Pizza Hut
Years ago

Cotton is the GF MVP

Well deserved. Someone mentioned his was a record for a GF game?

He said he would remember if for the rest of his life. Nice, but sounds like he will move on. I don't know if he can crack the NBA but some European team will offer him big dollars.

Hate to start one of those "is he the best" discussions, but is he better than Randle?

Topic #41001 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yes, he is better than Randle. One of the all-time great performances in GF history.

Reply #629940 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Unfortunately it didn't sound like he was sticking around for next season but if randle stayed then there is a small possibility cotton might.

But yes, he'd definitely be in the NBA if it weren't for his size. Is a bit streaky but IMO hes better than randle.

Reply #629942 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

He's too good for this league. I'm just happy we had him at all. Completely turned around Perth's season.

Reply #629943 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

A lot of assumptions being thrown around here.

One game does not make him better than Randle. Randle was more consistent overall than Bryce Cotton this season. Randle did not have the kind of supporting cast Cotton had to have success in the playoffs. It might be your opinion that Cotton is better than Randle, but it isn't by any means a self evident fact.

As for "but if Randle stayed", Randle's situation has not been sorted out yet. The 36ers offered him a multi-year deal, and so have Zalgris. Randle says he loves Adelaide; and I guess we'll see how that pans out. Also, why would Randle staying make Cotton stay? I don't understand that.

To say Cotton is too good for this league is to have a pretty low opinion of the league. If the league can pay for him, and if he is not outclassing everyone week in, week out, he is not too good for this league. He is a very good player in this league, however. But is he so much better than our other import point guards to say he is 'too good for this league'? I'd say he is just a symptom of the type of talent we can now bring here on a regular basis.

As for Cotton coming back or otherwise, he seemed to buy into the team and what it stood for. He likes the team chemistry and he likes his teammates. If the Wildcats can offer him a good salary, and if he isn't snapped up by the NBA on something half decent, I think there is a hope of him coming back. He's experienced Europe when he went to Turkey and then he opted out of that contract to go to the cats.

Reply #629949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God will tell him what to do not you people

Reply #629950 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm not saying that the NBL is not worthy of his services, I just think our chances of retaining him are unlikely because IMO he is good enough to get offers from elsewhere that NBL teams can't afford to match.
I don't mean it as a reflection of a league talent disparity as much as a budget disparity.

Reply #629954 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

ME, Randle did stay on longer than his first season so i merely stated that if a player of randles quality chose to stay on longer in this league then we can hope that cotton could do the same. I never said one signing has a bearing on what the other would do.

Reply #629957 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

We're not claiming anything on the back of one exceptional GF game.
Cotton played 11 games in the regular season. In those he narrowly surpassed Randle in most stats. However I think his big advantage was that he didn't have to be the primary ball-carrier, or the primary defender.

"As for "but if Randle stayed""
Not sure what Bol meant by that? Perhaps he was saying "hey, Randle stayed a 2nd season, so maybe Cotton will also"?

"To say Cotton is too good for this league is to have a pretty low opinion of the league"
I don't think Luuuc was disrespecting the league. But as a Wildcats fan our fear is that Cotton is good enough to get either an NBA deal or a lucrative European deal.
As somebody remarked in the other thread he's rather small for the NBA, but even a 3rd string PG role, polishing the bench would get him half a million dollars.

And I agree, that players like Cotton, Randle, Ware, etc show that we are capable of attracting that calibre of talent. Unfortunately for us fans it may not be the same players every season, but the talent level is consistent.

Reply #629958 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Played like a guy that needed to get on a flight home on Tuesday lol. 45 points in a final is a great audition for a NBA club.

Don't think he will be back personally and wish him success in the future, if that does happen to be at the wildcats then see you soon!

Reply #629960 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Great post ME. Read ppl on social media calling him the greatest NBL player ever. I would still back Loggins, Rose and co against Cotton. Not denying he was outstanding today but he did have off games. He was not outstanding in every game. Not sure why we have to comape him n Randle they are both great.

Reply #629966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Cotton is more of a team player and professional than Randle.

Reply #629969 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's a very good player, he's had big scoring games in the NBA and Euroleague, which not many NBL players in our history can say.

He seems better suited as a two-guard, I wonder whether he can stick as a PG in the NBA. That could determined whether he's back or not.

Given the 'Cats had three home playoff games, I reckon they might be keen to offer him some good coin to make sure they get that extra coin again next season!

Reply #629970 | Report this post

Indominus-Rex  
Years ago

Pizza Hut

No actually, pretty sure that Randle shot a FG %. 3pt shot %, had more assists all while doing that in less minutes.

Reply #629972 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

It's a bit of an issue just how much those playoff games are worth to a team that can pack 13k+ fans in at premium prices.
If you could guarantee those games it would be worth paying over the odds and paying the tax.

Reply #629973 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Next season we need someone who's just a little less awesome, so we can pack out a game 5 as well.

Reply #629974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME cotton is definitely better than Randle...

Reply #629982 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Cotton is not only a better player than Randle, more importantly he's a better big game player than Randle.

Only hope is that he doesn't get picked up in the NBA but I would think he'd be a pretty good shot seeming he is on the Hawks radar and today's effort would certainly not do his chances any harm.

Reply #629990 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Massive performance in a grand final game. Definitely NBA calibre, though also the exact sort of player we need to have on each NBL team. Cotton, Ware, Randle, Dillard, etc - fans will come and see them play.

Reply #630000 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

and more likeable than Randle, randle is selfish and too arrogant, didnt get his team over the line this season.

Reply #630011 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

Don't feel there's any need for that.

Reply #630016 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

I think Randle is likeable. Put Cotton on this 6ers team in place of Randle and they dont win the title. Randle has done it over 2 seasons too. They are both great players. Not sure we need to say one is better. Just hope one or both return next year.

Reply #630042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While he seems like he's off to bigger and better things, if Cotton doesn't crack into the NBA in the next 6 months I feel there's a slight chance he could return. He seems like he genuinely likes being here and if they can throw a big contract at him, he might be willing to stay.

What kind of contract do you think they'd need to offer to try and tempt him if he doesn't make the NBA? Obviously wouldn't be as much as some clubs in Europe could offer, but Australian lifestyle, country safety, Australian culture, club culture, English speaking, growing league, successful club, defending a title, etc could be factors for him.

Reply #630043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ you forgot climate/weather!

Reply #630081 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

I'm not sure why people keep calling him a pure point guard, he's clearly a combo guard leaning heavily towards the 2.

His height will probably hold him back unless he can pull an Isiah Thomas

Reply #630277 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:10 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754