674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brunson out here telling people what they have or have not heard/know. Please. Randle is good but 100% replaceable with close to equal talent. He has been amazing for the 36ers but like Joey hasn't truly shown to be a winner. If they want to work as a combo so be it, but as much as I love his game I have minimal faith in his ability to get a ring.

Reply #629681 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

People are pulling numbers out of their asses without knowing anything about these players are being paid.

Reply #629705 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I've got a fair idea, they are not far wrong, besides what has been pointed out already.

Reply #629707 | Report this post

Indominus-Rex  
Years ago

If Randle really is asking for 1 Mill over 3 years then I'd take it for sure. It would end up being around 333k per year, so does the extra 33k really matter? Especially with the rumours of cashed up owners trying to buy Adelaide?

Reply #629710 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Not a rumour, there is a cashed up new owner. Still trying to get a confirmation on who it is without stalking and asking who I think it is myself...

Reply #629711 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

I would gladly pay 333k a season for what he brings. Would seem to be a good deal for both. If we keep everyone bar TFerg and maybe Jacobsen we should be very competitive

Reply #629730 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Jacobson on 50-100k???? That's a steal.
I put down part of the Sixers rise this year to finally having a big who bangs down low, goes for blocks on dunk attempts, hustles and alters shots.

IMO Jacobson worth more than 100k

Hope we keep him and Hodgeson as the twin towers, DJ can fluff about tugging his shorts at the 3 point line.

Reply #629733 | Report this post

Indominus-Rex  
Years ago

If that's the case Dave, then I'm sure that the owners would have no problem with signing Randle onto a 333k/yr contract.

Could you imagine if this Adelaide could manage to lure back Motum, I mean I know they wont, especially due to money, but just imagine a lineup like this.

Randle/Doyle
Sobey/Teys
Import/Creek
Motum/Jacobsen or anther import
Johnson/Hodgson

Now that team would be very very hard to beat.

Obviously not gonna happen, but it's an interesting thing to think about

Reply #629734 | Report this post

Indominus-Rex  
Years ago

Oh and I forgot about Drmic haha

Reply #629735 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Motum just got offered a shit load of euros doubt he'll be back anytime soon

Reply #629736 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Highest paid import in the league i think

Reply #629742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta love any Aussie that uses the word asses.

Reply #629750 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

hate to grng this thread towards respectabilty but I Have to point out that when making BOAT claims for the NBL ---- that even as late as the early 2000's local full time 24/7/12 professional players in the nbl were not always in the majority. defense is supported by fitness and scouting, bot of which greatly improve with the time to 9 and tecnology) to watch tape and engage or work with professional trainers.

In the guards positions it hard to know exactly how very well respected defensive players who played the number 1 spot like Wood, McLeod, Smyth, Mee etc would have done with that amount of time and support.

at the least you have to acknowledge that Martin has won the DPoTY 6 out of eight consecutive years, but then Smyth won it 4 times in eight years (only losing out to a very high profile Leroy Loggins one/2 years), and not even having any award made for 3 of those years !

Mee has 5 in an eight year spread.

It can be argued that both Mee and Smyth contributed more offensively to their Championship winning teams than Martin generally has to his.

martins' a future NBL hall of fame player , but its been shown that he absolutely needs a top 5 Shooting Guard ( or at least a SF) to be his partner to balance out his teams.

Reply #629753 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

please delete my above post

Reply #629779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why?

Reply #629811 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

in the wrong thread

Reply #629833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:28 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754