Discuss

Topic #40999 | Report this topic

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Back to Back, and No 8, simply awesome.

Reply #629899 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Cotton didn't sound like he was coming back is the only downer.

Reply #629913 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They never weren't. Each season, until they either don't make the playoffs or someone beats them in the playoffs, Perth and NZ are the teams to beat!

Hopefully that will change before too long!

Reply #629923 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

I think the Wildcats are a good example on how to win a championship. Hopefully if others can keep their cores together they will be even more competitive next year.

Reply #629930 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Trev struck gold in Cotton. Bailed him out. How lucky have we been this season. Great imports and very entertaining 36ers team locally. Hate Perth but they definitely hit form at right time. Look forward to how teams re-tool during the off season.

Reply #629962 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes, our roster definitely needs major re-tooling now that Redhage is retired ;)

Reply #629967 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Zing!

Reply #629971 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

The problem could come if Matt is forced to retire. Difficult to find quality locals, unless Brisbane lets go of somebody good, or someone heads home from Europe.
Could also be looking for new imports

Reply #629991 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Would want to sign Brandt up as a priority.

Imports very happy for McKay to stay, Prather you would be hopeful he'd be returning and on the 3rd import - hopefully we've learnt that we need to pair Martin with a scorer who can handle the ball ....Beal, Cotton - we know what we need.

Martin, Kenny, Wagstaff, Brandt, Dexter Kernich-Drew, McKay & Prather is a solid start...would have a bit of cash to see what we get for Knight & Redhage ...need to really nail the 3rd import and find an Aussie of some quality.

This season showed how tough it is ...I would expect Melb to be better with a coach, Sydney surely worked out that the balance of their team stinks, Adelaide were the best H&A .....It aint going to get any easier to reach 32.

Reply #629993 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Well done Wildcats. I didn't see a second of the season but I can just go back to the old standards. Best team came good at the right time. A true model franchise for what the rest of the teams should strive for. I'm jealous of their success (and even having a team to follow to be honest).
Well done Perth.

Reply #630015 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

I could be wrong but I think Brandt was signed to a 2 or 3 year deal.
McKay could depend on what happens with Knight and who his replacement is.
Prather and Cotton will both be looking to get NBA deals, which may mean staying in the D-league and looking for 10-day contracts.

Reply #630018 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth remains the benchmark of the competition.

- A consistent and quality Aussie core
- A good coach
- A good run with injuries
- Always having the cash to find quality imports.

When you put it like that, it's not a hard formula is it?

But most other teams are missing one or more of those elements.

Reply #630025 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Tony Mitchell 10 game ban. Confirmed by NBL

Reply #630027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather was very good when you needed wins to stay in it and excellent in the GF series, Cotton was the final Jewel in the crown. Bevo set the rest up with a good core of Aussies, plus Gleeson with the help of his assistants can coach.

Reply #630030 | Report this post

Lipton  
Years ago

Added to LV

The old adage of "You have to spend money to make money." rings true for the Wildcats.

- Exceptional marketing.
- Huge merchandise range compared to their counterparts.
- Front office willingness to replace imports during the season to improve on court results. Cotton's inclusion got them to the playoffs and therefore more income from more home games and increased merchandise sales.

Winning yesterday will enable the club to again raise their membership and sponsorship prices as there's demand to be associated with a winner.

Other teams seem to raise their prices every year outside of the inflation rate thinking they have ticket demand based on some good crowds at the end of the year.

Reply #630033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A good run with injuries? Pretty sure damo and knight missed significant time and at one point we had no active point guards.

They overcame their injuries better than any other teams and were healthy at the right time, well knight did miss game 3.

Cash is no guarantee for quality imports.

The culture they have created and their willingness to ensure the team mentality prevails is severely underrated.

Reply #630092 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:14 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754